Candles [Part Two]

Do You See Me?

Technically, I wasn't allowed to be driving yet. I mean, I had my permit and all, but I was due to get my official license after my birthday in December. My mom would absolutely flip her if she found out that I was driving dad's car on the highway at nearly midnight, but I wasn't too worried about it. If there was one thing my dad was a master of, it was calming my mom down before she unleashed hell on me.

I whistled softly as I cruised through the night, one window on the steering wheel as the other rested on the windowsill of my open window. Jungkook was sleeping peacefully in the back seat, too tired from being the birthday boy. Jimin was sitting next to me, feet up on the dashboard, idly scrolling through his phone. I was surprised that he hadn't fallen asleep too.

"Hey, Jimin." I whispered, so as to not wake Jungkook up.

"Yeah." He said, still looking at his phone.

"Are you sure Hyerin's not going to realize we're gone? I know that Tae's there to distract her and all, but..." My voice trailed off.

"I'm a thousand percent sure." He placed his phone in his lap and leaned against the headrest. "Whenever you're with Tae, you lose track of time. It'll be fine, trust me."

I sighed deeply and tried to think of ways to present Junghyun to Hyerin. Jungkook knew the commander of their Busan base, so we had called in and asked for a little favor. Junghyun had mentioned that he had saved up a few vacation days from the army in a letter, so we decided to use up one of them tonight. The commander had agreed to let him off the base until morning, as a reward for his model behavior as a soldier. I really wanted this surprise to be perfect.

"How long until we get there?" Jimin asked me, playing with his bangs absentmindedly.

"About twenty more minutes." I said thoughtfully.

"Is he coming to see us off to the airport?"

I bit my lip as I remembered that Tae and Jimin were leaving tomorrow. I had nearly thrown a fit when they had told me that they were leaving on our first day of school, which meant I wouldn't get to see them off. 

"Maybe. I don't know." I mumbled.

Jimin moved closer to me, leaning against my shoulder. I rested my head on his head and sighed.

"Are you going to miss us?" He picked at his fingernails.

"Of course I am." I smiled sadly. "You guys are my closest friends."

"Tae's worried that you'll forget about us." I could barely hear what he was saying.

"That's ridiculous." I scrunched up my face.

"It's a legitimate fear." Jimin played with the hem of his shirt. "I pretty much lost all of my friends when I became a trainee. I tried to keep in touch, but they were too damn busy to care."

I felt sadness creep over me. Did Jungkook think I was going to forget him too? Probably not.

"Well, your friends are poo-poo heads." I announced, making him laugh. "And I promise to never be too busy to hang out with you guys."

"How do you know that?" He sounded surprised.

"I just do." I smiled. "Friendship will find a way."

"I think it's 'Love will find a way'." He corrected me.

"I wasn't quoting Lion King, son." I tsked. "Besides, all of us are friends."

"But Jungkook is special, isn't he~" Jimin cooed.

"Shut up." I pushed him away, turning red.

"In a peeeerfect woooorld~" He began to sing. "One we've neeeever knooooown~"

"No, stop." I whined. "Make it stop."

He ignored my pleas. "We would never neeeed to face the world aloooooone~" 

I couldn't bring myself to be angry at him anymore. I have to admit, the boy had a pretty good voice.

"They can haaaaave the wooorld, we'll create our ooooown~" He continued to sing, beckoning me to join in as well. it, why not?

"I may not be brave or strong or smart~" I sang, trying to hold in my laughter. "But somewhere in my secret heaaaart-"

"Can y'all shut the up?" Jungkook mumbled from the back, making Jimin burst into laughter. "Let me sleep, for 's sake."

I pursed my lips together as Jimin howled from beside me. I shot him a dangerous look and he turned away from me, biting his finger to stop his explosive laughter.

"Grumpy old bastard." I cursed under my breath.

 

There was a slight hold up due to some construction on the highway, so we had to stop at a rest area until the crew left. I was getting really antsy, because it had been nearly an hour since we had left, and there was no way Hyerin wouldn't have noticed our absence.

I slumped into my seat dejectedly. Jimin was dozing beside me, while Jungkook had rushed off to the bathroom angrily cursing the supposedly spoiled salmon he had eaten. 

"Jimin." I tugged at his sleeve. "Jiminie, wake up."

"I'm not short, I'm just fun-sized." He mumbled, slapping my hand away.

"What?" I chuckled. 

"Huh? What?" He woke up, looking like a dazed baby. "I'm awake."

"Sure." I said sarcastically. "I'm bored."

"So?" He rubbed his eyes and yawned. I almost felt bad for waking him up.

"Talk to me." I yawned as well. "My brain is overthinking this and is going to drive me crazy. Distract me."

"Uhhh..." He scratched his head. "What do you want to talk about?"

"I don't know." I bit my lip. "Oh wait, nevermind. Tell me about Seoul."

"Seoul?" He sounded amused. "Why do you want to know about Seoul?"

"I should know what to tell Jungkook if he asks for my advice." I shrugged. "Plus, I want to know exactly what kind of a city it is."

"Well, you don't have to worry about the advice part." He put his feet up. "Us trainees have a very tight-knit group. Whenever a new guy arrives, the hyungs usually take him under their wing."

"Oh." I tried to hide the dissapointment in my voice. Will we lose our late-night talks too?

Jimin looked at me pitifully. "You should tell him how you feel."

"I don't know..."I stared at my hands. "If he wasn't moving away, maybe I would've said something."

"What difference does it make?" He looked at me.

"First of all, I'm not even sure he likes me." I sighed. "Secondly, even if he did, a long distance relationship at this age doesn't have a chance of working out. I'll be  busy with school and exams, and you guys would be busy training and practicing."

"I want to tell you that you're overthinking this, but you do have a point." He ran a hand through his hair.

"I know." I looked out my window. "But all of those things don't bother me too much."

"You're afraid of something else?" He blinked his eyes.

"He has a very fickle mind, unlike me." I smiled sadly. "The last thing I want is to be in a one-sided relationship."

Before Jimin could say anything else, Jungkook knocked at my window, asking me to open the door for him. I started up the car and backed out, as the crew seemed to have finally opened up the road. 

Both of them soon fell asleep, leaving me to my thoughts again. I hummed quietly,trying to think of how happy Hyerin would be to see Junghyun again. I decided I was going to record her reaction, so when many years pass by, they could look back and relive this time of their life. 

 

"Shhh." I put a finger to my lips as we tiptoed through the house. Junghyun, Jimin and Jungkook followed me as I led them upstairs, where Hyerin had supposedly fallen asleep. Jungkook's parents were standing right outside the bedroom, giggling like kids. I couldn't help but snap a quick picture of the two of them, wanting to capture this moment forever.

"You ready?" I whispered, turning to Junghyun.

"Yeah." He smiled. "Just a little nervous."

"Don't worry, she's not going to yell at you right away." I reassured him.

"It's not that." He adjusted his cap over his head. I looked at his head wistfully, mourning the loss of his wavy brown hair. "Every time I see her, she somehow manages to look prettier. I don't think my heart is ready for this."

"Oh my god." I groaned. "You're so ing cheesy. Let's go in already."

He nodded and twisted the door handle, pushing the door open slowly. Tae was sitting on Jungkook's desk, reading something. He looked up and bounded over to us, eager as always.

"Welcome back, hyung!" He whispered excitedly.

"Thanks, Taehyungie." Junghyun grinned. "How did you get Hyerin to fall asleep?"

"I put on this really boring movie with a sleepy soundtrack." He shrugged. "She fell asleep in a heartbeat."

"That's genius, Taetae." I patted him on the back.

"I know." He said, smugly. 

"All right, now beat it." I shoved him out of the room. I wanted them to have privacy. Privacy with me, of course.

Junghyun tiptoed to the bed quietly, and sat down beside her. Hyerin stirred in her sleep, frowning slightly. He just stared at her for a minute, before I hissed at him, telling him to wake her up. I pressed record on my phone's camera.

"Hyerin?" He took her hands in his and squeezed them slightly. "Baby, wake up."

She whined, seemingly annoyed by him.

He smiled and brushed the hair away from her face. "Come on, wake up."

She finally opened her eyes, frowning very intently. However, that expression didn't last very long.

"Junghyun?" Her voice was hoarse.

"Good morning." He kissed her forehead. She blinked couple of times, still confused.

"Is this a dream?" She asked, looking dazed. "Am I dreaming?"

"A dream can't be as handsome as I am, so no." He grinned.

"Oh my god." She gasped, knocking him backwards as she got up suddenly. Classic Hyerin.

He rubbed his forehead in pain as she wrapped him in a bear hug, squealing and yelling like a child. He hugged her back, yelling just as much as her.

"I don't believe this!" She exclaimed, squeezing him him to death. "You're here! You're here in front of me! How!?"

"We called in a few favors." I explained, since Junghyun was too busy being crushed by her. "The commander said he could stay here until morning."

She immediately let go of him. "You're not here on leave?"

"Unfortunately not." He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "We have an exam coming up this week, so we can't take any holidays."

"I don't care." She mumbled, burying her face into the crook of his neck. "I'm not going to let you leave."

"I'll be home for Chuseok." He her hair soothingly. "I promise."

"But that's like three weeks away..." She whined softly. I felt really bad for her at that moment. She wasn't one to ever complain or fuss over such things, so for her to be so affected by his absence was pretty big. 

He seperated himself from her and cupped her cheeks, leaning his forehead against hers. I tried to hide behind the desk because I felt like giving them the notion that they were alone. 

"I know, Ri-Ri." He sighed. Ri-Ri was a cute little nickname he had thought up for her, and she refused to let anyone else call her that. She had nearly drop-kicked me when I had about it. "But I'll be home for at least four days, so I'll take you on lots of dates and buy you lots of things, ok?"

"I don't want things." She grumbled.

"What do you want, then?" He asked her sweetly.

"I want..." She stared into his eyes. "...to sleep."

"Godammit Hyerin, this is supposed to be romantic." I hissed, causing them both to stare at me like I was a murderer.

"Jihye, please, get the out of here." She said calmly, which was basically the highest level of pissed she could get. If she was calm, you know you had ed up.

"At once, of course, understood." I bowed deeply and backed out of the room. "Don't forget to use protection!"

She threw a shoe at me, which hit me smack dab on the back of my head, making me fall flat on the floor. Ah, I was so lucky to have such a passionate best friend.

 

"Goodbye, guys." I hugged Tae and Jimin one last time. Tae's tears wet my shirt as he cried into my shoulder, mumbling incoherently about how much he was going to miss me. Jimin was a little more composed, but he clung on to me more, refusing to let go even when they were getting into their taxi. I stood in front of Jungkook's house, shivering as I watched them leave. 

"Hey." Jungkook said, coming up beside me. 

"'Sup." I sighed. 

"School starts in a few hours, you know." He looked at his watch. "It's nearly four in the morning."

"It's a half-day." I shrugged. "The teachers will probably be half asleep too."

He laughed softly, slinging an arm around my neck.

"Wow, you're really cold." He squeezed my shoulders. "Genius idea to wear shorts in this weather."

"Shut up." I smiled, elbowing him in the stomach. "I want the whole world to see my pasty legs."

"Well, your pasty legs aren't that bad." He commented, making me blush slightly. "They're pretty good for someone of your height."

"Damn right they are." I grinned proudly. "They're also good for crushing the skulls of my enemies."

"Only you can think like that, Jihye. Only you." He shook his head solemnly. 

We stood there quietly for some more time, in complete peace. I looked at him occasionally, admiring his messy hair and sleepy expression. I really was going to miss him a lot.

"You'll still be my friend after you move to Seoul, right?" I mumbled, staring at my shoes. 

"That's a ridiculous question, of course I am." He gave an amused look.

"You promise to keep in touch with me and call me everyday?" 

"That, I can't promise." he sighed. I looked away, sadness washing over me. 

"But I promise that I will think about talking to you the days that we don't actually talk." He grinned. "I'll still talk to you in my head."

"I can't decide if that's creepy or sweet." I laughed.

"Creepy or sweet, I don't care." He pulled me closer to him, resting his head against mine. "All you need to know is that it's going to be really hard to get rid of me."

"If you say so." I giggled, sneakily snuggling into his side even more.

"All right." He let go of me and started walking back to the house. I wrapped my arms around myself, feeling a little sad at the lost of warmth around me. "Let's go bug Hyerin and Junghyun. It's too damn cold outside."

"Hey, don't bother them." I shook a finger at him. "Let them be all lovey-dovey while they still can."

"But it's so much fun to tease couples." He pouted. 

"You're an evil little baby." 

He shrugged. "If you don't want me to tease others, then why don't you get a boyfriend yourself? I'll be able to tease you then."

I simply shook my head and followed him inside, smiling to myself. Maybe I should get a boyfriend.

Maybe it would be him.

--

Let me know what you guys think about the story so far! The comment section is a little lonely T.T