Books and Pens

Do You See Me?

I bit my lip as I stared at the algebra problem in front of me. Where had I seen this type of problem before? Oh yeah, that one page in our textbook which had an alligator solving math on a rock. I recalled the method by which I had solved that problem and applied it to this one.

There, I was done. I looked up at the clock, which indicated I had an hour or so to waste. I looked around me and discovered a sea of faces nearing the brink of a breakdown. I allowed myself a satisfied sigh, and leaned back in my chair. As I continued to survey and laugh at the sheer dismay of everyone in the room, my eyes caught those of another student, and my smile faded. He gave me an idiotic smirk and leaned back in his chair, mocking me. 

I narrowed my eyes at him and mouthed go yourself before turning my attention to the pen which I was balancing on my fingers like a boss.

One might wonder what heinous crime this person may have committed against me to invoke such hostility. I simply say that crime is existing.

Jeon Jungkook, or assface as I fondly called him, had waltzed into my class a few months ago, bringing with him an astounding genius and the ability to be the most bratty, stuck-up, snobbish person in the whole world.

When he first arrived, I thought he was awesome. He had an adorable face, incredibly toned arms, and he was pretty smart. Overall, he was hella fine.

Well, that was until he opened his mouth. The first words he ever said to me were telling me that he was "the smartest person to ever walk these halls" and that I should "be wary" of his "incredible hotness". Those words completely ruined him for me, since I cannot stand anyone with a holier-than-thou attitude. Ever since that day, it was a cat and mouse game between us, to see who could finish the test the fastest, or who could answer all the questions correctly.

I wouldn't mind this rivalry between us that much if I felt only hatred, but I also somehow had a crush on him. I never meant to crush on someone so full of himself, it's just that a part of my mind was stuck on my first impression of him, where he was a cute little rabbit who looked harmless. Do you know how annoying it is when you are trying to focus on hating someone, but your subconscious is just like 'look at his adorable cheeks and his cute little smile and ohhhh look at his muscles damn that is so hot' ?

I grumbled as I re-checked my last problem, feeling frustrated that there was nothing I could do to wipe that smug smirk from his face. I looked up at him again, and saw him trying to balance a pen on his finger, but utterly failing in the process. He looked at me with a 'oh did she see that' look, and I laughed mockingly, feeling proud of the fact that the golden boy had failed at something, whereas I had triumphed.

'look at those long fingers and perfect hands though, you wish you could be the pen' 

I groaned and buried my face in my arms. When was I ever going to get over this stupid infatuation?

The bell rang just then, signaling the end of class. I gathered my stuff and made a beeline for the door, before he could stop me and ask me-

"Hey, genius, how fast did you finish the test?" He questioned, blocking my way with his arm.

"Faster than you, assface." I spat, giving him a death stare.

"Aww, did you now? I saw you struggling with that last problem. What's the matter? Can't do simple math anymore?" He cooed, before breaking into that stupid chuckle of his.

"Whatever, at least I have the hand-eye coordination to balance a measly pen." I retaliated, and shoved his arm aside before strutting to the door, leaving him to glare daggers at me. 

--

"Ah, finally. Last period before we get to go home" I said, stretching.

My friend looked up. "You looked oddly calm today. Didn't Jungkook bother you at all?"

I rested my face on my hands. "Yeah, he was giving me attitude after we took the test. But I put him in his place." I smiled, remembering the look on his face. 

"I don't get it though, how can you enjoy insulting him when you like him?"

"Oh, hush Hyerin. He's literally sitting right there, and you know he hears like a bat." I said warily, looking back to see him messing around with his friends. He looked at me and winked, making me scrunch my face up in disgust, much to the amusement of him and his sidekicks.

"ing tease." I murmured under my breath.

"So Jihye, how would you like your first date to be~?" She asked me in a sing-song voice, and I shot her a dangerous look.

", please. You can't scare me with that icy stare of yours, so why don't you go ahead and tell me what you would do?" She said, flipping her hair.

I sighed, and started to think. "Well, if I had a first date with someone, someone who is not necessarily in this room, I would go to the park."

"That's pretty boring." She commented. "But please, elaborate."

"You want me to elaborate? Ok, get ready then." I cleared my throat and cracked my knuckles, as if to give a speech. "I would wear a white shirt with a pink cardigan and denim shorts. I would tie my hair up, and carry along a messenger bag. Then, he would show up and we would walk to the park, talking about random stuff. Once we reach the park, which hopefully is by a lake, we would buy some hot noodles at that one stall near the entrance that sells awesome food, and sit by the water and talk some more. Then we would walk to the bus stop, get on the bus, and I would sit away from the window. I would rest my head on his shoulder, and he would hum a nice song. In the end, we would kiss goodbye and-"

Hyerin clapped a hand over my mouth. 

"I wasn't aware you were a crazy person." She laughed.

I pushed her hand away. "You wanted me to elaborate, so there you go." I said, in a matter-of-fact way.

"But it's gonna be impossible to get any guy to do those exact things!" She cried. "It's like you've described a date in every Korean drama ever." She said, shaking her head.

"Exactly. By setting up really high standards, no one would want to date me, so I can focus on my studies." I informed her. 

"Ugh, you and your stupid sense of morality. What was that thing you told me last week? That you were never gonna drink?" She said, raising her eyebrows.

"Nothing wrong with not wanting to drink alcohol. I don't like the thought of being drunk, because you don't really have much control of your body. Plus, I've heard it tastes ing horrible." I  said, taking a sip of water. 

"Hmm" She said, not really paying attention to my statement.

I rested my head on my arms and heard soft singing behind me. I turned back to see Jungkook humming a song by Roy Kim. He looked so cute at that moment, as if his stuck-up attitude never existed. His eyes were closed peacefully, and he swayed from side-to-side, striking guitar chords in the air.

I closed my eyes too, and quietly hummed along. We stayed like that until the bell rang. As I packed my things, he shoved past me while saying "Saintly Jihye", and instead of coming back with a cutting remark, I ignored him, which apparently irked him quite a bit.

'Imagine hugging him while he your hair, singing that song'

I quietly smiled to myself, agreeing with my subconscious for once.