Right Now

Do You See Me?

Jihye's POV, 5 months later:

It was summer now. I was sitting on a swing at the park, memorizing the chemical makeup of different medicines.

I looked around, breathing in the cool morning air. I often came here to study, away from the noise and excitement of the city. The old man who raked the leaves and cleaned the park equipment waved to me, smiling. I smiled back.

College was an interesting experience. I was living in Seoul with Hyerin, away from my parents and away from Busan. It took some getting used to, but I liked it. I was my own person now, dependent on no one.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. Hyerin had send me a text.

"Leaving for classes now. Btw Junghyun's coming over in the evening so pls make some good food. Study well."

I sighed. Junghyun had practically moved in with us since his enlistment had gotten over a couple of months ago. 

"Why should I make the food?"

"Because I'm older than you." Her response was instantaneous.

"stfu I'm not making "

"This is how you treat your best friend ok I see how it is"

"Ugh fine but u have to wash the dishes."

"Ok. Where are you now?"

"Hak-dong park. The usual."

"Don't eat the churros from there. It'll give you diarrhea."

"Your face is diarrhea" I made a face at my phone.

"ing fight me Jihye, this has gone too far you little ungrateful piece of sh-"

I turned my phone off and stuffed it into my pocket. Hyerin was my best friend, but she could be a little much at times.

"Good morning, young lady." The old man sat on the swing beside me.

"Morning, grandpa." I grinned. 

"What are you doing here so early?" He questioned, pulling out a rice cake from his pocket. "Studying for a test?"

"Yeah." I patted my textbook. "What about you? You usually don't clean on weekdays."

"Ah, about that." He sighed. "Some people are going to have a show here, it seems."

"Show?" I asked. "Like a singing show?"

"Yes." He munched on his cake. "It's not that big, though. Apparently not a lot of people know they're going to be here."

"Oh, I see." I swung my legs. "Do you know who they are?"

"I'm not sure." He said, thoughtfully. "All I know it's a group of young boys. They're quite popular, I think."

"Oh." I bit my lip. Could it be...?

"They said they'll be here soon." He looked at his watch. "If you stick around, you'll get to see them too."

"I don't know." I smiled, picking on the binding of my book. "I might just head home and take some rest. I don't have any classes today."

"It's up to you." He shrugged, getting up. "Well, my job here's done. See you soon."

"Yep." I waved him off.

I pulled out my phone and checked twitter. BTS hadn't mentioned any future performances. I leaned my head against the metal chain, scrolling through their tweets. I stopped at one of Jungkook's selfies. He looked happy.

I had done it again. I had stopped talking to him again. I don't know what happened that day in the park. One moment we were laughing and holding hands, and the next I was running away, tears in my eyes. I was such a .

A notification appeared on top of my screen. They had tweeted something.

"Hello army! Jin hyung, Suga hyung, Tae-hyung (keke see what I did there) and me are singing at Hak-dong park today! Come and see us practice keke #it's_ Jungkookie"

Hak-dong park.

That's where I was.

 

Jungkook's POV:

"Jungkook, hurry up." Yoongi's impatient voice called out to me.

"Gimme a minute, gosh." I adjusted my beanie over my head, straightening up my jacket. "What's the temperature like?"

"Come out here and find out for yourself!" Tae yelled. I grumbled and picked up my phone, stuffing it into my pocket before joining the others in the car.

"Ugh, it's so warm." Yoongi fanned himself with a newspaper. "My hair is already dripping with sweat."

"Don't be such a downer." Jin shook a finger at him. "Aren't you excited to do an impromptu performance like this?"

"I am!" Taehyung exclaimed. "I don't think there's going to be too many fans present, however."

"It's mainly going to be the fansite leaders." I said, scrolling through my phone. "They got the invites earlier."

"I see." Jin looked at his watch. "We'll be there for around three hours, so what do you guys want to do later?"

I didn't pay much attention to their conversation after that. Mainly because I had stumbled across some old texts on my phone.

"Jungkookie, Jungkookie, won't you come over and give this project a jung-lookie?"

They were from Jihye, back when we had first called a 'truce' and become friends. Her puns didn't make me laugh like they used to, though. They made me miss what I had.

"Don't forget about my cake!!! I want tiramisu huhu"

I closed my eyes. These messages were from her birthday.

"What time will you be coming?"

"Hello?"

"Are you stuck in traffic? Where are you? Did you get the cake already?"

"Jungkook??"

"It's cold outside."

"Goodbye."

I bit my lip. I had read these messages over and over again, cursing myself for forgetting her birthday. Taehyung leaned over and saw what I was reading.

"You ok?" He whispered.

"Yeah." I sighed. He slung an arm around my shoulder and leaned his head against mine. I snuggled into his side, trying to forget about her. Trying to forget how her laugh sounded like, care-free and childish. Trying to forget that I liked her.

My phone beeped. 

"Jungkookie, where are you?" It was Hyerin. Even though Jihye had stopped talking to me, Hyerin still kept in touch. 

"On my way to a performance. Why?" I borrowed Yoongi's newspaper and fanned myself with it.

"At Hak-dong park?"

"Yeah, why?" 

She didn't respond, and I leaned against the window, closing my eyes and sighing in relief at the comfort the cold glass provided me. I knew that they lived together in Seoul. I had spotted Jihye around town a couple of times, throwing her now-long hair back behind her shoulders and tugging at the one strand that always fell on her face. I didn't have the courage to go up and talk to her.

I was scared that she would run away from me again.

 

I had fallen asleep on the way to the park.

"Jungkook." Jin's voice woke me up. "We're here."

"Ahhhhh, it's a good day." Tae got out of the car, stretching his arms. 

"Pull your shirt down, your stomach is showing." Jin scolded him.

"So what? It's fan-service." He grinned cheekily as the stylists rushed to put on our make-up. I leaned against the car, still half-asleep. It was a pretty lazy day.

"What are Namjoon and others doing?" Yoongi asked, dodging from the lipstick the stylists were trying to put on him.

"Hoseok is trying to teach Namjoon the choreo for a new dance." Jin explained. "Truthfully, I should've been there too, but someone needs to look after you guys."

"We're adults!" Tae complained, playing with a toy boat his stylist had given him to keep him busy while she did his hair.

"Sure." He muttered sarcastically. I chuckled and looked around. There actually weren't a lot of people here, only a few girls here and there setting up their cameras and talking to each other. 

My eyes fell on a particular bike parked right outside the park. The left handlebar was half-broken and the paddles were painted a mint-green. The basket was almost falling off and the metal chain was slightly crooked, as was the back wheel.

This looks like Jihye's bike, I thought. No, that's insane. She can't be here.

"All right, they're ready for us." Our manager announced. "There's about 300 people in the audience, so it's quite small. Let's go."

"We'll do our best." All four of us bowed, and started walking to the stage, which was literally just a box of sand.

Banners flew high and high pitched squealing filled the air as we took our seats on the stools, grinning and waving to our fans. I liked performing for a small audience. It reminded me of my performance at the awards show back in school.

My phone beeped again, and Hyerin's name flashed across the screen. The members were taking turns talking about the show and what songs we were going to be singing, so I snuck a peek at the text.

"She's there Jungkook."

"What? What do you mean?"

"Jihye's in Hak-dong park right now."

--

Are you guys liking the story so far? It might end up being a little long XD