Sweater

Do You See Me?

 

Jihye's POV:

His mom knew.

Even his mom somehow knew I liked him. How the is that possible? Like, the moment we had heard the front door close, she turned to me and grabbed my shoulders, staring me right in the eye and said, "I know you like my son. And just so you know, I approve of you. Good luck." 

Even though those words made me really happy, they also worried me. Was his mom going to tell him? Was she going to ask him out for me? How did she approve of me even after I had called her son a brat? 

I groaned and wrapped my arms around myself. It was five in the morning, and I hadn't slept a bit. That meant I was probably going to fall asleep by seven in the evening, which wasn't great news since the party started at eight. Oh well, maybe someone could prop me up during the cake-cutting ceremony.

I looked at my phone. My birthday message still remained unanswered, along with the dozens of follow up messages which contained embarrassing photos of him. Was he ignoring me? Wait, no, it was five in the morning. I needed to chill.

" you Jungkook." I mumbled sleepily, rolling around in my bed. 

My phone rang right then, his number flashing across my screen. I let it ring for a couple of minutes and put on my best 'I was asleep and you disturbed me' voice.

"Ugh, hello?" I said, in an incredibly hoarse voice.

"Hey, Jihye." His voice sounded really soft. I felt my anger melt away in an instant.

"Why are you calling me at five in the morning?" I asked. 

"I...don't know." I heard him sigh. 

"Ok, weirdo." I chuckled. "Do you want to talk about something?"

"Um, yeah, sure." He hesitated. "Did I wake you up? I'm sorry if I did. Actually, you know what, I changed my mind. You should go back to sleep, and I forget I ever called. Sorry."

"Wait, stop." I said hurriedly. "Don't worry about me. Are you ok? You seem a little weird."

He didn't respond. Instead, I heard something that sounded like static on the other line.

"Jungkook?"

"...I'm leaving to go to Seoul for full time training in December, and I don't know when I'll be coming back to Busan after that."

I stayed silent for a while, trying to process that information. 

"Jihye, are you still there?"

I snapped back into reality. "My birthday's in December." I said quietly. 

"I know..." I heard him exhale. "I'm going to be leaving after Christmas."

"So you'll be there for my birthday?" I picked at my lips nervously.

"Yep." His voice sounded sort of distant. "It's the 22nd, right?"

"Yeah." I sunk down on my bed. 

Silence filled the room again. I shivered in my blanket.

"Tae's birthday is in December too." He said suddenly.

"Oh." I pulled my sleeves over my hands and rubbed them together. "I didn't know that."

"You seem to spend a lot of time with him."

I furrowed my brows. "I guess. Why?"

"Do you like him?"

I felt my heart race and my cheeks heat up. I wasn't cold anymore.

"Dude, no." I tried to play it cool. "Why would you ask that?"

"I don't know."

"Jungkook, you're officially insane." I informed him.

"I know, just...I'm a little...you know, scared." I heard his voice quiver. 

"Of me liking Tae?" I laughed. A part of me hoped he would say yes.

"Of moving to Seoul!" He cried. "Jesus woman, not everything is about you."

"Calm down, I was kidding." I mumbled. "Seoul seems like a nice place, though."

"Yeah, but it's not Busan." He sighed. "People there talk funny and are too busy to greet you when you pass by them on the sidewalk."

"You need to keep an open mind." I stared at the ceiling. I had never been to Seoul, so I knew absolutely nothing about living there. "You'll soon fall in love with it's little quirks and traditions."

"I don't have any friends there."

"You have Tae and Jimin." I smiled. Those two always made me smile. "Plus, you can talk to me if you're feeling extra scared. Of course, I'll call you a little , but I'll try to encourage you all the same."

"Gee, thanks."

 

Jungkook's POV:

We were still talking when the sun peeked out from behind the clouds and coated the sky in a rich, orange color. 

"Have you finally fallen asleep?" I asked her.

"You have to realize that I can't fall asleep if you ask that question every damn second." Her voice was gravelly and annoyed.

I laughed softly. "Why don't you hang up then?"

"Why don't you hang up?" She repeated, sounding like a drunk child. Dealing with a sleepy Jihye was like dealing with someone who had chugged down a six-pack of beer.

"Now you're the one sounding weird."

"Well, your face is weird and poopy and it doesn't make sense!" She yelled and started giggling. 

"Go to sleep, Jihye." I rolled over to my side and picked on the little stitches of the mattress. "You need to be there for my birthday."

"Yeah, it's probably the only one I'll ever attend." She muttered. "It really that you have to leave."

"It does, doesn't it." I sighed, burying my face in my arms. "I don't want to leave."

"Don't worry, my little Kookie." She yawned. I didn't bother getting angry at the nickname. "You're going there to turn your passion into your job. Not many people get to do that, you know."

I sighed heavily. How she managed to put me at ease even when she was half asleep, I did not know.

"Let's not talk about me leaving." I stretched and wiggled my toes. 

"What do you want to talk about?" 

I thought about it for a minute. "If you could have one thing in the world, what would it be?"

"Your sweaters!" She squealed, without missing a beat.

"Really? Out of all the things you could have possibly chosen?" I chuckled. "What is it with you and stealing my clothes?"

"You have good fashion sense." She said thoughtfully. "Plus, I look much better in your clothes than you do. Trust me, I'm doing them a favor."

"You're so ing mean." I grumbled. "Anyway, my sweaters deserve someone that can take care of them well."

"I can take care of them!" I could hear the excitement in her voice. "I'll never ignore them. They'll be right in front of my closet, and I'll even hand-wash them if you'd like."

"Did I say you could have them?" I scoffed.

"Pleeeeeeeeeease Jungkookieeeee~" She cooed.

"Well..." I played with my bangs absentmindedly. "Do you promise to wear them at least once a week?"

"I'll wear them everyday!"

I smiled to myself. Maybe she wouldn't forget about me after all. 

"Fine, I guess you can have one or two." I said, trying to sound as indifferent as I could.

"Aw yeah." She giggled sleepily. "But I'm going to take more than just a few sweaters."

"I feel like you're sad just because you won't be able to take my clothes anymore." I pouted. 

"That's not true." She protested. "I'll miss your snapbacks as well!"

"Wow, how touching." I pretended to cry. "Are you even going to miss me at all?"

"I am." She said in a voice barely above a whisper. "Because I really like yo-"

"JEON JUNGKOOK!"

I dropped my phone and my head snapped towards the door, where I saw Jimin standing with a murderous expression on his face. Green paint dripped from his hair and hands and I remembered that I had filled his shampoo bottle with expired paint from when I had painted my room. Why did I think that was a good idea?

"You're going to pay for this, you ing brat!" Jimin growled as he jumped on me, squishing me to death. For someone his height, he sure was heavy as . I tried to push him off, but he instantly started tickling me, which made me lose my .

"I'm not going to stop until you ing apologize for all these ty pranks you've pulled on me, you ."

The next fifteen minutes consisted of me saying sorry over and over again as Jimin recounted every single time I had disrespected him. He finally relented when I addressed him as 'hyung' and promised to bow to him whenever I greeted him.

"Talk , get hit." He smiled smugly.

I held up both of arms in surrender as he left the room, leaving me in absolute agony. I saw my phone laying on the ground and I remembered that Jihye had said something to me right before the little monster had attacked me. I crawled towards to my phone as I desperately tried to recall what she had said, because I knew it was something really important.

Did she say she would miss me? Or was it something else? I picked up my phone, hoping to apologize to her. 

 

But she had already hung up.