Little Bit

Do You See Me?

Jihye's POV:

I woke up a few hours later, feeling much better. I tried to shift onto my back, but Jungkook's arms prevented me from doing so. I opened my eyes to see his sleeping face, lips curved into a blissful smile.

"Such a baby." I whispered, tracing his nose with my finger. "Do you really like me?"

He mumbled something incoherent and tightened his grip around me.

"This is too good to be true, right?" I sighed, shifting closer to him. "You'll get bored of me soon enough."

He frowned, slowly waking up. I pressed a quick kiss to his nose before he completely woke up.

"Mmm." He hummed sleepily. "Time?"

I pulled out my phone from under the pillow. "1:00 a.m."

"Ugh." He groaned, burying his face into my hair. "Stage rehearsals start tomorrow morning."

I stayed silent, picking on the fading logo on his sweatshirt. 

"You wanna come?" He pulled away slightly, as if to look at me. I curled up even more, hiding my face from his view. 

"'s ok." I mumbled. "You'll probably get in trouble."

"I don't really care." He said nonchalantly. "There won't be any fans, so I don't think our manager would mind."

"What would I even do there?" I asked, feeling a little irritated. "Watch you guys dance?"

"We're not that bad." He chuckled. "And stage rehearsals are a lot of fun. We usually just goof off."

"Why do you need to go then?" I grumbled. "You won't be missing out on anything, right?"

"Well, it's important." He gave me a half-amused, half-serious laugh. "Do you want me to stay?"

"Would it make a difference if I said yes?" I wiggled out of his arms, sitting up. Pain shot through my head and I hissed, massaging my temples. Damn migraines.

"Wow, someone's touchy." He shifted to look at me.

"I just woke up from a nap." I crawled out my blanket. "Plus I have a headache. And everything hurts. And I probably won't see you for another week."

"Two weeks." He bit his lip. I rolled my eyes, climbing out of bed. 

"Two weeks." I repeated sarcastically, tying my hair up. I heard him sigh and shuffle out of bed, walking up beside me.

"Are you upset?" He asked quietly, tracing patterns on the surface of my desk.

"A little." I replied, playing with my fingers. "I mean, aren't we supposed to have like a honeymoon phase? Where we're just having fun, and going on cute dates, and not fighting?"

"We kinda had that when we were still friends." He lips curved into a half smile. 

"Only it would have been weird if I had kissed you back then." I allowed myself a smile as well.

"It's still weird when you kiss me now." He tiptoed closer to me, our hands lightly brushing against each other. 

"If you're gonna kiss me now, I'll probably throw up." I looked up at him, grinning cheekily. "Just a warning."

"You chose the perfect time to be sick." He grumbled. "It's so ing frustrating."

"Spoken like a true hormonal teen." I laughed, brushing past him. I could feel his glare on my neck. "Speaking of getting sick, I got you something."

"If it's one of those stupid memes of my face, I swear to god-" 

"Here." I shoved the album into his hands, cutting him off.

"What is-" He began. "Oh my ing god. Sweden Laundry. A Sweden Laundry album."

"Autographed, too." I crossed my arms, leaning against the wall. 

"No ing way!" He exclaimed, opening it up. A wide smile spread across his face, showing off his bunny teeth. "Where did you find this?"

"That's not important." I coughed. I had traded one of his favorite photocards after all. "Do you like it?"

"I love it." He looked at me, his expression softening. "Is this why you were out in the rain?"

"Yeah." I smiled sheepishly. "In my defense, I thought you were really mad at me, so it was an impulsive decision."

"Oh, Jihye, I wasn't mad." He came closer to me, leaning his forehead against mine. "I just missed you."

I grinned, ducking my head and hiding my face in his shirt.

"Aw, are you feeling shy?" He teased, my hair. "You pretend to be all unfeeling and , but look at this. Can't even handle me telling you that I missed you."

"Shut the up." I hissed. "I'm older than you. Stop teasing me."

"Little hard to take you seriously when you're clinging to me like a drowning cat." He chuckled. 

"Fine, no more hugs for you." I let go of him, but he wrapped his arms around my waist instead.

"That rule only applies to you." I smirked. "I can give you as many hugs as I want."

"Ugh, I hate you." I mumbled.

"You know you loooooove meee." He sang. "Don't you?"

"No. I don't. Go away." I pushed him, making him laugh even more. But as he suddenly lifted me up, carrying me to living room while singing obnoxiously, as he set me down on the couch and wrapped me in blankets, telling me how pretty I looked despite my dark circles and messy hair, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't half in love with him already.

 

Jungkook's POV:

"So what do you wanna do tonight?" I asked, sitting on the floor beside the couch. She yawned and pulled the blankets over her head, so only her eyes showed.

"Hmm." She nibbled on blanket, thinking. "Coffee. I want coffee."

"Like, you want me to make you some?" I scratched my head. 

"No, that's boring." She pursed her lips. "This is the last time I'm seeing you like this, we gotta make it count."

"Well, I have a break after our comeback." I told her. "It's not going to be like this forever."

"It's more fun to pretend that it's our last night before the world ends or something." She giggled hoarsely. 

"So it's our last night before we die, and you wanna get coffee?" I laughed. 

"Mmhmm." She nodded her head. "Let's go searching for obscure, quaint cafés filled with hipsters and old Parisian music. It'll be so much fun!"

"It's two in the morning." I looked at the watch. "What café is going to be open now?"

"Dunno." She shrugged, shucking the blankets off and getting up. "But that's the point! It's an adventure!"

I stared at her as she let her hair down, combing through it with her fingers. She grabbed a water bottle and bottle of pills before throwing on one of my jackets, turning to me impatiently.

"Come on, Jungkookie!" She skipped over to me, pulling me up by my arm.

"Let me put on some shoes-" I tried to protest, but she dragged me out of the apartment before I could do anything, whistling the theme song of Little Einsteins.

 

 

"So it's two-thirty in the morning, and I'm walking around Hongdae searching for hipster cafés without shoes and a flu-ridden girl by my side." I sighed.

"Yep." She grinned happily. "You don't have to worry about fans spotting us."

"You never know, there might be some here, even at this time." I turned to her. "You should've at least let me put on some shoes."

"Oh, look at that café!" She exclaimed, completely ignoring my complaints. "Let's go check it out."

I smiled to myself as she hobbled forward, my jacket (which was two sizes too big for her) flapping in the wind. How could someone be so cheery when they were sick?

She continued to hobble until she reached their front door, but for some reason, she didn't go in.

"What's wrong?" I asked, strolling up beside her.

"Um, you go in first." She mumbled, looking down at her feet. "Dammit Jungkook, why aren't you wearing any shoes?"

"Because you didn't let me!" I cried. Jihye clapped a hand to my mouth, shushing me.

"This is a bad idea." She furrowed her brows, turning to leave. "Let's just go to 7/11 or something."

"No ing way." I shook my head, grabbing her wrist. "The world is ending, and I want my hipster coffee. You can't chicken out."

"Ugh." She groaned, hiding behind me. "You do the talking."

I almost for being a wimp, but then I remembered that I used to make her get ketchup packets for me because I was too scared to talk to the cashier. I exhaled, pushing the doors in. The bell dinged, and some foreign lady reading an American magazine looked up from the counter.

"." I cursed under my breath, frantically trying to recall the English I had learned from American Hustle Life. Dammit, I should've paid more attention in class.

"Uh...hello." I said in English. I heard Jihye snicker behind me as the lady gave me an amused smile. "Uh...I want...uh...coffee drink, please."

"Sure thing, honey." She chuckled. I bit my lip, praying that she wouldn't ask me anything I didn't understand. "Would you like to see a menu? We've got plenty of options."

"Uh...what." I asked flatly. Jihye wheezed behind me.

"A menu?" The lady said, offering me a menu. 

"Oh, uh, yes please." I mumbled, almost snatching the it from her outstretched hand. "Uh, thank you."

"No problem. Our food options are on the back, if you guys would like something to eat as well." She smiled, speaking in Korean. I mentally slapped myself as Jihye burst into laughter behind me. Of course, this was why she didn't go in first. 

 

We were sitting on their patio, Jihye sipping her mocha while I had my espresso. I had also managed to make her buy me a glazed donut, bribing her with Eric Nam's cell phone number. 

"'Uh...what'." Jihye imitated me, laughing hysterically. "ing priceless."

"How was I supposed to know that she spoke Korean?" I tried to defend myself. "Like, she has blonde hair and blue eyes."

"She's in Korea, ." She wiped the tears from her eyes. "And she works in a cafe, so she interacts with Korean customers everday."

"Whatever." I scoffed, turning away. Soft French jazz filtered through the open doors of the cafe, and the smell of coffee filled the air. I took a deep breath, wanting to remember everything about this moment. The clear sky, the bright stars, Jihye absentmindedly playing with my fingers, and the sound of her voice quietly humming one of my songs. I was in love with this moment.

I looked at Jihye, who busy picking off the glaze from my donut, nibbling at it like a squirrel. Was I falling in love with her too?

 

"What'cha lookin' at?" She asked, sounding strangely chipper. "Is there glaze on my face?"

"No." I cleared my throat, slightly breathless. "Why are you destroying my donut?"

"I love glaze." She grinned. "But I hate icing. And double chocolate cupcakes."

"You're so weird." I commented, tapping a beat on the cobblestone beneath us. She scowled, before reaching over and taking a sip of my espresso.

"Ew, yuck." She made a face. "Never mind. I was going to drink it up as retaliation, but it tastes too gross."

"Even honey is bitter to someone as sweet as you, baby." I put on my most cringe-worthy voice.

"I think I'm gonna be sick." She groaned, making me laugh. 

"No, idiot, I'm serious." She rubbed the bridge of her nose, frowning. "I don't feel good."

"You ok?" I got up and walked to her side, feeling worried. I put a hand to her forehead, which was incredibly warm. "You're burning up."

"The medicine is wearing off." She rubbed her eyes. "I'll be back to my dying state soon."

"You wanna go back home?" I offered, putting my jacket on her. "It's almost four."

"Where are we going to get a taxi now?" She said, sounding irritated. "I don't wanna walk back home, I'm too tired."

"I can just book a cab online or something." I took out a scarf from my pocket and wrapped it around her neck, covering her nose as well. "We'll have to wait for some time, though."

She groaned again, leaning her head against my stomach. "We should've just stayed home."

"Hey, it's ok." I patted her hair lightly. "Do you want me to carry you home?"

"Mm." She her lips, coughing. "Are you sure?"

"These muscles aren't just for show." I chuckled, and she gave me a small smile.

"Alright, let's do it." She agreed. I turned around and knelt down, waiting for her to climb on. She gingerly looped her arms around my neck while I held her legs, taking a deep breath as I got up. She was a little lighter than I remembered her to be back in school, which surprised me.

"Have you been eating well these days?" I asked, blushing slightly as she tucked her head into the crook of my neck, lips brushing against my skin.

"Not really." She mumbled. "They had to cut back on the nursing staff, so our hours increased. I don't have time to even grocery shop."

"You seem pretty light." I commented, trying to focus on the road rather than her legs that were wrapped around my waist. Why was she wearing shorts when she was sick? "It's not good for your health."

"Don't go all parental on me." She grumbled, tightening her grip around me. "That's Hyerin's thing."

"Sorry." I muttered. "I'm just concerned, that's all."

"Hmm." She nuzzled against my neck, making me blush again. God, I was hopeless. "You wanna be my boyfriend?"

 

I froze in my tracks, unsure if I was hearing the right thing.

"What did you just say?" I asked, trying to look back at her. She turned her head the other way, avoiding me.

"You don't have to." She mumbled, her voice sounding oddly high pitched. "If you wanna wait-"

"No." I blurted out, startling her slightly. "I mean, yes. Wait, no. Yes, I do. No, I don't want to wait, but yes, I want to be your boyfriend. Does that make sense? I don't think it does. Wow, I'm holding your legs in my arms. And you're wearing shorts. Is it hot out here? I think I have the flu. Do-"

"Jungkook, hush." She clapped a hand over my mouth, stopping me. "And quit staring at my legs, you ert."

"Yes, ma'am." I squeaked, continuing to walk.

"What a dork." She commented, pressing a tiny kiss to my neck. "A cute dork. My dork."

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my heart beat. She certainly wasn't helping.

"I had so many things planned for tonight." She sighed wistfully. "We were going to get coffee, then we were going to fake-save the world by praying real hard to the river spirit, then we were going to celebrate that victory by getting food and eating it on the rooftop of a house while watching the sun rise. But then I got sick."

"I had fun just getting coffee." I said softly. "We had a literal date night."

"A very productive one." She rubbed her face against my shoulder. "I scored my first boyfriend."

"Hallelujah." I cheered. "But you're not twenty-one yet, so you technically broke your little rule."

"Can't be a saint all the time." She yawned. "Though I really wish I had broken that rule because of Zico. What a waste."

"Tough . You're stuck with me now." I shrugged. "I'm your Tough Kookie."

"Oh my ing god." She smacked my head. "That's a really bad joke."

"You know you're going to make a meme out of it." I smirked. "That 's what you're going to do, isn't it?"

"God, I hate you so much." She knocked her head against mine. I laughed, talking to her until she eventually fell asleep against me. Since I had the keys to her apartment, I let myself in and carried her to her bedroom, tucking her into bed.

"Get better so I can kiss you again." I kissed her forehead, brushing the hair away from her face. "I'll see you in two weeks, ok?"

I got up from her bedside and walked out of her room, shooting her one last look before I left. I heard her mumble my name in her sleep, a faint whisper that managed to make my heart skip a beat.

So maybe I was falling in love with her.

Just a little bit.