Chapter 9: Operation “Convince Taengoo” is a Go!

International Student

It was the Monday after the party and I was worried about seeing Tae. I didn’t know what I’d say to her and how I was going to explain why I didn’t stay at the party. Should I look for her and make an excuse? Pfft like she even cared that I wasn’t at the party. She was probably too busy locking lips with that player to even notice I had disappeared.

The bell rang and I headed to my class wondering if Fany had the same subject as I.

After walking for an extra thirty minutes, I finally found the physics room, I couldn’t read the signs okay? Without Fany to help me find my way there, it’s obvious I would get lost. The teacher looked at me with eyes of burning fury. “Why are you late young lady?!”

“Uhh I couldn’t find the class?” I looked around the class, everyone’s eyes were all beaming at me and it made me feel like I was strapped to a train track watching a train getting ever closer to my undeniable doom. “Well I hope you can find your seat Harry. Oh and I hope you don’t get lost to this classroom during your break.” She handed me a note which showed me another room number. “Why do I need to go here though Mrs. Hyori?”

“Cause you’ll be writing out lines with me. Now go to your seat!” I couldn’t believe what I just heard? I was new, she couldn’t even cut me some slack? Even worse, Fany wasn’t here in class either, so the only seat left was next to Park Bom. Don’t get the wrong idea, she’s friendly and all as long as you don’t take her food, but she just kind of creeped me out.

I guess the amount of makeup she put on was the key thing that was freaking me out. I felt bad for judging her so much, but she still gave me weird vibes.

 The way this teacher taught was so unbelievably boring which left my mind half asleep for the whole lesson. All the information I was receiving at this time was going in through one ear and straight out the other.

The bell rang signaling I was free from this onslaught of information that was barely even explained. I rushed out of the class so fast that I didn’t see someone else coming down the hall. Yep, you guess it, it was Taeyeon. “Omg Tae, I’m so sorry I didn’t see you there.”

“Calling me short?” She teased as she got up and began to chuckle with that signature laugh. I looked worried for a second not understanding she was kidding. “Harry I was joking,” she stuck her tongue out at me “I’m fine, hey where’d you go on Saturday? I went looking for you after… after leaving for a bit. Did you have to go somewhere?” she asked with genuine curiosity which got me by surprise.  “Umm I… Uhh.” I couldn’t think of an excuse. My normal think fast, say what comes to mind type of talking was failing me at that moment. “Did you not enjoy the party?”

“No that’s not it…” Come on Harry think.

“Well I gotta go, I guess I’ll talk to you later Harry.” She began to walk off and I finally got back my quick thinking mind. “Taengoo wait! Go to this room at first break okay? I want to talk with you.” She simply nodded and walked off as I gave her the note from the Physics teacher so that they’d be in the same room. Fany finally appeared after not seeing her since we got to school, “Where have you been Fany? I got lost without you.” I said starting to pout to make her feel bad about disappearing on me. “I’m really sorry Harry, I needed to do my makeup.” After she said that I noticed she did seem quite dolled up. “Fany what’s the occasion? Why so pretty today?” I asked her, but she simply ignored and smiled.

 “Let’s go to Music now Fany, Oh and I have detention at first break. You need to come with.”

“Aww why?”

“Well for one it’s your fault I got lost and two Tae’s coming too and I want you to talk to her.” Fany could already tell where this situation was going, so she didn’t question it and lead me to the Music room.

I should’ve known Tae was doing music, but the thought seemed to just slip my mind. I could hear her talking to her bestfriend at the back of the room. They were talking about him, Baekhyun. “So is it true Tae? Are you guys back together?” Sunny whispered to Taeyeon. “Yeah we are, he’s changed Sunny. You don’t have to worry about me getting hurt this time.” She said with a reassuring smile. “Tae are you serious? Don’t fall into his stupid trap. He’s playing you just like he did last time. I don’t want to see you broken hearted again.”

“Shut up Sunny. It’s different this time okay? So just drop it.” The teacher finally caught on to who was making all the noise. “Ms. Kim! Is there something you’d like to share with the class?”

“No mam.”

“Well it seems like you have a lot to share instead of paying attention. Why don’t you sing this song for class so you can share what I just said about vocal ranges and controlling breathing hmm?” Tae didn’t back down to the teacher’s proposal and sung to the class. Her voice was unbelievable. She had so much power, yet her voice could also quieten and sooth the soul. It had me staring blankly at her, the passion she used to sing was as if the song was her story and she was shouting to the world how she felt. The class gave her acclamation for her amazing, pristine voice, some people even stood up.

I, Fany and Tae were walking to the detention room, it was dead silent. No one talked, gestured even looked at the other people beside them. The atmosphere was like standing alone after a nuclear fallout. I thought I should try to break the ice with a joke. “Hey guys did you know you can see crescent moons even in the day?” They both looked at me like I was insane and finally asked “How?” both perfectly in sync.

“You look at Fany when she laughs.” It took a while for them to get it but out of nowhere they started giggling like a bunch of kindergarteners. “That was so bad Harry, did you come up with that one yourself?” Tae questioned me. I was too embarrassed to answer, Fany backed me up and said “It wasn’t that bad Harry, I actually thought it was a little cute.” As she started laughing once more.

The detention room was empty and the physics teacher didn’t come, it seemed like she forgot about the whole situation. I turned over to Fany and signaled I was going to confront Tae. She held me back and told me that she should do it instead. “Tae you shouldn’t be going out with Baekhyun.” The statement from Fany caught her off guard making her quite annoyed. “Why is it any of your business who I date?”

“I’m your friend Taeng, I really don’t want the same thing to happen over again. You shouldn’t trust him, he’s a player just like before.” Fany admonished her.

“Why is everyone saying I’m gonna get hurt? He’s different and I trust him. Why can’t any of you just understand that?” she began to leave with anger fueled steps. I ran out to talk to her myself. “Taengoo!” she turned towards me on the verge of bursting into tears. “No one believes I can take care of myself, no one trusts my judgement. You do, don’t you Harry?”

“Well I don’t really know, everyone’s told me that he cheated on you. So I get why they’d still be worried about that happening again. You shouldn’t be angry at us, we just want to look out for you.” She started to wipe her tears away, I quickly held her hand and tried to comfort her. She really was having a hard time deciding whether this was a good decision or not, so I shouldn’t make it worse. Instead I’ll be there for her ready to catch her when the time was right or find hard proof that her boyfriend really hadn’t changed at all.

 “It’s okay Taengoo, if you need someone to talk to about him I’m here. Just be safe and don’t let your emotion cloud your judgement.” I caressed her hair and hugged her, I finally got that beating feeling just like the one when we had first met. Little did I know that someone else was crying while watching me hug Tae. Not in sadness, but in jealousy. Fany hid behind the door covering as tears ran from her brown eyes.