Chapter 3: First Day

International Student

I released her hand, but my heart continued to beat like a drum. Every moment I looked into her cute little eyes the beating would get even faster. “I’ll have an iced tea and cheese cake, whatcha gonna have Harry?” Fany asked me. I was still distracted by the beautiful girl in front of me, I started hearing music in my head playing in the background, setting the mood for my tranced state.

I then started hearing a noise coming from my right ear. “Earth to Harry! Hello! Anyone home?” Fay then started waving her hand at me and that’s when I realised I hadn’t moved for a considerable amount of time. “Umm water, water.” I said in a panic trying not to make it obvious that I was staring at Taeyeon. But Taetae did notice and began to show a slight smile at my panicked voice. “She said she’ll have just a water, thanks Tae.” Fany gave Taeyeon one of those signature smiles and Taeyeon replied “Be back in a few guys.” Taeyeon quickly scampered off into the kitchen to place the order and I was still in a love trance. “Harry what’s wrong? Did you eat something bad on the plane? Cause you look really pale right now.” I turned to Fany and patted her on the shoulder as I reassured her “I’m fine Fany just feeling a little light headed. Hey Fany how am I gonna last at school without any knowledge of Korean? I mean I know you’ll translate but there’s no way you’ll be able to do that 24/7.” I said with genuine worry this time.

She smiled at me and replied “Well you can use this if need be.” She handed me a little silver device. “Just speak into this and it’ll translate to Korean for you, it’ll also do the opposite when someone speaks Korean to you. I was looking forward to just helping you out with the language, but since you asked about it...” She trailed off with a little disappointed look in her eyes.

I felt bad for her, I know she was just trying to be there for me so I looked her into her eyes and said “Sorry Fany, I’ll tell you what I’ll still ask for your help when you’re around and always talk English to you. So don’t be down about okay?” she seemed a little better now which made me feel better also.

We finished our lunch and made our way back to the house and I felt so tuckered out cause of the flight. “Fany can I sleep? I just feel exhausted right now cause I haven’t had any sleep since yesterday.” She took me up stairs showed me the shower and bathroom then left me to myself to have a nice sleep. I washed up first and then notice my clothes were all guys’ stuff, so I had to make sure that I didn’t let anyone see my underwear in order to prevent any suspicion. After my nice warm shower I walked back into the pink room and tucked myself into Fany’s lavender scented bed. I slowly drifted off to sleep in the comfort of a new bed.

 

RING! RING! RING

The alarm was so loud it had felt like my ears were bleeding. I tried to grab my phone and noticed that a pair arms were around my waist. I slowly turned scared to see who was at the end of those arms and surely enough it was Fany! OMG! She’s hugging me this is the best thing ever, Harry don’t get a nosebleed, just stay calm and slowly get your phone from the night stand. As I slowly reached over for my phone she began to tighter her grip around my waist. “WHOA!” I said without realizing how loud I was. “Mornin’ Harry, How was your sleep?” she whispered as she continued to snuggle into me.

“Umm it was great Fany, but could you move I need to get my phone.” I finally got to my phone and saw the time. It was 6:00 am on the first day of school, we’d slept for 12 hours straight! “Holy sh*t, Fany we need to get ready for school!” as I said that she jolted upwards and looked at the time. With the shocked expression she quickly started getting undressed while still on the bed. Yet again I had to turn around and just mind my own business.

When she was busy changing I quickly collected my uniform and underwear and ran to the bathroom. Then I glanced at the clothes in my hand and began to panic.

“WHAT! This is a skirt? I can’t wear this. Maybe Fany has some school pants I can burrow instead?”

I walked out of the bathroom and knocked on the door. Fany was finally fully clothed and I asked for a pair of pants. She threw me a black pair and I quickly ran back to make sure no one saw my clothes at the bathroom. “Oh thank God she had some pants. There’s no way I was gonna wear a skirt. No matter how much I wanted to stay here in Korea.” I said in my mind. Rethinking however, if I had no other options I would probably wear the skirt if it meant me staying in the promise land.

I finally finished getting changed and I got a bag that was pre-packed with all the essential school stuff and headed to Fany’s car. After about twenty minutes we were there and the sight was just grand. The school was so much bigger than the shabby high school back in Australia. The size was not the only factor that had left me in awe, everywhere I turned girls, girls and even more girls everywhere. This was truly heaven.

I the little device that Fany gave me yesterday to check if it worked. “Hi Fany, I’m Harry,” I said. The device spoke in Korean and Fany nodded as a sign of approval. “Yeah it works, make sure to speak clearly though, if you don’t it won’t register what you say and might say something completely different.” I took that warning into consideration and made sure to remember that key detail.

We went inside the hall which was completely full of students. Everyone was looking at boards to see which class they were in. The device was going crazy because of the loud noises that surrounded me, so I decided to turn it off and only turn it on when I needed to speak. I followed Fany over to the board for where the year twelve students were to locate their names and homeroom class numbers. Fany told me we were in the same homeroom which was great, but what she didn’t tell me was who else would be in that class.

We walked into the class room and it’s as if my eyes were just magnetized towards her direction. I couldn’t avoid it even if I tried. I found myself staring at her even as I went to take my seat. Which was a huge mistake on my part, SMACK. I hit a desk on my way and fell face first into the floor. Everyone started blasting in laughter at the sight of the newbie who just faceplanted. Taeyeon got out of her seat and ran towards me. I hastily the device so I would understand what she was about to say. “Are you okay?” She asked holding out her hand for assistance. “Yeah I’m fine, thanks for the hand.”

When our hands met I relived that same feeling back at the café. They’re so soft and warm I could hold onto them all day, but that’s when a squeal from another girl came out and completely ruined the moment. “Yah! Tae you’re only allowed to hold my hand! YAH! You let go!” The girl cut the contact between me and Tae and gave me one of the coldest glares I’ve ever felt. Looking into her eyes was like staring into the cold depths of space.

“Sica its fine I was just helping her up. Don’t overreact.” Tae said with a little teasing look at the other girl. The other girl marched over towards me and whispered, “Oi you? I’m Jessica Jung and just so you know that gorgeous girl standing over there is mine okay? So hands off, You got that?” She gave me one another intimidating stare. I began to wonder whether Tae was actually a lesbian or whether Jessica was having a one sided love. I kept my head held up high and nonchalantly replied, “Sorry Jessica, it won’t happen again I promise.” I grabbed a seat next to Fany and asked her if Jessica and Tae had a thing going on. “Well I dunno, they’re close friends, but Taetae hasn’t gone out with anyone since her last boyfriend.” My face lit up with excitement at the new knowledge I had just obtained.

“So Tae’s straight?” I asked Fany.

“Nah she’s bi, she’s had a boyfriend and a girlfriend. Why so curious Harry?” she asked me. Unfortunately I was way too happy about the fact I had a chance to even give Fany a second look. This was going to be an interesting school year I thought to myself.