Chapter 7: Shopping for Taengoo’s Gift

International Student

My POV

 

“Fany you really don’t have to come with me to buy clothes and Tae’s present. I’ll be fine, just give me a few minutes while you wait in the car okay?” I told her in hopes she would let me shop for my own things. If she saw the clothes I was going to buy and my fashion sense she would definitely see that I’m not a girl, so I was begged her to stay in the car. “Are you embarrassed of me?” she said with a stern voice.

“Of course not Fany, you’re my best friend. I just know I won’t be long so it would be easier for you to just stay in the nice, air-coned car.” She looked at me with even more anger than her previous glare. I ultimately decided to let her come with me, I couldn’t handle seeing her like that especially when her only intention to help me out.

I decided it would be easier to let me shop for Tae’s gift first so I could spend as much as I needed to.

We went through countless jewelry stores and every time I’d say “This looks nice,” Fany would make a not-so-subtle cough under her breath and followed with “Do you know anything about fashion.” The truth was I didn’t, at least not female fashion. I’ve never bought a girl anything, nor got them a birthday gift nor even attended one of their birthday celebrations. So of course my fashion sense or just gift sense in general for a girl would be way off the mark. The only bases of which I was working with were Korean dramas and Anime and they usually were always rich with wads of cash to blow.

I turned to Fany and asked for anywhere in particular she suggested. She then lead me all the way to the other side of the mall where a bright pink jewelry store was, should’ve seen that coming. When we stepped in I was expecting to see everything pink as well, but actually there were a lot of gorgeous necklaces, earrings and rings throughout the whole store. With those pristine rocks though, also came a hefty cost, I looked in my wallet to see how much I could possibly spend, there was around ₩ 900,000 in my wallet and most of the things on stock were over  ₩ 1,000,000. “Fany I can’t pay for anything here, I admit everything looks amazing, but the price is just too much and Tae’s not even my girlfriend. I can’t go spending that much cash on a girl that I’m not even dating.”

“Yeah you’re right you shouldn’t do that.” As we were about to leave the store Fany spotted something at the corner of her eye. I quickly turned around to see what she was gasping at, and she pointed at a pretty silver necklace with a nice sapphire pendant in the shape of a music note. “Taetae loves to sing, she would definitely like this ‘cause blue is her favourite colour and it symbolizes music.” I looked at the price and saw it was around ₩ 350,000 which was around the right amount for me. We asked one of the workers to take it out and they wrapped it up in a pink box with the company name on it “Hwang Co.” I gave Fany a look of suspicion and asked “Is this your family’s company?” She gave me a chuckle with her eye smile and replied.
“Yeah it is, but that’s not why I told you to buy it. It genuinely looks great.” As she said that I looked over at the pendant in the pink box and had to agree with her about that. It truly was a cute gem. Just like Taeyeon was through my eyes.

We left the store and Fany asked me “Let’s buy your clothes now Harry.” Sh*t, this is exactly what I didn’t want to happen. I had to devise a plan to redirect her attention away from the fact I needed clothes. The first thing that came to mind was “I’m hungry let’s go eat at the café where Tae works?” that question did not only take her attention off my clothes it actually seemed to irritate her. I wondered what was wrong with Fany.

She simply nodded yes to my questions and didn’t talk to me the whole car trip to the café. Did I do something wrong? Or say something wrong? I really couldn’t tell. “Fany, what’s up? You haven’t said a word for a while.”
“Nothing.” Giving me the cold shoulder aye? I couldn’t shake the feeling that something major was going on, but I just couldn’t put my finger on it.

 As we sat down at our booth from last time I looked for the shorty of my dreams. Sadly, she was nowhere to be found and just my luck that the one person I really didn’t want to bump into that day was here, Sica was coming to serve us. “Hey Fany.” She said with a very welcoming and genuine smile and as she fixed her eyes at me that warm smile disappeared and the whole joyful atmosphere seemed to freeze over. I swear every breath I took at that moment showed steam coming out of my mouth and nose from the icy air.

“Harry.” That’s it? Not even a “hey”? Wow, some people can just be so rude.

“Hey Sica, I’ll just have a cappuccino to go please and umm is Tae around?” Fany asked her as she looked around also noticing the lack of the short cutie. “She’s off work today, luckily so she wouldn’t get to see Harry coming here just to drool over her.” She said with a very disgusted face pointed towards me. “What was that Sica!?”

“Oh nothing, just it’s obvious you came here just to see her, but alas she’s not here. for you I guess.” She stuck her tongue out at me. I began to stand up ready to fight back when I realised she was just trying to get a reaction out of me.

I sat back down fixed the table and said “I actually enjoy the food here quite a lot for your information Sica and I’ll have the seolleongtang thanks.” I ten shot her a natural smile which annoyed her over the fact I didn’t react to her mindless taunts.

Realising that Fany was still looking bummed out I decided to ask again “What’s up Fany? You know you can tell me anything.” She looked at me and started to mumble slightly. She finally broke her silence and said “I’m angry at you okay? And I can’t tell you why so just leave me alone.” I honestly didn’t know what to do at that point. The whole time while we were having lunch it was dead silent and it slowly became suffocating. “Fany I’m sorry for whatever I did, let me make it up to you?”

“How?”

“You said you wanted to watch a movie this morning right? Let’s go watch one tonight before we sleep. I won’t study or do anything that will distract me from the movie I promise. Is that a deal?” She looked drawn towards the idea of a movie night, but still didn’t seem satisfied and that’s when I had to give the most important factor of the deal to her to finally reel her in. “I’ll even throw in any snacks you want to eat while watching and I’ll pay, is that deal now?” she looked satisfied and gave me a nod of approval.

After our lunch we went to the convenience store and bought a bag of chips, popcorn, packets of ramyun, a few drinks and most importantly a stack of delicious chocolates, her favourite. It was around 7:50pm when we got home after shopping and eating.

We were still in our uniforms which were starting to get really uncomfortable. So we ran up the room and started changing. I found myself just not caring whether she was getting changed or not because I would never look and I’d be behind the dresser so that she wouldn’t look at me neither. Once we finished getting dressed we turned the lights off and jumped onto the bed as the movie was about to begin. There was a weird atmosphere between I and Fany, like we were still uncomfortable around each other. If we can dress in the same room surely we can just lie down without it being weird too right? So I inched closer to her and as I did I could tell she was doing the same and before we knew it we were right next to each other which gave me a cosy kind of feeling.

The marathon of chick flicks was really starting to tire me out and I started to feel my eyelids getting pretty heavy. “Are you getting tired Harry?”

“Nah, I’m good.” I didn’t want her to see me getting tired just in case she was going to get pissed at me yet again. “Thanks for today, even though you did kinda annoy me at one point you did redeem yourself so I forgive you.” And as she said that she began to give me a tight hug. “Aww anytime Fany, what are bestfriends for right?”