Chapter 12: Taengoo’s Knight in Shining Armor

International Student

It was a great spring day, the breeze was perfect and the aroma of flowers filled the air. Today was a great day, but sadly it may be a day that where I’d see Tae cry her eyes out. I was going to tell her what was happening with her so called “changed” boyfriend. The image of Taengoo in tears made my heart sink, but letting him get away with this was not on and I was about to take a stand.

Fany was busy studying for the upcoming mid-term tests so I had this free period to go and find Taengoo. When I thought about it, I hadn’t seen her in homeroom and in Phys Ed class. I began to worry wondering if she was sick at home or what… what if she found out already and was too distraught to attend school today?

After a while walking and searching every nook and cranny of the school I finally found her sitting alone in the music room. I was about to walk in when I heard her start to sing. Her voice always made my heart race, well everything about her made my heart race, but I haven’t felt this feeling for a while. With her soothing voice she gave my heart quite a warm feeling. Tae saw me looking through the door and I instantly froze. Oh sh*t, what if she thinks I’m a creep spying on her I thought to myself. She opened the door and gave me a smile then said “I didn’t see you there Harry, did you like my singing?”

“Yeah your voice is really… amazing Taengoo. I’ve been looking for you everywhere Tae, hey umm listen do you have a minute?”

“Yeah sure just come into the music room.” She walked me in and the room was full of keyboards and guitars and even a few drum kits lying around. “Do you know how to play any instruments Taengoo?”

“Nah I just sing, what about you?” I wanted to tell her I could play an instrument, but the only thing I could play was a keyboard and I still stuffed up a lot when trying to play off music sheets. “Nah I don’t play anything. You should sit Taengoo, this might take a while to explain what’s going on and umm. It might also come as a shock to you.” She sat down now with a very concerned face anxiously anticipating the news that was about to come her way. “Tae, I was at the café where you work and Sica was there. She umm… She gave me this to show you.” I reached for the picture in my pocket, but she stopped my hand. Tears began to stream down Tae’s eyes. “Don’t show me. I know what it is. I know what’s going on Harry. I’ve known for ages.”

“Then… why haven’t you done anything about it? You don’t deserve to go through this Taengoo. You’re an amazing girl, with a lot to offer, but to be with a guy who can’t see that is a waste. You can do so much better Tae.” She moved closer to me, my heart was thumping hard every inch she moved. “Harry you don’t get it, he’s my first boyfriend, I even tried dating girls after him and I couldn’t forget him. He is a bad guy I know that. My mind can never accept it though, I should say my heart can’t. He’s the only person who’s ever made me feel loved, Harry. When you have that feeling you get blinded too easily, do you know that feeling?.” I stared at her, how could she still have these feelings for him even though she knows how bad he is? How could she not feel irritated at him about how badly he’s treated her? These thoughts infuriated me and I couldn’t stand for them anymore.

“Tae.” I held her chin and made her face mysrelf, the eye contact was intense, but I wouldn’t remove her from my sights “I can make you forget about him, I can treat you with the love and attention you deserve. I… I like you Tae.” When she heard that her tears stopped, she stared at me with her cute brown eyes. I couldn’t sense any particular emotion coming from her, what was she thinking about? I thought. She finally broke her silence “I… Feel the same way.” Omg! I couldn’t believe what I just heard. She just confessed to me, my mind was spinning in circles at that moment.

“But…” oh should’ve seen that coming.

 “What am I gonna do about him? I can’t just cheat on him with you. That wouldn’t make me any better than that jerk. I need to break up with him first okay, Harry? I don’t want you to be the bad guy in this situation. I’ll deal with him and then… You can have me.” She wiped her face from tears and started to sniffle. I gave her a warm embrace and she also hugged me back. My heart beating was at its peak, I knew it couldn’t possibly beat any faster or I’d have a heart attack, but I knew I felt this feeling before at one time. No matter how much I thought about it though I couldn’t pin point when I last felt that feeling and for a strange reason, last time wasn’t from Tae.

I continued to let her cry on my shoulder and let it out as we waited for the ending bell to ring. I didn’t want this moment to end, it was the longest time I’d ever spent with my dream girl and best of all it wasn’t a dream.

The bell rang and we went our separate ways, but before she walked off she turned and said “Thank you Harry, thanks for being the one who was there for me and break the horrible news to me. It really means a lot.” She walked up to me and gave me a light peck on the cheek. Her strawberry scented lips were now imprinted on my face, today truly was a great day. I felt like a hero, a knight that slayed a dragon and saved the damsel in distress. This day couldn’t get any better than it did and sadly I was right.

I met Fany at the car, she had been waiting for me for ten minutes and seemed to be quite impatient today. Even with her already ruined mood, when she saw the light pink imprint on my cheek she only grew furious. “Harry! What’s that on your cheek?! Who kissed you!?”

“Whoa Fany, calm down. I’m sorry for being late I was just with Tae and…” She cut me off.

“Oh so being with her was so important that I have to wait as well?” I didn’t understand what got her so irritated. Of course the stressful studying was partly to blame, but something else was definitely up. “Fany, I don’t have any other way to get home if you didn’t wait? I’m really sorry for being late, but why are you acting so… violent towards me? Did… did I do something wrong?”

“Ughh… typical men, oblivious to everything.” I quickly covered , she was acting really weird and made me extremely worried. “Fany! Don’t say that out loud.” I warned her. “Whatever Harry, hurry up and get in I’m tired and I just want to go home.” She didn’t talk to me the whole trip and she drove fifteen kilometers over the speed limit the whole way as well.

I really couldn’t tell what was going on, she ran up the stairs and slammed the bedroom door behind her. I knocked on the door waiting for a response, nothing came up.

Hours past and it was getting to the time to finally rest for the day. She finally opened the door, her eyes were really puffy and red. Had she been crying that whole time? “Take these.” She handed over a pillow and a duvet to me. “I don’t want you near me tonight, so can you please sleep in the living room?” before I could even agree she slammed the door in my face. I didn’t sleep at all that night. All I could think about was, what’s going on with my bestfriend? And why did I feel as if I was the one to be blamed for this?