Chapter 5: Party Invite

International Student

Obviously being new to the school I had no idea where the nurse’s office was. Luckily Tae was reading the signs as we were walking down the halls. Having such close contact with Tae made my face stay red for the whole time. At some moments I’d start feeling weak at the knees and start to wonder whether we’d both need the nurse.

We finally got there, and luckily I didn’t lose my strength. I took her inside and sat her on the bed while looking out for the school nurse, but from the looks of it she was out at the moment. Silence engulfed the medical room, the tension started to rise so I thought I should break it. “Uhh… How’s yo-u-u-r… u-u-u-m ankl-e-e?” Dammit Harry, pull yourself together. Don’t look like a weirdo in front of your dream girl. Be smooth Harry, smooooth.

“Sorry I didn’t catch that, what did you say?” She asked with her cute-confused expression.

“I umm meant to say, how’s your ankle?” Good work Harry you didn’t stutter as much that time.

“Oh, it still hurts quite a lot. Oh well, I should’ve been more careful doing that cart wheel.” I turned around to talk to her about the cartwheel, but I accidently nudged her ankle as I turned causing her to wince in a lot of pain yet again. “Aishhh!” She squealed.

“I’m so sorry Tae, I didn’t mean to hit your ankle. Is it alright if I call you Tae? I mean I was doing it at the gym, but I was in kind of a panic mode so I kinda just blurted it out and we don’t really know each other so I shouldn’t call you by your nickname right?” There you go again, panicking and blurting out every sentence that comes to your mind. Geez man just get a grip already. “Nah it’s alright, you can call me Tae. Most people do it anyway.” Phew, another close one Harry.

“Oh really? Maybe I can call you something different then?” WHAT THE HELL? You just got her approval to call her Tae and you want more. Are you in your right mind? She’s probably going to think I’m hitting on her. I wouldn’t say I’m not, but I don’t want to let her know that. Ughh!. “Umm if you want you can call me Taengoo?” She said with a huge smirk. I couldn’t believe what I just heard. She wanted me to call her something that other people didn’t? Does this make me special? Okay Harry don’t get ahead of yourself. Calm… “Oh sounds good. Doesn’t look like the nurse is coming any time soon. I’ll go get you some ice and some bandages, wait right here Taengoo.”

“Like I have a choice to stay here or not right?” she said as she looked at her ankle and chuckled slightly again with that ahjumma laugh. It was so dam cute.

I went at the back of the room looking for the first aid kit. I brought it over to her and started wrapping her ankle up carefully as to not hurt her again. After the bandage I put some ice on her and told her we should let the swelling die down.

After a few minutes she began to speak again,“Hey Harry can I ask you something?”

“Uhh, yeah sure?”

“Are you doing anything this Saturday?” Whoa! Is she asking me out on a date?

“Umm nothing comes to mind. W-Why?” that time I couldn’t help but stutter, the intensity at that moment was too high for my dazed mind. “Well you see, my birthday was last week on the ninth, but I was away in America for that whole week so I want to have a party this week and I was just wondering if you want to come to my party?” Not a date after all, but hell yeah I’m in. Any time I can spend with Taengoo would be a definite yes in my book. “Yeah sure I’d love to go. Is there a theme?”

“Nah just a casual party, oh and you don’t have to get anything. You can just come over. Here’s my number. Text me yours and I can text you the address.” As she gave me her number she began to stand. Still a little shaky but not too bad. “Thanks for helping me out in the gym and in here. It meant a lot to me.” She gave me a smile and started to walk out the room. “Thanks for the number!” I shouted so that she could hear me once she went out. Sweet I just got invited to Taengoo’s birthday party. But what am I going to wear? Or more importantly. What am I going to get her? And with those questions on my mind I began to devise my plans for her birthday gifts.