Chapter 13: Living the Dream, or so I thought

International Student

to her grave. I tried talking multiple times on the way to school and like the night before she gave me no response, not even an acknowledgement that she even heard a peep from me. “Fany-yah, what did I do wrong? Please just talk to me.” She remained silent.

We finally made it to school and she rushed off the opposite direction from me and continued to march away into the distance. I was really starting to worry about why she was treating me this way, my mind still couldn’t put things together and find a way to fix this mess. I went to homeroom by my lonesomeness and found Fany was missing from there.

I was about to step outside to look for her when I heard the voice I could never ignore. “Harry-yah!” Taengoo called me, she ran to me and gave me a huge hug. “Hey Taengoo, you seem to be in a good mood today. Something interesting happen?” I knew already what had happened, she broke up with the douche and was now giving me the chance that I had always wanted. “You know what happened Harry. Hey umm… after school do you want to… go out?” I could see her blushing bright red at that moment. While she was busy waiting for my reply I was imagining myself fist pumping the air in ultimate victory, something I hadn’t done in quite a while.

“Yeah sure, but umm I’ll have to warn Fany not to wait for me. Just meet me at the gate after school okay?” she gave me a nod and as the bell rang we went to our respected classes.

I met up with Fany in biology, still giving me her silence. “Fany? Where were you at homeroom?” she looked at me, that act of acknowledgement made me feel somewhat better, but it only lasted for so long as she turned away immediately after my acknowledgement. “Fany I need to tell you something.” She continued to stare forward at the bio teacher while writing down her notes.

 “I’m gonna go out with Tae later okay? So don’t wait up for me. I’ll ask her to drop me off later.” She pressed so hard down on her pacer and cracked her lead, she turned with fury built in to the pupils of her eyes. She looked as if she was ready to murder someone with her unbelievably cold stare that would give even HellSica a run for her money. She got up and screamed at me in English, so that no one would understand. “FINE HARRY! Go on your stupid date with your dream girl. I’ve had enough of waiting for you, I’ve had enough of you putting me second to her, even though you trust me more, even though you risked your whole Korean life by telling me that you’re not actually a girl and gave me that secret to keep. I could’ve given you my all and more Harry. You mean so much to me, but you could never see me in that way, she would always be placed first before me, your bestfriend. Well no more Harry. Enjoy your date with Tae, I hope she makes you happy.”

She ran out in tears ignoring the teacher and everyone else who stared at her in confusion to what had just happened. I had mixed emotions, so many things were going through my head at that moment, but the clearest thing was, I was the cause of her recent random behavior.

Every time I would wonder why she was upset, every time I wondered what had gone wrong with her, it was because she hated me talking about Tae and those time when I had felt my heart reach its peak in beats for the very first time was because of her.

I must’ve caused her the greatest deal of pain, always calling her my bestfriend and always unknowingly waking up embracing her, I was causing that innocent girl so much heart break. And from my blindness of what I had believed to be love, came to be a loss of my one and only true friend.

What had I done? More importantly, how would I ever make it up to Fany? I had caused her so much pain that would probably never be forgiven even if I were to swear my life to her and be her slave for eternity. I chased her out, ignoring the teacher and the class as well. Nothing else mattered, but finding Fany. I ran the whole length, width, height, you name it and still found no sign of where the girl obsessed with pink had ran off to.

My heart began to sink at that thought that she may be so hurt that she’s putting her life in danger, or maybe she was too hurt to notice her surroundings and had an accident. All these incidents and ideas were rolling through my head like a screenplay, hundreds if not thousands of scenarios rushed through my mind and I simply prayed to make sure none of those thoughts would truly happen to her. If anything were to happen to her I… I wouldn’t be able to live with myself at that point. A soft pair of hands wrapped around my own and I turned to see an eagerly waiting Taeyeon. She seemed really excited to go on this date. Oh just brilliant, not only did I hurt Fany, if I were to go look for her I would end up hurting this innocent young lady. I didn’t know what to do, either way I would end up feeling like sh*t about myself and for them. Was I no better than the douchebag Tae had dumped? No I decided I made my mistakes already and chose to be honest with her. “Tae… I’m sorry I can’t go out with you.” She stared at me in shock, but no tears were appearing which helped me feel somewhat safer about the situation.

“Can… Can I just ask why?” she seemed to just be curious of that detail alone. “I don’t regret making you dump Baekhyun, he was a horrible guy and didn’t deserve you, but… When I said I could be the one to make you happy. I… I lied. Don’t get me wrong, I meant that you deserve better, that you deserve someone who can bring you happiness, true and pure happiness. I can’t be that guy though, the feeling that I believed to be love for you was merely lust. The one I truly loved was in front of me the whole time, she was always there for me thick and thin, she was there at my worst and my best. No, she made me my best, she made my heart pound like no one else could. But I was too blinded by my desire for you that I didn’t see the perfect woman standing by myside. I want you to be happy, but I can’t bring that to you. It’s meant for… Fany.” I began to run off in search for Fany, but Tae had held me back.

“Harry, I’m not mad at you. I actually… want to say thank you, you were honest with me. You showed me I could do better. Yeah it hurt to know that I’m not the one for you, but I can tell that you really do love Fany. Go after her, make her happy Harry.” She released me and I nodded in agreement and sprinted off ready to wonder the streets looking for my one.

 

 

Tiffany’s POV

 

I had checked into the Lotte hotel in the city, a place that I could be in peace for the current moment. There was no way that anyone would find me here. I jumped onto the bed and let out a horrendous sigh of both anger and tiredness. I stared at the ceiling and tears began to form in my already puffed eyes. All I could think of was him. He drove me crazy, he made me feel things that no other person had ever made me feel. The emotions that came from him were too confusing. I couldn’t stand the way he treated me. The way he acknowledged Tae before me. I made so much effort to let him notice me, to just see me as more than just his close friend. He obviously didn’t care for me, I mean he did, just not the way I wanted him to.

I thought the time we spent together would sway him to me, the moments we shared would be enough to let him see that I can be the one for him. Sadly all that effort only resulted in a loud burst of my own top lashing out at Harry, in front of the class no less.

I believe I still have feelings for him, but maybe I should finally give up? I felt the cold metal brush against my skin near my chest. I pulled out the music note necklace he had given me instead of Tae on her birthday. If only he had placed her first just like that time, the maybe things could have been different between them. She held the pendant in her hand and began to remember that moment under the cherry blossom tree.

 

Flashback

 

“Umm why are you giving me this?” I looked at the necklace around me.

“I owe you big time Fany, I might as well start making it up to you now.”

 

That seemed to be a distant memory, when things were a lot less complicated and when Harry didn’t have any chance of sweeping Tae off her feet. Was this why I was so upset?

Because Harry had a chance now and he’s taking it? I thought about this for a few moments. The anger inside me slowly became guilt.

Why was I being so upset about him getting his dream girl? What kind of friend am I?? The fact of the matter was, I was the only one to blame for my position. I waited too long for him, I thought that kiss on the night he told me he was a guy would have been enough indication for him.

I lay in bed for ours and all I did was contemplate on what to do with my feelings for Harry. There were so many reasons that told me to give up and to stay by his. After many hours, I had finally made my decision.

 

My POV

 

I search the streets of the city, our favourite meeting places, restaurants, cafes. I had been to them all with no sign or even a call from Fany. The worriedness had made me feel sick in the stomach and I began to throw up in the street. The fear of losing her forever covered my mind that I didn’t even notice I was being followed by Sica. “Harry are you alright?” I continued throwing up on the street, obviously Sica I’m not I thought. “What are you doing here Sica?”

“I’m here to help you find her. Before you came along me and Fany were real close, I know her better than anyone, maybe even her own family. So let me help you.” I didn’t know whether to trust this girl that stood before me. All she seemed to do was give me grief and icy cold glares like an ice princess. For some reason though this look appeared to come from the heart and I decided to let her come along my grand search for my true love.