Chapter 10: The Truth about Harry

International Student

A few months passed and nothing seemed to happen. Baekhyun was genuinely being a good boyfriend, Tae was full of joy and she talked to me more often about her situations. Everything seemed to be good and I and Fany had been going on cool trips to amusement parks, malls, parks and all other outing destinations you could think of. These bonding moments were amazing and I could remember each one because of the sheer amount of fun we had during those moments.

Fany was becoming so close to me that… that I felt like I could tell her anything. Even the truth, the truth that I’ve somehow been able to hide from everyone for months now and the truth that would mean I stay here or leave Korea. If anyone deserved to know this it was Fany, but I didn’t know how to bring it out. It’s not exactly a casual conversation to have, Oh Fany did you know I’m a guy? Pretty funny huh? Yeah that would be a great conversation.

 The fact that she didn’t know already was beyond me. There were numerous times when I wasn’t being careful enough and should’ve been caught. One time she walked on me getting changed in the bathroom and didn’t question my choice of underwear. Another time my moustache and beard were growing out during the mid-semester holiday and she simply said that I should start shaving instead of questioning the fact I have facial hair at all.

I know that I’m going to tell her the truth and I should prepare her by giving her a perfect day so that it would cushion the blow. We had done so many activities that there wasn’t many choices left, but something that we hadn’t done was play a game of snooker. That definitely would be a good opportunity, it would be one on one and we’d also be having a lot of fun. We’ll go play snooker after eating lunch out as well.

It was yet again another Saturday and Fany was still fast asleep. “Fany, wake uuuuup.” Her eyes were squinted which meant that they were in their adorable crescent moon form. “What do you want Harry? I was having a good dream.”

“Nothing beats reality Fany. Anyway let’s go get lunch, it’s already 2pm and you haven’t got up.” I grabbed her arm and made her get changed, that was odd since usually I’d be the one to be told by Fany to get a move on since she usually organized our weekends. She got dressed in a flowery pink dress. She actually looked great and she just had this glow about her. She’s been having this glow for quite a while but I couldn’t figure out what was giving her that glow. “You ready?” she asked me.
“Yeah let’s hit the road Fany!”

She started driving and I could tell she was still a little tired so I decided to keep her interested so she wouldn’t fall asleep at the wheel. “So Fany where’d you want to eat?”

“Oh don’t you have a place planned already?”

“Nah I was kinda going on a whim, but there is something I’ve planned today.” I gave her a little smirk and she seemed to get suspicious about what I was referring to. “What are you planning?”

“Can’t say now Fany, just wait for the moment.” She didn’t argue, instead she was thinking about where to go for lunch, or in her case brunch. She finally drove over to a Japanese restaurant and this particular restaurant allows all you can eat sushi every Saturdays. Luckily I love sushi so I was keen to finally get down and eat some good endless sushi.

Though Fany and I have been having great times, every so often she would seem quite down and quiet out of nowhere and would never tell me what was going on. Maybe since I’m planning to speak the truth karma will help me get some information out of her too. “Fany, you’ve been having these weird quiet moments for the past few months. Can you tell me what’s been bothering you?”

“Nothing… It’s nothing don’t worry about it?”
“Come on Fany I’m here for you, you can tell me what’s been on your mind. We’ve become really close over these months.”
‘It’s just crush problems. So don’t worry okay?” Wow, Fany had a crush and she still hadn’t told me about it? She knew about my crush even though I can’t remember telling her, but she still knows so she should be fair. “Fany-ah, please tell me? I really want to know who you’ve been crushing on.”

“Why? It’s not like you can help.” She seemed to be irritated about it at that point. I decided to leave it, I wonder who’s been hurting my bestie’s heart? How can she look so down cause of this person? Were they really that great? After the food she still wasn’t saying much obviously cause of my attempt at confrontation. I needed to get her back into the smiley, happy go lucky mood. “Hey Fany, I got another plan. Follow my direction when you drive.”

We drove to the snooker place and she gave me a curious yet interested look. “Um was this your plan? Play a game of snooker?”

“Yeah, we haven’t done this yet and it’s a good one on one type game to play.” I gave her one of my huge smiles and she returned the favour with her very own smile.

I didn’t expect much from Fany, but she knew her way around the table. She could angle well, hit the ball with precision, I was pretty impressed and also felt myself staring at her in awe. She was pro, and I definitely didn’t mind losing to her.

“That were great games Harry! But looks like I won every game. Maybe you should grant me a wish for my reward?” She said it with such a cute expression so I couldn’t say no. “What do you want then Fany? Tell me your wish?”

“Hmm I’m not sure, maybe I already have everything I need? But that one person, who you’ll never know.” She stuck her tongue out at me making me wonder even more about this mystery crush.

 When we got home I felt myself getting nervous, I started sweating uncontrollably and felt my heart pumping blood like there was no tomorrow. We went into Fany’s pink room and closed the door getting ready to watch the movie. I decided this is my moment right-, or at least as good a moment as any. “Fany I need to tell you something, you should sit down for this.” With a face of worry she slowly began to sit on the bright pink bed anticipating what I was about to say. I paused for a moment, the nerves were getting to me now. “Harry! The suspense is killing me. Say it!”
“I’m a guy!...” it went silent. Fany’s face was emotionless, she didn’t seem surprised, annoyed, infuriated, happy, sad or in fact there was no emotion what-so-ever. This face worried me a lot more than any of those one emotions could ever do to me. At least if she was annoyed she would go on a rant and scream at me, or if she was happy she would give me a hug and tell me its fine. That wasn’t the case. She stayed perfectly still, with no emotions at all.

After a few minutes of dead stares she began to stand up she slowly crept towards me not saying a single word. Is she going to scream at me? Is she going to hit me? The suspense was now killing me. “Fany can you please ju…” I was cut off, by two soft, pink lips.

 

Tiffany’s POV

 

As I gave him a kiss I had already known about Harry’s true gender, ever since the day I came home early only to find his suitcase filled with guys underwear and not only that, but his general taste in clothes were not feminine in the slightest. Even if she were to believe that Harry was a lesbian, the fact he told me and was finally honest with me, makes me want him even more than before.