Chapter 1: Mistakes were made

International Student

My POV

 

It’s currently 2015 and I’m still stuck in this shabby Australian High School, wondering what life would be like in the land where all my bias live and breathe, South Korea. At least it’s a Saturday so I don’t have to deal with boring work from school, as I glanced outside, the post man had delivered few things into the post box. I didn’t expect anything specific from the delivery, but I decided to have a gander over at what the post man had left at my house.

When I got to the post box there wasn’t just a letter there was also a package, not addressed to my parents nor to my brother, but surprisingly to myself. I opened the letter hastily and wondered as to what it could possibly be inside these packages. The letter read:

Ms. Harry Sebastian,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to the High School Exchange Program in Changwon City, South Korea. A plane ticket and other essential needs have been delivered in the package to help you arrive here. The flight will be leaving at 8:40 am on Monday the sixteenth of March. We hope you arrive safely and enjoy your flight.

Sincerely,

Headmaster, Anne Le.

 

I couldn’t believe my eyes! In my hand was a ticket to my dreamland, South Korea. “Finally I’m going to finally get to see what it’s like to be with those stunning Korean girls. Why am I addressed as a Ms. though? Hmm that’s strange, but who cares, this is a dream come true. I’ll just go with the flow of my luck.”

I quickly ran into the house packed all my valuables clothes, books and writing utensils and most importantly, my laptop. However, after I had finally packed all my desired belongings the sudden realization that I wasn’t leaving until Monday finally struck me, the excitement had already taken over so I left all my personals in the luggage and awaited that faithful day to arrive, when I would finally live the life of an International student.

 

Monday, sixteenth of March

I didn’t want to risk taking the bus, in case I was held up by other passengers, so I decided to call “yellow cab co.” to pay for a taxi to the airport. When I got to the airport there was a women holding up a banner with my name on it. It also had Korean above my name and that’s when it hit me. “I don’t know a word of Korean, how the am I gonna survive?” I thought with a puzzled face.

“I’ll sort that out when the problem comes.” I assured myself with a huge smile and continued forward to the woman with the banner. “Hi, you’re Ms. Sebastian I presume?” the lady said.

“Umm do you mean Mr?” I looked at her with a confused expression. She chuckled at the question then replied with an irritated tone “Mam we don’t have time for games the All-Girls High School is expecting your arrival today so can we please not diddle-daddle?”

Holy e, what am I going to do? They’re expecting a girl to come and I’m obviously not a girl, but she still didn’t realise I’m a guy after seeing me. Can I get away with this? I asked myself as my frown of despair turned into a sly sly grin.

“Ahh, yes you’re right mam Sorry for that little joke I made, just wanted to break the tension.” The grin on my sly face grew ever bigger at each passing step.

We then started to walk through the airport getting bags checked, belongings checked, you know the usual airport routine. Then we finally got on the plane and was on my way to the promise land. On that day I made either the worst mistake of my life, or the greatest decision of all time. Only time would tell.