Chapter 17: Fany’s Departure

International Student

My POV

 

As I opened my eyes I was still in the shack where Fany was being held and for some reason the thug with the gun was on the floor completely passed out. Did I do that? Do I have some magic powers or something? I pointed my finger in the direction of the head boss and a bright green light blasted out of the tip of my finger and completely disintegrated. I walked over to Fany lifted her in my arms and went to kiss her luscious lips, but that’s when I really came to my sense.

I woke up in a cold sweat on the hospital bed. My quick movement gave me a slow reaction to my wrapped, shot left leg and chest. The pain quickly became priority to my mind and the feeling was almost as bad as when I first got hit by the speeding bullet. After the excruciating pain that I had to relive I acknowledge the people in the room. Sica was sitting on a chair right by me with her hand on my leg. I quickly pushed her off my leg before any misunderstanding from Fany would occur.

That’s when I realised, she wasn’t in the room. I couldn’t see her pink blood stained clothes, her wine red hair, not even her perfect eye smile. No sign of Fany was there. I woke up Sica to see if Fany was just in a recovery room just like me.

“Yah! Sica, where’s Fany?” I noticed my translator was not on me at the moment, but luckily Sica knew English. “Huh? Umm I dunno I only saw her last night and I fell asleep here. She was fine when I last saw her just a little weak from the bruises.”

“I have to see here, take me to her Sica!” I tried to stand, but the bullet wound again brought back the pain it held. “Sh*t! My leg hurts.”

“Harry, don’t move too much. It’ll take longer for you to heal, just sit tight I’m sure Fany is perfectly fine.” The nurse walked in to check up on me and also brought me a few breakfast foods. “Eat up Harry, you’ll need your strength.” I couldn’t understand a word she just said so I looked over to Sica and whispered “Sica. Get my translator please.” She handed it over to me from the bed side table and I switched it back on. “Umm sorry about that, what did you say Ms?”

“I just said you should eat up Mr. Sebastian, your body is quite weak at the moment and the food will give you strength.”

After she said that she began monitoring me and asking if specific areas of my body hurt. There weren’t any places in particular other than the bullet wounds I had. While that was happening Sica’s eyes widened so far that they seemed to be two huge tennis balls. I turned to her and asked “What’s up with you?”

“She called you Mr?”

“Oh sh…” I trailed off before finishing my curse so that the nurse wouldn’t hear. “Excuse me Ms. Can I see his profile on your clipboard please?” I couldn’t stop the nurse from handing it over to her. Well that’s the second person who knows my secret, I simply accepted it. “YOU’RE A GUY?! How the f… I mean how the hell didn’t I notice this? And not just me. Everyone else??” I simply gave her an awkward smile admitting that it was quite weird how none of them knew. “Sica just don’t tell anyone okay? I can’t be moved from school. Or they’ll probably send me back to Australia.” I could tell she was scheming that maybe that wasn’t such a bad idea, then her cunning smile died down and she gave me a straight face.

“Fine you stay safe here… For now.” That last part scared me, but if the time came I know I’d get Sica to shut up one way or another.  “You seem fine apart from your leg. You’ll have to stay here for a few days and rest. Try not to move too much okay?” as she began to leave the room I remembered to ask about Fany. “Ms is there a Tiffany Hwang in recovery?” she looked at me in a puzzled look and began to answer. “Umm not to my knowledge.” Her puzzled expression stayed on my face. Tiffany couldn’t possibly be a common name here in Korea and then it came to me that her birth name was Stephanie. “Oh sorry Ms I mean Stephanie Hwang?” her expression of confusion finally disappeared and it was almost like a big, bright lightbulb just above her head.

“Ahh Stephanie was here last night. She said she was fine so we dismissed her last night.” She was dismissed last night? She didn’t even wait for me to wake up? What’s up with that? I started to feel pissed at Fany’s selfish actions until I realised she had no obligation to stay with me. Her being here would’ve completely change my mood when I woke up and I wouldn’t have felt bored about needing to stay here and heal up though.

“Ahh okay thank you Ms.” She continued to walk out and as she took her leave I put my sight onto Sica and gave her a puppy dog look. “Eww what do you want?”

“Can you call Fany and ask her if she’s okay?”

“Yeah I will just stop doing that face. Seriously its creeping me out.” She brought her phone out and selected Fany’s number. The phone began to ring, everything ring that I heard made my heart race faster than the last. It felt like it had been a lifetime since I heard her husky voice. The phone continued to ring and there was still no answer. “She’s not answering, I’ll try again.” She began to ring the number again and with two rings someone had picked up, but it was not the voice I had initially expected. “Hello?” said a very deep, rough voice.

“Hello, Mr. Hwang? Is that you?”

“Yeah who is calling?”

“It’s Jessica, why do you have Fany’s phone? Where is she right now?”

“Fany’s on her way to the airport. She told me that she’s going to be in America for the next few years to finish her study and she’ll comeback, but never specified when. Didn’t she tell you this Sica?”

Sica’s expression was shocked, no more like flabbergasted. This expression made my already worried mind continue to reach new heights of stress. What was going on? She hung up the phone with still in awe.

“Sica! What’s wrong!? Explain right now!?” she looked at me and I could tell that this was serious. After we had just got her back from a band of thugs something else happens to her? My love life was seriously messed up. Sica finally spoke up with words that even I never thought I’d hear, but when I thought about it, it made sense.

“Mr. Hwang said she’s… Moving back to America. She’s on the way to the airport now.” And with that sentence flowing around my mind I jumped off the hospital bed completely ignoring the pain from my leg, I was hit with adrenalin yet again. I forced Sica off her feet and grabbed a pair of crutches. “Sica there’s no time to be mopping around. We don’t have much time.” We started running down the corridor or in my case whatever the swift movement of crutches was called. Within a few minutes we were at the parking lot, the pain still being masked by my desire to see the one I loved.

No matter how much this bullet wound hurt, no matter how much each step felt like I was being stabbed in the leg continuously, those feelings of pain would not even come close to the thought of not seeing Fany for years. That was not something I was going to accept without a fight. “Sica hurry up would you? Turn this car on and take us to the airport.” She seemed to understand that I wasn’t in any mood for her typical witty comments and continued to drive at high speeds. Please wait for me Fany. I’m coming for you.