The Request

Scent of a Flower

Jong Kook and Jae Suk sighed when the doctor told them that she’s now stable. They were relieved because they thought she would die any moment. However, the doctor told them the news that her situation has gotten worse now and that there might be just few months for her to survive. The one that can only let Ji Hyo alive is the machine. That’s what the other members of Running Man heard when they reached the hospital. Truthfully, the members are now renting a place near the hospital, so they can exchange schedules looking after Ji Hyo. That's why the news that they received made them all gloomy.

Ji Hyo’s parents arrived minutes after, and they were so depressed of the news. Both parents didn’t show them that they felt like crying, so the members of the show tried their best not to show them that they are also sad about the situation. The members gave the parents time to attend Ji Hyo’s needs, so while waiting they have decided to talk about a lot of things concerning the sick woman. “What should we do now?” asked Kwang Soo. No one answered him, so he looked at the ceiling trying to find for some answers to his question.

Jong Kook looked at the men and said, “There’s still a chance of survival, guys.” The men looked at him feeling sorry since the doctor has already told them that it’s impossible. Ji Hyo is due to leave soon, and they can no longer do anything about it. “Jong Kook, there’s no sense denying the fact that she’s,” stopped Suk Jin when Jong Kook cut him out by saying, “She will not die.” The oldest man knows why Jong Kook is being so sensitive, so he let him be. Jae Suk looked at Suk Jin, who gave him a nod because he showed patience and understanding.

“Are you sure, hyung?” asked Ha Ha when Jong Kook asked them to just go back to their places for the meantime. “Thank you, Suk Jin hyung, Jae suk hyung, Dong Hoon-ah. You three also have a family, so I guess it won’t be fair for them to be away just because my woman is sick. I appreciate everything. Thank you.” he said to the three married men. He then looked at Gary and Kwang Soo as he said, “Same goes to the both of you. I’ll just be with her for the meantime. Just do whatever you guys have to do. I’ll take care of her, don’t worry.”

Jong Kook shed tears when Ji Hyo’s parents thanked him for being with Ji Hyo the whole time. Her mother told him that he must have been the guy she fell in love with when they were still residing in Pohang. “I’m sure, in the future, when all of us see one another again, I will be happy to call you my son-in-law.” Ji Hyo’s mother added. “Yeobo…” called Ji Hyo’s father to her mother. “Don’t worry! It won’t be long since I will be joining your family. It will be my honor to be your son-in-law.” he said as he kneeled down to give them a deep bow.

He’s still in tears when he went to see Ji Hyo. He can tell that she lost weight, but he admits that she’s still very beautiful in his eyes. He didn’t want to cry in front of her parents earlier, but he didn’t know why he comfortably let his tears fall from his eyes.  He looked at Ji Hyo and asked, “Didn’t you say you won’t sleep forever? But what is this? What is this Ji Hyo-ah? I may be strong, but you know that I’m not that strong without you. We’ve been with each other for such long years where friendship is the foundation, and now, now you will just leave? Just what the heck is this?” he asked while crying out loud.

“Oppa, it must be so hard on you, right?” she then asked him which surprised him. “Back then, I didn’t take my situation seriously. I thought that I’d be fine by just having the clinical treatment. I thought I just have to be okay. But when I started to get to know you more and more, I’ve been regretting why I was so stubborn. If I have known, I know I’ll treat myself better. So whatever happens to me, do not be sad. I had a chance, but I didn’t grab it. It’s my choice.” she added. Jong Kook looked at her as he asked, “Your choice is just to leave? Do you think it that easy? Maybe to you, it's easy. But what about the people around you?”

Ji Hyo smiled at him and asked, “Are you getting angry at me now, oppa?” Jong Kook stared at her and said, “I’m serious.” She smiled again and said, “Ya! Why are you angry at the woman who’s about to die soon?” Jong Kook can’t help it anymore, so out of frustration, he yelled at her as he replied, “Because you have no idea how much you mean to me. You mean the world to me. You’re my life. If you die, I know I will die.” Both of them were shocked to hear what he has said, so she asked, “Are you stupid? Why would you die just because of me?”

“Don’t you know that this is also hard for me?” she then asked. “So, please, don’t make it harder for me. You can’t die after I die. You should not die if I die. You have to live for me. You just have to remember our love. You can do it. You are smart, and I know you are capable.” Ji Hyo added. She smiled again when she recalled, “The first time I looked into your eyes, the feeling I felt when we held hands for the first time, and the sound of your breath, I will remember them all. Even when I’m gone, every single thing about you, I know I will remember it all.”

“No!” he shouted when he heard her request, however, he scrunched his forehead when he realized, Ji Hyo talking to him, was just a dream. He intently looked at Ji Hyo, who has her life depending on the machine. And his tears, which seem to have no end, started falling down again when he saw tears slowly falling down from Song Ji Hyo’s face as he recalled what she said in his dream, “Oppa, I know this is hard for you now, and it is also hard for me. So can you please let me go? Please let me…,” she stopped as she continued to say, “die.”