The Song

Scent of a Flower

Months have passed, yet Ji Hyo hasn’t regained strength. People have started to speculate about what’s wrong with her since the real reason why she’s in the hospital hasn’t been revealed by the Running Man members and Ji Hyo’s family. The staff and crew of Running Man were also left in the dark, but they didn’t try to push to know what’s going on since they still feel guilty of what happened months ago. It’s been another week for them to go filming, but the atmosphere now has been dimmer.

The super lively Yoo Jae Suk seemed to be unusual today. He doesn’t smile much, and he doesn’t act like everything is okay already. On the other hand, there’s Ji Suk Jin, who seemed to be lost. Ha Ha and Gary were staring at each other blankly, and Kwang Soo was just looking up. The entire people behind the show have noticed it, so they asked Jong Kook whether they will continue to film or not. Jong Kook glared at the PD and asked, “I know we are all professionals here, but can’t we be unprofessional even just for a day?”

“Don’t be so sensitive, Jong Kook-ssi.” told one of the PDs, so Jong Kook replied, “Then don’t be so insensitive.” Jong Kook gave them a forced bow before he left the place. The PD, who was surprised with the turnout of events, told the remaining members, “Aren’t we a part of the family, too? We just know she’s sick, but how sick is she? How would we know? Do you guys think that it is not difficult for us, too?” Before one of the casts could answer, the said PD has turned his back against them.

“Hyung – “ called Kwang soo as he offered some bottled mineral water to Jong Kook. “Thank you.” said Jong Kook, who was still in deep thought. “What are you thinking?” asked Kwang soo. “I’m thinking why of all people it must be her who should suffer cancer.” Jong Kook answered his question honestly. “The doctor said that there’s only this five-year survival rate, and now look, she’s on the fifth year, and she --- she --- she might --- “ Jong Kook didn’t continue his words, so he cheered him up by saying, “We won’t let that happen, hyung. We won’t.”

The rest of the men joined them as they feel mixed emotions. They are all sitting on a long bench with their backs leaning against the wall. “I should have been kind to her.” Ha Ha murmured. “How could she smile and have fun with us without telling us she’s sick?” he added. “She should be the leader of the Betrayal Club.” Ha Ha then continued. Jong Kook was just silent. “We shouldn’t let her see that we’re like this.” said Gary. “Knowing her, she must be fully embarrassed of her situation now.” he added. It’s funny how all their eyes closed at the same time.  

They were all reminded of the fact that they have received from Ji Hyo’s private doctor. Back then, Dr. Jin Hyuk told them her real situation, “Song Ji Hyo has passed the clinical stage, and now she’s under pathologic stage since she had a surgery already. We have checked the tissues that were removed during the surgery, and I’m sorry to say that she has unresectable cancer – it’s T4b.” “What is that?” confused Suk Jin asked. “The tumor has grown through the stomach wall and into nearby organs or structures.” the doctor then explained.

Little do they know that the PD was looking at them now that he knows what the situation is. Ji Hyo’s younger brother was able to witness the argument among them earlier, so he told them the reason why. The younger brother of Ji Hyo asked the staff and crew not to tell it to everyone since for his sister; they are also a member of her family. “Don’t they think we won’t understand?” asked PD Myung Taek to Dong Wan, the show’s former FD who is now one their PDs. “I’m pretty sure they are just trying to cope up. Let’s just understand.” answered Dong Wan.

The men have separated ways, so Jong Kook decided to visit his woman. When he arrived at the hospital, Ji Hyo was still sleeping not knowing that she has visitors. He smiled at her visitor since he’s familiar with her. “Long time, no see.” he greeted. Park Si Yeon smiled at him and replied, “It has really been a long time. I came here when I heard the news.” Si Yeon and Ji Hyo are actually close. They usually go to the same salon back when both of them were very active. “I was with her when she went to China.” she told Jong Kook while looking for her phone.

“It must be so hard on you.” continued Si Yeon. “When she was there, did she tell you something?” he asked. Si Yeon shook her head, but she said, “She didn’t tell me anything. But I was able to guess what her feelings are.” Jong Kook looked at her and asked, “What do you mean?” Si Yeon showed her phone and said, “I heard that you two are dating. She wanted to keep it a secret, but I think the world knows that you two are.”  He seemed so surprised about what his former co-cast said, so she said, “Don’t you know that you two are very obvious? Even if you guys don’t say it in words, people can see it through your actions.”

It’s been an hour since Si Yeon bid him goodbye. He’s now left with Ji Hyo in the room. He remembered the file that Si Yeon sent him, so he opened it again, and found a video of Ji Hyo, holding a microphone. There she told Si Yeon, “You know Jong Kook-oppa very well, right? If we get to see each other again, I swear I will invite you in our wedding.” When Si Yeon asked what she’ll sing for him, she answered. “No More Lonely Nights.” He remembered his words to Ji Hyo when he said, “I won’t let us drift like shadows in a lonely night anymore.”

His tears fell when Ji Hyo started singing, “I can wait another day until I call you.You’ve only got my heart on a string and everything a flutter. But another lonely night might take forever. We’ve only got each other to blame. It’s all the same to me love. Cause I know what I feel to be right. No more lonely nights. No more lonely nights. You’re my guiding light, day or night I'm always there. And I won’t go away until you’ll me so. No, I’ll never go away.” Jong Kook didn’t realize that he fell asleep while listening, so he doesn’t know that Ji Hyo has now opened her eyes while watching him - sleeping.”