The Machine

Scent of a Flower

Ji Hyo looked at Jong Kook, who has fallen asleep while watching and listening to her on the video. She knows that Si Yeon has visited her since the video was taken by the beautiful woman. They are good friends, and they were even described as two underrated Korean actresses. She stared at Jong Kook intently which made her smile. She has been in the hospital for a long time, and this is the first time that she’s seeing his face with her eyes open. Jong Kook must have been pretty tired not to be able to feel that she has woken up already.

She was surprised when she heard someone coughed. “Ya, Song Ji Hyo, is there only Kim Jong Kook in your eyes?” asked Jae Suk, who was complaining to her in a cute manner. She smiled at the national emcee as she tried to send him a signal to lower down the volume of his voice so Jong Kook won’t wake up. “He might want me to wake him up to see you awake.” whispered Jae Suk. “It’s okay, oppa.” she answered softly. Jae Suk knows that she’s just trying her best to speak, so didn’t ask further questions. He looked away for her not to see his reaction.

“Sorry for missing the show.” Ji Hyo said. Jae Suk returned his look to her when he said, “Don’t worry about it. You know that it’s okay.” She smiled when she mentioned, “Then it won’t be a problem when I’m gone, right?” Jae Suk almost broke into tears when he heard her said those words. “Ji Hyo-yah, don’t say things like that.” uttered Jae Suk. “Don’t ever think of being away from us.” he then added. Ji Hyo smiled widely as she told him, “I was just joking, oppa. Of course, I’ll be back. If I’m gone, who will be there to keep you all guarded and comfortable?”

Ji Hyo knows that Jae Suk doesn’t want her to see him being emotional, so when he acted like he has to go to the restroom, she just said okay. But she knows things won’t be back to normal anymore. When she moved a little, Jong Kook felt it. She then hurried to close her eyes as Jong Kook opened his. He didn’t know that she was awake, so he held her hand tightly. She doesn’t want to open her eyes because she won’t be able to take seeing him in pain because of her. When Jong Kook stood up, she was surprised when she felt his kiss on her forehead.

Jong Kook, who kissed her on the forehead, continued to kiss her. He then kissed her on the tip of her nose, and now, he kissed her on the lips. His kiss was so tender that her tears made them betray her. He saw tears streamed down her face, so he removed his lips away from hers. What she didn’t know is that their faces are just an inch away. So when she opened her eyes, they met his eyes. They are now looking at each other in a very close range. It’s the scene which Jae Suk saw, and it’s because of that that he decided not to interfere. He just sat outside of the room.

She bit her lower lip when she realized that she got caught, but that didn’t seem to be the case for Jong Kook. He smiled perfectly well when he saw her awake. “Ji Hyo-ya…” he called. She smiled at him and answered his call by saying, “We meet again.” Jong Kook nodded his head excitedly and told her, “I miss you.” She doesn’t know why she wants to cry, but she’s doing her best not to. She has to be strong because she knows her man is a strong one. “I’ve been missing you.” she confessed. “You might have been very surprised, I’m sorry.” she added.

Jong Kook sat properly, and now they are talking with each other. “Why didn’t you tell me?” he asked. “Just because.” she said. “But I’m your boyfriend.” he whined. “What?” she asked trying to make him repeat what he said. “I said I’m your boyfriend.” he repeated. “So this is how it feels. To hear a word that is like music to my ears.” she murmured. “Am I going to die soon?” she asked. Jong Kook looked at her in a stricken manner, so she said, “I guess I am.” Jong Kook then shook his head multiple times to tell her it’s not like that, but she’s not stupid to fall for it.

The couple talked for a couple of hours when Ji Hyo requested something from Jong Kook. “You want me to sing?” asked Jong Kook to which Ji Hyo answered with a nod. Jong Kook can’t tell her that he’s feeling nervous because he has seen too many dramas where the lead will ask someone to sing, and while singing, the main character will sleep, and won’t be able to wake up. Ji Hyo must have read what’s on his mind because she told him, “I won’t sleep forever, don’t worry.” Jong Kook showed her his pinky finger as he asked, “Do you promise that?”

When Ji Hyo nodded, he asked what song she would like him to sing for her. So she happily answered, “I Choose to Love You”. Jong Kook knew the song, so he patted her head and said, “I hope you’ll have a good sleep when I sing you this song. But you have to promise me you’ll wake up, so you can hear me sing it every day, okay?” Ji Hyo smiled at him and said in a kidding way, “Oppa, do you want me to die early? I said I will wake up. I definitely don’t want to leave the world without you telling you telling to the world that we’re together. I’m selfish like that.”

Jong Kook prepared her to sleep, so she obliged gladly. He was brushing her hair with his fingers as he started to sing the song that she requested. She closed her eyes, and his eyes are now looking at her pretty face, “My hot lips want to touch your soft lips, so that my love will be delivered to your heart. If you still haven’t known what I felt, I will love you more than anyone in this world. I will love you until always. I will love you like this moment right now, more than anyone in this world. I will love you, - -“ He stopped singing when he noticed the machine.

Jae Suk stood up from where he was sitting when he saw Jong Kook running towards where the doctor is. “Jong Kook, what’s going on?” he asked running after Jong Kook until he realized that someone has to be beside Ji Hyo. Jae Suk returned to where Ji Hyo is, but he screamed her name aloud when he noticed the machine - the patient monitor. “Ji Hyo-ya! You said won’t sleep forever. Don’t you die on me!” yelled Jong Kook as he returned from outside while the machine shows them that the lines are wavy, and that they are now slowly becoming flat lines.