The Talk

Scent of a Flower

 

“That’s enough.” told Suk Jin aloud. He knows that Jong Kook and Ji Hyo’s relationship is in a mess right now, but he hopes that the relationship among all of them won’t be affected. “We should not mix pleasure with business.” he reminded the two men. Gary looked at Suk Jin as he said, “Hyung, you know so well why I am like this, and he knows pretty well why mixing pleasure with business might not be possible to us.” Gary bowed at them, and decided to leave, so Ha Ha followed him.

“I’m sorry.” said Jong Kook. Suk Jin tapped his shoulder as he said, “We are not the ones who should hear that, Jong Kook-ah.” Kwang Soo nodded at him, and he nodded back. “I’ll get going now.” he said excusing himself before leaving the filming location. When Suk Jin, Jae Suk, and Kwang Soo were left, they just sighed heavily at the same time. “What are we going to do now, hyung?” asked Kwang Soo. “We don’t need to do anything. We just have to trust them.” said Jae Suk.

“Does it hurt a lot?” asked Ji Hyo’s friend when she confessed her situation. She nodded her head as a reply, so one of her close friends gave her a hug. “That’s normal. Love is like that.” said Lee Dong Wook, her very close same-aged friend, who was her co-star in “Mandate of Heaven”. “Have you talked to him again?” he asked to which Ji Hyo answered with a no. “I guess you two need to talk again. You have to talk about everything personally and professionally.” adviced Dong Wook.

“There are two sides in every story, hyung.” said Ha Ha to Gary when the latter mentioned his concern about Ji Hyo and Jong Kook. “Hyung isn’t a child anymore, so I’m sure he knows what he has done, and why he has done it. He has his reasons, hyung.” added Ha Ha. “You know Dong Hoon-ah, everything happens for a reason but sometimes the reason is that you’re stupid and you make bad decisions, and that’s what angers me the most. He shouldn’t have let her go like that. It hurts.”

Ji Hyo and Dong Wook looked at each other when her phone started to ring. They both know who the caller is because her contact list has pictures. Dong Wook made a gesture for her to answer the call, but her body seemed to be numb. She shook her head for she’s not ready to talk with Jong Kook yet. Dong Wook didn’t want her to be suffering, so before he answered the call for her, he told Ji Hyo, who was surprised with what he did, “Go. Swallow your pride and follow your heart.”

Thanks to Dong Wook, Ji Hyo and Jong Kook are now sitting in front of each other. They asked Ha Ha to let them use his restaurant privately to which Ha Ha agreed on. “Ji Hyo-yah, I’m sorry about last night.” he told her. She looked at him trying to calm herself because she won’t lie that her heart is still racing so fast despite their decision to call it quits. “You know there’s no need to say sorry.” she said softly. “I know I was such a fool, I’m really sorry.” added Jong Kook, looking really sad.

Ji Hyo smiled a little when he heard him spoke those words, “Why are you swallowing your pride? You weren’t wrong; you were just too honest with what you feel.” Jong Kook smiled back at her as he said, “You know I can do anything for you, right?” Ji Hyo didn’t answer the question since she thinks the opposite, and Jong Kook was smart enough to realize what Ji Hyo’s silence means. “I guess I can’t.” he then admitted which made her smile to hide the pain once again.

Jong Kook closed his eyes because he felt so shy towards the woman. He knows that he can do anything for her, but he was reminded that he can’t go public with their relationship yet. “If I tell you I’ll let the public know about our relationship, will you forgive me?” he asked. Ji Hyo looked at him as she said, “You know I have forgiven you already. Even if you won’t tell me you’re sorry, you know that I’ll just easily forgive you, right?” Jong Kook reached for Ji Hyo’s hands, but she avoided it.

Ji Hyo shook her head as tears well up her eyes when she said, “I know you know how much you mean to me. I know you know how much I love you. But sometimes, love just ain’t enough. They say love doesn’t walk away, people do. And so am I.” Jong Kook gulped when he heard Ji Hyo’s words. “Did it hurt like this?” he asked. Ji Hyo looked at him again when he added in a cracked voice, “When I decided to just let go, did it really hurt like this?" When she didn't answer, he said, "I guess karma is a b-tch.”

For hours, they were just in the restaurant, silently looking at each other. When Ji Hyo was about to get up after telling Jong Kook that she has to get ready for her flight to China tomorrow, he grasped her wrist and said, “Could you please stay with me? Please don’t get away.” Ji Hyo touched his hand trying to feel the warmth of it while fighting back the tears when she replied before walking out of the restaurant, “I guess I’m not the one that got away, I’m just that woman - - you failed to keep.”