The Name

Scent of a Flower

“Where are you going?” asked her mother when she saw her sneaking out of the house early in the morning.

She stopped to give her mom a reply. She looked at her and smiled as she said, “I will go to the beach, Mom. I don’t know what time I’ll come back home, but I won’t go far away. I’ll just stay at the beach.”

“Sung Im-ah!” yelled her mom when she quickly stepped out of the house.

Ji Hyo smiled when she recalled how her mom called her. Before she became the famous actress-entertainer Song Ji Hyo, she used to be called Sung Im by a lot of people. Cheon Seung Im is her real name, and she’s just using ‘Song Ji Hyo’ as her screen name.

She then remembered how she waited for many hours at the beach hoping to see the guy again. She went to the beach in the morning, and when it’s night already, she’s starting to lose hope that she’ll see the guy who captivated her young heart.

She stood up from sitting on sand and yelled, “Where are you now, Thief? You Thief should know that I will make sure to see you again.”

She was about to leave the beach, but was surprised to see someone in front of her. She smiled widely when she saw the person whom she has been hoping to see.

“Thief,” she called much to the guy’s surprise.

“Thief?” he asked curiously.

She felt like she was over the moon when he heard the voice of the guy again. She wanted to explain why she calls him like that, but the guy walked past her again.

“Do you have a habit of walking away when someone is talking to you?” she asked the guy, who was looking for something on the sand.

The guy didn’t reply, and just went searching for something. The guy looked at her, so she smiled. But her smile disappeared when she heard him asked, “Have you seen a bracelet?”

“A bracelet?” she asked hoping to have heard the question wrong.

“Are you deaf?” the guy asked, but she smiled when she remembered that she asked him that question yesterday.

“Yesterday, when you grabbed my wrist, it must have been broken here.” added the guy.

She shook her head when she said, “You weren’t wearing a bracelet yesterday. I am so sure about it because - - -“

“Because?” asked the guy who was waiting for her answer.

“I was looking at you the whole time.” she then answered honestly.

The guy’s mouth opened upon hearing her honest reply, so he asked, “Don’t you know that it is not funny to hear that from a young girl like you?”

“A young girl like you should focus more on other things. At least be more respectful of your age.” he then told her.

His words felt like her heart has been hit by a bullet. She didn’t know that she’ll experience love and pain at a very young age. She felt like tearing up, but she was able to pull herself.

When the guy looked at her, she smiled at him and said, “Thank you for your kind words. I will always remember.”

She gave him a bow which made the guy surprised. She lifted her head up as she said, “Do you want to know why I go to a place like this all the time?"

"It’s because if there’s no person present here, the beach will be sad.” she started to air her thoughts.

“Same goes with you.” she added. “With the way you look at things, I wish you could find someone who’ll be present in your life, so you won’t be sad.”

She turned around at the guy after she gave him one last bow. She stopped walking away when he heard him say, “Who do you think you are to say that?”

She looked at the guy again and answered, “If you are that interested, my name is Cheon Sung Im.”

She then turned around again, but the guy was quick enough to block her from walking away. He is now in front of her. She looked at him in the eye, and that was enough for the guy to talk again.

“I hate being in debt to someone. And since you have given me your name, it is just right for me to give you my name.” he told her with a serious expression on his face.

She was in agape when he said, "I wish not to see you ever again, so you can hate me if you want."

And now she knew that it's her first bittersweet moment when she heard him said, "My name is not Thief, it's...,"

"Kim Jong Kook." he then revealed before giving her a bow which made her hate the name... now.