December 30th (10 years ago)

Hidden & Revealed

     "Happy birthday, Jisoo-ah!" Soonyoung and his parents shouted as Mrs. Kwon uncovered my eyes. 

      In front of me, on the table, was a white, 2-layered birthday cake with the words 'Happy Birthday' written on top with blue frosting. There were 10 red, lit candles standing tall on the edge of the circular cake and the wax was starting to melt. 

        "Well what are you waiting for? Make a wish!" Soonyoung said excitedly. 

       I closed my eyes and took a deep breath through my mouth before blowing all the candles with just one try. 

      Soonyoung and his family applauded loudly and Mr. Kwon patted me on the head. A small smile formed on my face as I looked at the Kwons one by one. They looked so happy being with one another and I thought of my own parents. It's been a month since their accident and there's still no sign of who was culprit that ran into their car. But once images of them appeared in my mind, they quickly vanished into thin air, and were replaced by the Kwons family. Soonyoung said it himself after learning about the accident. We're your family now. You're not alone, Jisoo-ah. 

        "Thank you," I managed to let out the two words, despite the tears of joy that were welling up.

        "Aw why the sudden tears?" Mr. Kwon ruffled my hair and I giggled. 

        "Stop crying! You look weird when you cry! Come on, open your presents. Ooh open mine first!" Soonyoung handed me a small rectangular prism box that was wrapped in blue  paper and finished off with an orange ribbon. 

       I took it and started to rip the paper and ribbon off, revealing a closed black box. Slowly, I lifted up the top and found a blue watch placed neatly inside the box, surrounded by white cotton to protect it. 

         "I seriously didn't know what it is you want for your birthday so I thought maybe a watch will do. But you know...if you don't like it...you can just give it to me..." He rubbed the back of  his neck awkwardly.  I knew that Soonyoung has been asking his parents to buy him a watch for a while now, but they continued to say no. I guess this was his only chance of receiving one. 

         I grinned and grabbed Soonyoung's left arm and secured the watch around his wrist. "There you go. Now you have your own watch, Soonyoung-ah!" He looked at it  and hugged me tightly, so tight that I was starting to suffocate. "Can't...breathe..." My best friend finally let go and the two of us started laughing whole-heartedly.

       After that, one by one, I opened my presents and was so touched by the feelings behind them. 

       "Mom! Dad! Can we pleeeaase go to the park and get some ice cream?! Pleeeaasee! It's Jisoo's birthday!" 

       "Yeah! It's my birthday! Pleeaasseee! The park is right across the street!!" We both gave our best puppy dog eyes and a little pout and Soonyoung's parents had no other choice but fall for this trick and let us go.

       "Okay. If you guys want to eat ice cream in the middle of winter then go get dressed first. It snowed a bit late this year so make sure to dress warm okay?" Mrs. Kwon replied and we nodded before running upstairs to put on more layers of clothes.

       Afterward, Soonyoung and I rushed toward the park and were so eager when we heard the well-known ice cream truck's jingle. I was quite surprised that they were still selling them in this cold weather. 

      "Jisoo-ah, go find an empty swing set and wait for me there. I'll buy the ice cream. What do you want?"

      "Surprise me."

      "Okay!" He dashed towards the truck while I looked around to find a place to sit. Once my eyes caught a pair of empty swings, I hurried towards it before anyone gets there. I grabbed both swings, sat down on one, and began swinging slowly. 

      Out of the corner of my eye, I could see someone approaching, but it didn't look like Soonyoung. I turned and met eyes with a long-haired boy, who looked around my age. He seemed frightened when we made eye contact and began shaking. 

       "Hey are you okay?" I asked, worrying that the boy might be shivering because of the cold. He was wearing a white elbow sleeve shirt and white shorts underneath. He finished his outfit off with white knee-high socks that covered the rest of his legs, and matching sneakers. He looked like he could be one with the snow. 

        "Y-Yeah I'm okay. I-It's just no humans could see me before. My mom said my power isn't that strong to form a real body yet."

       What is this guy saying? 

     "Well, uh, I mean I can see you clearly. Aren't you cold? You're not wearing a scarf or gloves or anything that can keep you warm. Do you want to wear my gloves?" I quickly took my white gloves off without waiting for an answer and handed it over to him, not leaving my place on the swing. Once he took it, I shoved my hands into my pockets to keep them from freezing up. "Hey they match your outfit too. Sorry that I can't give the scarf to you because it's something very important.  My parents gave it to me."

     "Oh..." he hesitated before continued, "I'm sorry aboout your parents' death by the way."

      "Thanks. It's fine I-wait, how do you know about that?" I studied him up and down to make sure he wasn't the one responsible for my parents' death in disguise. 

       He shrugged. "Angels know everything."

        Angels? "What are you talking ab-"

        "Jisoo-ah! I'm back! I got you my favorite so you better eat it!" I turned to see Soonyoung coming my way with two ice cream cones in his hands. When I turned back to the boy in white, readied myself to introduce him to Soonyoung, he was already gone. 

       "Oh?" 

       "Jisoo-ah, what's wrong? You look a bit pale."

       "Did you see a boy here earlier?" Soonyoung furrowed his eyebrows and looked around, then shook his head. 

       "I think the cold is affecting your eyesight. Come on let's go home!"

        "Yeah maybe." 

         But whether he was real or not, that kid was strange.