Is this the End? (Part One)

Finders-Keepers

"So Kala.... do you think it will be okay?"   

"Yeah, Eyre's can take him..."  I looked down at my phone and quietly tapped it, avoiding her eyes. It was clear that we both didn't want to talk about this, but it was something that needed to be discussed. 

"Kala..... I don't want to take him to Eyre's... I just can't.... have him here any more. My mom almost found him again, and he's getting huge! He takes up my whole bed now. I don't know how much longer I can have him before he..."

"Before he gets his instincts and could hurt you?"   I look up.

".....You said it yourself, he's a wild animal..... He could.... hurt me.... Not that I think he would! I just..." 

"I get it... I'll call Eyre's later today okay? Don't worry about it Ana."   I smile at her and give her a hug before the class ends. 

I know she doesn't want to give up Taemin, but she can't keep him there anymore..... I have to start thinking about giving Leo to Eyre's too.... He's getting pretty big too..... I can't keep him forever.....   I walk to my last class, imagining what it would be like to not have Leo with me.

I meet the girls at our usual bench after eight period outside and am greeted by the sad faces on the girls.  

"Kala!! Have you heard? SHINee and VIXX are missing!!"

"Yeah I-"

"People are saying that they were kidnapped!"

"Yeah I-"

"Fans are all freaking out because not even the families know-"

"Yeah the cops are saying that they have been missing for about seven months. 

"Guys! I know! I found out last night...." My voice lowered when the shocked expressions of my friends surround me.

"YOU KNEW?!?!"  They all screamed in unison.

"Well yeah... but I found out late so I didn't want to wake any of you. Besides I was worried about Leo..." The last part wasn't meant to be said outloud. 

Tanya stopped first.  

"Why were you worried? Is he okay?"  

I need to keep my mouth shut sometimes.    "Yeah, he just... I don't know he seems to be distancing himself from me.... It's probably nothing, I mean I'm probably over reacting you know."  I shrug in a "It doesn't really matter" kind of way and head towards the buses. Tanya grabs my hand, pulling me back.

"Whoa, what is this a k-drama?"  I try to joke.

"Kal, if something is wrong, tell us. We'll help you. If you think something is wrong with Leo, then we'll deal with it together. Remember, we're a team. So what's happening?"   

Ana and Lizzy come up behind Tanya, all three of them giving me a serious look. Don't break, don't break, don't break.....

"Leo just... I don't know last night he moved away from me and slept on the opposite end of the bed. He's never done that before. And then this morning, he didn't even open his eyes when I said goodbye which is completely unlike him. I'm worried...."  

Tanya wraps her arm around my shoulder, Ana does the same as Lizzy stands close to us. 

"I'm sure it's nothing serious. He may just need some space."  That's really weird. Leo would never do something like that. He cares way too much to do those things.  

"Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much Kala."  Could Leo be sick? I couldn't imagine Jonghyun doing that to me... I've grown to used to having him sleeping next to me on the bed. 

"Give it a couple days, he'll be back to normal!"  Or maybe... Maybe it's time Leo goes to Eyre's too.... 

"Yeah, I'm sure you guys are right. Thanks." 

"Hey! I have an idea, since it's Friday how about you guys come over my house for a sleep over? We can all chill, and the animals can hang out together too!" 

"That sounds like a good idea! What time should we come over?" 

"I'll bring the food and makeup!"

"Hmm... Come around five! And awesome! I'll order some pizza and stuff!"

I smiled. Maybe a night with the girls is just what I need. Leo could use the company too.   "I'll bring the music and treats for the animals." 

"Awesome! I'll see you whack-jobs at five then!"  

"Later!"

"Annyeong!" 

"See you guys later."   

 

I watch the four girls disperse and each head to a different bus. From across the street I watch Kala get onto one bus as Tanya, Ana and Lizzy walk further into the crowd of students. 

   "Uh... Sir?" 

Sooman turned to the driver. "What?" 

   "The school's security is walking towards the car. What should we say?" 

With a heavy sigh, Sooman plasters on a fake friendly smile and rolls down the window to greet the  American.

"Hello sir. May I ask why you are parked outside of the school?"  The officer looks in at the driver who just nods and looks down at his phone. SooMan smiles and clears his throat.

  "Ah, yes. I am new here, and... I was just checking out what the high school is like for my uh.. daughter. She will be attending here soon." 

SooMan's heart thumped loudly in his chest. Not because he was nervous about the questioning officer, but because the image of his Shinwha popped into his head.  

"Oh! I see well, this is the main entrance. If you would like to get to know the school a little better then you can go in that way and make an appointment with one of the secretaries."  The officer smiled kindly.

 "Thank you very much. I will do it another day, for I have some... errands to attend too before my daughter comes here. Have a good day." He looked at the driver which was the signal to get them the hell out of there. 

When there was a good distance between them and the school, SooMan laughed at his success. 

  "The plan is going accordingly so far. With any luck I'll have the animals in my hands by next week!"  He laughed more at the idea of looking at the dead bodies of the idols and girls sprawled out on the floor. 

 

I step off the bus, grateful to be home and hopeful that Leo will be in a better mood. When I walk to the door, I see my Dad sitting on the couch, something I haven't seen for a while. 

  "Hey Dad. No work today?" 

"Hey Kiddo, and no, I have the rest of the day off." He laughs, rubbing it in. 

"Well good. Oh! Later is it okay if I go over to Tanya's for a sleepover? Ana and Lizzy will be there too." 

He stretches out his back like a giant bear would and lets out a groan.  "Yeah, I don't see why not. Just make sure you get your homework done up there."  He motions towards my room.

"Of course, thanks." I give him a smile and walk past him to the staircase.

"I don't know what you do up there all day. You barely come down stairs anymore. What you got up there? A boy?"  He laughs at his joke that makes me extremely uneasy.

"N-No! Dad don't be silly. I'm just reading and doing quiet things!"  I stutter out.

"Yeah I know you are Kala. That's why I'm glad you are a well behaved girl." He smiles and walks into the kitchen to find some food.

I really wish he would stop joking like that. I just about have a heart attack every time he does.  I take the stairs two at a time and open my door, closing it behind me quickly. 

"Leo I'm home!" I say out loud, waiting to hear his normal meow of a greeting.  Nothing.

"Leo?" I put my bag on the floor and walk over to my bed where Leo is fast asleep.

"Hey Leo... Are you okay?"

I open my eyes to see Kala looking down at me with a soft smile. Normally, I would be happy to see her beautiful face but now... Now I can't stop thinking about how.... I'm not human.  

  Hi Kala...  I roll over away from her, trying to sleep more. 

"Leo? Did you sleep all day?" 

Yeah, so what? I'm a cat. It's what cats do remember? Besides I don't have any reason to get up.

I reach my hand out to pet his side, but stop midway and pull it back.  He just needs space. I need to give it to him.  I take a step back and walk to my desk.  

"So Leo, Tanya invited us to her house. You can see Minho, Taemin and Jonghyun. I'm sure they would love to see you too!"  As I sit down I keep my eyes on him, looking for any movement indicating excitement. He didn't move. 

I don't want to go. 

"I'm sure it would be good for you to get out of the house as well." I look down at my nails, feeling awkward.

I don't want to go. They are loud and I don't have anything to say to them.

I look for any signs of movement from him and nothing. He's just laying there, not planning on moving anytime soon. 

I sigh.  "Alright, I'll ask you when it gets closer to it. We still have about three hours..."  Nothing.  I turn towards my computer and turn it on, hoping that I can find something to keep me busy. 

I haven't done anything to upset him right....? 

MEANWHILE AT TANYA'S

"Minnie..... Would you ever ignore me?"  I ask as I pet his fur. 

Of course I wouldn't Tanya. Why would you ask that?  I lean into her hand as she scratches behind my ear. 

"Well Kala said that Leo is well... kind of ignoring her. Like he moved away from her last night, and this morning he wasn't there to say goodbye to her, like he always is. That is so unlike him you know? I'm just worried because Kala cares about him so much and I know it would break her heart if Leo keeps this up."

Really? That's so unlike him. He could barely stand a weekend away from her, and now he wants distance? Something's up. I'll talk to him when he comes over later, knock some sense into him.  I say happily to Tanya, wanting to let her know that I'd take care of it. 

"I really hope he goes back to normal. Kala won't be able to handle it if he stays like this..."  I can already see Kala sitting there, crying. I really don't want that... 

 I pick up some other clothes, and throw them into the closet. Then pull out the sleeping mat and throw my pillows and blankets onto it. There, all ready!

BACK AT KALA'S

I finish typing the last paragraph in my murder-mystery story and save it then look at the time. 4:43 pm. Holy crap! I have to get ready! I bolt up, yanking out my doufle bag from under the bed and start throwing clothes, my tooth brush, and other needed things into it. All the while Leo, laid on his pillow watching me with little interest.

When everything was packed, and I had the puppy and large cat treats packed away nicely in my bag I looked at Leo with hope. 

"Ready to go buddy?" 

I sighed. Kala I said, I'm not going. I want to stay here and sleep.   I stood up and jumped off the bed to my water bowl. Feeling her eyes watching me.

"Oh comeon Leo, it will be good for you! I'll even let you sleep on my pillow when we get there."  I show him my pillow to try and coax him. 

No Kala. 

"Leo... Come on..."  I walk over to him and kneel down.  "Are you mad at me or something? Did I do something?"  I put my hand on his back gently, like I have many times before. 

Huh?! I jump when I feel her hand on me. I jump back and raise my paw, ready to strike... at her. Kala also jumps back in shock. 

"Whoa! Al-alright Leo.... Sorry... I didn't mean to upset you... I'll uh... I'll just leave now. You have your dinner in your dish..."  I stand up, weary of him. We watch each other for a few seconds before I turn and walk out, closing the door tightly behind me. 

I say goodbye to my Dad and get into my car.  He... almost scratched me... He's never done that before.... He freaked out when Hongbin scratched me but now he... He was really upset...   I bite my lip, fighting the tears as I drive away. 

I hear the sound of her car growing farther and farther.  Did I almost... hit her?... No.... She just startled me. I would never hurt her... I wouldn't even dream of it... Something's wrong... 

By the time I make it to Tanya's I've already replayed everything from the beginning of the week to what just happened. During that whole time I couldn't figure out what I had done to upset him that much.

"Hey Kala! What's- Hey where's Leo?" I stop the hello short when I don't see her clutching her beloved feline. 

"Oh he... he didn't want to come. So he's home."  I say somberly, on the verge of tears. 

"Alright. Well you know you can always play with the others. Come on, the girls are inside."  I usher her through the door, quickly. She's going to break soon. I can tell. 

When I walked through the door I saw Taemin, Minho and Jonghyun playing on the floor with a tennis ball as Ana and Lizzy were on the mat talking and munching on chips. 

"Hey! How's Leo?"   Tanya who was behind Kala gave me a "SHUT UP" expression and when I looked at Kala I knew why. She was crying. 

Hey guys, stop. Kala's here. I want ot know if Leo's any better. Wait, where is he?

What do you mean? What's wrong with Leo Hyung?

Is he okay?

"Whoa, what's wrong Kal? Is everything okay? Come talk to us."  I moved over and pulled kala down between Lizzy and I. Tanya sat in front of her, all of us creating the circle of comfort. 

"He-He.... He almost scratched me...."  I started to sob.

"WHAT?!"  They all said in shock.

He what?!?! 

Oh my god... I can't believe he would hurt her!

 He's lost his mind. I knew he was always a little crazy!

Whoa whoa whoa, guys wait. I know him. I know how much he cares for her. He would never hurt her. There must be something going on in his head.

"Yeah... I went to pet him when I was leaving and I guess I scared him enough that he jumped back and raised his paw at me. He didn't scratch me though! I think I just scared him..." 

"Yeah that was probably it. I mean, he would never hurt you."  I grab her hand and squeeze it comforting her. 

"Totally. we all know how much he lo-cares about you." 

Yeah.

Yeah

Wait.. We do?  I turn to my hyungs confused.  Does Leo... You know... Love her?

I roll my eyes,  Yes Taemin-ie. He does. That's how I'm certain that he would never hurt her. 

oooohhh Then "Yeah!" 

"Kala... Do you think that maybe it's time for him to.... You know go to Eyre's?"  

It felt like in that second everything stopped.  Leave it to Lizzy to say the one thought I was terrified to say out loud. 

"I.... I don't know..."

I shake my head. "No, he doesn't need to go to Eyre's yet. He's fine. He's just.... in a bad mood, that's all!"  Oh god. We can't send him to Eyre's... I can't stand to see my new favorite ship be broken apart. 

"Yeah, Lizzy don't be stupid. She doesn't need to give him to Eyre's just like I don't need to give-... You know who to Eyre's."  I look at the white tiger who along with his friends were watching us. 

"Ana, you and Kala both know how dangerous they are or will be become. You also know that mom is not really suspicious about him and you have to give him away. Kala will have to too. Sooner or later."  

Oh no...

Ana and I sat quietly for a few moments. She's right. Sooner or later Leo will have to go to Eyre's. I sigh and wipe my eyes.  

  "Ana... She's right. Taemin and Leo are going to keep growing and we won't be able to hide them any longer.... It's time."  My voice was soft, not being able to be louder without crying.

What? Wait... I'm going to Eyre's? I can't go!  I look at Minho and Jonghyun who both look at a loss for words.  Hyungs! Do something!

Taemin-ah, we can't do anything..... We have to think about what their parents will do if they find you.

"Kala you can't be serious.... I mean you love Leo. You won't be able to put him in Eyre's... I know you."  

"Ana... I know. But We also have to think about what 's best for them... I mean what if the reason why Leo is being so irritable is because he's sick of being in my room? He needs space to run around, to hunt, to be... a leopard. So does Taemin."  I look at Taemin who was looking nervous.

"H-Hey guys... Let's not think about this now huh? We will deal with this later right?"

"Yeah. And we will deal with this together. You guys won't have to be alone in this."  

Ana and I looked at each other, then at Taemin and back at the girls.  "Okay. We'll talk about this later." 

I smile in relief. I hate it when we all get depressed.  I stand up and put on music for us to have in the background. I know what I have to do to make them laugh.  I put on the only song I know that will annoy them enough to make them laugh.  Girl's Generartion's "Gee" .

"Ugh Tanya do you have to play that song? It's so last month."  

"Haha yeah, besides we all know that EXO's new song is way better!" 

"No! I am so sick of hearing them right now Ana. That's all you play in your car!"  I laugh. 

"That's why I put this song on! Everyone loves this song! How could they not?" 

"Hahaha you are such a Koreaboo!"  Lizzy and Ana "oohh" and high five me. That was the word we used to win these things. 

Hey don't call her that!

Wow that was mean.

Ow

    "....Furry" 

We all go silent when we hear the name.  It takes me a few seconds to realize what she just called me.  "Did you just..." 

"Wow that's low."

"I can't believe you just called her that. She's your friend right?"

Tanya! How could you call her that?!

The girl has guts.

Wow that was really low. Even Minho hyung wouldn't go that low. 

I smile innocently.  Mission accomplished. 

"Did you really just call me a furry?!"  I laugh in shock. 

'Well I mean you do love Leo.... Whose to say that it isn't on a different level?"  I laugh more and take a few steps away from Kala.

"yes I do love him. But not in that way!" 

"Suuurreeee Kala, Whatever you say."  I take another step back from Kala who had stood up and was looking at me menacingly. 

"Tanya... Take it back."  I take a step towards her as I laugh.

Lizzy and Ana look at one another and say a shared "uh-oh" before standing up and handing Tanya and I each a pillow.  

"Okay girls, you know the rules. First one to fall to the ground loses, no hitting after defeat." 

I take a defensive stance as Tanya does the same. We eye each other up and down like they do in the movies. 

"Annnnddd GO!" 

I raise my pillow first and aim for Kala's head as she aims for mine.   "You. Are. A. Furry!"

I smack Tanya on the side. "No I'm not!!!!"  I hit her again as our pillow fight continues with laughs and curses. 

 

I sat down on my bed and Taemin and  Jonghyun sat beside me as we watch the girls fight.  I'll never understand girls and how they settle fights. At least they are laughing..

Yeah, Agreed.  So do you think they will find us?

Doubtful Taemin-ah. We are animals. Our parents aren't going to be looking for dogs and cats, they are going to looking for their sons. 

Yeah, and we don't even know where Key and Onew Hyung are. I hope they are okay. 

You don't think they are.... Dead, do you? 

 My heart plummeted. I hadn't even thought about that. I just assumed that they were alive like the rest of us and in some animal form somewhere. Never that they were... dead. 

Taemin stop thinking like that. They are alive. I know they are...

Okay Hyung.....   

Hey guys... have you noticed anyone weird around your houses?  I spoke up after a moment, wanting to get confirmation. 

Huh? Someone? No. Taemin?  I look to the white tiger who for a moment looked like his normal "deer-in-the-headlights" self until he shook his head no 

Hmm.... Alright. I saw some guy walking around the house outside this morning. I couldn't get a good look at him but I could smell him. And he smelled... familiar.

Could he have been a family member of Tanya's?

No because he didn't come to the door. If he was, wouldn't you think that he would have said hello to her mother?

Okay yeah that is weird. I'll keep an eye out for anyone suspicious. 

I will too. There's no way I'm going to let someone hurt Ana!   I flex out my claws to show off to my hyungs who just scoffed and laughed. 

 

 

After the fight the four of us ate and finished the night with playing with the three animals, watching videos, playing games and just talking. Even though I was having fun, I still thought of Leo. 

I hope he's okay there, all alone.... I think he'll be fine at Eyre's... He needs to go. That's probably why he's been acting so.... cold towards me....  Sleep started to over come me. I was laying next to Tanya, who of course had Minho right by her side. Just like Lizzy had Jonghyun by her side and Ana had Taemin.  

   He needs to have more space to roam around. He's a wild animal with instincts and one day, he could hurt me, or someone else. I can't let that happen.... So I guess I have to put him in Eyre's.... It's for the best.... 

  Silent tears slid down my cheeks when I came to my conclusion. Leo was going to Eyre's.  

 "N-Noo...."    

Mmmhh..

"N-Nooo...Don't..."

Huh?  What's that noise?   I lift my head and look at Tanya.   It's not Tanya. She isn't having a nightmare. Then who-... I look at Kala who was squirming and looked to be in pain. 

She must be having a nightmare about Leo Hyung.   I watch her for a few moments before sadness and guilt wash over me. With a sigh I move closer to Kala and press my wet nose against her's.  After a minute or two she opens her eyes and once they focus on me, they tear up. 

Uh... Wait no! I didn't mean to make you cry! I just didn't want you to keep having the nightmare!! Wait!        I look around to see if anyone else was awake, nope.    Okay Minho, it's up to you to comfort her. 

I move closer to her still and feel her wrap her arms around my neck.    "I have to give him up Minho... But I can't..."   Was all she said before she fell back to sleep.   

When I was sure she was in a deep sleep I moved away before I died from over-heating, until she only had my paw in her hand.    Uugghh... I'm so ticklish around my paws. Do you have to hold on to them?     I looked at her tear-stained cheeks and sighed.   Yes, yes you do. Goodnight Kala....

 

I opened my eyes the next morning and looked to my left. Kala was fast asleep, holding on one of Minho's paws, making me smile.  Minho must be able to tell how much pain she's in. He doesn't like people touching his paws.  Don't worry Kala, we will get through this together. 

I wobble to my feet and avoid stepping on anyone's feet or paws and go to the bathroom. I close the door and in the mirror on the door I see the reflection of a man in the window. 

   "AAAHHH!!!!!!!"  I let out a terrified shriek and open the door, running out.   I'm met by my mom and the girls. Along with the animals who were peering from the doorway out of sight. 

"Tanya! What's wrong?!"  Her mother asked trying to calm her daughter down. 

:There's a man outside!!!"  I point to the window and my mom walks over to where he was. Kala and the others walk over to me to comfort me.

Her mother comes back looking slightly distressed. "Tanya, honey there's no one out there. You were probably still half-asleep."

I shake my head. "No mom, I swear he was there. He was just watching me, I think he may have been looking for a way in."  

"Tanya, I just looked and there was no one there. I'm pretty sure you were just dreaming. Which is common. Now try to calm down hm?"  With that her mother walked away into the living room.

I turn to the girls. "Guys I know I saw someone. I'm not crazy."  I thought for a second. "Well I am, but I'm not that crazy." 

I nodded and took her arm, leading her back to her bedroom.  "I know Tan, it's okay. Do  you remember what he looks like?" 

I thought for a moment, trying to remember what he looked like. I remember he was wearing a baseball hat, and had short, black hair. He looked older.   "No... Nothing really. Just that he had short, black hair, and looked to be a lot older. Maybe around our parent's age." 

"Well he probably was some kind of creeper, wanting to peep in on a girl's sleep over. I hope he doesn't come back."

"You and me both!" I take a deep breathe.  "How about we get some breakfast?"  

  With mutual "sures" we all made our way to the kitchen where we devoured a box of donuts and some juice. 

 "Hey thanks again for letting me sleep over Tanya. IT helped me clear my head." I say with a smile as I get into my car. Lizzy and Ana had already left and I wanted to be home so that I could start looking into a placement for Leo. 

"Oh no problem! You know you are always welcomed here! I got ya back sister!"  I smile.

"Haha, thanks. I got yours too. Anyways I should get going. I have some errands to run. Bye Tanya."  

"Later Kala! Oh and remember, Leo is probably just in a bad mood right now! He's still your Leo!"  I say as I wave her off while she drives away. 

 Don't forget that. He is your Leo.

"He's your Leo"  The words seem so... surreal. I've been blind the past few months about what I wanted. I haven't been thinking about what is best for Leo. As much as I would love to have him stay and have him be "my Leo", I can't. He needs to go to Eyre's.... 

I drove the whole way home in silence, not even bothering to turn on some music like I always do to have background noise. 

 

When I got to my house I was surprised to see that my Dad was home. He usually worked in the morning.  I called out for him when I walked in the door but didn't get a reply. So I walked up to my room quietly thinking that he must be sleeping. 

 "Hey Leo..."  I whispered softly when I closed my bedroom door. I looked around and saw Leo looking at me from his pillow with a worried expression.  Suddenly all the apprehensiveness I had felt was gone and my focus was turned to finding out what was wrong with him. 

"Leo? What's wrong? Are you okay?"  I sit on the bed and without any coaxing, he walked over to me and nudged my hand with his head. 

  Kala... I'm so sorry... I wasn't careful enough and-

My door opened abruptly and there stood my Dad with a very pissed expression on his face.  He looked at Leo and his expression darkened more.

  "Kala Anastasia Gilmore. I will give you five seconds to explain why the hell! I found a leopard in your room yesterday when I went to put clothes away. And why I am still staring at said leopard now!!"  His loud voice boomed around the room, cutting into me like knifes. 

I looked down at Leo and we both knew that this was the beginning of the end.  

 

 

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````// A/N

 

Hey guys! Sorry for taking long to update! So! How do you guys like this chapter? I hope no one took offense to me finding the song "Gee" annoying.  Anywhoo, as you guys have probably guessed, things are about to go down hill, meaning that there are only a few chapters remaining in my story. I just want to say thank you to all of you for reading this, and for sticking with it even when some chapters are just plan messes haha. Seeing the comments, and seeing new subscribers makes me so happy. So thank you! So what do you guys think will happen next? Sorry (not sorry) for the cliff-hanger!  

As always, see you lovelies in the next chapter! 

      xox-Lian. 

tumblr_inline_n9vz7tISTn1skiuc6.gif  tumblr_nf7qb59Spv1re454io1_250.giftumblr_mnajj64yyY1s5yy7xo1_400.giftumblr_mazvokhCcw1qbgtddo1_500.gif