Lost

Finders-Keepers

"NNNOOO!!!!"   

I bolted awake in bed, my heart pounding, sweat trickling down my face. I couldn't breathe right, it was as if my lungs were filled with thick, gooey cement, constricting my oxygen intake. I was having an anxiety attack.

I my light with shaky hands, trying to wake myself up fully. What's wrong with me? What happened?!  

My eyes shot open at the shrill scream from Kala. I looked up and saw that she was wide awake, her breathing erratic and her face was wet with tears.

Kala?!? Are you okay?! I crawled from my warm spot on my pillow over to her lap just as she the light. I can feel how anxious she was, but I don't know why she is.

I inhaled deeply, and exhaled slowly. I shut my eyes and counted to ten. When the pounding in my ears stopped, I felt Leo's gently pawing on my hand, as if he was trying to distract me.

Kala....Are you alright?

"L-Leo....."  I whimpered out before picking him up and cuddling him close. He soon began to purr, comforting me even more. I pet his soft fur and sighed, the tight knot in my chest dissipating ever-so-slowly.

I cuddled close to Kala, hoping that I could calm her down. She's never woken up like this before, especially so late at night. Maybe she had a nightmare..... I think to myself as I purr louder to try and take away her anxiety.

What was I dreaming about? What could have made me wake up hyperventilating? I haven't done that since I was a little girl.... I leaned my head back and thought back to the last thing I could remember.  

I was....at Eyre's...... and I was begging someone..... someone to help me find someone that I lost..... I couldn't find them..... I was lost...without them..... I started to run around the zoo grounds trying to find them, but I couldn't.... Someone came up behind me and told me to forget the one I lost. That's when I woke up....

 

I watched Kala carefully, looking for any signs of distress. She looked back down at me a few minutes later with a puzzled look. I returned the look to her, hoping that she would say something to ease my worry.

I looked at Leo who had his fuzzy head cocked to one side like he had asked me a question and was waiting for the answer.  I smiled halfheartedly and scratched his ear.

"I'm okay Leo...It was just a nightmare....A very bad nightmare....."  I sighed and reached over to my light, turning it off. I snuggled back under the covers and just when I was about to move Leo back to his pillow, I felt him crawl closer so that he was nose-to-nose with me. I laughed and gently kissed his nose for good measure to ensure that I was alright and fell back asleep, hoping I wouldn't have another nightmare.

      ~------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------~

The next morning I woke up like usual and moved Leo to his pillow, and got ready for my day. When I was ready to leave I saw Leo in his usual spot, ready for a goodbye. He and I had created a system for the mornings. I get up, leave him to sleep, and when he heard me getting ready in the bathroom, he would get up and sit by my bag waiting for a goodbye.

I smiled and leaned down to kiss the top of his head as I grabbed my books and bag. With a goodbye to the sleepy leopard I left and went to catch the bus.

I smiled to myself as Kala left. I could still feel her warm kiss on my head (which if I were in my human body would be my forehead), making me blush a little. Her kisses goodbye were always worth having to get up at the ungodly hour to say goodbye to her.  I got used to her kissing my head, and started to enjoy it after a while, liking the affection that I hadn't gotten back home except from my mother.

Have a good day Kala, see you when you get home. I mentally told her before curling back onto my pillow and sleeping for another few hours.


 

All through the school day I was thinking about the dream, not being able to make sense of what or who I was looking for, and why it caused me to have an anxiety attack.

When my lunch period finally came around, I huddled towards Tanya and Ana, desperate to tell them my dream.

"That's so weird..... The fact that you don't remember anything about who or what you lost is odd. Usually people remember at least something about what they lost.

Tanya pondered after I told them about my dream. Ana just sat there quietly, inside her own head.

"What if what you lost was that part in the dream, so your body tried to find it, making you panic and giving you an anxiety attack?"  Ana guessed, suddenly back in the present with alert eyes.

 

I shook my head.  "No, it doesn't seem like that. I think what caused it was the fact that I was being told to forget it, to not look for it. The idea scared me...."  I go silent, and the girls and  I sit together in silence until the bell rings.

 

"Well uh... I'll see you guys later. Bye"  I waved goodbye to Kala and Ana and headed off to my last class.

All through out History, I couldn't get the images out of my head. Flashes of my horrible nightmare ran through my head like a slide-show presentation on speed.

 

I'm running to get away, running to try and save someone dear to me. I don't know who this person is, but I do know that I need to save them from whatever it is that's chasing me. I need to make sure they are safe.....

When school finally ended, I still had not figured out anything more about my dream. "I'm starting to know how Kala feels..." I sigh in frustration.

"How she feels about what?" Asked my brother.

"Ah!! Holy ! I told you not to sneak up on me like that you dork!!" I swatted him away and walked ahead of him to the bus.

I sat down and gave him the "You sit here, you lose a limb" glare and he sat in the sit in back of me.  

At least the day is over and I get to hang out with Minny!  I smiled happily at the thought of playing with my pupperoni, the thoughts of my dream now clearing away. I put in my head phones and twirl the ring I've had for years around my finger absentmindedly like I always do when I daydream.

I sat up on Tanya's bed when I heard the loud engine of the bus. She's home! I found myself smiling and jumping to the floor to wait for her.

Ever since I found Taemin and Jonghyun, my mood has increased and I have been more excited to see Tanya. Seeing them helped me feel less alone, less helpless. I had at least a small fraction of my old life back.

I enter my room and see Minho waiting expectantly for me. I smile and throw my bag to the side.

"Minho!! How are ya boy?" I ask with a wide smile on my face. Minho starts jumping around and growling playfully. I grab the tug-of-war rope that Kala picked up for him and waved it in front of him.

"Come on Minny! Jump!" I saw Minho's eyes narrow right before he jumped to reach it with his mouth.

I grabbed the rope and started to try and pull it from her, letting low growls escape from my throat.

When she first brought the toy home, I looked at it like it was an alien (making her crack up) and then at her like she was insane, There is no way that I am going to play with that! I may be in a dog's body, but that doesn't mean I will use the same toys as Roo uses!! I mentally told her before jumping up on my side of the bed and laying down.

I remember how her face fell from an excited look to disappointment.  "I guess you don't like it huh? Well maybe Kala can take it back...." I watched her for a moment before guilt filled my heart. Damnit, why do you have to look so disappointed? I sighed and jumped down and slowly picked up the other end of the rope. Fine.

 When I picked up the rope I saw Tanya's eyes light up and a smile creep up on her lips, my heart fluttered for a moment, then I began to try and take it from her. And now, playing tug-of-war was one of our favorite things to do with one another.

 

I laughed as Minho growled some more and yanked the rope a few times. When we first started to play, it was easy for me to take it from him, but now, not so much. Its clear that he has gotten much stronger over the past month. I can't believe that tomorrow marks two months with him.... My mind drifted back to the day when I got him, how small he was and how-WHOA! 

Minho had ripped the rope out of my hands, sending me reeling backwards, flat onto my . 

I watched as Tanya fell backwards in a state of shock. Tanya?!

 I dropped the rope and ran over to her, wondering if she was okay.

 

I shook my head a little, Oooppss, I guess I got caught up in my thoughts again. I do that a lot....  I smiled to myself sheepishly and then saw that Minho was next to me, alert and looking worried. 

"Don't worry buddy, I just let go of the rope by accident. Guess you won this round huh?"  I ruffled the fur on his head a little and stood up. 

"How about we get some dinner? Mom isn't going to be home until later tonight so I can feed you now, and take you out for a walk later!"  I tell him while picking up his blue food bowl and bringing it over to the food supplies that was hidden in my closet. 

Tanya...Are you sure that you're okay? You have been out of it since....you woke up in the middle of the night from that nightmare..... I walked over to to where she stood, watching her pour food into my dish.   She scared the kimchi out of me when she woke up screaming. I didn't know what to do, or how to comfort her. I wanted to hold her and tell her that she was alright....But I couldn't. All I could do was snuggle closer to her and let her pet me to calm down..... At least I could do that much......  I let out a sigh, that probably sounded to Tanya like a gruffy bark since she looked at me and smiled.

"Yeesshhh, calm down, I'm almost done. I just have to put in some of the wet food then you can eat."  I say jokingly in response to impatient sounding bark. 

I layered on the goopy wet dog food and then put in on the floor for him to eat. Minho looked at me as if to say "Thanks." Before digging in, getting his tan muzzle covered in the dark gravy sauce from the food-again.

"I'll should invest in moist-towelettes I think for you Minny." Laughing even more when he looks up at me with an insulted expression. 

It's not my fault!! I'd be a lot cleaner if I had hands to eat with ms. opposable thumbs!"  I told her before taking another bite.

"Hahaha, I know I know, you don't mean it. I'll be right back to wash off the fork and to get myself some food."  I tell him with a pat on his head before walking out, making sure I closed the door behind me.

 

I walked into the living room to see my brother sitting on the couch with two bags of chips surrounding him. I scoffed, "THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS! YOU EAT EVERYTHING!!!"   I yell at him half-meaning it. 

I made it to the kitchen after avoiding being hit with a pillow, and started to look around for something to eat. 

Geeze, did he eat EVERYTHING? No wonder mom never takes him shopping with her.  I opened the fridge, remembering about my leftovers from the restaurant the night before. Leftover steak, here I come. I smile to myself while popping it into the microwave and began waiting two agonizing minutes.

I smiled at the thought of snuggling up wiht Minho to watch my-well I guess he likes it too since he always hops onto my lap when he hears the intro-favorite anime, "Nichijou".  

As I waited for the microwave to be done, my fingers searched for my ring on my right hand, to twist it around like always. After a few moments of stumbling around for it, I finally looked down and almost screamed. 

Where's my ring?!?! Oh my god!! My Ring!!!  I ran out of the kitchen and into the living room, leaving the forgotten food. 

"Sean!!!! I lost my ring!!!!!"   I tell him, loudly.  My brother looked at me with an annoyed expression and sighed. "Tanya, you constantly lose things. It's probably in your room or something."  


"No! Sean this is different! I've never lost this! I'm always wearing it! Even when I'm going to bed!! Please help me find it!"  

My brother just looked at me and waved me off. I let out numerous curses, some in English, some in Korean, letting him know how useless he is before I rushed to my room.

I was off the sauce from my mouth when Tanya came bursting through the door, looking frantic and ready to cry.  I jumped up and walked over to her, worried, and wondering what was wrong. 

I started to scramble around the room, looking under my bed, the dresser, around my nightstand, but it just wasn't there.  "Think Tanya! Where could it be?!"   I said with clear panic in my voice. 

I tried to remember where I was when I last saw it. "I was feeding Minho....."  A sinking feeling hit my stomach. 


Where could what be?! Tanya what are you looking for! 

I turned around, completely ignoring the whining dog at my feet.  The only thing that could have happened was that it slipped off when I was handling the wet- "Oh no! Oh no nononono!!!"  I ran over to my closet and looked around for the ring.  

It wasn't there, only making my anxiety hike up more. Oh my God, what if it slipped into Minho's food and he....ate it?  I looked at the worried golden and immediately felt like crying. 

"T-That ring was my grandmother's........"  A flat tear rolled down my cheek. I slid down to the ground and brought my knees to my chest.

Tanya? Tanya what's wrong? Why are you crying?!  I crawled over to her and put my paw on her foot, trying to get her attention.

I felt Minho pat my foot and my mood immediately turned sour.

"I don't want to see you! You-....."  I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "You....didn't mean to eat it..... I know that....."  I lower my voice and wipe my eyes. 

"There's no use blaming the dog...." 

I ate...your ring? I'm sorry... I didn't even see it in the bowl. If I did, I would have taken it out! I promise! I'm sorry Tanya!"  I stomped my paws around slightly and whined to let her know my guilt. 

"It's alright Minho... You didn't mean too. It was my fault for being so careless about it."  I give him a slight smile before standing up and lifting him into my arms. 

I leaned against her as she walked over to her bed. I didn't mean to eat it, really......

"come on, I'll go get my food, that's probably stone-cold and we can watch the next episode of "Nichijou". I tell him and place him o my bed and go back out to get my food. 

 

 When I came back, pleasantly surprised that lard- hadn't eaten my food, I saw that Minho was laying down, still looking guilty about the ring.

"Really Minho, it's okay.  You didn't mean too, it's fine. I'm not mad." 

 

How can you say that? It was your grandmothers. I know that if I ever lost the necklace that my mother gave me, I would practically die. You have a right to be mad...... 

I looked at the guilt ridden Minho and scratched behind his ears to try and make him feel better. Great now I feel bad because I yelled at him, and now he feels bad.

I my tv and started to flip to the anime channel when my phone began to ring. 

Huh? Who could want to talk to me at this hour? I picked up my phone and smiled, seeing that it was the girls. 

"Sorry Minny, it looks like our show will have to wait a little bit, its the girls." 

"Ello welcome to Taco-bell how may I take your order?"  I answered.

"You dork." 

"I would like a taco supreme please!" 

"Oy you losers. So Kala, why did you want to have a  group call? We only use group call when it's something important."

"Yeah, what did you learn another SHINee song on the piano?"  I snickered. 

"......Maybe...But that's not why... I have bigger news..." 

"Well spit it out girly."  

I sighed and looked at Leo who was cleaning his paws next to me on the bed. Hugging the pillow closer to me I took a deep breathe, ready to launch the mother load of bombs.   

"Guys you know Jake?"

"From StateFarm? Yeah! He wears the best khakis pants!"  

The girls and I burst out laughing at the joke.

"No, Jake from my Chem. Class."

"Oh him? Yeah why?" 

"well uh.....He kind of asked me out on a date...."  I said the last part quietly and shut my eyes, ready to hear their screaming. 

"WHAT?!"

"WHAT?!"

"WHAT?!"

My head shot up at her confession. Date? You have a date with someone.... For some reason my heart grew heavy at the thought of her sitting at a candle-lit table with another guy.... 

"Yeah....He uh... Well he kind of cornered me at the lab table and asked me out this Friday...."    Out of the corner of my eye I saw Leo sit up and look at me with his bright eyes.

 

"Well what did you say?" 

Please don't have said yes, please don't have said yes!

"I uh...Said yes. He's going to pick me up tomorrow here, and he said we are going to see a movie..."  I blushed a little.

How could you say yes! Do you even know this guy? Why haven't I heard you talk about him? I began to panic. 

"Do you like him?" 

"Yeah, like is he worth the trouble of getting all dolled up?"

"I don't know...I hope he is..." I shrugged over the phone. 

"Oh well, I'm sure you will have great time with him!"  

Seeing that Tanya wasn't paying attention to me, I jumped off the bed and walked over to my food and water bowls to get some water.

When I took a sip I saw something glitter behind the dog food canister.  huh? What's this shiny thing? I sniffed close to it and it smelled like a metal. 

Wait could that be...her ring?!  

"I hope I do. Anyways how are you guys?"  I ask as I pet Leo, oblivious to his shock.

"I could be better, I uh..lost my ring and I'm still thinking about my dream.."  Opps, didn't mean to mention that.

"Dream? What dream?" 

"Tanya, what's up? Are you having nightmares or something?"

"N-No, it's just I woke up last night from a scare in a dream. I felt bad because I scared the kibbles out of Minho." I looked to see that Minho was near his water bowl.

"Oh well, if you need to talk you know we are here."

"Yeah totally. Don't hold back."

"Yup."

"Oh crap! It's 6:30! I'm late for feeding Leo! No wonder he's been staring at me like I've lost my mind for the past few minutes. I got to go guys! I'll talk to you guys later!"

"Bye Kala."

"Wow nice job, forget to feed your pet!"

"Oh please Lizzy, if it weren't for me Jonghyun would starve because you forget all the time."

"He would not!"

"Would too!"

"Guys"

"I"m great at taking care of animals!" 

"Yeah right! We aren't allowed to have fish anymore for a reason!" 

"GUYS!!!" I yelled into the phone over their bickering.

"What?"

"I'm worried about Kala's date. I've heard that he can be a real ."

"Yeah, I've heard that too. I hope he's nice to her."

"Yeah. Well if he isn't we know what to do next!"

"Yup! I have the hiding place for his body all nice and ready!"  We laughed at the joke and said goodnight since they had to go eat. (Or feed the pets, I couldn't hear them over the fighting.)

I put my phone down and stretched. "Well, lets hope for the best on Kala's date."  I sighed and looked over at Minho.

"Minny? What are you doing?"  

I observed as Minho started to bat at something and push it towards me. 

"What are you...?" I got up and knelt down beside him and gasped. 

"MY RING!!! MINHO YOU FOUND IT!!!!" 

I picked up the ring and slid it onto my finger then picked him up and swung him around squeezing him close. 

No problem....I just wanted to see you happy again. please stop squeezing me so tight though Tanya! 


I laughed and kissed his head repeatedly while hugging him. "Thank you thank you!!! It must have slipped off when I was grabbing the dry food!! Thank you oh Thank you!!"  

I smiled at her, happy now that she was happy, and that I wouldn't have to worry about the outcome of swallowing a ring. I snuggled close to her as we sat down on her bed.

"Let's watch the next episode now huh?"  I smiled wide at my happy golden retriever and hit play. 

 

 

 

~A/N~

Hey guys! Hope you like this long chapter! I have officially made it to 16 subscribers and I just want to say THANK YOU!!! I LOVE YOU ALL FOR READING MY STORY!! I have also come up with the animals for the rest of the members! (With some help from nyokopuppet Thank you!) 

They are all cute and adorable! And will appear in the up coming chapters! Also! I want to know, which pairing do you guys like more? Tanya and Minho, Kala and Leo, Lizzy and Jonghyun or Ana and Taemin? (I promise to write more with the last two)  I'd love to hear what you guys think! Oh! And I am sorry about how confusing some of the poitn of views may be wiht all the switching. I am trying to work out other methods of how to write them without it confusing people. I have started to plan out the next couple of chapters, so I"m not totally brain dead when I write the next one!  Hope you guys like this chapter! Bye!