Return to me.

Finders-Keepers

"Minho goes in for a close shot, his number one opponent right on his tail! Will he make the shot?"   I narrate in my best sports announcers' voice I could as I watch Minho and Leo.

I watch as Minho uses his left paw to swat the ball into the make-shift goal post.  "GOOOOAAAALLLLL!!!!!"   I chant like they do at the Italian soccer games.   Minho jumps around with joy before I pick him up and dance with him. 

"Whoo! Go Minho! You're starting to catch up to Leo!"  I put Minho down and walk over to my chalk board where I was keeping track of the games. Leo was up by five games, but Minho was starting to win more games. 

Nice game Minho.  I tell him as I collapse on my bed, careful of Kala's necklace that was still fastened around my neck. 

Thanks Hyung. You played well too. That back kick was amazing-for a cat.  

Really? We are going to start calling each other names? 

Well we ARE cats and dogs. 

True. But this cat is bigger than you and has big claws. I lift up my paw and  exposed my claws. Minho scoffs and we laugh. 

Showoff. 

I look back at the two animals, happy that they are friends. I thought for sure that Leo was going to kill Minho the first day he was here. But now they are good friends, last night they even fell asleep on the bed together. 

I smile, remembering that I have to send Kala the picture I took of them sleeping. 

Speaking of which, Kala hasn't called yet. She usually calls by now. I hope everything is okay... 

I look at the clock. It  was Saturday night, so tomorrow Kala comes back to pick up Leo. She called yesterday to see how Leo was and as soon as Leo heard her voice, he got up from his pillow and walked over to where I was, listening to her voice. When I told her that he was standing next to me, listening she laughed, then started to tell Leo that she was okay and that she misses him. When we were done talking Leo just walked right back to his pillow and slept, but this time he seemed a little more content. 

"BARK!"   I jumped and saw Minho standing by the door, looking antsy.  "Oh! Right! Sorry Minho you have to do your business right?"  

I sighed, grateful that she finally noticed that I was standing by the door. Yes I do, badly. Can you please open the door now? I'm about to pee on the floor!

I rush to the door and swing it open, then Minho shoots out of the house like a bullet from a gun.  I don't think I've seen him run that fast...

I walk back to my room and straighten up the two laundry baskets so that they could be used as goals again. I glance at Leo who had his paw on the metal heart.   Poor thing...

When I was done straightening up the goals I walked over to where he was and sat down on the floor, ignoring the cracking of my back.

"Hey Leo, how're you doing?"  

Fine.  I looked at the little heart that laid in the middle of my paw. 

"You know Kala will be back tomorrow right? I'm sure she's super excited to see you!"  I say trying to cheer him up.

Kala's name made my heart thump a little faster. The past two days have been hard. I wasn't used to not seeing her, not sleeping with her, and I certainly wasn't used to feeling this alone. I couldn't deny it, I missed her. A lot. 

"You know... Kala cares A LOT about you. I can tell. She's always been very caring with animals, but with you... with you she's different. You make her so happy. She smiles a lot, she's laughing a lot more, and her eyes are brighter...." 

Kala makes me happy too. I feel like I'm human when I'm with her. Which means a lot when you're in this body. I can't stop thinking about her and I can't stop.... caring about her... 

"I've always been worried about what living in that house would do to her. She's very optimistic but even she has rough days. And that horrible woman there doesn't make it any easier. But you... get that don't you?"   I asked quietly. Leo lifted his head up to look me in the eye, and I knew instantly he understood what I was talking about. 

"Whenever I see you and Kala together it's clear that you want to protect her. That you care about her."

Of course I do. If it weren't for Kala, I would have ended up at a zoo. But she took me in, and gave me a place to stay. So of course I want to protect her. Whether it's protecting her from physical harm... or emotional. I remember the night she was stood up and how all I wanted to do was hug her close to me. 

"I probably sound crazy but I get the feeling that you are more than just a leopard. Like you know more than you lead on."  I stand up, hearing Minho barking outside of the door wanting to come back in.  "Well anyways, thank you for helping her. And for being there for her Leo. She really appreciates it."   

More than I lead on... Do you know that I'm human? No... It's impossible because then she would know that Minho is too. She would have said something by now. Besides, there's no way to know that we are human. It's not possible. She is right about one thing though... I care about Kala... I think I love her even... 

I became lost in my thoughts as Minho and Tanya came back into the room. It wasn't until Minho started to yell at me that he wanted another game that I came back to reality.    I need to stop day-dreaming... She's already on my mind enough as it is...

 

Minho and I played another game of soccer as Tanya watched us, doing her narration like usual.  Minho was starting to get cocky after I let him take the ball away from me for the second time. 

What's wrong hyung? Getting tired? 

What's wrong with Leo? I may not know a lot about soccer but I know he would never let Minho just take the ball like that... He must be distracted. "Hey Leoishi! Just think of something else! You can do it!"  I cheered.

Hey! Tanya! You're my cheerleader! Not his!  Hyung if you want to stop just say it! I don't mind winning again. 

I let out a growl and raced after him. I need to focus! I keep thinking of Kala... I'm getting distracted.  Suddenly a thought popped into my head that made me smile. I ran up on Minho, kicked the ball between his legs towards the other goal and ran after it. I could hear Minho running after me, but before he could stop me, I used all the force I had and smacked the ball into the basket. 

I froze in astonishment at what I jsut saw. Leo just made a complete turn around and scored a goal!  "Whoa! That was awesome Leo! I told you, you could do it!"   I smiled as my phone began to buzz. I picked it up and said hello.

How did you... I was so close to the goal... There's no way you could have... I looked at my hyung who was just swatting the tennis ball between his paws. 

I could feel Minho looking at me, and I'm not going to lie, it felt good that I wiped off his smirk. It was annoying me. 

Hyung what were you thinking about? 

I was about to respond but instead I just gave him a small smirk and went to lay down on my pillow. After he was done pestering me and I as safe to remember my encouraging thought, Kala popped into my head. The image of her on the sidelines of the soccer field, yelling my name with words of encouragement. Then running and kissing me when the game was won. The idea of her being with me when I'm human, when I'm back in Korea, the idea made me happy. It gave me something to hope for. Something I want now. 

The rest of the night was quiet mainly because Minho as still nursing his hurt ego. I smiled at my pupperoni who was now laying next to me on the bed, with his head on my leg.  I looked at Leo who was still lying on his pillow, dozing off as he stares at the tv.  He'll be better when Kala gets here tomorrow. I hope she's doing okay, she hasn't called today...

 

KALA'S POV 

 

"Okay, thank you doctor. I will...Yes Thank you...Should these pills help with any further issues with her breathing?.... Okay yes I understand, thank you.... Yes I will tell him..... I'll be leaving tomorrow and my cousin will be taking my place as care-taker. He is....27 I think. Anyways he will be the one taking over and he will call you tomorrow. Thank you. Please call me with any updates on her brain state please... Thank you. Good Night Doctor Kook-ie." 

I hung up the phone and walked into my grandmother's room to see my grandfather hunched over the chair next to her bed, holding her hand, fast asleep. I tried to smile at the heart breaking scene. 

"Pappi, you need to go to sleep." I gently nudge him awake and motion to the other side of the bed.

"Oh! Kala.. I-I... I was just resting my eyes. I'm perfectly fine." He straightened up and showed me a strong smile. My heart broke a little more when I saw him glance at his wife and the smile faltered. 

"Pappi, you need to sleep. You know how much you need it." I tell him once more as I lead him to the other side of the bed without anymore protests from him.

When I made it back to the guest bedroom I began to pack my bags, trying to keep myself occupied so that I don't think about everything. 

I wonder how Leo is doing.... I can't wait to see him tomorrow. I miss him.  I smile softly at the memory of my leopard sleeping soundly next to me. 

The happy memory melts slowly when I begin to think of my grandmother. I finish packing just before the tears start to stream down my face.  It feels like the room is shaking as I try to take deep breathes to stop crying but it's no use.

I sit on the bed and bring my knees to my chest, crying softly.  God I wish I had Leo with me, I never realized how dependent I had become on his comforting... 

"Kala!! Help!!!"  A voice from the other side of the door yells making me jump up.  What's wrong? Is something wrong with Grandma!? 

I jump off my bed and open the door, no longer in my grandparent's house.  Huh?  I look around and see that I was on the grounds of Eyre's. 

Suddenly a strong odor of smoke and burning wood hits me, making me cough. I turn around and to my horror see all of the buildings consumed in flames. 

I hear the cries of the animals and run into the main building without any hesitation.   "Joy?!"  I yell as I step cautiously over a fallen ceiling beam. The entire office was being destroyed by flames.  I looked to my left and saw that half the wall with all the file cabinets was in flames, and the structure of the building was getting weaker and weaker. 

I know I should get out of here before debris falls on me, but I can't. Something in my gut is saying that there are people in here.  I hear the cries again and pin-point them to the examination room. I jump over some furniture and manage to dodge some falling sheet-rock.  

I make it to the door only to find that there was something on the other side, blocking me from opening it.  I hear the cries again and my heart aches. I have to get them out. 

I ram my body against the door, ignoring the protesting pain in my arm and hip. I hit the door again and feel something give away on the other side. With another hit, the door gives way letting me into the room. 

All of the examination room was up in hot, angry flames. I cover my mouth with the collar of my shirt and squint to try and see where the cries were coming from.  I look to my far right, scanning over all the falling furniture and debris and see a small cage with various colors of fur.   Instantly I knew who they were.

"Guys! Don't worry I'm coming!"  I yell to them from across the room. I step over what used to be a chair and as I put my foot down, slid on fallen paper. 

"Ah!"  I try to steady my weight and catch myself just before falling backwards into flames.  I take a deep breathe and stop myself from screaming. The last thing I needed was to scare them anymore then they already were. 

I walk over more debris and get on my hands and knees to crawl under the fallen beam to get the cage. Even the usual cool tile floor was burning hot, it was becoming clear that time was running out.  Another piece of the wall fell over, close to where I was.

"Ah!" A sharp pain ripples through my leg when I move. I look and see that a broken piece of glass had lodged itself into my calf. I move my leg a little and tear up from the pain. I can't stop. I have to save them...

I bite back the screams and move again, finally making it out from under the beam. I crawl over to the cage and see three pairs of terrified eyes staring at me. 

"Don't worry guys, I'm going to get you out of here!"  I say as I grab the cage by the handle and start to pull it in front of me. Then I feel my heart stop. 

"Wait! Where's Leo?"  I count the pair of eyes again and see that theres only Ken, N and Hongbin. No Leo.  I have to find Leo! I can't leave him in here!   I start to panic and calling his name.  "Leo! Leo come here boy!! Where are you?!!"  I look around and say his name through coughs.

CRASH!!  "AAhh!!"  to my left, most of the ceiling had caved in, sending more debris and smoke flying.  I hear more cracking and look up to see that the ceiling above us was ready to fall any second. 

I grit my teeth and decide to get the others out and come back in for Leo.  I look around and see a only slightly burned blanket under some files. With a hard yank I pull it out and place it over the cage, wanting to keep out as much smoke as possible.  Then I pushed it forward under the beam as I followed on my hands and knees. 

With every movement I feel the glass going in deeper, but I keep moving. The same thought running through my head. I have to save them, I have to save them. 

Once I pushed them out from under the beam, I crawled out from under it and pulled the cage into my arms. I stand up with the cage and let out a groan of pain. I navigate through the room and make it to the door, with speed I didn't know I had. I push through the door and into the office and make a run for the door. 

I run out of the main door and when I get far enough from the door, nearly drop to the ground and cry. But I can't. Not until I find Leo. I place the cage a good distance away from the buildings and any trees that could possible catch on fire.   "I'll be right back guys, I'm going to get Leo."   I say with a huff.

As I run back to the main building, my mind becomes foggy with a familiar feeling of lightheadedness.   Forget him. Go back. Forget about Leo...  The voice I've heard in my dreams many times before, tells me like a whisper in the wind.  "N-No. I have to go and get him. I'm not leaving him."  I say with determination while I run a little faster to the building.

Forget about him. He never existed. 

N-No, that's not true. I have to get him out of there! I have to save my Leo! 

I open the main door and hear a loud cracking noise.  "AAHH!!!"  I fall back as the impact knocks me from the door.  

I look up from the ground and see that all of the building had caved in.  Oh my God. No!

I try to stand up to go in but then I hear a deafening explosion from the back of the main buildings. The fire had reached the gas tanks. 

My heart sank, and a pain I had never felt before coursed through my body. No amount of physical pain could ever be equivalent to the pain in my chest.  The Gut feeling I had that had told me that the guys were in the building, and that Leo was also in the building, told me that Leo was dead. My Leo... was dead. 

"NOO!!!!!"   I screamed in anger and hurt.  Smoke swirled around me as the fire engulfed the entry way, crawling closer to me.  

I began to sob uncontrollably as I felt the heat surround me, the proximity of it almost burning me. I opened my eyes and saw that thick black smoke accompanied by blinding bright flames were only a foot or so away from me.  

I cry harder and when I look up at the sky to get my last look at the stars, I see eyes.  His eyes. My Leopard's eyes. Leo's eyes. His light brown eyes searched mine and as though he was right beside me, I feel him whisper my name.  "Kala...."    

 

I wake up in a cold sweat, shaking with tears streaking my face.  I look around frantically, I'm in my grandmother's guest room still. It was all a dream. No one's hurt. Everyone's okay... I'm okay...  I pull back the blankets and look at my right leg. There was no glass, my leg was healthy and still pale as ever. 

As my heart rate returns to normal I look at the clock and see that it's 2 am. I guess I fell asleep from crying so much... figures I have a nightmare when I don't have my leopard to comfort me. 

I lay back down and roll onto my side. I see the stuffed tiger my grandmother has on the dresser next to the bed and without much I bring the faux furred animal close to me.  Now only if you purred and were my leopard...  I sigh and close my eyes, drifting off into a restless sleep. 

 

TANYA'S POV

I open my eyes and an immediate smile comes to my face, Kala's coming home today! Leo get's to see Kala!  I sit up and see Minho still fast asleep on my feet.  Figures he always sleeps where I can't move unless he wakes up.   

I sigh at my dog's tactics to try and make me stay in bed and I slip my feet out from under his heavy body.  Geeze you're packing on pounds Minnie, maybe I should lay off the treats with you...

When I stand up, I see Leo watching me with bright eyes and a bushing tails. Ha... joke...  I laugh to myself and walk over to him. 

"Hey Leo. I guess you remembered that she's coming home today too huh?" I ask as I scratch him behind the ear.  I giggle as he gives me a kind of nod and leans into the hand, indicating that the affection was welcomed. 

I do miss her. But Tanya, I'm worried. I could barely sleep last night, I think something's wrong with Kala. I could... feel it. Last night I dreamt of her calling my name... I swear I could hear it, but... I couldn't find her. Something's really wrong.  I lift up my head and look at Tanya with as much worry in my eyes as I could muster.   

I look down at Leo and realize what he's trying to tell me.  "Oh Leo...."  I pick him up and hug him.  Thank God Minho isn't up yet. 

"Aw Leo, don't worry. I'm sure she's fine. She's going to call soon I'm sure of it. Don't worry. If you want, I'll make sure to let you hear her when she- oh hold on that's my phone."  I stop mid sentence when I hear my ringtone exploding. 

"Oh Leo! It's Kala! See? I told you! Ow!!"  I feel Leo crawl up closer to my ear, his nails not being too gentle with my skin.   "Ow! Ow! Okay you can listen! Don't skin me!"   I slid the call button. 

"Hey Kala, how are you doing?"   I ask, trying to ignore the fuzzy head on the other side of the phone. 

"Uh, I'm okay. My cousin came early this morning, so I'm on my way back now. I should be there in a few hours. How is everything? Is Leo doing okay?"  

My heart races as I hear her voice. She even sounds tired. I knew she didn't sleep last night. God I wish I was there to comfort you Kala...  I move my head closer to the phone and my chest tightens when I hear her let out a shaky breath. 

"Yeah everything is great here. The boys have been playing soccer in my room. It's really cute. I took some videos so I'll send them to you later..... Kala are you sure you're alright? You sound really tired." 

"Yeah, I'm-I'm fine. Just... tired. That's all. Well I should get off the phone, there's cops everywhere on this road. Tell Leo that I'll be there soon and that... that I-... That I'll be home soon."    I bite my tongue, knowing that Tanya will think I'm crazy if I said it. 

"O-Okay. I'll see you soon then. Bye Kala."

Kala.....

"Later."  CLICK

I look at my phone, now worried like Leo.   "Okay, something defiantly isn't right with her. She never just hangs up like that. I wonder what it was she was going to say too... Oh well. Let's get some breakfast Leo."   I pocket my phone and set Leo down on the floor, and go to wake up Minho. 

It sounded like she was going to say... No, she wouldn't... I'm sure she cares about me but not that much... I shouldn't get my hopes up. Even if she did, it's as a pet. Nothing more.   I think gloomily. 

 

After Tanya feeds us, Minho and I play another couple of games of soccer, that I will admit were not my best games. After the fifth game, Minho comes over to my goal where I was drinking water. 

Yah! Hyung what's up? You're game play is way off today. I thought you'd be full of energy since Kala is coming to get you today! 

I guess I'm just eager for her to get here... I look at the clock and a rush of happiness hits me. She should be here in an hour or so. 

Whatever. Ready to have your kicked again me?   

I might as well do what I can to pass the hour. I stand up and shake my body, waking myself up.   Not going to hide. These last couple of games were free-bees.  I smirk.

Oh yeah? You're on! 

Bring it!  He rusn to his goal post and barks at Tanya who looks at us and smiles. 

 "Alright! Game six here we come!"  I set the ball on the tape line between the two animals and waiting five seconds before yelling "GO!"  

I watched as the tow animals batted the ball between the two of them as though it was a death match.   I really hope this isn't a death match. Kala would kill me for letting Leo and Minho get this competitive. Then again he does love his sports. 

I laid on my side and watched the game as though it was a perfectly normal thing. Before I knew it, I heard a car door slam. 

"Hey! That must be Kala!"  I say as I get up and head for the door.  I look at the animals who were still playing, barely noticing my absence. 

I walk outside and see a very tired looking Kala getting out of her car.  "Hey! How are you?"   I hug her when she gets close enough. I feel her lean against me, confirming that something wasn't right. 

"You have no idea how grateful I am to be home. I can't thank you enough for watching Leo."  I tell her when we part and walk into her house. 

"Oh it's no problem. He was a puuurrrfect angel."  I joke, hoping to make her smile. 

The pun takes a minute to register, and when it does I look at her with a smile. "I missed your puns." 

"Yash! One for the pun-master!"   She laughs again as we enter the room. 

I race against Minho and push him to the side, wanting to be able to shoot. 

Hey! That's traveling!

No it's not! It's called winning!

I shoot the ball into Minho's goal, winning the game. 

"Whoo! Go Leo!"

I freeze when I hear a voice I'd missed so much.  I turn around and see Kala sitting next to Tanya on the floor. 

Kala!!!! I run as fast as I can towards her, forgetting everything. Including that there was a goal post between us. 

I smile when I see my leopard dart towards me. Then I realize that with the speed he's going at, it looks like he won't be able to turn to avoid hitting the-

With a loud thud, I run face-first into the plastic laundry basket and fall with it to the floor. I open my eyes to see Kala looking at me with wide eyes and Tanya laughing uncontrollably while rolling on the floor. 

I pick up Leo and hug him close.  "Leo are you okay? You have to watch where you're going!"  I giggle a little, for the first time all weekend. 

Yeah, I'm okay. Just... really happy to see you Kala. I snuggled closer to her and inhaled her scent. I feel like an addict, whose body is finally calm since I'm around her again. 

 

I said goodbye to Tanya and Minho, and loaded Leo's things into the car. When it came to drive home, Leo seemed to be saying a sort of goodbye to Minho. I smiled, happy to see that they had become friends.  

"Alright Leo, ready to go home?" 

 You have no idea.

 "Alright let's go."  I smile and pull out of her driveway and drive home. The ride in a comfortable silence.

When we entered my room, Leo jumped from my arms to my bed and plopped down on his pillow. I was right behind him as I set my things down and laid down next to him. 

Kala?  I moved closer to her, feeling a wave of sadness hit her, much like it did the night she got the call about her grandmother. 

I watched Leo silently as he came closer and booped my nose with his. Before I could stop, my eyes began to water. I sat up, pulling Leo into my arms as I began to cry. 

K-Kala? What's wrong? I'm here jagiya...  I crawled up to her neck and began to purr soothingly. 

When the sound of Leo's purring hit my ears, I cried harder and hugged him closer, grateful that he was okay. 

"Oh Leo.... I had a horrible dream.... Eyre's was on fire and I got out the others but-.." I sobbed harder.

But what Jagiya?  I purred a little softer to be able to hear her. 

"But I couldn't find you. I called your name so many times, begging you to come out..... And that- that stupid! voice told me to forget you! But-But I couldn't! And then.... then I saw you... I saw you're eyes and that told me that you were gone...."   I sobbed without stopping, hiccuping between breathes. 

My heart gets caught in my throat.  She was calling me... Just like I heard.... Then that vision... of her surrounded by darkness.... Was I seeing her dream? 

I felt her pull my closer again and I pushed away the thoughts, focusing all of my thoughts on her and getting her to calm down.

 Leo's purring continues and I lay back down, him still nuzzling my neck.  I take deep breathes and listen to his purring, slowly falling asleep.

Don't worry Kala, I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. And neither are you.  Good night.  I lift my head and look at her sleeping face. Even with her cheeks wet and puffy from crying, she was still beautiful. I smile a little and get more comfortable before resting my head under her neck and sleeping with her. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A/N~

AAhhh!! I'm so so so so so so sorry for taking literally FOREVER to update. You would not believe the drama. Anyways, since I'm now off from school, I plan on writing more, and updating quicker. So I hope you guys like this chapter! It's really long, I hope it didn't bore anyone.  Things will start to pick up now, and all the exciting stuff will start to happen. Sorry if this chapter was a little dark, but don't worry more fluff is coming in the new chapters. 

 

Oh! And you all will not believe the gift I got!  Look what Nyokopuppet drew for the story!!  I absolutely adore it!! Thank you, Thank you , Thank you!! 

Anywhoos, thank you all for reading as always, and I am always grateful for feedback and new subscribers! (24 subscribers already wow!) 

See you guys in the next chapter!

-Xoxo Lian 2016%2B-%2B1