Figurering it all out.

Finders-Keepers

LEO'S And KALA'S POV

 

 After hearing Tanya tell me her story, I quickly texted Lizzy and Ana, telling them to come to the tree as fast as possible.  A few minutes later, the two girls came huffing over, protesting to having to run.

"Is there a reason you made us run from the third floor all the way out here? Are you guys okay?!" 

"Yeah, seriously are you okay Tanya?"   Tanya shook her head and beckoned them to sit down with us. 

Tanya told them about Minho, and the four of us, now huddled together, told our stories, Ana and I joining ours together. We agreed that the names, Leo, Taemin, Jonghyun, and Minho, was no coincidence. Someone purposely sent us the animals, with those names. But...who? 

When Lizzy and Ana had to go, and I had to catch the city bus to get to Eyre's, I agreed to pick up some food for the two dogs, the tiger, and my leopard. The girls gave me their money and I told them that until tomorrow that they should just feed the animals water and chicken or beef, unseasoned. 

On the bus ride was when I realized, that I had thought, my leopard. The girls only said "Minho", "Taemin" etc, but I had said, "My Leo."  What made me add the extra word of possession?  I know that he isn't mine. He's just.... a leopard.....he's just Leo....  I was deep in thought and almost missed my stop.  I walked through the gift shop area and headed straight for the food storage room. 

Puppy chow puppy chow.....Puppy chow! I exclaimed with joy and picked up ten cans.  Alright tiger cub chow.....Hmm....This should probably work for Leo too. I want to make sure I am giving him the right food though......Hmm.... I picked up the food we use to feed the tiger cubs here, and read for any possible side-effects about feeding it to a different kind of feline.

"Hey! There you are! I got your email! I see you are looking at the animal chow. Oh and the best chow for a leopard would be the...."  Joy started to look at the cans and glanced down to the one in my hand.  "The one you have in your hand! This is the chow that we feed to both tigers, lions and leopard cubs. It helps them gain strength and helps them get the vitamins they need."  She explained with chipper. 

"Oh great! Thank you! Yeah, I need to buy a few cans of this, and ten cans of puppy chow."  I smile sheepishly at the bucket full of dog food cans.  

Joy looked at the can's questioning me silently, but then shrugs. 

"Alright, here let me ring you up over at the counter, and then I can print out your schedule."  She smiles and I follow her to the checkout counter and I load up the cans, stacking them carefully. I smack my jean pockets to try and find which one has the money, in the back pocket. 

The total price came to $110.50, begrudgingly I added the owed amount to my paycheck, sighing that I was losing over $50. Oh well, they have to eat. 

I triple bag the cans and took the paper with my hours for the week. Before Joy could finally ask me the questions that have been running through her head, I rush out the door, not wanting to have to answer them. 

By the time I got home, my father was home and in the kitchen with my fire-breathing step mother. Uh-oh. It's never been a good thing when he's home early....time to hide and pretend I'm not here.  Avoiding slamming the door, I yelled a "I'm home" and ran up the stairs to my room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Leo, I'm home."  I announce while plopping the cans on my mattress. He wasn't where I had left him, expediently. I looked under my bed but he wasn't there.

"Leo?"   I looked in my closet, but he still was not to be found.  Oh my god, what if the reason my dad is home is because she found Leo, and she called him. What if Leo is down there right now, trying to get free, wondering where I am.... Oh God....what if he is already at a zoo? Or animal control  already has him?!? My breathe caught in my throat, and I began searching frantically around my room. 

"Leo?! Please...Please come out!"  I pleaded in whispers. My heart started to race more, as I still couldn't find him. He wasn't on, behind or in any of my dressers or bookcases....

Huh? Is Kala home?  I lifted my head up from my paws and saw as Kala started to frantically search around the room, calling my name. I"m here!!! On the desk chair!!!! Can she not see me? Why is she so worried? Is she alright?  I watched her for a few more moments and when I realized she wasn't going to see me, I clawed my way up to the top of the desk, collapsing top of the keyboard.

Oh God, please Leo....come out!! I need to find you!!

Kala!! I'm here!! Turn around!! 

Without thinking, I turned around to face my desk, to see Leo lying lazily on my computer keyboard.  "Leo!!"   I rushed over and picked him up, clutching him close to me and kissing his head repeatedly. 

"Thank God I found you!! You're safe!! But-...how did you get up there by yourself? Last night you couldn't make that jump!" 

Thanks for having faith in me. I think flatly to myself.  Please...stop squeezing me so hard, I like breathing.  I felt my fuzzy cheeks warm as her lips touched my head for the tenth time. The feeling from this morning, of being so relaxed and happy in her arms started to come back to me, and I snuggled into her shirt and hands.

"Leo, when I call you, please, please, please, jump down from where ever you are, and make sure I can find you. I almost had an anxiety attack because I couldn't find you!"   I cooed to the leopard softly, sitting down on my bed, still holding him close. 

Alright, I will. I'm sorry for scaring you.  He felt her body calm down, and he could tell that she was no longer anxious like before. He felt calmer now that she did.

After a minute of me scratching behind his ears and hearing him purr softly, I mentally face-palmed and remembered his food. 

"Oh Leo! Guess what? I got you the leopard food you need! It will help you get big and strong!"  I told him with excitement. The look I received back was less than thrilled.

What? Why? I'm a full grown man, I don't need any special food to grow big and strong! Can't you just keep feeding me table scraps? I'm fine with that.

I stood up and stood up on my hind-legs, leanign against her as I stared at her face. You will not give me the leopard food right? Please? 

I looked into his deep brown eyes and felt myself start to cave.  God damnit.

"N-No, Leo I know you don't like the idea, but you have to eat it. I want you to be healthy and strong. At least eat it for a week or two okay?"   I scratched his ear again and set the now grumpy leopard down.

"Let me go get you some fresh water and then you can try the new food okay?"  I pick up his new water bowl that I had quickly passed by back at Eyre's and filled it with fresh water. I took his new food bowl, and scooped out some of the wet meaty substance, plopping it into the dish. 

When I set it down in front of Leo, he stared at it  with loathing. 

I'm not eating this. 

"Leo, please just try it."

No. Do you see this stuff? I already have to eat out of cat bowls, I am NOT going to eat their food. 

"Leo, stop being a baby and at least try it. For all you know, it could taste great! All the other leopard cubs love it!" 

That's because it's the first form of meat they have ever had! I have eaten many different forms of meat, and I can tell you right now, I do not think this is a form of meat! 

"Leo...Please."

Kala, Please. 

"Ugh....Fine. You have another day of steak. But that's it! Tomorrow you will try this food, agreed?"  I caved and took the food, grabbing some tin-foil and covering it up.

Yes, thank you Kala.

I sighed and went downstairs to grab some more leftover steak and let him devour it within minutes.   It wasn't until we were both in bed, him resting on my lap as I pet him and read, that I realized, something.

I was communicating with him, as though we were having an actual conversation.....As though I could hear him. This meant that I was either A.) Crazier than I thought I was. B.) I CAN understand him, or C.) I AM crazy, but I am also understanding him. 

I was going for the ladder, that I was crazy. There is just no way that I could ever understand him. I can't understand my dog. I was just talking to him, responding to what I thought he would say. I do that with my dog.

Then again.... my dog deosn't give me expressions like Leo does. The expressions that look like he actaully comprehends what I'm telling him.....

I watched Kala as she pet me, her thoughts off in some other land. I want to talk to her, to know what her other land is like, I want to know her. 

I moved closer to her and purred, leaning into her hand. She seemed to come back to reality when I moved. I looked up at her with a tired expression.

"I guess we should head to bed huh Leo?"   I asked him when I saw that he was watching me. 

Yeah, that works. Goodnight Kala.

I pulled the covers up closer to me as Leo moved to my side. Making sure the blanket was over him like a warm tent, I turned off the light and laid down.

"Good Night Leo" 

 

~A/N

Hi guys!! Alright, I sound like a broken record, but I am sorry that it took me over a month to update! I've been busy with school work and college! 

Anyways, I hope you guys like it, sorry for the short chapter. And Next chapter, I promise promise will go into the villains' background. 

Hope you all have an awesome Thanksgiving!! I might be able to update over my break but we will see!! XD

xoxo-Lian.