Needles

Finders-Keepers

tumblr_inline_njs32jIVyu1rwd55s.gif

TWO WEEKS LATER.

 

"Ugh! Come on Leo! You have to go!! It's for your health!!" I grunted with exhaustion as I laid down on the floor.

No! I told you! I'm not going!!

"Leo! Come on!! You will get to see the guys!! I'm sure they miss you!"  I pleaded with him.  

I was now lying flat on my stomach having a staring contest with my leopard who was -somehow- hiding under my bed, to avoid being caught.

I don't care! They saw me two days ago! Kala I am not moving!!   

Today was the day I had been dreading for the past couple of weeks. My "vet" appointment. When Kala came back from school I immediately jumped from the bed and hid under her bed, squeezing my large build under the low bed frame.

"Leo please? I have to take you so that I know that you are nice and healthy! All animals have to go! Minho, Taemin, and Jonghyun went already! They came back fine!! Now come here!"   I swiped once more trying to reach him, but only succeeded in grasping at a few tuffs of fur.

 

What is with him and the doctor? He knows Joy! He likes her! Why is he giving me such a hard time?!  

I looked at Leo, who's eyes were large. He was crouched in the far corner of my bed, only a few inches out of reach for me.

 

I don't like needles, I don't like doctors, I don't like being poked and prodded. That's why I don't want to go. I have nothing against Joy, or my members, I just don't want to go. I don't need to go anyways! I am perfectly healthy! I would tell-well I would let you know somehow if I wasn't!  

 

Kala made another feeble attempt at trying to reach me, but luckily I was back far enough that she couldn't reach me.  

After a moment of looking at me she sighed and sat up on her knees.

 

"Ugh! You are always so corporative! Why now? I just-....... I just want....I  need to know that you are healthy.  I read an article the other week that if an animal who is meant to be outdoors, lives indoors too long, then they will lose weight, and eventually get very sick because their immune system that is made to protect against outside forces, can't fight against sicknesses that come from being inside so much....."

 

And the thought of you getting sick and possibly having to leave me makes me nervous and weak. So please, for my peace of mind and sanity -what I have left of it- let me take you to the vet Leo.....

 

You're that worried? Really?  

 

I thought about how much I care for her, and how I never want to see her sad. Especially after her horrid date with that jerk two weeks ago.  Feeling guilt build up inside of my chest, I shook my head and and squirmed my way out of the tight space.

 

I lifted my head when I heard nails scratching on the wood floor under my bed.  Soon I saw a large fluffy ball of fur trying to get out from under the bed.

 

"Oh Leo..."  I bit back some giggles when we both realized that he was stuck under the metal bed frame.

 

Aish! I got under okay! Why am I stuck now?! Especially when she's watching!

 I tried to push myself out with my front paws, I managed to get my behind out , but now my torso was stuck.

 

How? Did I really grow THAT much?! I was able to fit under here with ease when I first go there! ....Granted that was a few months ago, but still!

 

I giggled a little more when I saw that he was stuck, with his sticking out. His tail was thumping on the floor with irritation at my giggling and the situation.

 

"Alright Leo, hold on. I'll get you out."   I moved closer so that his back paws were against my knees and lifted up the bed.

 

Within seconds Leo tumbled out from under it and landed against my legs on his back, looking up at me.

Thanks...

"No problem, now let's go before Joy calls and asks if we got lost."   I said quickly standing up with Leo nestled in my arms.

Today my parents were out shopping for their trip that was in two days so I was able to walk out of the house with Leo in my arms, which we both appreciated.

 

At least I don't have to go back into the basket with the stuffed animals. I will admit though that the swaying motion that was made when she walked was soothing.

 

My head was resting in the crook of Kala's neck as she walked to Eyre's.  I always loved it when she held me. It feels like our heartbeats are beating in time, and that we both are calm. Nothing is bothering us.

 

It's times like this though, that I wished I was human. There have been numerous times when I wished that I could hold her. Where I could comfort her, whisper to her, and calm her down.  

 

I hate it when she wakes up in the middle of the night from a nightmare. Not because she wakes me up, but because all I can do is purr and let her hold me. I can't hug her and tell her that it will be okay, I feel....helpless.

 

I remember the conversation that Minho and I had last week. We were discussing how Tanya and Kala are having these nightmares that they insist are nothing, even though they wake up screaming.

We both feel helpless, like we can't do anything to stop the nightmares.

The last time Kala brought me with her to Tanya's,  Minho and I heard them agreeing that they never had such consistent nightmares like this ever. That it only started around the time we were delivered to them.

 

It makes me wonder, are her dreams connected to my arrival? But only in the past three months? She was fine before that….. What could have triggered it?

 

Before I could think more about it, Kala walked into the office and yelled a hello to Joy.

 

“Joy! We are here!! Sorry I'm a little late, we ran into a little snag.”  

I yelled to Joy who waved at me from the operation room.

 

I set Leo down on the observation table and pet his head.

I looked into his eyes that were back to his normal calm and bored brown.

He leaned into my hand as I scratched under his chin, and started to purr in content.

 

I would have never thought that getting my head scratched could be so comforting....

 

“Someone's a happy boy.”   Joy walked into the cute sight to see the large cat purring softly.

 

“Yeah…”  I laughed a little.

 

“So I haven't noticed anything wrong with him, but you know just do your thing.”  I explained, still petting Leo.

Joy nodded and looked and me expectantly. I looked at her with a smile, and she just kept giving me the same expectant look. Uhh.... Yes? What did I do? Why is she smiling at me like that? Is there something on my face? Then it hit me.

 

“Oh! Sorry! I'll go get on gloves!”  I walked over to the sink to wash my hands when Joy turned off the faucet.

“No, you can't be in here Kala. You know that. You are his owner, so naturally you have to wait outside like regular owners do. It's the rule.”   She crossed her arms and smiled calmly.

 

"Wh-what? But Joy it's me! And Yeah I know that I'm his owner but still! I-I- He's scared!"  I stuttered in shock and worry for Leo. 

 

Don't worry Kala, I'll be fine. I promise I'm not going anywhere.   I could hear the worry in her voice and my heart thumped a little harder with happiness that she cared so much. 

 

My throat became dry when Joy just nodded and patted my back. 

 

"Are you sure it's not YOU whose scared Kala? You know he will be fine, I won't let anything happen to him. If I find anything I will get you immediately okay? Why don't you go check up on the newbies? I'm sure they would love to see you!"    Joy pushed Kala out of the door and when she saw that Kala had given up and was walking out to the main grounds she turned back to the leopard. 

 

Don't worry Leo, I'll come running if you need me.  I sighed and walked over to the three new habitats where N, Hongbin and Ken were being held. 

 

N's was a fenced in lawn with a big dog house that was filled with his food bowl and water, along with a bunch of extra blankets I had. 

Hongbin's was covered in rocks, trees and grass. He had a lot of room to run and climb and he was able to create (with the help of Joy and myself) a little nest for himself, where he now sleeps with my old sweater, since he didn't want to give it back last week. 

Ken's was filled with trees, a little river and tones of bamboo trees where we found him most of the times. He loved to be held, and I also found Alex either inside talking to him or talking to him through the fence.

 

When I reached N's fence he was lying on the ground batting around a soccer ball. 

 

Kala!!! You're here!! Come play with me!! Please!! I want to play with someone!! No one has played with me today!!    

As soon as I saw Kala outside of the fence I dropped the ball and ran out towards her smiling face.

 


"Hi N!! How are you boy? You look happy and energetic as usual!"  I laughed and poked his nose playfully through the fence.  

Yah! Where Taekwoon-shi? He's with you right? Wait! Can you please come in and give me some attention? I want to play!!  I feel like I haven't had interaction with anyone in days!!

 

I laughed more as the hyper dog started to bark wildly and loud.    

"Alright Alright! I'll come back and play with you, but first I have to check in on the other two okay? I promise I'll come back."  I reassured the puppy who just looked at me with a sad expression.

 

"Oh No! I know exactly what you are trying to do, but it won't work. Leo is bad enough, I don't need another animal being able to push me around by looking at me."  I raised my arms up in an "I'm so done"  motion and walked over to Ken's habitat.

 

I used my key to walk into his habitat and started to look in the trees for him. 

Hmmm I guess Alex took off today, she would usually be here by now...

I ducked under the long tree limbs and finally found the sleepy panda up in the tree by the corner, munching on some leafs. 

 

I approached him and waved at him.    "Hey Ken! How are you doing?"  

Hi Kala! I'm good!! Relaxing. Is Taekwoon Hyung with you? I was hoping we could see him today!   I took another bite of the leaf in my hand but dropped it when I saw Kala offer my her arm. 

 

Without hesitation I crawled into her arms and let her check my ears and paws.

 

"Leo is here, but he is getting checked up by Joy right now, so I figured I would check on you guys. I'm sure you guys aren't too lonely, especially since Alex is here now."  I smiled and set him back on the tree and handed him a little yogurt snack that he loves.

 

Oh I see.  OH! yogurt! Thank you!! I'll see you later Kala!! Tell Leo I said Hi! I smiled at her as she left and went back to eating. 

 

Speaking of Alex...where is she? She hasn't come in yet... I hope I can see her today...

 

 

 

"Alright Leo, time to see how Kala has been feeding you!"  She smiled and pet the feline's head. 

She's been feeding me regularly and now she will sometimes give me little pieces of steak. I feel healthy, and very relaxed. Something I haven't felt in a while actually.    I mentally responded to Joy, even though she couldn't hear me. 

Joy ran her hands over my legs, testing out my flexibility and seeing the muscles. 

 

"Wow, with these claws you really could be her protector."  Joy laughed after examining the leopard's claws.

"Now let's see how much you weigh, and that way we can see how old you are."   

 

I'm 26, born on November 11th in 1990.

Joy picked me up and placed me on a steel scale, I sat down and looked at the scale screen trying to read the numbers.

 


"Congrats! You are a whopping 35 pounds! I'm surprised Kala was able to carry you all the way here! You are quite the growing boy!."   Joy talked as she wrote down the numbers on his file.

 

Is that a good weight for me? I don't know how much weight that is to a human body...

 

"You know, ever since Kala found you, she seems to be a lot happier. I don't know what her home-life is like, but I do know that  since you arrived she has been smiling a lot more. And That's because of you!"   She booped Leo's pink nose with her finger gently.

 


Kala? I've made her happier? Huh.... I would have said it's the other way around. Ever since I've been here I've wanted to laugh and smile more. Granted I don't, but I feel.....happier. She understands me somehow... like we are connected in some way....  

 

My heart started to beat a little faster as I thought of her.  When Joy started to listen to my heart, it must have still been beating quickly because she looked at me with worry. 

 

"Hey.. Are you okay buddy? Should I get Kala? Maybe she was right, you really are scared...."   After a moment Joy pulled out her phone and sent Kala a message to come back to the office. 

 

 

I shut the door behind me and locked it, then headed next door to Hongbin's habitat. 

Ever since the first incident, we both have been cautious around one another, but he has learned to trust me in the past couple of weeks. 

 

Two days ago I was playing with N and Ken (Leo was napping next to me) and Hongbin came over and started to tug at the sweatshirt sleeve that was wrapped around my waist.  I got worried and tried to get loose, so I tried to take it out of his mouth, then I realized he was playing. Soon N joined in, tugging the other sleeve. 

 

Within five minutes of me struggling to hold on to the cloth, they both had tugged off my sweatshirt and were playing tug of war with it. I gave up trying to get it back and just sat next to Leo who just gave me a look that said "Just let them go, they will tire eventually-trust me." 

When it was time to go, I tired to get it back from Hongbin but he just walked into his nest with it. 

"Well there goes THAT sweatshirt."  I sighed with Joy laughing behind me.

 

I smiled at the memory and stood in front of the gate to Hongbin's habitat, trying to see him.   Wow, it's true, all cats do like to sun bathe.

 

I giggled at the sight of Hongbin sprawled out in the sunny patch on the rock.   He looks like a very large and fluffy house cat.  

 

I opened the door and carefully made my way over to the rock with a handful of treats.  Yes, I'm bribing him, but hey, what is having some treats at hand going to  hurt?

 

I stood a good distance away from him and let him open his eyes so that I wouldn't scare him. 

With those claws, scaring this kitty is a very, VERY bad idea.....

 

Slowly the pallas cat opened his eyes and blinked at me.   "Hey Bean, what's up?"   I asked softly with a calm smile.

 

Hey Kala..... Ugghh I'm so tired...  I stretched out my paws and back then sat up.  When I was finally fully awake I looked at Kala who was just standing and watching me.  

 

You can sit next to me, I won't hurt you.    I looked at her trying to tell her like that, but figured she wouldn't get it, so I just started to clean my paws. 

 

When I saw that he was fully awake and calm, I moved closer and offered him my hand to smell.  Hongbin looked at it and then went back to cleaning his paw.  I'll take that as a yes.  

 

I hoisted myself up onto the rock next to him.  I won't lie, I was a little nervous, but all he did was start to sniff my pocket. then my hand.

 

After a minute of him actively searching and sniffing me, I remembered what he was smelling. 

 

"Oh! Your treats! Sorry! You must have been thinking I was teasing you. Here you go."  I took out the little baggie that I put the treats in and took two out.

 

I was about to put them on the rock at his feet when I got a good idea. A very stupid, but good idea

 

I placed the two treats in my hand and held it out in front of him on the rock.   

I looked at her outstretched hand, then at her, and then back at the hand.     Is this some kind of test? To eat or not to eat? 

"It's okay Hongbin, you can take them."  

I looked back at her and saw that she was obviously nervous. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. She's probably thinking "please don't bite me, please don't bite me."  I wish she would understand that I'm not going to hurt her.

 

I leaned down to her hand slowly, not wanting to scare her.

Please don't eat me, please don't eat me....

 

Hongbin gently took the treat out of my hand and munched away.    Hey... He trusts me....

 

When he bent down to grab the other one, his rough tongue rushed over my palm, tickling me. I tried to contain it, but I couldn't so I burst out giggling and squirmed. 

 

Hmm? What are you giggling at?   I had just taken the treat when she started to giggle. Oh... Maybe it was because I her palm when I was getting the treat.     I smiled at the cuteness of her trying not to move, and then I go tan idea. 

 

I moved back to her hand and sniffed it, then it.  Just as I hoped, she burst out laughing and took her hand away.

 

"Hongbin stop!! That tickles!!"  I pulled my hand back in shock while whipping away the salvia. 

Why do you think 'm doing it? I want to make you laugh! I want to show you that you don't have to worry! 

Hongbin moved closer to try and my other hand but I scooted away.  "Hongbin!!"  I said while laughing and moving farther away from him.

I'm not stopping!   I followed her as she moved back and then rubbed against her arm.

 

"Yuck! You got drool all over me!!"  I whined while whipping my hand once again.

Would you have preferred me taking nips at you?   I sat down next to her and looked up at her, resting my head on her knee.

 

I smiled down at him, happy to see that he was happy and not ready to eat me.    "Thanks for not eating me. Oh and can I get my sweater back now?"   I asked him.

 

I stood up and stretched once more before jumping of the rock and going into my nest, then collapsing right on top of her blue sweater.  Nope.

 

"Right, okay, I'll take that as a no."  I clapped my hands and jumped off the rock and my phone buzzed. 

"Can you come to the office?"   Oh no! Could something be wrong? I need to go! 

"Alright Hongbin, keep the sweater! I will get it back eventually though!"  I shook my fist at him playfully and gave him a wave goodbye then locked the door behind me then ran all the way to the office.

 

I stared at the leopard and just smiled.  "Don't worry Leo, I'm sure she's probably running over here."  

Within two minutes Kala came bursting through the door. 

 

"LEO?! JOY?!"   I ran over to here Leo was and picked him up.  "Are you okay Leo?! Joy is there anything wrong with him?!" 

Kala! I'm fine! I don't know why she called you here! I'm fine really!   I looked at her eyes and saw the worry. 

 

Kala, listen to me, I am fine. Really.   

 

I looked Leo up and down and took a deep breathe.  "You're.... Okay..."  I turned to Joy, "Why did you text me if he's fine? I thought you found something bad! I got so worried!"  I placed Leo down and pet his head.

 

"Kala...did you run all the way here? I made a joke telling Leo that you were running here, I didn't actually think you were! But yes! I called you over here because I need you to hold I need you to hold him while I administer the shot.”   Joy explained slowly, still in shock by her actions.

 

Shot? Oh no. Kala please, Please don’t make me do this!

 

“Joy does he really need a shot? You even said he was fine!”  I argued.

 

“Yes Kala, he needs his shots. I at least need to give him the distemper shot. I can’t have him bitting you.”  

 

I would never bite her! She knows that!

 

I looked down at Leo who kept looking between Joy and I. He clearly knew what was happening-and was not liking it.

 

“I’m sorry Leo….”  I apologized before I picked him up and held him tight.

 

Ugghh….. I know Kala…..

 

When Joy came back with the two needles I felt Leo dig his claws into my arm a little, almost out of fear.  

 

“Don’t worry Leo, I’m here. Nothing is going to happen. It’s going to be really quick I promise.”  I brought him closer to my neck where he moved eagerly to his normal spot.

 

“Ready Leo”  Joy asked when she grabbed his back leg.  

 

Just get it over with….

 

Biting my lip, I watched Joy insert the needle and inject the rabies vaccination. At the same time I felt Leo’s claws twitch on my skin.  I hugged him tighter and began to kiss his head to try and distract him.

 

I cringed when I felt the needle pinch my skin, I also felt Kala tense up as well. Soon I felt soft kisses on the side of my head from Kala, making my heart thump louder.

 

Joy pulled out the second needle and took the other leg. I began to kiss his head again, and she gave him the last shot.

Despite the shots, I don't mind the kisses...

“There! All done! See? Quick and painless.”

 

Easy for you to say.

Easy for you to say.

 

I sighed and kissed Leo’s head once again.   At least that’s over with. Hopefully he won’t hate me too much….

 

Ow… Please take me home so that I can sleep now….There's now certain parts of my body that are in pain. I need to sleep.

 

“Hey Joy is that all? I want to get Leo home before it starts to get dark.”   We also have another episode of Moorim High to watch….

 

“Yeah! Of course!-Oh! Wait! Before You do, can you just run out to the storage shed and grab a couple more bottles of antiseptic? While you do I will finish checking out Leo.”

 

“Yeah sure.”  I nodded, “I’ll be right back, then we can go home. Sound good?”  I whispered to Leo while setting him back on the table.

 

Okay..

 

I head out of the office and back out into the warm air. The sun was just starting to set, creating light hues of pinks, reds and oranges. I turned the corner and started to hum softly as I thought of things to do when I got home with Leo.

 

I should get some meat out for Leo. He deserves it after today...He was really good.


 

“Shinwha?”   

 

I turned around at the voice of an older man.  When I turned I saw the figure of a man. The sun was behind him, so I couldn’t make out the details of his face.

 

After seeing my face better, the man stepped closer and that was when I saw his face.

He looked like he was in his late fifties, he also looked to be Korean. He was wearing a dark gray suit that looked freshly pressed and tailored. He looked like he owned a business. He looked like he had power.


“Excuse me?”  I asked.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A/N`~   

Hey guys! So this was a kind of short, kind of long chapter! Sorry if it , it was mainly filler because I'm just dying to get to the future chapter!! I have so many good ideas! But I can't rush things too much! Speaking of rushed, sorry if this was. So I am super excited because my best friend is making a trailer for the story!! She is super great at animation and drawing so I am very excited to see her badass skills with this. 

 

So what do you guys think will happen next?  Hopefully I can update again this weekend! But No promises!! Also thanks once again for reading! I hope you guys still like it!  Also that I didn't put you to sleep! 

932a6c5e40e77e87782c1d5f551577a2.jpg