Home

Finders-Keepers

"Excuse me?"  I repeated as the the older man just stared at me with an amazed expression. 

"ShinHwa...."   The man repeated the name and his facial expression fell a little. His head jerked up and his back straightened. 

"I-I'm sorry... I did not mean to startle you. I-...You just remind me of someone I knew a long time ago. For a second I-..."

"You thought I was her."  I confirmed. The man looked up and gave me a small smile.  His English was almost as fluent as mine and all traces of a foreign accent was no where to be heard. He sounded as though he could have been living here all his life. 

"Yes... Exactly."  He nodded and bunched his hands together in a tight fist. 

I gave him a smile and slight bow then turned to leave and head over to the shed.

"Uh- Excuse me miss! Can you please help me?"  SooMan stuttered a little, and reached out his hand to stop her.  Maybe she can help me since my men are absolute idiots!   He hid away his anger when the young girl turned around. 

"Oh of course! What can I help you with?"  No wonder he looks so lost. 

"Please, if you can. Tell me where the nearest bus station is? I was driven here by a taxi to look for-at-the animals. And he apparently drove away so I am ride-less and need to find a bus to my hotel."    I need to be more careful with my words! The less people involved the better and easier this will be.

"Oh sure. So you walk straight out of here, take a left, walk straight and when you reach the fork in the road, go right. Keep walking and you will find the bus station which has a list of buses and where they take you."  I indicated the directions as I pointed in the direction. 

"Ah, Thank you, Thank you very much."  He bowed at the girl and walked like the wind was chasing after him. Passing right by the animals he was looking for. 

I watched the man leave and just shrugged before rushing back to the shed and bringing back the antiseptic. That was....weird.

 

When Kala and I got back to the house, I jumped out of her arms and down onto my pillow where I happily face-planted into the softness.

 

I let out a laugh when I saw the immediate relief on Leo's face as he laid down.   "Well someone's happy to be home."  

You have no idea....  I rolled over onto my side and needles of pain jolted me.   Ah!

I was taking off my sneakers when I heard my quiet leopard let out a painful yelp.  "Leo?"  I rushed over to him to see him his leg where the needle was inserted.

"Aww Leo...."   My heart sunk a little at the sight. A little (okay yeah not really little anymore.) ball of fur with big, heart melting eyes that looked so pitiful and heart wrenching. Sitting on a pillow his wound.  How could I NOT feel bad about this?! 

"I'm sorry Leo.... I know you didn't want to go. I didn't think it would hurt so much for you afterwards."

I know.

"Please don't be upset at me, it was for your health."   I rung my hands around one another nervously as I watched him settle back down and carefully try different positions to lay down in. 

I know.

"To make up for the pain you get a nice big piece of steak okay? Let me go get it now."  I offered him a smile and pet his head to try and sooth the pain. 

Okay...    I pushed my head against her hand, trying to show her that i wasn't mad at her.

I smiled at his jester and then raced down stairs, grabbing the steak and turning on the stove to cook it.   Dad hasn't asked too many questions about all my weird "craving" food, like steak.  Knowing him, he probably thinks that its because of "lady parts issues."  I rolled my eyes, thinking back to my father's childish approach to the subject of my body. 

I poured some olive oil on the pan and then placed the thick slices of steak on the searing metal. 

I wonder who that man was. Did he honestly think that I looked like someone he knew? He must be from Korea judging by the name he called me.  Which makes it even more particular that he called me that since I so don't look Korean.  You can tell that I'm from Scotland a mile away with the curls in my hair and my eye color. 

I flipped over the slices and stretched my back out as I waited, hearing several cracks in the process.   That can't be good.  

When the meat was nice and cooked through, (I found that Leo likes his meat cooked Medium-rare) I put it on a plate, grabbed an slice of cold pizza for myself and headed back upstairs.

 

I was laying on my other side facing the bookcase when Kala came back with my food. The smell alone made my senses perk up, and my stomach growl. 

I sat up and moved over to let Kala sit down. I stared at the meat, practically drooling. The pain forgotten.

Leo's eyes were transfixed upon the meat making me laugh. I moved the plate to the left a little and his eyes followed it.  I moved it to the right and they followed right after. 

"Alright, alright go ahead. Before you attack my hand."  I joked.

I bent down to eat and stopped abruptly.     Kala that's not funny.   I stared at her in shock that she would joke like that. I know that I would never dream of hurting her, but I still know that I AM a dangerous animal, capable of hurting her. 

 

Leo looked at me with a serious expression, clearly not finding my joke amusing.  

"Okay, not funny. Fine, I'm sorry. Now eat! You must be starving!"   I poked one slice closer to his mouth and he finally bent down and took it-but not before giving my finger a kiss.

"Ah! Leo! I've got enough kisses today from animals!"  I pulled my hand back and hollered at the leopard who pretended that nothing happened. 

"Aish. First Hongbin, now you. I need feline repellent I think."  I mumbled as I took a bite of my pizza.

You wouldn'-WAIT WHAT KISSES FROM HONGBIN?!    The bite of meat I had taken now tasted sour, and my anger started to rise inside of me. 

Leo once again stopped eating and looked at me, this time with displeasure.  

"What? You're staring at me like a teacher does when I'm not paying attention!"  

Kala what happened? Why did  Hongbin kiss you?! 

"Is about Hongbin? If it is, then all that happened was that I was feeding him treats and when he reached for them, he me. It tickled, and then he did it again to make me laugh. That was it."  

WHAT?!?! The next time I see him I will make sure he never kisses you again! 

My words obviously did nothing to calm him as I saw his fur start to prickle up. 

"Leo! Calm down! It was nothing I'm just glad that he trusts me now! Relax!"  I put my hand on his back, and he slowly sat back down.

"Geeze, not need to get your fur in a bunch."

It's Hongbin! He's known for being a ladies' man how can I not worry? You are... Nevermind.  I inhaled deeply and stopped the rest of my thought.  

"Mmmhhmm. Just eat before it gets cold okay?"  I pet his head again and finished my crust just as my phone rang. 

  "Hello?"   

I swallowed the last of my steak when Kala picked up her phone. After a few seconds of her listening to the caller, my body felt an intense wave of anxiety consume it. It was coming from Kala.  

"WHAT?! Oh my god! Is she okay? Where was Grandpa?! What about John?! He was supposed to be there to help them!"  

Kala? What's wrong? Is someone hurt!?

My hands started to shake as I listened to my father's instructions. I was to get the car, and drive down immediately since they were now away and couldn't go down themselves. 

"O-Okay... I'll call you when I'm on my way. Tell Grandpa that I'm coming."

I hung up just in time before sobs erupted from my throat. 

Kala! What's wrong! Talk to me! Where do you have to go?!

My heart was thudding loudly in my ears, I couldn't breathe it was like when I wake up from the nightmares. 

My grandmother had a .... she's in critical condition. I need to go down there.....I need to get ready! 

I stood up on wobbling legs and steadied myself and then pulled out my suitcase and started to throw random clothes into it,.

 I need to call Lizzy and Ana and cancel the plans for this weekend. and I -  I looked back at Leo who was watching me with concerned eyes. 

"Oh My god! What am I going to do with Leo? I definatly can't bring him with me!"  I gasped outwardly. 

What? No of course you can bring me with you!! I am going with you Kala!  I began to panic, not understanding anything that she was saying except that she couldn't bring m with her. 

"No no no no. I would have to be insane to bring him with me. I don't need to give my grandmother another ."  I ran my hand through my hair.     Who can I trust enough to care for him...?

"Tanya!!"  I snapped my finger and stumbled with my phone to call her.

What about Tanya? Kala you are NOT leaving me with Tanya. I am coming with you!

"Minnie! Let go!!  I need this!!"   I pulled tightly on my algebra homework.

"No one will believe me when I say that you ate it!! Come on le-"   The ringtone "Juliette" By SHINee starts blasting from my phone. 

"Ello?"

"Tanya? My Grandmother had a , so I have to drive down there today, but I need you to please, please, please, watch Leo for me! I'll pay for the cost!!"

"Whoa! Kala! I'm so sorry! Of course I'll watch him! Bring him over!"  

"Thank you so much! I will be over soon!"  

After Kala hung up I stared at my screen that was Kala's contact photo, which happened to be her and Leo. 

   Tanya? Is everything alright? Did something happen with Kala?   I let go of the now slightly soggy paper and look at Tanya for answers. 

"Her Grandmother had a ... I'm going to watch Leo for her."  I say absentmindedly as I stand up.

Oh No, that's horrib-Wait YOU are? Tanya, have you forgotten that you already have me to take care of?    I sat up and tried to get her to look at me by whining.

"Awe Minnie, I know it's sad but theres no need for you to whine about it. I'm sure her grandmother will be fine."  I tried to pet his head but he gave me a "Really?" look and turned away

I should probably start to clear a space for Leo to sleep. Minho already sleeps on my bed so I'll give Leo some extra blankets to sleep on. 

I got off my bed and walked over to my closet and pulled down three fluffy blankets and set them in a neat pile on the floor. 

Wow that pile is huge! I jumped off the bed and raced to the mountain of blankets, then jumped right in the middle of them. 

I crossed my arms and just watched as Minho rolled around in the pile of blankets.  

 "Geeze Minho, you sure did DOG-pile into those."  I snickered.

Oh My God, Tanya. Enough with the puns. 

"What? Nothing? Hmm tough crowd, I guess I'm BARKING-up the wrong tree."  I made the shooting motion with my thumb and index finger at Minho who looked like he was ready to die.

Oh Lord. 

I sighed and straightened up the pile and made space next to Minho's food for Leo's.  Well at least Minho won't be lonely anymore. 

"Tanya?"  

"Oh! They're here! Minho! Get off of Leo's bed!!"  I flung open my door and was greeted by Kala who was holding a very unhappy looking Leo. 

Kala's face instantly showed how stressed and anxious was. Leo just looked like he was imitating the famous GrumpyCat.

"Oh My God, I can't thank you enough for saying yes! I'm so sorry that it's so last minute. I didn't know who else to call. Eyre's has no room for Leo, and Lizzy is going away, so Ana is watching Taemin and Jognhyun so I didn't want to add another animal to her load. Also you and Leo get along really well!"  

Kala was sputtering out her words breathlessly as she paced around my room, still holding Leo close to her. 

"Whoa, whoa, calm down Kala. You're okay, everything is going to be fine. Just come and sit down for a moment, you look like you are about to break down in hysterics and it's scaring me."   

I pulled Kala and Leo over to my bed and sat them down.  Kala became silent and just hugged Leo close. I then saw tears trickle down her cheeks. 

"Tanya.. I don't know what I'm going to do. I have to drive down tonight and hope that I get there in enough time. My dad said that she's in critical condition.... Also there's Leo who hasn't been away from me for more than seven hours when I'm at school! And now to be away from me, for me to be away from him I-I-I-"   

I could feel my heart break. It was rare that I ever saw Kala this worked up, but it did happen.   

I moved closer to her and hugged her, telling her that everything will be okay and that Leo will be fine. 

"Leo will be safe here with Minho and I, and you will be able to drive down there in no time. Now come on, tell me what times Leo eats."  I tried to get her to talk about Leo so that she would calm down, sure enough it worked. 

"H-He eats whenever in the morning. I always leave his food down when I'm at school. And then he eats at 6:30 sometimes six depending on what I'm doing.  I always leave the water down for him, and I change his box every day. I brought over enough food and litter to last the weekend. I will be back on Sunday."  

Kala wiped her eyes and her grip on Leo lessened.  

"Alright good. Well I gave Leo a bunch of blankets to sleep on over there, and I will set up his litter box across the room."  I glanced at the pile of blankets and glared at Minho who was still on top of them. I used my eyes to tell him to get off of them by glancing from him to the floor. All he did was bury down deeper. 

"You little!-"

"What?"  

Kala looked up confused at me.   Touche Minho. 

"Oh nothing. Hey Kala it's getting late, I think you should get going before it gets really dark."  I looked out the window at the sun that was starting to set. 

"Yeah, you're right."   I pulled Leo from the crook in my neck and looked at him, instantly regretting it. 

"I'm sorry Leo. You've had a really tough day today.."

Kala...

"But I need you to be good for Tanya okay? It's only for three days."

Take me with you.

"Believe me, I would take you with me if I could but I can't."   I bit my lip and then thought of something.  I set Leo down and reached behind my neck and unclasped my heart charm. I re-hooked it and placed it around Leo's neck.

"This is so that you know that I'm coming back for you . And that you will always have a home as long as you have me."  I leaned down and kissed his head.,

Kala I-... Please come back soon.  My heart thumped loudly at her words.  A home..... she is my home...   she always will be now.  I looked down at the gold charm that stood out against my fur.

"I will Leo-shi." I smiled and kissed his head again and giggled when he kissed my nose. 

I watched the cute scene and smiled l, happy to see that Kala was feeling better. 

"Hey! Leo-shi? ....LEOSHI!!! LIKE THE MARIO CHARACTER!!!"  I laughed and started to chant Leo's new nickname. 

   "Oh yeah haha... that's cute."  

 Oh boy. A new nickname. Yay.  I thought blandly. I liked it when Kala called me that because if was like she was addressing me in Korean. 

 

"Alright then. I'm of-WAIT! I almost forgot!! I'll be right back!!"  

With that Kala ran out of the house to her car. When she came back huffing and puffing she pulled out her pillow and sat it next to Leo.

"I know you won't like having to sleep on the floor so you can use my pillow. It's bigger than yours, so it might be more comfortable for you."  

Kala.... Thank you...  I put my paws on her pillow to show her that I accept it.   

I sniffled. It was touching to see how they seem to communicate just by looking at one another.

"Okay! Kala you have to get going before it gets dark and before I start to cry!"


"Yeah You're right I need to get going before rush-hour traffic starts. Alright Leo."   I looked down at my feline who's eyes shined brightly at me.  "I will be back soon okay? Please be good for Tanya and don't fight with Minho."  I scratched his ear and gave him a  final kiss then walked out with Tanya.

 

I felt my heart becoming heavier and heavier with every step Kala took away from me. Please please come back soon Kala. 

Well THIS is going to be fun. 

I rolled my eyes.  Hello Minho.

Hey what's with the informal greeting? 

I'm older than you! If anything you should be the one showing me a formal greeting!  I walked over to the large pile of blankets where Minho was still laying. 

That's my bed.   I tell him with an annoyed tone. 

Well right now I'm using it.

Well I want to sleep! 

Jeeze hyung what's with you? Is it because Kala had to leave you here?

I don't want to talk about it, now get off my bed..... Please.

I thought for a moment and looked at the necklace around his neck.  Alright Hyung.   I got up and moved, Leo taking my place right after.

It's okay to say you miss her. 

.........

Whatever Hyung. Sleep well.  I walked over to Tanya's bed and jumped up on it taking my place at the head of the bed. I didn't have to worry about her mother seeing me because she and Tanya's brother were in the city for his birthday the whole weekend. 

Hopefully Kala comes back soon.

"Tanya, I can't thank you enough for doing this."  I look at her through the car window while putting the car in reverse.

"I know don't worry abut it, it's what I'm here for. I promise Leo will be just fine. I will make sure He and Minho don't fight and that he eats. Also don't hesitate to call if you need to, I'm sure Leo would like it."  I smile.

"Okay I won't. Thank you again."

"Drive safe!" I yell as she pulls out of the driveway.

"I will!! Goodbye!"

"Bye!!! Au revoir! Don't forget to write! Annyeong!!"   When Kala was down the street I walked back into the house and locked the door behind me. 

"Okay guys! who wants to- Hey what's wrong?"  

    When I walked into my room I saw Minho laying on my bed looking bored and Leo in a ball on his bed.  Oh no! What's wrong with Leo?!

I looked at Minho and gave him an accusing look.  What did you do?!

I looked up at Tanya to see her glaring at me.  What? I didn't do anything!!

I looked between Minho and Leo and turned to Leo to try and comfort him.  Before I could reach him I heard a faint grunt come from Minho. 

"What?"  I whispered to him. 

Tanya don't, I think he just wants to be alone for right now.

I stopped and looked at Leo who looked like one of those sad cartoon animals. All he was missing was the thunder cloud hovering over him. 

The poor thing, he's about as depressed as Kala is.  

I tip-toed over to the bed and gave Minho a pat on the head, then grabbed the pillow that Kala gave Leo.  As carefully as I could I placed the pillow next to Leo who looked at me for a minute before snuggling close to the pillow. 

I gently glided my hand over Leo's coat.  "Don't worry Leo, she will be back. She will be fine."  

What am I going to do? I can't help her if I'm not with her. What if she has another nightmare? What if she gets into an accident because of how sad she is? I should be with her....   

My mind and heart thumped loudly, making it hard to sleep. When I felt Tanya put Kala's pillow next me, Kala's scent wafted over me, making the pain in my heart hurt more. I moved closer to it and shut my eyes, wanting nothing more to be home with her.

I looked at Leo helplessly. What am I going to do?  I made my way back to my bed and sat next to Minho who just watched Leo with me. 

He'll be fine kala, he just needs time.

"I hope you're right Minho."  I say quietly before turning the tv on low and watching an anime with Minho.

 

 

 

~------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------~  A/n

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait. You would not believe the work load all of my teachers decided to pile on, just before break. -_-  Any ways, i hope this chapter is to your liking, more crack chapters (yes Ik, they don't exactly qualify as crack chapters but idk what else to call them) will be coming soon, and more chapters with Lizzy and Ana. Soon more exciting things will happen (I have it all planned out Mwahaha)   So I am very excited to write about the more exciting things.   So please tell me what you guys think! And Thank you thank you thank you! for all the subscribers! it makes me so happy! I love you all for reading it! 

Until next time, same bat-author, same bat-story.  (okay really bad joke but I've been dying to do that for a while!)

-Lian! ^^ 

 

tumblr_inline_nfpifgaB8v1sm8dfw.gif

 

tumblr_mq36a890l51re454io1_250.gif