Twenty Three

Dragon Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The whole of Dragonia was in chaos.

But not in the way that you would hear cries of help and despair.

On the contrary, it was noisy indeed but for a different reason.

A reason so sudden yet so much worth of a celebration.

It started when the whole palace was shook by the bellowing of the crowned Prince asking for the Palace’s Healer to drop anything that he is doing (Yixing did not quite literally drop Junmyeon but he has shoved the Advisor a bit too harsh in his surprise) and come to his aid in the quickest possible time. All of the soldiers inside the castle scampered with haste as they tried to locate the Healer first and earn the favor of the Prince for bringing him but thank whoever gods have send Jongin to them because the General appeared inside Yixing’s room in a second and the next, they found themselves outside the castle and seeing Yifan cradling a limp Chanyeol in his arms.

Yifan breathed in relief as he saw Yixing running towards them and he whispered to Chanyeol that everything will be alright. He did not expect any reply from the other as he know that Chanyeol might be in a trance wherein he will be until their little princess separates from him. Jongin was relieved himself too because he was able to convince Kyungsoo to stay put inside their room because if he saw who he calls as his bestfriend in that condition, his babe will definitely worry and he cannot have anything upset Kyungsoo when he is delicately carrying their baby boy.

After Yixing has instructed Jongin to bring them to the infirmary, the Prince’s longest hour has started.

The Prince has never witnessed a Delivery before. He knew of it but what he knows is limited to what has been taught to him as part of his education. It seemed like a tedious process to him because the Healer is not only dealing with one life but two. The Healer has to be trained enough to withstand the surge of power that will come from the Carrier because it will not only be his power but his child’s as well.

Yifan has all the reasons to be anxious because even though Yixing is the best in the kingdom, the Healer will be dealing with a great amount of power, seeing that the child that he will be Delivering is the child of the Prince and the Vessel of the Fire. It is selfish of him to subject one of his loyal companions and friend to something that strenuous even though Yixing will only be his duty for Dragonia.

He placed a hand on Yixing’s shoulder as they laid down Chanyeol in one of the cots as Jongin gave out instructions to the apprentices to gather other Healers that may be of assistance to Yixing. The Healer looked up at the Prince and he saw the worry in his eyes. With a dimpled smile, he placed a hand over Yifan’s and patted it lightly.

“Do not fret, your highness. I will Deliver your child safely and keep Chanyeol safe as well,” Yixing reassured Yifan.

“I have no doubt in your abilities, Yixing but…”

“I understand. Your worries are not misplaced, Prince Yifan but may I remind you that I am the best in what I do. And I am telling you that I am going to be on my best as I Deliver the next in line in the throne of Dragonia.”

Without any more ground for argument, Yifan sighed as he let go of Yixing and motioned for him to do what he needs to. With a bow, the Healer proceeded to place his hand on Chanyeol’s torso and it started to emit a soft light. It is not the best practice to have another person who is not in the field of Healing inside the infirmary during a Delivery but the Healers that have come to assist Yixing did not find the heart to remind that to the Prince because there was no doubt that he will fight for his stay.

Jongin joined the Prince soon after he had informed Kyungsoo of what has happened. The latter refused to unlatch himself from him at first and demands that he should be there for Chanyeol but the General would not hear any of it. He dejectedly left Kyungsoo in the care of Sehun, Luhan, Baekhyun and Jongdae and told them to keep a close eye on Kyungsoo. He does not want the other to do anything reckless that might put him and their child in danger.

“I am feeling… too many emotions all at once, Jongin. Is this how all fathers feel when they are expecting their firstborn?”

“I do not think I am in the position to say anything yet, your majesty. I am yet to experience what you are feeling at the moment,” Jongin kept his hands on his sides, fists clenched as he saw himself in a similar situation as the Prince’s. Will he be able to take it if he sees Kyungsoo the way Chanyeol is immobile on the cot? “But I have faith that everything will work out fine.”

“Thank you, Jongin.”

And the two expecting fathers fell into comfortable silence.

Yifan watched as Yixing hovered over Chanyeol, placing his hand over his torso, chest and head while the other Healers were all in his beck and call. He has told them to get double the amount of the usual Magic suppressors that is being used in a normal Delivery as a precaution. The light from Chanyeol’s torso is getting brighter by the minute and Yixing is pleased with the progress. The Delivery is going as it should be.

After the suppressors have been laid, Yixing has started to separate the child from Chanyeol.

He placed his palms down on top of Chanyeol’s chest where he could feel his Magic was concentrated. He needs to stimulate the Carrier’s Magic to coax the child to leave the Carrier’s body. He was not expecting a strong resistance to that though. The creases on his forehead deepened as he tried to put more Magic into Chanyeol but his Magic is not reacting to Yixing’s as expected.

This might not have been alarming but the rate that the light Chanyeol emits gets brighter, Yixing does not have the luxury of time. He has to think fast on what he should do because it might not turn out good if the Prince will see Chanyeol getting engulfed in his own flames.

“What is the matter, Yixing?” the Prince has noticed that the Healer had gone a bit uneasy, lines of confusion marring his forehead. The silence that answered his question pushed Yifan from the spot where he was staying and the other Healers stepped aside to give him way. Up close, he could see the distress in Yixing’s face and it brought him another wave of anxiety.

“It seems like Chanyeol’s Magic is not reacting to mine, your highness,” Yixing replied honestly. There is no reason to sugarcoat situations such as this. The Prince’s breath got caught in his throat as the information sunk into him.

“What?!” he choked out. Yifan felt his heart getting squeezed inside of his chest. Yixing did not say much but it was enough to let him know that Chanyeol is at risk. Their child as well.

“It might be because his Magic is rare, Yifan,” Yixing mused, even forgetting to address the Prince formally but Yifan had a more important case at hand than just to remind Yixing of honorifics. “And we have no time to do research on this. I deeply apologize for not foreseeing this sooner,” the Healer dipped his head low in embarrassment. How dare he reassure the Prince some minutes ago

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter