Proximity and Passion

Persona
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning I woke up with Amber in my arms. I looked at her bruises, her swollen lips and a tear left my eyes. How could someone be so cruel? How could a father be so cruel to his own blood? I looked at the clock. It is already time for school. I kissed her forehead, making her stirred.

"Stay home today," I said to her "I'll come back after school."

"No, wait. I'm going to" Amber said

"But your wounds," I said to her

Amber just smiled "I think everyone is already used to this. Besides, it's nothing compared to last time. Come on I'll take you home. You need to get new uniform and books for today, don't you. I'll be faster if I drive you"

I know it is no use to argue with her so I just nodded. 

 

Amber waited on the corner as I ran back to the house

"Soojung?" Mom was surprised "I thought you are at Jinri's?"

"I was but I forgot something for the class today" I shouted and went into my room, changing into my uniform and ran back outside "Bye Mom, Bye Dad, I love you, see you today after school. I have a study session so I'm going to be a little bit late. Be back for dinner" 

"Ok," my mom said.

Sometimes I do feel guilty about seeing Amber behind their backs. But right now Amber is alone. She needs me.  

 

I got off the bike and gave Amber the helmet.

"You go first," Amber told me

"I don't mind if everyone knows about us," I said to her

She smiled "One at a time? Please?"

I pouted but nodded.

"Now go," she said "You don't want to be late"

 

I went to the class and sat next to Sulli. She was surprised as she saw my face and grabbed my arm "What happened? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine" I forced a smile

"Don't lie to me, Soojung" Sulli whispered.

"Ssul, I..."

Before I could answer, the other girls are coming and I gave them a big smile. They were busy talking about some rumors in the news about some famous singer getting back with his ex-girlfriend. I wasn't really paying attention, my head is full of Amber. I turned my head to Sulli as she nudged my arm

"Where were you last night?" she whispered

I opened my mouth but at that moment Amber entered the classroom. Everyone started to whisper about the bruises and the broken lips. 

'I thought she stopped'

'I guess once a delinquent always a delinquent'

'How can a girl be like her?'

I can't help to watch her until she reached her seat. She is used to all the whispers and the talks, she stayed calm and sat on her desk.

If they only knew what she's going through. Do you even know how much she suffers?

I clenched my fist as the whispers and the talks got louder, I wanted to shout for them to shut up. I turned my head and my eyes met Amber's. She avoided my eyes but not before she slowly shook her head as if she knew what I was thinking. I bit my lips and looked away too. Without me knowing it, Sulli next to me was following my gaze, she frowned but stayed silent. 

That night as I went back home, Mom and Dad were asking me a lot of questions why the school is giving us so many tasks that we always come home late. Mom even said if this goes longer, she is going to protest to the teachers. I calmed her down and said it is so we are well prepared for the last exam. Mom still protested under her breath so I decided to spend more times at home. I miss Amber so much but we both knew that this is the best for now. A few days later Amber told me that Uncle Choi found her an apartment and asked if we could meet. I was glad that Mom and Dad didn't object much as I said I was going to come home later. 

 

The girls were planning to go to the movie together. I had to excuse myself to be able to meet Amber.

"You're not coming?" Luna said in a disappointed voice

"I really can't. I'm so sorry." I said apologetically "I have to help to move"

"You are moving? How come you don't tell us? How could you?" Luna screamed in disbelieve

I made an 'X' with my hands "No. It's not me. It's..." I considered what I was about to say before I continued "A friend of the family"

"Oh," Luna nodded "I still wish you could come, we planned this since last week."

"I know. I am so sorry. I'll make it up to you guys. Promised. I really have to go" I said to the girls

Bomi chewed on her gum "If I were you, I would make an excuse to skip it"

"I already promised," I said again.

"You have been very busy lately and rarely spend time with us" Luna pouted "If I hadn't known better. I would say that you are seeing someone behind our back"

I laughed awkwardly. 

Everybody turned their heads as a car approached us. 

"Wooooaaah" Eunji said "That is one sick car"

"Totally" Bomi jaw dropped

I sighed as the window rolled down and Uncle Choi waved and called me "Soojung"

"Uncle Choi" I nodded a little to him.

"That ahjussi is a friend of your family?" Luna raised her eyebrow "With that kind of car, he could just hire 100 men to do the moving. Why does he need you anyway?"

"Aunty Choi doesn't like it when strangers touch her crystal collections. You know how rich people are sometimes weird like that" I said "I've got to go"

 

I waved them goodbye and climbed into the car. Uncle Choi smiled at me and I nodded my head to him. I used to address him a called him Mr. Choi but after a while, he insisted that I call him 'Uncle' just like Amber calls him. As we arrived there, Amber was already waiting outside the B&B with her bag and the puppies. She put Jackjack and Gongju in the car, asked for direction and got back to her motorcycle. I smiled as she handed me the helmet and climbed on the back. I wrapped my arms around her waist. It always felt good having her so near.  Amber followed Uncle Choi's car and not long after, he stopped in front of a tall building. The building is already old but it is clean and it's in good condition. 

Uncle Choi took out a key and gave it to Amber "Welcome to your new home"l

The complex doesn't have a lift so we climbed the stairs, the apartment is on the 4th floor. 

"Not much interest on this one. It's too high for the elderly without a lift, the younger ones prefer a more modern apartment" Uncle Choi panted "So I got a decent price for it. Just so you know Amber, if I don't visit you often, it's not because I don't miss you, but my lungs aren't happy about these stairs"

I giggled at his words, Amber was holding my hand in one hand and on the other hand, she has Jackjack and Gongju in the box. She gave the key to me and said: "Why don't you open it". I obeyed and opened the door. Like Uncle Choi said, it wasn't spacious but it's clean and it has everything you need. The kitchen is together with the living room. Other than the kitchen itself, a small two-person sofa and a tv, there is nothing else. We entered the bedroom and all we saw is a king size bed crammed inside the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter