The Changing and the Seoul macaw bird

Persona
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two days later, I run hurriedly as the bell rang and reached my seat just in time before Mrs. Park entered the classroom. I took a glance at Amber, who was wearing a white turtle neck inside her uniform to cover the bruises on her neck. We greeted as Mrs. Park entered the room and just as I thought, Amber’s shirt was the first thing she noticed.

“Miss Liu, you know it’s not allowed to wear another shirt under the uniform”

Everyone turned their heads to Amber as she answered “I am sorry, Mrs. Park. I don’t feel well and have a sore throat. I know I should ask for permission first but it was only this morning and my Dad isn’t in town to write me a permission letter. I apologize”

Nobody expected that from Amber, even Mrs. Park. Normally Amber would just ignore her and just sleep in the classroom. She wasn’t sure what to think about Amber being polite and her response to her statement. She blinked a few times before she answered “Alright, Miss Liu, I’ll give you the exception for this time. I’ll notify the principal and the other teachers that you will be wearing that shirt for today because of your condition”

“Thank you, Mrs.Park”

 

I had to suppress a smile because everyone was having a big question mark on their faces. Amber never really talked in class before and especially she never responded to a teacher before. Everyone got even more confused because she actually took out her books and not sleeping during the first hour. Even Mrs. Park was throwing glances at Amber for not sleeping like usual.

Everyone was whispering and talking to each other as Mr. Oh replaced Mrs. Park on the next class and Amber was still awake.

Luna leaned to us and whispered “Maybe aliens took over her body” making me giggled. I guess it is hard to accept changes in such short time. The class in in another surprise as the bell rang for the first break. Everyone got up, some still puzzled about Amber’s behavior. I got up and linked my arm on Sulli’s, ready to get out of the class as I heard Amber’s voice.

 

She sounded a bit unsure as she said “Umm,Rome?”

The guy named Rome is on her same basketball team as her, I saw him turned his head confusedly to Amber “Yeah?” he answered.

Amber took a deep breath, gathering her courage before she said “Are you guys going to grab something to eat? You mind if I come along?”

Rome and some guys were staring at her at first, I guess they weren’t sure if they were hearing it right. I was afraid of their reaction and held my breath. Everyone froze in the class, waiting for Rome’s response. “Dude!” Rome’s voice was full of excitement “OMG! I never thought you would ask! Damn! This is so cool. Come on! Let’s grab something to eat!”

They were doing some kind of bro’s hug. The guys were patting Amber’s on the shoulder. I heard Rome said “You are so weird, you know. How come you never talk to us before? We play since months together and this is the first time you actually talk to me outside the field. Not cool, dude”

“Sorry” I heard Amber’s said “I… um…”

“Say no more” Rome said, circling his arm around Amber’s shoulder “Let’s just eat. My treat!” he smiled to her.

“Thanks” Amber said

 

We sat not so far away from Amber and her teammates at the cafeteria so we could hear everything they said. I’m glad to see that they really got along very well, some of them ask Amber this and that, nothing too heavy, nothing to deep. Rome treated them all sandwiches and even made a toast with their cokes. It was nice to see Amber smiled around other people. I think they are the right people for Amber to open up, they seem to be sincere and they have the same interest. Basketball.   

 

It’s getting harder to keep our relationship a secret, I had to remind myself not to look in her way too often. As the school bell rang, I looked at my cell and found a message from Amber, saying if it’s okay if she’s going to play some basketball with her teammates and then they are going to hang out together. I wrote her and told her it’s okay. The girls and I went out together that day, holding hands waking to our favorite café. As the other girls went to the bathroom, yes together as always, the only ones left sitting were Sulli and me. I smiled awkwardly, knowing that she waited for an explanation.

“Ssul…” I called her name while she ate her ice cream, watching me, waited for my words. I stopped talking, considering the best words to say, what should I tell her? What could I tell her?

“I’m sorry” was the words that came out of my mouth.

Sully lifted her head, looked at me without saying a word at first. She ate another scoop o her ice and said “I believe in you and your judgement. Just remember that we are here for you if you ever want to talk and that we love you for who you are”

I smiled to her “Thank you. It’s just that… things are a little bit complicated right now”

She nodded “Just be happy, Soojungie”

“I am happy, Ssul. There are still a lot of work, but I think we…” I blushed a little as I said the word ‘we’ “I think we can do this”

She chuckled and I was like “What?”

“Nothing” she said “It’s just you changed so much. You were our dreamer, you used to dream about prince charming and happily ever after. I’m happy to see that you’ve grown so much.”

“Just so you know, it is not even near a fairytale” I murmured, making Ssul laugh out loud.

“Nope, not even close” she grinned

 

I laughed and hugged her.

“I love you, Ssul” I said to her

“I love you too, Soojung. I’m always here for you, okay. Don’t ever forget that.”

“I won’t”

“Yaaah!” I heard Luna’s voice “Hugging without me isn’t allowed!”

She barged in and shouted “Group hug!” as she tightly hugging us. We all laughed.

 

I can’t be thankful enough for these people, for accepting me for who I am. Even though I say my parents are the greatest parents in the world, I do have my doubt if they are going to accept the fact that I am together with Amber, but I have zero doubt that Sulli and Luna are going to accept me and Amber openly once I came out.

I really enjoy the girls’ day out, trying on make ups, trying up clothes, giggling over guys who tried to get our numbers or our names. I called my parents, telling them I won’t be coming to dinner because I was at dinner with Sulli and Luna. It was already dark as I reached home. I took a shower, talked a bit with my mom and dad, went back to my room to do homework. I looked at my cell, there were 7 messages from Amber, telling me what she was doing. The last message was her telling me that she just got home and she was going to call me once she finished dinner.

I climbed on my bed, read a book while waiting for her call. I didn’t have to wait for long until my phone rang.

“Hey there…” her voice sounded tired

“Hey” I said, smiling at her voice.

“I missed you”

“I missed you too. Did you have fun?”

“I actually did, we played some rounds, talked about our strategy for the next match.”

“So, it wasn’t bad that I suggested you to socialize more?”

“No, it’s not, Krys. How was your day?”

“I went out with Ssul and Luna”

We exchanged stories of what we did that day.

 

“Hey, Krys…”

“Yes?”

“I went to see Jackjack before I went home”

“How is he?” I sat up on my bed

“A lot better. The doctor said he’s going to be fine but we can’t take him home until next week”

“The most important is that he’s healthy when he comes home”

“Yeah, I miss him”

“I miss him too, Amber”

“Can we meet tomorrow, Krys?”

“I promised Luna I’ll take her look for present for her boyfriend. He’s having birthday this weekend. We can meet after”

“I have practice at 5” Amber sounded disappointed

“Maybe we can meet for a while if the shopping goes well and Luna finds something quick”

“No… I don’t want you to rush. But promise me that we’ll spend time together on Wednesday?”

“Promised” I said to her on the phone.

“We’ll meet at the park?”

I smiled “Yes”

“Okay, then. I’m tired, Krys, I’m going to hit the bed.”

“Okay, Amber. Sleep tight”

“I love you, Krys.”

“I love you too, Am. Good night”

I hang up the phone with a smile on my face. Another small step, maybe with Amber hanging out more with her teammates means less time for us but I think it’s also important for her to do things that she loves. And I want her to build more self-confidence that she’s worth to be loved, to be around people, unlike what her dad always tells her.

 

Amber kept her promise, she hang out with Rome and her teammates on breaks, she listened to the teachers in the class instead of sleeping, and she even volunteered to solve a math problem in front of the class. Of course she became the hot topic in school. Everyone is wondering why the sudden change, most of the reactions are positive, of course there are some who spread crazy rumor from a terminal disease to murder, that Amber killed someone and she’s now on probation.

And I was supposed to be the one with wild imaginations

 

I saw Rome said to Amber as the school ended “Yow, Am! West Side Park under the bridge at 5! Don’t forget”

Amber nodded and said “I’ll be there”

I walked outside with Luna and I saw Amber went to the library direction, she must’ve parked her bike there. I bit my lip. Should I? Should I not? I braced myself. I let my hand go from Luna and told her “Hey, wait for me on the front gate, okay? I forgot something and I need to use the bathroom. I’ll hurry. I promised!”

“Soojung!” Luna screamed “Want me to go with you?”

“No! It’s just gonna be a sec. I promised! Just wait for me at the front gate” I shouted to her while I run to library direction. I saw Luna shrugged and walked to the front gate as told. I turned around once more to be sure that she didn’t follow me. After I was sure that she didn’t follow, I turned left and smiled as I saw Amber standing next to her bike. I know this place is secluded enough, no one really passes here. That’s why Amber parks her bike here.

I approached her slowly, cl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter