42 boys, 20 months, 5 weeks and one single word

Persona
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

20 months later

 

"Jung Soojung, will you be my girlfriend?"

My lips formed a worried smile.

 

Not again, I sighed inside my head, looking at the guy kneeling in front of me with hopeful eyes.

"I promised, I will treat you well" he added to convince me.

I forced a smile, trying to look very sincere as I said "I am so sorry, but I have to say no"

The guy got up, mumbled "Okay. It was worth a try" and left with his head hanging down.

 

As the guy nowhere to be seen anymore, I rolled my eyes as I heard voices from behind me.

"Congratulations!!! Contender no 42 has just been defeated!" Luna and Bomi popped out from behind the lockers with annoying grins on their faces.

"Oh shut up" I said

"It was 42, right? Or 43? I lost count" Luna peeped, taking out a small book from her bag.

"Yah!" I glared at her "Are you keeping tab?" trying to grab the small book from her hand but failed.

Luna stuck her tongue out "Yes, because it's fun"

"It is not fun" I sighed

"Of course it is fun" Bomi said, linking her arm with mine "You girl. is like a legend in our school. Who could turn down 42 boys in 18 months other than you?" She grinned.

"I don't want them to" I mumbled under my breath.

"That is exactly the problem. Boys are very competitive. You are now a trophy. Who will win the pretty ice princess... The more boys you turned down, the more will come" she said in a theatrical way.

"But seriously, Soojung" Luna linked my other arm "What is it that you want? You just turned everyone down, tall, short, handsome, not so handsome, smart, nerd, dork, no one had a chance"

"I just... don't feel like they are the one" I answered slowly

"How do you know that? I mean you didn't even try to go out with them"

"She even turned down this rich guy, you know that one who always hang with his group. What's his name again?"

"Ewww, you mean that short one who always act like he's the most handsome guy in the whole world?" Luna said "The one who always has 9 boys around him to order around? I don't like him. Good that you turned him down, Soojung"

​I sighed "Can we stop talking about this? This is giving me headache" I rub my forehead.

"Come on, girls, Give Soojung some space" Sulli said "You okay?" She smiled to me

"Yeah" I nodded

 

It has been about 18 months since our school not an all girl school anymore. There was a lot of protests from the parents at first but at the end it was decided that we would become a mix school. And my agony begun ever since.

 

"This is your fault too, you know" I said to the girls

"What?" They looked at me with big eyes "How is this our fault, too?"

"Because you guys are taken. I bet those guys wanted to ask you guys but you all are so lovey dovey with your boyfriends, so I am the only victim left"

"Point taken" Bomi said "But you are the one who said no to everyone. You really don't find any of them attractive? I mean some of them are not bad, you know"

I just shrugged.

"You are weird, Jung Soojung. Are you still waiting for your prince charming? Those kind are as real as dragons, you know" Luna laughed.

"Come on, stop bothering the girl. I'm sure she'll say yes if she finds someone she likes" Sulli took me in her arms "Right, Soojungie?"

"Yeah" I said, but only to calm them, deep down I know, it won't be soon that I will be able to like someone again.

 

Luna and Bomi waved us goodbye as we parted ways, they wanted to go look around, while Sulli and I walked home.

"Don't think about it too much, Soojung" Sulli smiled

"Thank you" I looked at her. I have to say Sulli is the closest to me, she's like my twin. I think she can feel what I feel even if I didn't tell her anything.

"Love comes just like that in the movie, but it does require some sacrifice and work in real life" she took my hands in hers "if you think he could treat you well, maybe you should try"

 

We were busy with exams for the next 3 weeks before the school year ended, thank God because during that time I didn't have to turn anyone down. 

Everyone was cheering, some throwed their books in the air as the last exam ended.

We had 5 weeks free before our senior year started. Everyone already has a plan, Sulli planned to go to Busan, Bomi was going to spend time with her grandmother in Yeosu and Luna had a 3 weeks trip to San Francisco. I didn't really plan anything. 

 

The next day was our last day in school, it was lunch break. I sat with the girls in the cafetaria, waiting for the announcement for all of us to go the hall for principal speech on last school day. Everyone echoed 'Ooohhhhhh' as a tall guy came to our desk.

"Fighting" some said while others just laughed.

 

"Jung Soojung-shii" I heard he said my name. 

I turned around to face him. I didn't know his name but I know he's a senior, I think he's the treasurer in the school committe. Tall, a bit too skinny, he wore a thick horn rimmed glasses.

I bowed a little to him "Yes?" I said.

"Can.. can we talk?" he stuttered, his ears went red.

"Just ask her" a guy shouted from the corner "We all know what you want"

His face turned red and he stuttered even more "I--I--I am s--so--sorry. I--- I---"

 

Everyone was laughing at the poor guy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter