A small step together

Persona
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I chewed on my toast hurriedly and drink my OJ.

“Bye Mom. Bye Dad” I kissed them on the cheek, grabbed my bag and run to the door.

“Wait, Soojung! Where are you going? It’s Saturday”

“To the hospital” I shouted while putting on my shoes.

“Hospital?” My mom said

“A classmate is sick. She doesn’t have a mom anymore and her Dad is abroad. I’m going to help her”

My Dad gave me Mom that “We raised her well” look and smiled.

“Be careful, honey. Are you going to be home for dinner?”

“Umm, I don’t know Mom. I need to look how she’s doing. I’ll let you know. Is that alright?”

“Sure, Honey. Send our regards to your friend”

“I will, Mom”

 

I didn’t lie. Amber is a classmate I’m helping. I just keeping the dating part a secret. It’s not a crime right? I’m going to tell them when the time is right.

 

 

I frowned as I saw Amber standing in front of her bed. On the bed was a black bag and she was putting clothes inside.

“What are you doing?” I approached her.

“Oh hi, Krys” she smiled and leaned to kiss my cheek as I stood next to her.

I didn’t even comment about the kiss, still wondering about her packing.

“Why are you packing the bag?” I turned to see her and saw she didn’t have her neck support anymore. She wore a black turtle neck shirt to cover the bruises on her neck.

“Going home” Amber grinned

“What? Did the doctors say you can go home?”

“Nope” she said lightly

“Amber!” I pulled her sleeve “That’s dangerous. You should stay a few more days”

She smiled at my worried eyes “I’m okay, Krys. I’ve been beaten worse than this. Trust me. I#m going to be fine”

“But…”

“I’m fine” she smiled assuring me.

 

I know it was no use convincing her to stay so I walked out the hospital with her.

“Miss Liu” a man in suit waited for us outside the door.

Amber nodded. The man wanted to take the bag in Amber’s hand but she shook her head.

“It’s ok” she said to him.

The man bowed and guided us to the black car, opened the door for us.

 Amber helped me climbed inside the car and followed me.

“Where to Miss?”

Amber told him an address and he nodded.

“I want to see Jackjack” Amber said to me.

I nodded “How is he?”

“He survived the surgery”

I exhaled in relieved “Gongju?”

“Not sure. I called the clinic this morning. They said she’s weak and refused to eat”

 

I believe that animals have feeling. Gongju must be worried about Amber and Jackjack. I think she’ll be relieved if she sees Amber. We got off and walked to the receptionist. I smiled as Amber took my hand and squeeze her hand, telling her that I am there for her.

 

“My name is Liu” she said to the woman behind the desk “I’m here to see my dogs. My friend brought them here yesterday. Jackjack and Gongju”

Amber had to fill some forms. I could feel how nervous she was.

She asked politely if we could see them. We could only see Jackjack through a window. He’s still critical, the doctor said. The internal bleeding was severe and he lost a lot of blood. Amber stared at the floor, she tried to hide her tears. I kissed her temple. She turned around to face me and hugged me “Thank you for being here for me” she whispered

I smiled, trying to be her strength in my own way.

 

We walked hand in hand to the place where they kept Gongju. She was barking happily as she noticed us and leaped immediately to Amber’s hands. Amber was holding her tight and kept on muttering “I am sorry. I am sorry that I couldn’t protect you.”

That brought me to tears.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter