Chapter 6

The loss hour

Wooyoung arrives at the mansion with Junho after he’s done taking care of everything at his old place. He was lying down on the bed when Minjun come looking for him.

“Woo, I need to speak to you. Are you alone?” Minjun ask looking nervously at him. Wooyoung smiles widely.

“Yes, hyung. Come in.” Wooyoung moves to sit with Minjun. Minjun still looks cautious.

“Are you really alone?” Minjun asks again the same question. Seeing the nervousness in Minjun’s face Wooyoung realize who’s the question referring too. Wooyoung looks around the room.

“I’m really alone hyung. I have been since Junho went to follow Chansung.” Wooyoung said giving assuring smiles. Minjun sighs in relief. Minjun look ups at Wooyoung and take a deep breath. Wooyoung can sense the seriousness in the air.

“Wooyoung, what I’m going to tell you is very important.” Minjun pauses. He takes another deep breath. Wooyoung can sense the nervousness in the words. He chooses to stay silent.

“I’m going to start with your very first confusion. Why are you being sent away…” Minjun stops to looks at Wooyoung. Wooyoung silently encourages him to continue.

“Well, to explain it exactly, the man always goes to the Jang who can see him clearly. Your ancestors were all gifted with some sort of sixth sense.” Minjun pauses to look at Wooyoung. Wooyoung looks quiet shock. Minjun gives a weak smile.

“Woo, we know you can read our emotion easily like you read a page from a book.” Minjun confessed and Wooyoung gives an awkward smile.

“All of your ancestors can do that, the only different is that it’ll be stronger with every new descendant. Your late mother can read thought like you, but, she can’t choose not to. You completely blocked Junho right? You know his emotion but you never read his thought.” Minjun asks making Wooyoung frowns.

“How did you…?” He wants to ask but then the answers occur to him.

“Nichkhun!” He looks at Minjun questioningly and the man just smile.

“But, that’s not the problem. The problem is, even when all your ancestors can read thought, not all of them can see the man. In every generation, only ONE person is able to see him. When your mother was pregnant with you, we know you’ll see him.” Minjun stops. Wooyoung frowns deeper.

“You’re making me more confuse hyung. How can you be sure it’ll be me? You’re not even explaining the reason I was sent far away.” Wooyoung can’t help but complain. Minjun gives a long sighs.

“We’re getting to that. Your mother is barren Woo. They got you after years of clinical test. You’ll be their only child. When you were born they sent you away because your parent wants to break the blood promise. The man can’t go to you because he’s bound to your mother.” Minjun stops to take a breath. Wooyoung looks utterly confuse.

“I don’t get it hyung.” He voices out. Minjun gives a deep sighs again.

“It’s all going well; the man will be with your mother, he won’t be able to trace you because he’ll be too busy making whomever he’s bound to happy. That was his promise. In the event of the designee passing away, if nobody can continue the blood promise, the man will eventually loss his power and ceases to exist and Nichkhun will die….” Minjun wants to continue but stop when Wooyoung scream.

“Wait! Hyung, what do you mean that Nichkhun will die?” Wooyoung asks exasperated.

“The blood promise is their life line Woo. The man promise to your family is I swear on my soul and my blood that I’ll make your descendant happy and out of misery for as long as you need me and Nichkhun promise to the man is that I swear with my soul and blood that I’ll be with you, through thick and thin to support you, to not let you go astray as long as you need me.” Minjun stops. Wooyoung gulps. He realizes that Minjun talks to him much like Nichkhun.

“That’s so wrong hyung. If I don’t come and sign the paper, I’ve killed both of them.” Wooyoung points out nervously. Minjun takes a deep breath.

“They’ve accepted it Woo. It had been going on too long. Nichkhun said they should’ve been dead long time ago. You know, watching your love one grew old and die before you is not a pleasant thing Woo, and if you watch it again and again for century, that must have done something to your soul.” Minjun looks straight at Wooyoung and Wooyoung gulps. He senses that the man sitting in front of him had undergone the pain of losing someone he loves. Minjun turn away his stare and clears his throat.

“The plan was going well until the day of your father accident.” Minjun stops. He was thinking how to explain the event properly. Wooyoung waits patiently. Minjun takes a deep breath.

“Woo, this was not known to public, but actually your father was murdered. Someone cuts his car’s brake line and then his car went down the hill.” Minjun speak up and Wooyoung becomes alarms out of sudden.  Image of Taecyeon keep coming into his head.

“That can’t be right.” Wooyoung thought but become shock when Minjun continue.

“…and somehow your late mother was involved in it.” Minjun scans Wooyoung before he continues again.

“I’m sorry Woo, I don’t know the detail, and I was out of town at the time. But Chansung had told me Nichkhun had been so furious. He even hit your mother, which is immoral of him to hit and old person and a lady at that.” If in normal condition Wooyoung would had laugh at the words but now he was too stunned to react. Minjun ignores Wooyoung dazes state and keep on.

“…and because Nichkhun was not usually like that, he was NEVER like that…it means there’s something serious happening. After the incidents, your mother’s will weaken and that’s when the man realizes about you. Wooyoung, truth to be told, the blood promise is the only way you can have some control over him.” At the words, Wooyoung immediately turns pale. Minjun had lost count how many times he had sighs that day.

“I’ll leave you alone for a while so that you can take everything in. If you need to ask anything, looks for me or Nichkhun.” Minjun said before he walks away.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

When Wooyoung had overcome his shock, the first thing he decides is that he’s going to visit his father’s grave. That’s the least he can do. He checks his phone and sees that Junho had sent him some text.

Woo, I’m going on some intro between my new colleague and Chansung will give me some tour around town. I won’t be back until dinner. You will be ok alone won’t you?” Junho wrote and at that Wooyoung smiles in relief.

“At least he was having fun.” Wooyoung thought. He replied the text before he went looking for someone that can send him to the memorial place. When he arrives he sees a familiar figure standing in front on his mother’s site. They place his parent side by side. Wooyoung catches how lonely and how much at lost the face the figure spots on. The moments Wooyoung steps into the place, the figure turns his head and his face lighten up at once.

“Taec…” Wooyoung calls making Taecyeon smiles at once. Sincerely smiles. That’s when Wooyoung debates with himself.

“How can the person standing in front of him right now capable of doing something so wicked like what he heard earlier?” Wooyoung was torn. He steps closer to where Taecyeon was standing. There were only two of them there.

“I have something I need to clear up from you.” Wooyoung begins and at once Taecyeon’s face tighten. Wooyoung smiles a bit.

“That clears something up. That’s how he learns about me. He can read us perfectly. That’s why when my mother broke, he knows. He can read us as long there’s no restraint put on him…and I don’t want to force him do anything he refuse too.” Wooyoung thought silently. Wooyoung searches for some place to seats while Taecyeon follows his movement with his eyes.

“I want to know about my father.” Wooyoung said and seeing how Taecyeon look like a deer caught in the headlight, Wooyoung wasn’t sure whether he supposed to feel mad or sad.

“Do you really kill him Taec?” Wooyoung asks straight to the point because he was like that. He’s not the type to talk in a roundabout way.

“Nichkhun said I killed him.” Taecyeon answers truthfully and Wooyoung feels something was amiss. Blame his overdose of late movie night with Junho but Wooyoung knows that instant that was not how a killer supposed to behave like.

“Do you do it on purpose?” Wooyoung asks and at that question Taecyeon turns rigid. He remains silent.

“How is my mother involved in that?” Wooyoung asks again but Taecyeon keeps on being quiet. Suddenly Wooyoung feels the dread in his heart. He looks terrified.

“Don’t tell me…” Wooyoung said.

“Did my mother…” Wooyoung paused again.

“Did she really…” Wooyoung’s eyes widen. The void of emotion on Taecyeon’s face somehow confirms his fear. Anger consumes Wooyoung out of sudden.

“Taec, are you protecting my mother?” He asks icily and if any normal person hears that tone they’ll wince. Taecyeon still not saying anything and Wooyoung had enough. He won’t get anything from Taecyeon. There’s only one person he can ask, Nichkhun, and at that he leaves.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“What my mother had done?” That’s the first thing Nichkhun heard when Wooyoung step into his rooms. Nichkhun dismiss the other people in the room first before he walks toward Wooyoung.

“Take a sit first Woo. It’s better to sit down when you’re angry.” Nichkhun said calm and Wooyoung silently comply.

“Hyung, I have a theory. But I refuse to acknowledge it until I hear it directly from you.” Wooyoung starts again. A bit calmer this time. Nichkhun smiles a bit.

“Your mother didn’t force him.” Nichkhun said and Wooyoung frowns. He was confused now.

“But hyung…” Wooyoung wants to object when Nichkhun continue.

“Your mother didn’t force him to kill your father. Neither did she ask him too. She just merely wishes for it in a fleeting moment. She wants him to feel her pain. Not to hurt him to make it lethal.” Nichkhun stops. Wooyoung frowns deeper.

“Your mother knew that your father had an affair. Woo, you can guess how people normally act in this situation.” Nichkhun points out and Wooyoung can almost play the scene in his mind. Seriously, blame his overdose of late movie night.

“I wish you were dead, you traitor!” Wooyoung can almost hear the voice in his head. He looks quite shock. Nichkhun sighs.

“…and what of it to him Woo? Whether it’s merely a wish in a fleeting moment or a direct instruction. How can he see the different? The only think he sees is that the person he care for is sad, is in pain. Neither of them can be blame for it but he did pull the trigger.” Nichkhun stops. Wooyoung was quiet. He was at lost for what to say.

“It doesn’t make sense hyung. He’s not solid. I can walk through him. Not that I want too. That was sick.” Wooyoung frowns at the image and Nichkhun can’t help but chuckle. Nichkhun stand to pick something from his desk.

“He pays direly for it Woo. He still is. Your mother shuts him out. When he was bound that much and then the person rejected him, it feels like he is burnt alive.” Nichkhun speaks after placing something on the table and Wooyoung frowns in confusion. He can’t understand what Nichkhun try to say. Nichkhun gestures to him to look at the table and when Wooyoung look down he almost throw up. There, lying on the table is a dried reddish brown document. Wooyoung could swear that the document had been soaked in blood and dried.

“What is that hyung?” Wooyoung asks in horror.

“That’s your mother heritage document.” Nichkhun explains. Wooyoung at once shut his mouth with his hand. He feels sick and his stomach was doing some kind of summersault.

“I…is…isn’t….isn’t that…” Wooyoung can’t seem to find any power in him to continue talking. Nichkhun sighs.

“Remember the document that you sign? You bled on it right? Truthfully, only a bit of bloods were needed for the blood promise. The case is, the more you bleed the more he was bound to you, the stronger he get. With the condition of your mother document, he can drive the car himself to your father doom if he chooses too. Your mother bound him to her that much.” Nichkhun stops explaining and Wooyoung groans.

“That was…urghh!!!” Wooyoung can’t continue his words again.

“Yes, your mother was kind of sick.” Nichkhun said with a nod and Wooyoung groans again. After a moment to gather himself again, Wooyoung was back to normal.

“So hyung, what about me? What should I do?” Wooyoung asks.

“Well, at least you aren’t as sick as your mother…” Nichkhun trails making Wooyoung pout.

“Be serious hyung, I’m not in the mood to joke.” Wooyoung complains and Nichkhun smiles.

“I am serious.” Nichkhun affirms and Wooyoung keeps on pouting.

“Seeing how you can control yourself pretty well, there’ll be no harm done. Even when his moods affect the weather and he can misinterpret your thought, he’s pretty harmless Woo. Besides, with your states of mind right now, you can control him. You can block your thought from him if you wish but I don’t think you have the wish too.” Nichkhun looks at Wooyoung with one raise brow making Wooyoung blush.

“I should block my thought from you hyung.” Wooyoung whine. Nichkhun chuckle a bit.

“Then, you should practice more because I’m his brother and older than him.” Nichkhun reminded and Wooyoung grunts in dissatisfaction.