Afraid

New Beginning

 

Kang Minhyuk’s POV:

“Excuse me; do you happen to know where this building is?” I was searching for my other classmates when I found two round eyes looking at me instead, pulling me deeper into the stare. I was rather left speechless with her expression and I can’t help but stare at her mindlessly. “Uhm, do you?”

Her voice brought me back to reality as if by some weird occurrence, I was suddenly taken into another dimension and rely because of her voice. She was still looking at me with those eyes that made me lose it for a second. I gathered my disoriented thoughts and finally took the effort to address her concerns. I peeked at the paper she was holding out and I was surprised when I saw it.

“We’re in the same class. Why don’t we go together?” I asked her even though I was feeling a bit shy but I just can’t seem to let her alone, not to mention the fact how relieved she was when I said those words.

“Really? LUCKY ME!” She flashed this blinding smile and I can’t help but smile in return.

The first day I met Taera.

“Hey, he’s here. I’m going now.” Taera immediately stood up when she saw Jonghun’s car outside the coffee shop we were staying in. I watched her hopped her way to Jonghun and they both waved good bye to us with smiles on their faces. As soon as they left, I felt my face dropped.

“Want to stay and hang out with us?” I looked at Mina who had this look on her face. Mina and I had been good friends ever since college and I have seen how much her relationship with Jaejin changed her a lot for the better. Though she may still seem cold most of the time, she has this warm aura now with her. I let out a sigh to get out the frustration I was feeling, to be surrounded by people filled with love, while I sit here alone and watch the girl I like get taken away from me.

“Hello, earth to Kang Minhyuk. Offer will expire in 5, 4, 3, 2—“

“Okay, I’ll stay.” She patted my back and I let out a small smile to her. She could be very irritating but at times like this she was the person in our group that could easily understand.

“Besides, Jaejin is the perfect person to ask about your situation. Jonghun and you are my friends so I want both of you to have a shot at this.” She explained. I know what happened between her and Jonghun-hyung and how she got to be with Jaejin since the people in our group were nosy enough to know the details. I just nodded to her and we waited for Jaejin to arrive.

“Minhyuk’s going to stay around. He needs some goat wisdom so you can’t say NO.” I can’t help but let out a snicker at Mina’s remark. Jaejin just came and he couldn’t do anything but say yes to her.

“Jaejin, I wonder why you got a girl like Mina.” I teased and Mina glared at me.

“I don’t know either. I must have been poisoned or something.”I laughed at his answer Mina hit us both in the arm and pouted back, dropping herself on her seat.

“Then spit the damn poison if you don’t want it. I’ll poison someone else.”

“Ya! You are not allowed to poison anyone but me!” Mina stuck her tongue out at Jaejin and she ignored his possessiveness. After a few more seconds, Mina bursted into laughter and I saw her squeezed Jaejin’s hand to reassure him or something. It was really a sight and I can’t help but feel jealous of what they have.

“Anyway, we’re missing out the real point.” She pointed at me and I jumped a little from the sudden shift of attention.

“Why? What’s the thing by the way?” Jaejin looked at me to answer his question.

“In love with Taera.” Mina answered for me though. She said it as if it was a perfectly simple matter, but Jaejin’s expression upon hearing the answer told otherwise. He thought for a few seconds before speaking.

“You’re up against a wall.” He answered with pity in his tone and I know very well what he meant. I sighed and turned to him again since I know he was indeed the right person to ask since he almost lost Mina as well.

“I know right.” I replied weakly as if life was being drained out of me because of the helpless situation I was in.

“Taera and Jonghun-hyung are seeing each other a lot lately. But when Hongki-hyung asked them what’s between them, they both said they are not together YET. Something like enjoying each other’s company.” Jaejin looked at Mina meaningfully and she looked down, probably getting what those looks meant. Jonghun was still sort of holding back because of his feelings for Mina; that was what it looked like to me. “But the fact that he is going out with Taera means a very big possibility,” His voice trailed off and I was the one who looked away this time.

“There’s no hope for me, isn’t it?” I asked without expecting any good news from his answer and kept my gaze far to get my mind off of things a little.

“You know, that was what I also thought when Mina and hyung started seeing each other. What was worst was that I realized my true feelings when he confessed to Mina and at that time I really thought I was stupid and everything was IMPOSSIBLE. I get that feeling and it to feel HELPLESS.” He narrated as if Mina wasn’t there who was also listening awkwardly to what he was saying. I found myself listening attentively as he tells his experience.

“When the two of them broke up, I still didn’t see it as a chance, more like I hesitated even more and the fear of rejection took over me completely. But it figures that all I needed was a little push.” He smiled at me and he looked at Mina who smiled shyly at him.

“All I can say is that, love is a war. You should know when to fight with all you’ve got even if you’re badly wounded. At least if you fight with all your might, even though you lost, you can say to yourself that you’ve done everything you can.” There was a glint of hope in the darkest depths that filled my heart with all the words he said. He was helping me realize all the possibilities that were out there. I let out a small smile from the wisdom he just said.

“But then again, a good soldier knows when to retreat, when to give out that white flag.” His voice warned me. Nothing is certain but there are possibilities. I leaned my back against the chair to support myself as I process everything he said to me. I hate to admit, I am scared of rejection. I looked at the couple next to me. They were both smiling genuinely for having each other finally. Both of them were afraid and when you think about it, everyone is too busy being scared. But they took the risk and look where they are now.

author: FINALLY I CAN ACCESS AFF OMG! XD hahaahaha hey guys, i just got back from retreat yesterday. :D hehehe i wrote this one back in the retreat house so yeah.. xD sorry it took a while befre i updated.. xD :)

@ChocoBun- it's already difficult to deal with someone who lost a gf, so a love triangle would make it more difficult.. xD lol

@kokokoko- xD sorry if it's too serious, i'l try to lighten up things a little.. xD but for Hongki's situation..ajkshdjkasdh xD

@ilovejinnie- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :D hehe hope you enjoy this till the end *0* :)