Chapter 21: Bitter Before Sweet

Clueless, yet Adorable
Please log in to read the full chapter

Previously on Clueless, yet Adorable, Chapter 20: Who's the Man

 

When they were too engrossed in making out on the couch, Seohyun’s phone beeped. Both of them reluctantly pulled away as Seohyun checked her phone on the coffee table. She gasped and mad at the same time as she read the text from none other than her mischievous cousin.

Congratulations cousin! You passed Uncle Seo’s challenge! Enjoy making out~ ;) p/s: Don’t make too much noise. We could hear from outside the door, Hyunnie. xx

The younger girl groaned as she clenched her fist. Yoona took the phone and read the text message as well. Then, she laughed heartily as she already knew what triggered their fight yesterday. “Daeeeebak!” shouted the doe-eyed girl. Apparently her soon-to-be father in-law was testing his own daughter—and thankfully, Seohyun proved him right.

 

 

Chapter 21: Bitter Before Sweet

 

A week left before the future heiress of the Im Corp. finished her internship in her girlfriend’s company. The more she spent time with the workers there, the more she felt hard to leave. With her outgoing personality, everyone in the company was having a hard time to let her go as well. A week before her leave, the company was secretly planning a farewell party for the doe-eyed angel.

To work the plan out, 6 subordinates under the department where Yoona was assigned to were asking help from the young CEO of Seo Jewelry. Since the news about their relationship was already known internally, they thought Seohyun was the right person to go to.

In regards to the surprise, at first Seohyun was amused with her workers when she was informed about the plan. She didn’t expect that her girlfriend’s presence in the company would give such a huge positive impact to the employees there. Similarly, she had a mixed feeling to know her girlfriend wouldn’t be working under the same roof with her after the training ended. But at the same time, she looked forward to the official announcement of the new heiress for the Im Corp as that would also mean Yoona was ready to face the real business world.

“I don’t have any problem with that. How are you guys going to do it?”

It was 8PM and Seohyun took the time to gather with the subordinates under the R&D department at the bar they usual went. She had to lie to her girlfriend that she went for a business meeting and asked Yoona to go home first.

A young woman fixed her glasses before explaining the plan, “Um actually we are not sure if Yoona-sshi would like this idea…but before that, we need to ask you, Ms. Seo”

Seohyun nodded, “What is it, Uee-sshi?”

The woman earlier continued, “About…ummm…….” She was hesitant to ask, so she looked and asked the man next to her for help. Automatically, Seohyun glanced at the gentleman and waited for either one of them to ask.

Seeing the subordinates were sending signals to each other around the table, the young heiress of the jewelry company shook her head and chuckled.

“Seriously guys, just ask right away.” She tried to ease the situation.

The woman who spoke earlier finally asked, “Have you ever thought of……get—getting married, Ms. Seo?”

That question caught Seohyun off guard. It wasn’t because she hadn’t considered about it; in fact, she was actually trying to find the right time to propose her girlfriend. Due to the fact that Yoona hadn’t formally introduced to the public yet, and since both of them were busy with work and training, Seohyun kept her intention to propose on hold for a while.

Judging from their employee’s surprised look, the others knew that their boss didn’t expect the blunt question. So, one of them spoke “Ah…Don’t take it wrongly, Ms. Seo. We’re just—”

Seohyun cut in, “Gwenchana, Suho-sshi.” She gave a smile to reduce the tension. “Actually, I’m still waiting for the right time to do that, Uee-sshi.” She faced the woman in glasses.

After her explanation, the others nodded their heads.

And then, one of them suggested, “How about during the farewell, Ms. Seo? It would be awesome to have double celebration. Hehehe” The lady named Seulgi stated.

The suggestion made their boss smiled widely. “Well, it would be great. But, frankly speaking…” she nervously said, “…I’m not sure if…I’m ready for this.”

The employees were amused to see their boss feeling shy and nervous. Usually, Seohyun looked serious and well-composed. But the sight of Seohyun at that moment was new for them. Not to mention the obvious blush on her cheeks that led to unstoppable teases.

“Aiyeeeeee!!”

“Our boss is shy!”

“Awwwww~ Don’t be shy, Seohyun-sshi.”

She covered her face with both hands and her lips couldn’t seem to stop from smiling. Somehow the meeting for her girlfriend’s farewell had made her closer to the subordinates in R&D Department.

“Alright guys, stop teasing our boss” said one of them. “Let’s start discussing~~”

 

The so-called business meeting ended around 12 midnight. That also meant that Seohyun came home late. When she arrived at the pent house, she assumed her girlfriend was already asleep; but her assumption was invalid because she saw a figure was standing outside the balcony.

Although she had high alcohol tolerance, she was a bit drunk that night. Since she wanted to make a good impression to her employees, she joined drinking with them. With a little effort, she went outside the balcony and stood behind the female figure.

“Hi babe” she greeted with a back-hug. Her slurry speech made the other girl turned her head.

Yoona frowned when she could sniff the smell of alcohol from her girlfriend. “Babe, did you drink? You seem drunk” she asked worriedly.

 

Yoona’s POV

When the wall clock 12 midnight, I became more worried with my girlfriend. I couldn’t sleep as she hadn’t replied my texts and calls since 9PM. I thought that the meeting wouldn’t take a longer time to finish. But she could at least inform me, right? I let out the umpteenth sigh for the night.

While waiting for her, I went out to the balcony to take some fresh air, and at the same time, to calm myself not to get mad at Seohyun when she came back. Not long after, I heard some noise coming from inside the house. Since I could already predict that Seohyun just came back, I decided to stay at the balcony. Soon after, I was greeted by a back-hug from her.

“Hi babe”

I frowned as soon as I sniffed in alcohol scent from her; and the way speak was a bit slurry. She was obviously drunk, I can tell.

“Babe, did you drink? You seem drunk” I asked her while turned my head partially to see her face.

Instead of an answer, I heard she giggled slightly with her eyes closed. She leaned her chin on my shoulder and hugged me tight. “Ummm…I miss youuuu Yoonba—by…”

As she told me earlier, she had gone to a business meeting. From what I know, Seohyun wasn’t the type to drink too much—not when she was dealing with a client. But seeing her in this state right now makes me feel suspicious. Did she really go for a business meeting?

I let go of the hug slowly and cupped her face gently. Her eyes were still closed but her weird smile remained. “Aigoo…this is my first time seeing you like this, Seobaby.”

Of course there wasn’t any reply from Seohyun. I then brought her inside and tugged her into bed. I did what I was supposed to do—took off her stilettos, change her into comfortable clothes and wiped her face and hands.

As much as I wanted to think negatively about tonight’s encounter, I decided to ignore the thought. Maybe…just maybe, she wanted to drink for tonight. I shall let it pass.

 

Author’s POV

However, Yoona was wrong. Seohyun kept coming home late for the next few days. Her doubt mounted up when she found her girlfriend drunk every time she came home. She was trying to be patient with the sudden change of behavior but it was getting hard to tolerate.

Every midnights for that particular week, Yoona had learned her girlfriend’s new habits; drunk and came home very late. And during those midnights, she was the one to nurse Seohyun; changed her clothes and made beansprouts soup the next day. She couldn’t thank Google search engine enough for the beansprouts soup recipe. Yoona was told that the soup could help in reducing the hangover.

Even though her mind always thought that Seohyun was hiding something behind her back, she kept positivity in check every time. Each day, she forced herself to think that Seohyun was just in the phase of accepting the endless workload at the company after the graduation. ‘She’s just trying to get used to her working condition’ thought Yoona.

There was a time when Yoona asked Seohyun about her whereabouts that night. The same answer was given to her, “I have business meeting. Don’t wait for me yea.” Seohyun never told her the place and whom she was meeting with. Since Yoona was sensible enough not to argue, she pushed her doubt away.

 

A day before the Farewell & Wedding Proposal

Seohyun’s POV

I was in a deep sleep when I felt a hand shook my body.

“Babe, wake up” a voice called.

My eyes felt so heavy and somehow my body was slightly aching. I groggily turned to the owner of the soft hand and rubbed my eyes. Due to the bright rays from the windows, I kept closing my eyes unintentionally.

“Seobaby~ Come on. It’s late already. We need to go to work, remember?” a soft voice along with a gentle push on my arm was keeping me awake.

Please log in to read the full chapter