Parents

Another ShinJaeRella Story

Shin Jae’s POV

 

 

“Chanyeol? Is something wrong?”

 

“Nothing’s wrong, Shin Jae.”

 

 

Chanyeol and I are doing our homeworks together. He’s been relatively quiet, and I knew that something is indeed wrong.

 

 

As we were done, he left without saying good night. I felt something hurt in my chest as soon as he turned his back on me.

 

 

The next day, as I was eating breakfast with Chanyeol and his father, someone rang the doorbell. I volunteered to see who it was.

 

 

“Good morning, princess.”

 

 

Byun Baekhyun.

 

 

“Shin Jae? Who’s that?” I heard Chanyeol’s father call from the breakfast table.

 

“Oh, uh...” I didn’t know what to say until Chanyeol spoke for me.

 

“It’s Shin Jae’s boyfriend.”

 

“Oh, is that so? Are you going to school together?”

 

“They always go together, dad.” Chanyeol smiled at his father. “Shin Jae-ya, go get your things now. We wouldn’t want our Baekhyun to wait, would we?” I felt something wrong but Chanyeol’s smile was so pure.

 

 

The next thing I knew, I had my backpack slung onto my shoulder and Baekhyun and I were walking down the street.

 

 

Oh, and did I mention that we’re holding each other’s hands?

 

 

“Seems like he already moved on,” he started. I looked at him, not knowing what he was talking about.

 

“What?”

 

“Chanyeol. He already got over you.” I blushed immediately. I playfully slapped his arm because of that.

 

“Yah, stop talking about that.” He laughed at my rant. Jeez, why am I even in love with this guy.

 

“Okay, okay.” He stopped for a while, which made me stop as well. “Say, are you free this afternoon?”

 

“Hmm, I guess so.” I nodded as I thought about it. “Yeah, I’m free. Why?”

 

“We have somewhere to go to.”

 

 

The whole day I nagged about where we are going, and he just kept telling me that it’ll be a surprise. I also said it to Chanyeol, and told me that it’s alright. As the final bell rang, I gathered my things and Baekhyun and I rushed outside the school. As we were buying ddeokbokki (for the nth time), I frankly spoke to him.

 

 

“Okay, so tell me where we are going or I’ll ditch you right here and right now.” He just took a bite off his portion and looked at me.

 

“Once we get there, I’ll tell you.” I rolled my eyes. I started to feel uncomfortable, as if Baekhyun will kidnap me or something. Why won’t he tell me? It’s so frustrating.

 

 

We arrived at his house after eating. Okay. What are we doing here? Is this a pit stop or something?

 

 

He held my hand as we were in front of the door. I looked at him, blushing at the sudden contact.

 

 

“Shin Jae.” His palms started to sweat. Okay, what is going on?

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I’m going to introduce you to my parents.” And the door opened.

 

 

I panicked. I didn’t even prepare! My hair’s a mess, and I’m wearing a somehow-looking-old school uniform. What if his parents won’t like me? Will we break up? What would I say? ‘Hello, I’m your son’s girlfriend, Lee Shin Jae.’? Oh God.

 

 

Waiting on the sofa was an old man on his wheelchair and an old woman assisting him. Baekhyun’s face looked like a mix of theirs.

 

 

Oh.

 

 

Baekhyun’s parents.

 

 

“Hello dear. Take a seat.” Baekhyun was still holding my hand as we sat down opposite to them.

 

“Good afternoon, sir, ma’am.” I bowed my head in respect. His mother smiled at me. She has the same smile as Baekhyun’s. I smiled back.

 

“Baekhyun, is she your girlfriend?”

 

“Yes mom. She’s the one I’m talking about.” Baekhyun smiled back at her. Okay, what? He’s talking to his parents about me? I don’t know but the sudden realization made me nervous.

 

“What’s your name, young lady?” His father was the one who spoke this time. He got this intimidating aura around him. I guess that’s where Baekhyun got it.

 

“I-I’m Lee Shin Jae.” I mentally cursed myself for stuttering. I felt Baekhyun squeeze my hand, silently telling me to not to be nervous. I’m glad about that.

 

“Oh, hello, dear Shin Jae. How long have you been together with my son?” His mother’s gentle voice set me at ease. Thank God.

 

“F-For three weeks now, ma’am.” His mother let out a soft laugh, as well as his father. Okay...is there something funny about being in a relationship for three weeks?

 

“Don’t be nervous, Shin Jae. It’s just us.” His father smiled at me, which turned his eyes into small curves. I was a little shocked when I realized how much Baekhyun looked like him.

 

“So, how did you meet my son?”

 

“We’re classmates, mom. Seatmates, actually.” While we were discussing on how I met this jerk beside me, Yoon Mi ahjumma brought a liter of juice and some cupcakes on the table that separates the two couches. She saw me and she smiled.

 

“Oh, Shin Jae.” Baekhyun’s mother looked at Yoon Mi ahjumma.

 

“Ahjumma, you know her?” Yoon Mi ahjumma looked at her.

 

“Oh, yes. She’s been here a few times already.” WHAT! Okay. Yoon Mi ahjumma just revealed that I already went here. But, the times I go here are actually the times when it was only the maids and Baekhyun around. I don’t want Baekhyun’s parents to think that I just come and go here as I please. Oh no no no no—

 

“Really? Why?”

 

“She takes care of Baekhyun a lot. She’s such a sweet girl, ma’am.” Baekhyun’s parents smiled at me, which blurred my thoughts away. Phew.

 

“Oh really? I can see why my son smiles so happily whenever he talks about you.” Baekhyun blushed at his father’s statement, on which I laughed.

 

 

The discussion went on. His mother showed me some of Baekhyun’s baby pictures, and I almost went out of breath. He looks so funny when he poses like an idiot, but somehow he managed to look cute at the same time. His mother gave me one for remembrance (on which Baekhyun protested at first, but somehow he can’t say no to us). I also learned that he has an older brother who is currently living at the states for some reason. His mother and I cooked dinner, and I’m really fond of her. She’s very nice and sweet, just like her son. I wonder where Baekhyun got his I’m-an--and-a-jerk genes because his parents seem to don’t have it.

 

 

After dinner, his mother said that Baekhyun should walk me home. So he did.

 

 

As we stepped outside their house, he told me that he forgot something inside and he’ll just get it.

 

 

While waiting, someone approached me as I was standing.

 

 

It was Jung Hae, one of my stepsisters.

 

 

“Shin Jae...” My blood boiled immediately. I remembered the times she treated me like I’m some trash, and I never wanted to see her face again after my happy day today.

 

“How are you?”

 

“You really ask me that question? What? And the next thing I knew, you’re grabbing a fistful of my hair and saying some bad things about me?”

 

“No...” She looked down. “I’m really asking how you’ve been doing. I...I swear, I didn’t mean all those things—“

 

“Who’re you fooling, Jung Hae? I saw the hate on those eyes whenever you see me.”

 

“Listen, Shin Jae. I’ll be honest with you. Please listen to me.” She took a deep breath. “I didn’t want this. I never did. We were in good terms when we were kids, right? But after your father...was gone, my mother told us that we should avoid you because you’ll bring us harm. She told Jung Ri and I that you’re secretly planning to take away all the riches we had—“

 

“That’s not true—“

 

“I know. But before my mother fully brainwashed us, I realized it. You’ve been so good to us after all those threatening and pain. I’m deeply sorry...” Jung Hae covered her face with her hands. “I’m so sorry for everything we’ve done. I just...”

 

“It’s okay, Jung Hae.” I slowly wrapped my arms around her. “It’s okay.” After her crying moment, she spoke again.

 

“Don’t tell anyone about this, okay? Pretend that you still hate me and such. But I promise, I’ll never hurt you again and I’ll do anything to make it up to you.” She glanced at our house. “This house is the house that you’re supposed to be living in...”

 

“Someday, things will be set right, Jung Hae. You should go home now, Mom’s probably worried about you.” She hugged me again, this time, tighter.

 

“Thank you for everything, Shin Jae.”

 

 

Just as she entered the door, Baekhyun went out of theirs.

 

 

“Okay, let’s get you home now.”

 

 

As we were walking (while holding hands) our way towards Chanyeol’s house, he apologized.

 

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I just...”

 

“No, it’s okay. Your mother’s so sweet, and your father’s so kind. I loved them.” He smiled at me.

 

“You know, I didn’t want to tell you because I wanted you to act normal. I wanted you to be yourself. Be natural. If I said it to you earlier, you would probably arrange yourself and try to practice on how you will act in front of them.” I blushed, knowing what he said was right. “If that happens, then you won’t be Shin Jae anymore. I wanted to show them the real you, the girl I loved, I love, and will continue loving in the future without any masks on. I hope you understand.” I almost cried at his sincerity. If that’s his reason, then it’s okay if he didn’t tell me about it earlier. I stopped walking. I held his hand tighter because I realized how much I love him.

 

“Why are you—“

 

 

I didn’t let him finish when I sealed his lips with mine. I kissed him, silently telling him how much I love him just the way he is. I really have fallen hard for him, and I’m glad I did.

 

 

“I just love you so much, you know that.”

 

“I know.”

 

 

And he pulled me in for another kiss.

 

 

**

 

 

One of my favorite chapters so far~ ^^ How about you? :)