Growing Up

Baek Seung Jo I'm done with you!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Four Years Later....

 It has been four years since Baek Seung Jo and Oh Ha Ni have been together. They have had a long and happy relationship. Of course they argue still but they have both slowly matured along the way.

Oh Ha Ni is now a successful nurse working for Seoul National University Hospital along with Baek Seung Jo who is now a doctor. He finished medical school early since he's a genius so not it's a surprise.

Even though both of them are now 25 years old now they both still live together in the Baek household. Eomoni has been trying extremely hard these past four years to get the lovely couple to marry.

From arranging secret parties,vacations, and attempts to drag them to the court house many times,all of Eomoni's plans have failed. Baek Seung Jo and Oh Ha Ni have had many talks with the stubborn Geum Hee.

Baek Seung Jo told his mother that him and Oh Ha Ni would get married after college but that has not happened. Baek Seung Jo didn't want his mother to control him or any part of his relationship with Oh Ha Ni. For once Oh Ha Ni had agreed with Baek Seung Jo to his surprise. Oh Ha Ni no longer participated in eomoni's marriage schemes.

Oh Ha Ni didn't want a forced marriage. She hadn't been ready for marriage and neither had Seung Jo. She wanted to get married until both of them were completely ready but now she felt like she was ready. On the otherhand though, Baek Seung Jo had told her he still wasn't ready. It had turned into a heated discussion that Oh Ha Ni never dared to bring up again. The discussion was a year ago.

She started to feel sad though because she started to feel as if Baek Seung Jo didn't desire her anymore like he did when they first started dating. She had those thoughts because she remembered that on one of those nights four years ago he told her he wanted to marry her. But then again like he had said he was in the heat of the moment like he said.

She wasn't completely sad though because she understood that at the same time they were both busy people. 

Today it was the first time in a long time that Oh Ha Ni had the day off. She was laying on her bed in her girly pink room that still hadn't changed over the years. Today was going to be a lazy day for her because she was sleepy from working long 12 hour shifts at the hospital.

Baek Seung Jo meanwhile still had to work at the hospital. Despite being a very successful doctor it isn't easy for him. The hospital staff often depend on him which pressures him. Being a genius in the real world isn't easy as it was when he was in school because you can't undo your problems like an equation. Baek Seung Jo was finally getting the real taste of life and realizing it isn't always about him.

Oh Ha Ni had grown more mature over the years. Of course she still had the same personality characteristics as before but she had learned to balance out her strengths and weaknesses. She had become smarter but still acted as a complete airhead when speaking. She was also still clumsy. One thing that would never change for Oh Ha Ni was her feelings for Baek Seung Jo. Everyday she felt as if she was falling more in love with Baek Seung Jo. She's loved him for eight years now.

 Baek Seung Jo and Oh Ha Ni have had a long and happy relationship. They still argue but that's just something that'll never change. They have overcome many struggles together along the way. Lately though, Oh Ha Ni has felt like Baek Seung Jo has become distant because everytime she is with him he is always with a patient.

The only time they get together is during their lunch and work breaks. Baek Seung Jo usually spends his time sleeping during those breaks which sometimes bothers Oh Ha Ni because she would rather have him spend that time with her. When he does sleep she stays there and watches him or she sits there and sleeps next to him.

Baek Seung Jo and Oh Ha Ni go on a date once a week. Baek Seung Jo makes sure the date last a whole day because he knows the time he has with Oh Ha Ni is very limited. He does his best to show her he cares because he knows she thinks he doesn't care. He hates seeing Oh Ha Ni feel that way. It is still hard for him to express his emotions. So he tries his best not to argue with her on that day. Lately they haven't been able to go on dates due to their busy work schedules and having different shifts.

 

 -----------------------------------------------------

 Oh Ha Ni was still sleeping in bed. She did not have the energy to wake up. Her whole body felt sore. She slept over twelve hours. Eomoni didn't bother to wake her up because she knew how stressful the job was. It was noon when Oh Ha Ni had woken up.

She wokeup looking like a complete mess. Her hair was all tangled up and there was drool all over her pillow. She looked like a complete bum. She was still very sleepy so she decided to go back to sleep. So she close her eyes again and started to drift back to sleep but she quickly jumped up once she heard her cellphone ring. 

She didn't feel like answering. She was too tired to do so. The loud ringing sound started to annoy her she quickly grabbed her cellphone and answered without checking the Called ID.

"Helllloooo...," Oh Ha Ni said tiredly.

"Hey, why did you take so long to answer?" Baek Seung Jo said.

"I didn't," Oh Ha Ni yawned.

"Did you just now wakeup?" Baek Seung Jo said. 

He sounded a annoyed. She knew he was going to be mad if he foundout she was still sleeping.

"Nooooo....," she lied.

"Then why were you yawning?" Baek Seung Jo questioned.

"I wasn't," Oh Ha Ni replied.

"You can't lie to me. I know you too well," Baek Seung Jo said.

 "Mmmm...well," Oh Ha Ni said.

"Well, you better get up you lazy bum. It's noon already and I can't believe you're still asleep. So get up," Baek Seung Jo demanded.

"Uggh but I'm so tired," Oh Ha Ni complained.

"I don't care now get up. I'm sure eomoni needs help around the house," Baek Seung Jo said.

"Do you not know how many hours I've worked?" Oh Ha Ni said.

"I'm a doctor. My job is more important than yours. I'm tired too but you don't see me complaining," Baek Seung Jo said.

"Fine, whatever. Ok well bye," Oh Ha Ni said.

"Don't me that attitude. Anyways, I was just calling to say that I'm off at 2:30 in the afternoon," Baek Seung Jo said.

Oh Ha Ni instantly felt excited. Her mood completely changed. 

"Really?!" Oh Ha Ni cheered.

"Doctor Baek," a nurse said. 

"Yes, now I have to go. Hurry and clean up," Baek Seung Jo said.

"Ok bye..," Oh Ha Ni said. But Baek Seung Jo had already hungup.

 Oh Ha Ni no longer felt tired. She was completely excited. She quickly jumped out of bed and raced to the shower. She took a quick shower and brushed her teeth.

She then went to her bedroom to change into a fresh set of clothes. She struggled to find a cute outfit. She decided to just put on a simple v-neck with sweats because she remembered she still had to clean. She would have to get ready to look cute after she was done cleaning.

She checked the time. It was 12:30 she had two hours left. Baek Seung Jo's shift was over at 2:30 so he would get home at 3:00 so she still had some time. 

"Uggh, I don't have enough time I got to hurry up," Oh Ha Ni said.

She quicly made her bed. Her room was already clean so she went downstairs really quickly to get something to eat.

 As she walked to the kitchen she noticed that there was no signs of eomoni and so she saw a note written on the kitchen counter.

My dear Oh Ha Ni,

I went out to out to run some errands. I didn't wanna wake you up so I left some food packed in the fridge. You don't have to worry about cleaning. I cleaned everything else so all you have to do is clean Baek Seung Jo and Eun Jo's room. Anyways, be home later so take care!

Love,

Eomoni 😊❤

-----------------------------------------------------

"You're really childish mother," Eun Jo said.

"Don't lecture me child," Geum-Hee said.

"I'm not a child. The only child around here is you," Eun Jo said.

"Hey! You little brat!" Geum-Hee snapped.

Geum-Hee pinched his cheek and stuck her tongue out at him.

"Aish,that hurts!" Eun Jo complained.

"Well, you shouldn't be so disrespectful to your mother,"Geum-Hee said.

"Whatever, where are we going anyways?" Eun Jo asked.

Geum-Hee was driving and Eun Jo was in the passenger seat playing with a rubik's cube.

"First we are going to pick your father up from work then we are going downtown to shop and eat," Geum-Hee cheered.

"Ugh, sounds boring. Why can't we just go home?" Eun Jo said.

"Because your brother is coming home from work early and him and Oh Ha Ni need some alone time," Geum-Hee said.

"I want to see hyung too!"Eun Jo said.

"Well, too bad you will have to wait until tonight," Geum-Hee said.

"I barely see him though," Eun Jo said.

"Yeah, well too bad. Do you want him to marry Ha Ni or not?" Geum- Hee said.

"Of course I do but it's not like he's going to propose today," Eun Jo said.

"Would you just shutup and let them spend time together instead of being a third wheel for once!"Geum-Hee snapped.

 Eun Jo was stunned by his mother's sudden reaction normally he could handle her crazy reactions but this time he could tell she was serious. So he decided to stay quiet for the rest of the drive. He could tell she was stressed but he didn't know why.

 The once small and playful child was slowly growing into a handsome young man. He is now 14 years old going on to 15. He was starting to look very similar to Baek Seung Jo. Puberty was truly blessing him.

 -----------------------------------------------------

Oh Ha Ni had finished eating some of the food that Geum-Hee had left behind.

She started to clean up after herself and made her way to Baek Seung Jo's room.

She slowly opened the door as if he was in there. She felt nervous for some reason though. It had been a long time since she had been inside the room.

She felt as if she would get in trouble for being in Baek Seung Jo's room. No matter how close Seung Jo and her had gotten he did not let her enter his room. She thought it was completely absurd for him to make that rule since he's always allowed to go into her room.

As she stepped inside the room she noticed that not much had changed since Seung Jo and Eun Jo were very simple guys. The room was still elaborately designed though despite being simple. 

The room was very neat though compared to her hers. There honestly wasn't much to clean up except to make the beds and pick up dirty close and organize a few books.

Oh Ha Ni finished making the beds. She tried to make them as neat as she could because she didn't want them to judge her later. She then organized the book shelf. She thought the room looked a little dusty so she grabbed the duster and started to dust out the dirt.

She then started to gather any pieces of trash and looked under the bed to gather some trash so she could vaccume. Under Eun Jo's bed it was really dirty. It was full of candy wrappers and junk food boxes. Oh Ha Ni shook her head in disgust and grabbed a bag to thow the stuff away.

She then hoped that under Seung Jo's bed that she wouldn't find a nasty surprise like she had with Eun Jo. She then took a deep breath as she reached under Seung Jo's bed. To her her relief it felt felt pretty clean. So she looked under the bed and to her surprise she saw a familiar looking box.

She got really curious and reached under and pulled out the box. She was shocked to findout that it was the box that contained all of her diaries. She didn't know how to react.

"How in the heck did he find this?" Oh Ha Ni thought.

She didn't know how to feel because it was a deep invasion of privacy. As she started to think about it she started to feel mad. 

So she opened the box and saw that all of her old diaries had still been in there. She started to panick and look through the box to see if anything had been missing. All the diaries were there. She couldn't believe that Baek Sueng Jo had read all of her personal things.

She was really angry now. She started to feel a sense of betrayal because all her experiences and deep thoughts had been exposed to Baek Seung Jo. She had wondered for how long had he had those diaries. She had so many questions in her head.

She then felt the door behind her open. She knew who it was instantly.

 "What are you doing in my room?" Baek Seung Jo said.

Oh Ha Ni didn't feel as if she had to give him an explanation. She stood up from where she was. She had a serious look on her face surprising Baek Seung Jo.

 "Why does she look mad. I'm the one that's so supposed to be the mad one here," Baek Seung Jo thought.

"Come on. Get out you're not supposed to be here," Baek Seung Jo said. He grabbed her arm and started to pull her out.

He didn't want her to look through his stuff.

Oh Ha Ni then slapped his hand out of the way. He looked stunned.

"The question is what were you doing in my room?" Oh Ha Ni said.

"What? What do you mean? I haven't been in your room," Baek Seung Jo said.

He was completely confused and caught off guard by Oh Ha Ni's random question.

"Oh really? Then how do you explain this?" Oh Ha Ni said. She pointed at the pink box containing the diaries.

Baek Seung Jo appeared completely surprised. 

Oh Ha Ni started to get annoyed by his silence.

"Would you just answer the question!" Oh Ha aNi snapped.

"First of all don't yell at me. I'll explain if you stop yelling at me," Baek Seung Jo said.

"I'll yell if I want to. In fact, I have every right to yell if I want to!" Oh Ha Ni yelled.

"And why is that?" Baek Seung Jo said.

"What do you mean why? You invaded my privacy," Oh Ha Ni said.

"I didn't invade your privacy," Baek Seung Jo said.

"Yes, you did because I'm 100% sure you went through them and read them," Oh Ha Ni replied.

"Don't assume stuff. You shouldn't have let your stuff hanging around then," Baek Seung Jo said.

"I had this box hidden. You would have to go through my stuff to find this box," Oh Ha Ni said.

"Man, I liked it better when you were dumber," Baek Seung Jo thought.

Baek Seung Jo didn't respond to her. He knew she was right. She had outsmarted him this time. He was busted.

She saw his reaction and knew instantly what he was thinking. She knew he hated it when she outsmarted him.

"I just hate how you went through and read through all my things because all those things were my private thoughts. The things I couldn't tell everyone else and the experiences I went through.You just destroyed that sense of privacy I had," Oh Ha Ni said.

"Then why did you leave those behind? If they were so important to you?" Baek Seung Jo asked.

"Because I was going to come get them later but I never got the chance to," Oh Ha Ni said.

"Either way someone still would've found it. If it wasn't me it probably would've been Eun Jo since that's his old room. You know," Baek Seung Jo said.

"You just don't get it do you?! That's where all my secrets are and stuff. Now I have none to keep," Oh Ha Ni said.

"I sorry for going through your stuff okay. Of course I wouldn't get it like you said because I never knew what it was like to have a journal until now," Baek Seung Jo said.

"What do you mean until now?" Oh Ha Ni asked curiously.

Baek Seung Jo then went and looked under his bed. He reached out and grabbed a silver box. He gave it to Oh Ha Ni.

"What is this?" Oh Ha Ni asked.

"Open it," Baek Seung jo said.

She obeyed and opened it. It contained a box of his own diaries.

"I started writing my own diaries four years ago when I discovered yours," Baek Seung Jo said.

Oh Ha Ni was surprised she didn't expect that all from him. She had so many questions now.

"When did you find my diary?" Oh Ha Ni asked.

"The day you moved out," Baek Seng Jo said.

"Why were you in my room though?" Oh Ha Ni asked.

"Because....," Baek Seung jo said. He hesitated to answer.

"Because why?" Oh Ha Ni asked.

"Just because. I kind of missed you...," he said.

Oh Ha Ni was overjoyed and hugged him and kissed him on the cheek making him blush.

" Uggh stop that," he said. He felt embarassed now.

He gave a small little smile as she looked away.

She grabbed one of the diaries he had. He then reached in her box and pulled out one of her diaries. He grabbed one of the diaries. He turned to a specific page.

"Read this first. Don't say anything once you're done reading. Just read it," Baek Seung Jo said.

"But why?This is mine let me read one of yours," Oh Ha Ni said. She started to open his diary which he quickly snatched from her.

"Hey!" Oh Ha Ni said.

"You have to read this first to understand. Now read it," Baek Seung Jo said.

"But why?" Oh Ha Ni complained.

"Just do it!" Baek Seung Jo demanded.

"Fine," Oh Ha Ni said.

She made a pouty face and stuck her tongue out at him. She started reading the page from her diary. She was shocked but Baek Sueng Jo told her to keep reading.

March 7, 2001

"Dear Diary,

Today I met the most amazing boy in the world! His name is Baek Seung Jo..

Baek Seung Jo is his name he told me. He had brown hair and the prettiest brown eyes.

I met him today. He seriously changed my life. Today I was about to take my life and end it all. End all the pain. I couldn't deal with it anymore. The constant bullying and father's betrayal. It was father's betrayal that made me want to do it.

I was coming home from school when I discovered them. Yes,them father and his coworker Jae Hee. I caught them kissing. I was really angry and yelled at him for what he did. I told him how could he betray mother and how could he betray me.

He had never made anymore time for me when he came home from work. He was going out every night so I never saw him around. He was the only person i wanted to be with and thought I could count on but he wasn't I had nobody. No friends. No nothing. I couldn't tell him about the bullying because he was never around and when I tried talking to him he would always say he was busy.

The kids in school bullied me because I'm not very smart and I'm very clumsy. I hated my life. They always pulled pranks on me. Today I was humiliated in front of everyone they brought up my mother. They said she died because she couldn't bear having such a stupid mother and that she was probably stupid enough to let herself die while giving birth. I hated all these kids and grew up with them. Our families all knew each other since Busan was a small place.

Anger grew so deep inside of me that had been building up all these years.I fought with the girl that had said all those things about my mother. I punched her across  the face and kept hitting her until she started bleeding and until the teachers pulled me away. I was blamed for everything and tried to explain to them but nobody listened. I couldn't bear it anymore and left school I couldn't deal with the pain no more.I didn't care anymore if I was going to get in trouble or not. It no longer mattered.

Since I skipped the rest of the school day I hoped to find dad at home. I knew dad was on his lunch break and would be home.I needed to tell him everything so I would no longer have to go to that school.

I had to let him know about the bullying. 

"Father!" I yelled. He and Jae Hee jumped up. I couldn't believe what I just saw. They were kissing.

"Oh Ha Ni, what are you doing here?!he said shocked.

"I came here to tell you I have been bullied all this time in school and now I find you kissing this woman?! No wonder you were always so busy after work.Because you were too busy kissing her! You never make time for me or care about what I have to say when I try to tell you!You never cared about me or mother! You betrayed her and me!" I told him.

That is when I ran to the river on top of the bridge.  I could hear father yelling and so I ran until I could no longer stop. I stopped once I reached the tall bridge with the rushing river water. I went far into the forest where the bridge was because I know nobody went there.That was always my hiding place.

I loved the forest it was the one place I can be alone and not deal with the world. The only place in Busan I loved.But today was going to be my last time there. I wanted to end my life in my favorite place in the world. 

I then cried as I stepped up on the top of the bridge. I let out my arms as I enjoyed my last moments of the fresh warm breeze of the wind. The smell of the trees and flowers around.The beautiful sound of the water. I closed my eyes.Tears fell down more and more and so I decided to move foward. I moved foward to end the pain. I finally felt like a butterfly as I stepped foward to fall to my death. Until....

I was shocked as soft strong arms held me back. I gasp and cried as they were pulling me up I tried to stop them but they were too strong. 

I then fell backward as I pulled up.I made the person collapse.I saw my chance and tried to jump again but I they grabbed me and we both fell to the ground.I started to cry and they started yelling.

"Are you an idiot?!Why you trying to kill yourself?! I looked up at the stranger's face and it was I beautiful young boy. The most beautiful boy I had every seen.

I couldn't stop looking at him and admiring his presence. I was shocked at such beauty he had. He looked worried. I realized he was still holding me and got nervous.

"Answer me you stupid girl!" He yelled.

"No!,you wouldn't understand?! I cried. I tried to get back up but he wouldn't me go.

"Let me go!"I yelled.

"No!Why would I?!" He yelled.

"Because you would be doing me a huge favor!" I cried. 

"Letting you die isn't a favor you idiot!" He told me.He looked into my eyes.I felt his heart beat fast.

"Please just let me go,"I cried.I finally stopped resisting. I was tired of fighting. Fighting with everything. I couldn't stand it anymore and just cried in his arms.

"Never," he said.

I expected him to pull me away and feel disgusted with me after all everyone else.Instead he pulled me closer and held me in his arms tightly.He let me cry in his arms until I stopped. I didn't know how long we just layed there on top of the bridge just gazing at the clouds and feeling the fresh air around us and the sound of the water.I was no longer crying.

"Your an idiot you know that," he said.

"I know I always have been,"I said smiling a little.

"I can tell," he said smiling.

"So what happened," he asked.

He then got up and held out his hand to help me get up and so I did. I told him everything.

"That's crazy. I can see why you would do that but you're still stupid for trying to kill yourself,"he said. He then gave me a little smack on the head.

"Owwww,that hurt," I said.It really did hurt.

"I barely hit you but of course a stupid girl like you wouldn't understand that," he said.

"So I really am too stupid to live then," I started to cry.I started to look back to the direction of the water to jump.

"No,I didn't mean it like that!" He yelled grabbing me.

"Yes you did!" I yelled. I started to resist and pull away. He was really strong and I was struggling. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter