(ƒ) Face Off ♜

Senior year

 

“Aish, I can’t focus!” Ellin groaned, putting her pencil down in frustration. “Me neither, I’m too annoyed and too tired from last nights shift” Gummi yawned.

“Unnie, are you still working at the gas station?” Ellin asked. “Nah, I’m now working at this auto place where I help fix cars. The work is so tiring but it pays well” Gummi said, fascinating both Ellin and Soyul

“Holy, you can fix cars? That’s so cool!” Soyul exclaimed “I know right? Aren’t I like the coolest Unnie you’ve ever had?” Gummi said, flattering herself. “Uh-huh” Soyul nodded, making the rest of the girls laugh.

“Are you sure this is a study group, Choa?” Shinwoo said, suddenly walking towards the girls who were sitting on a wooden table in the park closest to their school.

The girl's all turned their heads in surprise “Why is Shinwoo here, isn’t he an enemy?” Gummi asked unsurely “who knows who he is after Saturday” Minsun brought up.

“Oh right, I forgot to tell you girls that I may have invited Shinwoo to study with us…” Choa exposed. “Huh? Choa actually invited a boy to do something?” Ellin teased, making the girls, as well as Shinwoo, laugh.

“Yah! Stop it!” Choa grumbled.

“It’s okay Unnie, I also invited Gongchan to study with us but it seems like he won’t be showing up…” Minsun pouted. “Yah, Heo Minsun, do you like him or something? After Saturday you haven’t shut up about his scent and beautiful eyes” Choa accidently let out

“Choa! Shinwoo is sitting right there!” Minsun yelled, slapping her sisters shoulder. “Oops…” Choa giggled.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell him” Shinwoo reassured “I know that's a lie. Anways, I’ve always been quite direct when it comes to boys that I like so you can go ahead and tell him” Minsun revealed.

Suddenly Ellin began to laugh hysterically “what’s so funny?” Minsun asked, the other girl’s looking at Ellin like she was going crazy. “Remember that one time Minsun barged into Choa and I’s home room and confessed to a boy by yeslling “I like you bastard, here’s a cake, you better thank the god’s while you take each bite!”” Ellin reminded, making everyone laugh.

“Yah, why are you bringing that up? That was in 6th grade! We promised to forget those days!” Minsun whined, throwing her pencil at Ellin.

“As if Choa was any better. She once kicked a soccer ball in a guys face in order for him to look at her” Gummi reminded.

“Unnie!” Choa yelled, throwing a fit.

“Choa really did that?” Shinwoo asked, unable to breath from how funny the girls were being. “Now I’m scared when we have PE class…if your aim is that good, who knows what you could do” he fretted.

“Don’t worry, you won’t get any balls kicked in your face” Choa reassured.

“But why do I feel so offended now...” Shinwoo sighed, making the girl’s laugh.

 

“Why are you all laughing so much? I thought this was study session” Gongchan asked as he plopped his books on the table. “Look who decided to show up” Shinwoo said, moving over so Gongchan could sit.

“Better late than never, right Minsun-ah?” Gummi said, nudging her shoulder. “Quit it Unnie before I start calling you by your real name” Minsun mumbled to her.

“I heard that tomorrow our PE classes will be merged” Gongchan revealed. “Eh? Why? And with which class?” Ellin asked curiously. “Shinwoo’s. Classes 7 and 9 will be merged together. Apparently we’ll be playing soccer” Gongchan explained.

“Wait, you mean the girl’s and guy’s won’t be separated?” Minsun asked “Which means I’ll have to be near Jinyoung for a whole period?” Choa added, sighing in disgust. “Choa, you think that’s bad? Think about how we feel” Gummi said. “Think about how I feel! I sit right next to him!” Ellin added. "No, think about how I feel having to see his face for the past two years!" Soyul groaned.

“Yeah umm, just so you girl’s know, we’re kind of sitting right here, next to you, overhearing your conversation” Gongchan alerted. The girl’s all looked at him with blank expressions and shrugged "Yeah, we know" they replied in unision.

“They don’t care” Shinwoo laughed. “Yeah I don’t know why I thought they would” Gongchan said, shaking his head.

“I’ve been wanting to ask something actually” Gummi said, getting the boys’ attention “Why the hell did you two help us last weekend- no wait, this question is directed to you Shinwoo. Why’d you do it?” Gummi asked, suspiciously.

“Umm- I just know how angry Jinyoung get’s… I didn’t want something bad happening, that he would regret” Shinwoo replied. “As if he’d regret it” Ellin scoffed.

“What’s up with you and Jinyoung though? No one will tell us, not even him” Gongchan asked.

“It’s non of anyone’s business” Choa quickly replied, knowing that Ellin hated these kinds of questions the most. “You two just continue being friends with him, don’t mind us. Just know one thing, we have our reasons” Choa said. The two boys nodded and left it at that.

 

 

The next morning soon arrived and the girl’s were undeniably excited for PE class. “We are going to kick Jinyoung’s today!” Minsun cheered happily. “Uh-huh, let’s see how far his pretty boy looks can take him in a game of soccer” Gummi said with a determined expression on her face.

“But wait- won’t you be on his team? It’s only me and Soyul who’ll be able to kick his ” Choa said, confused.

“Nope, I had a little chat with the PE teacher” Gummi smiled as she zipped on the jacket of her tracksuit. “What did you say?” Soyul asked, full of anticipation. “I got him to let me make up the teams, and guess what? Us 5 are all on the same team while those 5 pretty boys are on the other” Gummi revealed, satisfied with herself.

“You know I love you, right Gummi?” Ellin said, giving her a high five. “This school was so boring without you girl’s” Soyul commented. “We know, we plan on continuing to spice up this boring school,” Minsun giggled.

 

The girl’s finished getting changed and then leisurely made it to the school yard where the PE teacher was waiting for all of the students. “You five, over there” he said, pointing to the right side of the field. The girls all shrugged and walked over to the goal post.

“Wait, they’re all on the same team?” Jinyoung asked, in disbelief at the sudden situation “Yes, is there a problem Jung?” the PE teacher asked, annoyed. “no sir” he quietly replied, scratching the back of his head. The girls all laughed and gave each other low fives.

“They totally planned this” Jinyoung muttered over to the 4 boys who stood beside him “must be” Gongchan said, smiling at Shinwoo as they pretended to not know a thing.

“Why, are you nervous Jinyoung?” Shinwoo asked, knowing it would trigger him. “Me? Nervous? Ha, since when have I ever been on a losing team? This will be a piece of cake” Jinyoung smirked, but even he couldn’t shake off the uneasy feeling in his stomach.

“I heard Choa’s really good at soccer, I don’t think this will be as easy as you think” Shinwoo alerted. “I know” Jinyoung mumbled under his breath.

“Huh? What do you mean you know?” Baro asked. “What? I didn’t say anything” Jinyoung ignored as he walked over to the left side of the filed.

“Jinyoung’s acting really weird” Sandeul said in a suspicious tone. “He’s probably just afraid his hair will get out of shape” Baro joked.

 

“Ok girl’s, this is what’s going down. Ellin, you block Jinyoung, Choa, you get the ball and pass it back and forth between you and Minsun, people will get confused since you’re twins. Soyul, I heard you knocked down every student in wrestling. We need your thighs to win this game."

"I have good strategy" Soyul smiled.

"Me, being the amazing goalie I am, will make sure these losers don’t get a single goal, understand girls?” Gummi said, putting her hand in front of the girl’s. “Got it” they cheered, putting their hands in the middle.

“It’s as if we don’t exist” a student on their team muttered. “Whatever, better for us, I’m too tired to even care” another said.

 

“Okay, enough chatting. Choa, Shinwoo, come center field. You two are doing the kick off” the coach ordered, pointing at the two students.

“Ooh, Choa and Shinwoo are doing the kick off” Soyul chuckled, “so you see it too?” Ellin laughed, “See what? How much of a thing Shinwoo’s has for her? You should see how he looks at her in class. I can see his eyes beaming all the way from the back of the room” Soyul revealed. “Wow, really? I knew it!” Ellin clapped.

 

Choa and Shinwoo stood in front of each other. While Shinwoo had a bright expression, Choa had determination plastered all over her face. “Don’t go easy on us, we’ll beat you just fine regardless” Choa said. “I wouldn’t even if you paid me” Shinwoo reassured.

“1..2..3!” the moment the coach blew the whistle Choa quickly kicked the ball out of Shinwoo’s reach and ran with it. She stormed towards the net faster than anyone could keep track of and shook off anyone who tried to get in between her and the ball. It only took her a few seconds to score a goal.

“What the hell just happened” Sandeul said, stunned. Jinyoung looked at the goal post in frustration “Sandeul, you couldn’t block it!” he yelled.

Choa smiled mischievously and dusted off her hands, “well this is no fun, you all ” she yawned. Choa walked up to the girls who ran towards her to give her high fives.

Jinyong’s anger began to boil and the moment the coach blew the whistle he quickly stormed towards the ball and kicked it forwards to right field. Ellin quickly ran in front of him and blocked him from moving, forcing him to pass the ball over to Baro. Ellin turned around and before she knew it, he kicked it back to Jinyoung who kicked it in the net.

“” Gummi heavily breathed. “It’s okay, it’s a tie, we can still beat them” Soyul encouraged.

The game went on for a while longer with neither of the teams scoring a goal. Every time Choa stole the ball from someone there was always someone blocking her. She spotted Minsun behind Shinwoo and she quickly kicked the ball towards her without a second thought. Unfortunately, her aim wasn’t very on point because instead of it reaching Minsun, it reached Shinwoo’s face.

“Shinwoo!” Choa yelled in shock. “Wow, Choa strikes again” Gummi and Ellin laughed.

 Choa quickly ran up to him to make sure he was okay, “Shinwoo, are you alright? I really didn’t mean to hit you” she said regretfully, placing her hand on his face. Shinwoo smiled and let out a laugh “why are you laughing! Can’t you see I’m worried?” she asked, frustrated. “Do you like me that much Choa?” he smirked. Choa scoffed and shook her head “Yah, Shinwoo, it’s really not like that, okay?!” she said, punching his shoulder lightly.

Jinyoung eyebrows furrowed at the sight of the two smiling. He quickly ran up to them in annoyance. “What do you think you’re doing, huh Choa?” Jinyoung yelled, “we get a penalty kick, right coach?” Baro asked.

“I’m really fine, it was an accident” Shinwoo defended. “Shinwoo what are you doing? Shut up” Jinyoung pressed.

“Well, if he says he’s fine then the game will go on as usual” the coach announced. “What the hell!” Sandeul groaned in frustration while Gongchan just smiled and shook his head “idiot, he must really like her”

“I’m so done with this! You girl’s are such cheaters. What do they have on you Shinwoo? Did you bribe him with something?” Jinyoung roared. “Whoa, calm the hell down. Stop accusing us of things we didn’t even do!” Minsun yelled as her and the other girl’s ran beside Choa.

“Jinyoung, they seriously didn’t bribe me” Shinwoo quickly cleared up.

“If you’re that upset then go ahead and take a penalty kick. I really couldn’t care less” Gummi smiled, crossing her arms in confidence.

“You know what? Screw you girl’s and this game. This is exactly why I don’t like playing sports with girls. You’re all full of dirty tricks!” he shouted. 

“Shut your mouth Jinyoung” Ellin spat, walking in front of him, only inches away from his face. “Aww, look at the poor baby, girls. He can’t handle that he has to work to win against us. Your precious ego! Want me to get you a bandage?” Ellin smirked, the other girl’s snickering behind her. “A bandage is too small for his ego, we should get him a cast with extra padding” Gummi chuckled.

“screw all of you, you think you’re all so great, don’t you?” Jinyoung spat.
“Well, next to you we sure are” Minsun grinned.

 “Are you guys not going to even defend me?” Jinyoung yelled at his four friends who stood silent, “well, maybe if you told us what’s going on between you and them” Baro replied.

“Okay, that’s enough for today. You all clearly don't know a thing about good gamesmanship ship. Go get changed back into your uniforms and get ready for next period” the coach ordered.

“Whatever” Jinyoung muttered as he made his way back to the school.

 

“Aish, it’s all your fault Choa” Sandeul said, annoyed. “Shut up whatever your name is. You think I would purposely kick the ball into Shinwoo’s face? If that were the case I would have done it to Jinyoung instead, or you” Choa shot back.

“Let’s just go inside and change. There’s no point in talking to these losers anyways” Baro said, putting his hands on both Gongchan and Shinwoo shoulders.

“Uhh… we’ll be there in a sec” Gongchan avoided as he looked over at Shinwoo. “What do you mean? You want to stay talking to them?” Sandeul asked, confused. “There’s nothing left to be said, let’s go” Baro said, taking both Gongchan and Shinwoo’s arms and forcefully dragging them off the school yard.

 

The five boys sat eating their food in silence. The only reason they were eating together was because they didn’t want any rumors spreading around that they got into a fight.

“I can’t take this silence anymore. We have to talk” Baro finally said. “There’s nothing to talk about” Jinyoung grumbled. “no, there is. I have a lot of questions, not only for you, but for Gongchan and Shinwoo too” Baro announced.

“I do too, actually…” Jinyoung said, putting his chopsticks down. “Where the hell were you two yesterday? We always meet after school and you two bailed” Jinyoung asked, directing his gaze towards Shinwoo and Gongchan who sat across from each other.

“We already told you, we had an after school study session” Shinwoo replied.

“Yeah, sure…” Sandeul mumbled. Truthfully, he knew exactly where the boys were yesterday afternoon. Baro was always too busy daydreaming in class to notice but Sandeul always overheard Shinwoo's conversations with Choa and it didn't take a genius to figure out that Shinwoo saw her more than just a classmate. But still, since he didn’t want to cause any more trouble, he didn’t say anything.

“And another thing, you and Choa seem real close, have you grown to like her?” Jinyoung suddenly brought up, leaning towards Shinwoo with curiosity. Sandeul's head immediately turned to Shinwoo in anticipation of how he would answer Jinyoung's question.

Shinwoo looked at Jinyoung for a moment and wondered if he could trust him and the rest of the boys with his secret. “Well, I...I don’t hate her nor do I dislike her so I guess you can say I do like her” Shinwoo finally answered. "It's not like I'm lying to them"  he thought. Gongchan smiled at Shinwoos response "smart answer" he thought. 

Jinyoung's expression, on the other hand, became stiff. “What...? But you know I hate her!” Jinyoung said furiously. “Yeah, but guess what Jinyoung? None of us know why you hate her, or the rest of the girls!” Shinwoo argued, the other 3 boys nodding at his response.

“Yeah, you need to tell us why. Aren’t we best friends?” Gongchan said, a little upset.

Jinyoung looked at his friends' disappointed faces and decided that he had to tell them something. “Alright, fine! You want to know what happened? Ellin and I use to date, okay?” Jinyoung said, lowering his voice to a whisper. He gained gasps and shocked expressions from all of the boys.

“I knew it!” Sandeul let out.

“I know all five of those girls from middle school until the end of freshman year. And...I ended up breaking up with Ellin because- because I needed to focus on studying, and now they all hate me. Happy now?” Jinyoung said, rolling his eyes in frustration.

“That’s it? They hate you that much because you broke up with their friend?” Gongchan asked suspiciously. “Yeah, that’s it” Jinyoung quickly replied.

“They’re seriously overreacting then” Baro said, shaking his head.

As Baro and Sandeul comforted Jinyoung, Gongchan and Shinwoo gave each other looks, looks that said that they didn’t quite buy all that Jinyoung was saying, and that they knew there must be something else that he was hiding.