(ƒ) Tension ☀

Senior year

“Move you losers” Choa muttered as she made her way to the front of the crowd, dragging along Minsun behind her. When she finally made it she looked at the list that laid in front of her carefully, forgetting the chaos that was going on around her. “Where the hell is my name” Choa said impatiently. “Unnie, you’re number 4!” Minsun chimed, shaking her sisters arm in excitement. “You beat out all these rude losers!” Minsun cheered “Well except Jinyoung but he’ll be nowhere on the list by the end of the year” Minsun laughed.

“Holy… I’m seriously number 4? Assa!” she cheered. “What number are you?” Choa asked eagerly. “number 7, my lucky number” Minsun smiled, “But unfortunately I didn’t beat out Gongchan” Minsun sighed.

“Ah, that’s right…I wonder what place Shinwoo is…” Choa said under her breath. She leaded her gaze back to the list and a satisfied smile appeared on her face “Number 5 – Shinwoo” she read. “Next time I’ll beat you by 5 spots” Choa said, determined.

“Unnie… look! Gummi is first!” Minsun suddenly alerted, pointing her finger to the top of the list. “Eh!? She’s first? Damn that girl barely studied, but why am I even surprised, she’s a genius” Choa smiled. “But Unnie… this means that…”

“Soyul!” Choa finished off. “, where is she anyways? I haven’t seen her at all this morning” Choa said worriedly.

“I don’t know, maybe Ellin or Gummi will know?” Just then, Gummi appeared beside the two girls, with a less than excited expression on her face.

“Unnie!” The girl’s yelled in unison.

“Soyul, have you seen her anywhere? She kind of disappeared from my side and I've looked everywhere for her!” Gummi said eagerly. “That’s what we were going to ask you!” Minsun replied.

“I’m sure she’s fine. I mean, Soyul is cool, she wouldn’t get mad at you for taking her place. It’s just the midterms list anyways. Who cares” Choa comforted.

“I know but… I kind of feel bad. We borrowed her notes and she helped us so much and… I ended up taking her place…” Gummi sighed.

“Unnie, don’t worry about it, okay? I’ll talk with  Soyul in class and I’ll make sure she’s alright” Choa patted Gummi on the shoulder and gave her a comforting smile. “Thanks Choa” Gummi smiled.

“So, where did that rascal Ellin place?” Minsun asked. “Our once last place queen is number 15! Can you believe it!?” Gummi laughed. “Our diva has come a long way!” Choa chuckled.

“Yah, I’m right here and can here you losers, you know?” Ellin said, as she approached the girls, her hands in her pockets.

“Ellin-ah” the girl’s chimed. “We better get to class, I seriously don’t want to deal with Mr. what’s his face bugging us about being 0.3 seconds late” Ellin sighed.

“This crowd is also pissing me off, you think these rich kids would wear deodorant or perfume but nope, they smell like dogs!” Minsun said, waving her hand in front of her face. “I seriously want to throw some free perfume samples at them” she continued, making the girl’s laugh hysterically before they made their way to their classes.

 

When Choa entered her class she immediately lead her eyes to the back of the room, where Soyul was usually seated. She smiled brightly once she saw her quietly sitting there, looking to be doodling on her notebook.

“Soyul-ah! Where have you been?! The girls and I were worried!” Choa said as she ran towards her.

“Why would you be worried? I went to the bathroom” Soyul giggled.

“Oh! Well that’s a relief!” Choa sighed.

“But I don’t get it, why were you girl’s worried? Thought I got abducted by one of the freaks in this school?” Soyul joked.

“No, it’s just… well, Gummi feels a littler guilty…you know… about-“

“about taking my place rank?” Soyul finished off.

“Y-yeah…” Choa let out awkwardly.

“Well, tell her not to worry, what bothers me more is Jinyoung being second! How the hell did that beat me?” Soyul raged.

“Yeah…come to think of it, how the hell has he been in the top 5 rank all these years? He was never this smart in middle school…” Choa pondered.

“Weird…” Soyul sighed. “Oh , the teacher is coming. Better go sit in my seat before he forces me to do 10 math problems in front of the class again” Choa groaned.

“As if you’d have a hard time doing them” Soyul chuckled.

 

“Quiet down class!’ the teacher yelled, making the class settle down. “Before we start the lesson I have a few announcements to make. As you all know, your midterm grades have come out. You’ll be receiving your midterm reports by the end of the day. You all have to get them signed by your parents by next week. Don’t forget, and don’t make me call your parents myself, got it?” he requested, or more so, demanded.

Soyuls body shivered at the sound of “parents”. She looked down at her desk and began to fidget with her hands.

“What am I going to do? I have to avoid this at all costs.”

 

It soon became lunchtime and the girls sat in the middle of the cafeteria, chowing down their food. Moments later, they heard the girls around the shriek and squeal. The five of them all looked up at each other with the same annoyed look, knowing exactly what was going on.

“F ing five” Ellin groaned as Jinyoung and his “gang” walked in. “seriously, how messed up is the taste of these girls? I feel so sorry for them, they are mere victims!” Ellin raged.

“Tell me about it, even after you telling everyone the truth, still, they remain to be utter idiots! Excusing him for his every disgusting act!” Choa fumed.

“But wait, why did we stop hanging out with Shinwoo and Gongchan again? I kind of don’t know the details except that Choa had an issue with them” Gummi asked curiously.

“Yeah, do we hate them or what? I’m not sure” Ellin laughed, “although they’re damn cowards for going back to hanging out with Jinyoung and his crew.”

“What happened on that day, Choa?” Soyul asked. “What day?” Choa asked, acting clueless. “The day me and you split up to find the rest of the girls. Ever sine that day you told me to tell the girls to stop hanging out with them” Soyul reminded.

Minsun sat there, shaking her head at her sister. Of course, being Choa’s twin sister, she knew anything and everything that happened to Choa before anyone else. “Me and Gongchan would have been dating by now if it wasn’t for you” Minsun joked, causing all the girls to laugh.

“Spill it Choa!” Gummi insisted.

“Alright, listen. Shinwoo… he… he’s an , okay?” Choa began.

“Why? What did he do? What the hell happened between you too? I swear you were both in love a few weeks ago” Ellin chuckled.

“Haha, NO” Choa said, giving Ellin a death glare and then continued, “look, I went to the rooftop to try to find you losers and Shinwoo happened to be there alone. Doing what? I don’t know. But anyways, he was being fishy since the morning and I knew something was up. He kept asking me about Ellin and then I thought “this guy must have a thing for her,” and knowing me, I asked him upfront if he did... and maybe I was kind of rude. Long story short, I accused him of being an and he got pissed off” Choa ranted.

“Kind of rude? You’re rude to him like 24/7” Minsun laughed.

“ANYWAYS, apparently that wasn’t the case…and….well…”

“And well what?” all the girl’s asked in unison.

“He confessed to me…that he likes me” Choa revealed.

“WHAT, HE CONFESSED HE LIKED YOU?” Soyul said a little too loud, causing everyone to stare at them.

“Soyul!” Choa cried in embarrassment.

Shinwoo was staring straight at her now, with an annoyed expression on his face. It was clear that he knew exactly what they were talking about now.

“, now he knows we’re talking about him!” Choa whined.

“So what? Who gives a about what he thinks. How could he confess to you while you were angry with him? This isn’t some k-drama. What an idiot” Gummi said, rolling her eyes.

“I know right! That’s what I said! But Minsun won’t understand and keeps saying I overreacted” Choa defended.

“Because you totally did!” Minsun insisted.

“Ugh, people won’t stop staring at us now, let’s get out of here, i'm full anyways” Gummi sighed. The girl’s all put their trays away and made their way to the bathroom.

While on their way out, their eased expression quickly became annoyed. “Our luck is utter ” Minsun sighed as 5 boys stood in front of them.

 

“Funny, you were just the girl’s I wanted to see” Jinyoung smirked.

“That doesn’t sound creepy at all” Choa said, sarcastically.

“You girls seem awfully happy, I’m quite shocked. But I know one of you isn’t as happy as you seem” Jinyoung smiled smugly.

“And who the hell would that be?” Gummi asked with a completely disinterested tone.

“Soyul” Jinyoung simply replied. “You should be the first one that knows that, right Gummi?”

“Shut up Jinyoung” Soyul spat.

“Why? Let me guess, you’re acting like you don’t care, right? Well, let’s see how little you care once your dad finds out. You girls will probably never see her face again” Jinyoung chuckled.

“Did you not hear her when she told you to shut up!” Ellin shouted.

 

“You girls are so cute, defending each other all the time. It’s all going to fall apart soon. Soyul will soon ditch you girls and the rest will follow. There’s no such thing as friendship in this school” Baro said.

“Yeah, we can see that when we look at you five” Minsun replied, making the boys turn silent from her burn. “I mean, I thought Gongchan and Shinwoo were friends with us until I remembered that they follow every stupid thing Jinyoung tells them to do. I guess we were wrong girls, they aren’t different after all” Minsun continued.

“Hey, that’s not how it is!” Shinwoo defended.

“It’s called loyalty, might want to get a dictionary and look it up, especially you Ellin” Sandeul responded.

“Don’t even start!” Ellin snapped.

“Look, the reason why Gongchan and I stopped hanging out with you girls is because of Choa, okay? Not because of Jinyoung, but because Choa just can’t handle-“ Shinwoo suddenly stopped mid sentence and shook his head. “Just nothing” he sighed.

“Can’t handle what?” Choa asked with a smirk. “Can’t handle your confession?” she finally let out, making the rest of the four boys look at Shinwoo in confusion.

“What the hell does she mean “confession”?” Jinyoung questioned.

“Oh, but I thought you 5 were friends? Shinwoo didn’t tell you? He has a big crush on me, but I rejected him. That’s why we aren’t hanging out, right Shinwoo?” Choa grinned. Although she was half lying, she just couldn’t help herself. Choa felt bad for Shinwoo, but when Choa gets riled up, she goes all the way.

“But you didn’t reject me, you ran away” Shinwoo suddenly replied, making the 4 girls now look at her in surprise.

“What the hell is going on with you two” Baro asked, annoyed at the current ambiguous situation.

“Let’s- let’s go” Choa said, dragging all of the girl’s along with her.

 

“Shinwoo, what was that all about? What aren’t you telling us? Are we seriously going to go back to being this way?” Sandeul asked impatiently.

“You talk as if it’s all their fault that our group is falling apart” Gongchan suddenly commented.

“Because it is!” Baro yelled.

“But it’s not!” Gongchan yelled back.

“You have got to be kidding me” Jinyoung sighed. “You two are really something” Jinyoung said, looking at both Shinwoo and Gongchan disappointingly.

At that moment, Shinwoo could no longer take it anymore. Having Jinyoung, Baro, and Sandeul look at him and Gongchan like they were some sort of criminals, he just couldn’t let it go on for any longer.

“Why am I even trying to hide it from you guys? Why do I even feel the need to? Maybe it’s because I know you’ll pull out this bs that we’re being disloyal to you guys. Did you ever think it was the other way around? Maybe you three are being ty friends to us?” Shinwoo began. “Fine, it’s all true. I confessed to Choa and I like her. She hates me right now but you know what? I’m going to beg her to forgive me now. Before I was just going to go with the flow of things, but not anymore. Why should I when all I’m getting in return is a bunch of ty friends? You three can call me when you’ve figured out who the real bad guy is” Shinwoo raged before he turned around to leave.

Gongchan shook his head at the rest of the guys before he left to catch up to Shinwoo.

“These girl’s have done everything I predicted them to do… and they’re going to pay” Jinyoung mumbled with his fist clenched.

 

 

Two weeks quickly passed by and Shinwoo and Gongchan noticeably began distancing themselves from Jinyoung, Baro, and Sandeul, despite their efforts to not let the rest of the school know. The girls felt kind of bad for them until the female students at chrome began to annoy them about “breaking F5’s bond”. Gongchan and Minsun also secretly started hanging out with each other again. The gang all knew about it but didn’t mind it since they kind of wanted Minsun and Gongchan to finally start dating. Shinwoo also tried to get Choa to listen to him but she managed to avoid him every time, but Shinwoo just couldn’t wait any longer, he had to find a way to talk to her.

Finally he saw his chance. Choa decided to show up to class before the bell rang for once and Shinwoo decided to take the few minutes he had before class started to talk to her. He prayed under his breath that she wouldn’t go walk over to Soyul’s desk until the bell rang, and to his surprise, she didn’t and walked straight to her desk, pulling down her headphones and plopping the books she had in her bag on her desk. She sat down and immediately began playing a game on her phone.

 

Shinwoo gathered his courage and after a few moments, decided to say something to her. “Ch-Choa… can I talk to you for a minute” he requested in a quiet voice.

Choa's heart sunk a little and she invisibly face palmed herself. “Can’t you see I’m busy” she said coldly, trying to avoid the situation.

“Look Choa, I have to talk to you, even though a class room filled with students isn’t my ideal setting, It seems I have no other option since you always find a way to avoid me” Shinwoo brought himself to say.

Choa sighed deeply and finally put down her phone. “Shinwoo, what is it you even have to say to me? Will it change anything? Because I’m sure it won’t so don’t waste your time. Let’s just get through this year quickly, okay?” Choa said seriously, looking straight at him for the first time in a while.

“How do you know that? Why can’t you even give me a chance? We barely even know each other so-”

“that's just it, we barely even know each other so how the hell do you expect me to believe you actually…like me” Choa cut off, mumbling the last part. Before Shinwoo could speak, their teacher came in.

 

Shinwoo sighed in frustration and quickly wrote in his notebook, ripping out the paper and sliding it to Choa.

Choa glared at him in annoyance before opening up the note.

“Meet me on the rooftop at the beginning of lunch. I’ll wait until you come”

Choa groaned at his persistence “why the hell is he trying so damn hard” she thought.

“But why the hell am I avoiding him so damn much” she pondered.

 

“Soyul! It’s been 2 weeks and you still haven’t handed back your signed midterm report card. If you don’t get it to me by tomorrow I’ll have to suspend you” the teacher suddenly yelled.

Soyul sighed in frustration and agony at the thought of her having to face the situation.

Choa looked behind her to look at Soyul’s distressed expression. “Why hasn’t she gotten it signed yet…is she really that forgetful? Or is being third place just really that bad?” she worried.

 

When the lunch bell rang, Choa quickly put her books in her bag and walked over to Soyul. “I’m starving, let’s go find the rest of the gang so we can eat” Choa said impatiently.

“Uhh, alright but I need to go somewhere first, come with me?” Soyul said with a mischievous grin on her face.

“Ugh, alright, where do you need to go? The library?” Choa asked.

“Uhh, sure” Soyul said, laughing at how clueless Choa was.

 

“Where the heck are you going dumbo, the library is this way?” Choa pointed, but Soyul continued to walk, hand griped tight around Choa’s wrist. “and why are you holding on to me like I’m about to fly away” Choa questioned suspiciously.

“Because you might just do so” Soyul giggled as she began to walk up the stairs leading to the rooftop.

 

Choa’s mind finally started working and things began to click, but it was too late.

“I’m going to KILL you Soyul!” she yelled as Soyul kicked open the door to the rooftop and dragged Choa over to Shinwoo.

“Well, I did my part, now pay up” Soyul smiled. Shinwoo chuckle and handed Soyul 10 dollars.

“Are you KIDDING me right now? You bribed Soyul to make me meet you? And for 10 lousy dollars? Isn’t that like 10 pennies to you rich folks?” Choa yelled, stunned by the situation. 

“Ehh, you think my parents give me 500 dollars allowance? I spent all my money on sushi last week so I’m in need of some cash, okay?” Soyul defended.

“Jeez, how much serving’s did you eat? 500?” Choa joked.

“So what if I did? Anyways, I’m outta here. Seeya!” Soyul chimed, quickly running away.

“Soyul!” Choa yelled. “Idiot I can just follow you out” Choa mumbled, but as she began to walk away, Shinwoo latched his hand onto her wrist.