Why can’t you look me in the eyes

Senior year

“Min- Minsun-ah, are you okay? Why are you crying? Who the hell did this to you?” Gummi bombarded Minsun with questions, shaking her with her hands on each side of Minsun’s shoulders. Gummi had just left Ellin’s dorm and was heading towards hers until she spotted Minsun, her mascara smeared all over her face and her nose and cheeks bright red from the cold. “Who did this to you?!” Gummi exclaimed once again, this time in a higher voice “once Gongchan finds out he’s going to totally teach that person a lesson” Gummi commented under her breath, but her eyes quickly opened wide in shock at the sound of Minsun’s first words,

“He did this to me, Gongchan…” Minsun finally uttered. Choa was also behind Gummi and was about to run next to her sister but came to a halt at the sound of what Minsun had just said. One of the few characteristics Minsun and Choa shared was their lack of patience; they never wasted any time, not even when they should.

Choa immediately turned around with annoyance plastered on her face. She was heading to Gongchan’s dorm door. Once Minsun had realized what her sister was doing, it was too late,

“YA, GONG CHANSIK!” Choa yelled, pounding on the door. “Open the damn door before I kick it down!” she continued to yell. “Choa, stop!” Minsun yelled, she ran to her sister and pulled her away from the door, tightening her grasp around her wrist in order to restrain her from knocking again, “he isn’t going to answer the door anyway!” Minsun continued.

“You think I care if he opens it or not? I’m going to open the door by myself” Choa stated angrily, “Unnie! Just don’t! Okay? I’m going to kill him, not you” Minsun said with clenched fists. “Yeah Choa, let’s just give it a rest today… or else we’re going to wake up the whole floor” Gummi recommended. Choa just nodded as she looked at her sister worriedly.

 

“Okay so first off, what the heck happened!?” Choa asked her sister who was sitting on her bed, eyes puffy and nose still red from the cold, or maybe that was also because of all the crying she just did. “Ya, Choa, your sister was just crying, you should be asking her delicately” Ellin scolded, sitting next to Minsun and patting her shoulder. All of the girl’s were in the twins’ room now. Ellin and Soyul heard Choa’s yelling from their room, thus making there way to the twins’ dorm.

Minsun shook her head “I’m… too embarrassed to even say… the fact that you’re all seeing me cry like this is bad enough… letting you know why would throw all my hard work in the garbage” Minsun said.

“Minsun-ah, you don’t have to act tough in front of us, you know we won’t judge you or take advantage of you, we’re your friends” Soyul comforted.

“I know but… I’m embarrassed of myself… I’m judging myself,” Minsun suddenly admitted, patting her chest with her hand.

“If you don’t tell us how are we going to figure out how to deal with Gongchan? Do we yell at him? Do we ignore him? Do we throw dirty dish water at him from the balcony? Do-”

“I think she gets it Ellin” Gummi interrupted with a small laugh.

Minsun let out a small sigh “I’m going to deal with him. That’s the only way I’ll be satisfied,” Minsun told the girls.

“So you really aren’t going to tell us what went down?” Ellin pouted. “We should leave girls, so she can at least tell her sister. It’s probably overwhelming for her to tell all of us right now” Gummi advised. She forced all of the girls up until,

“he said he loves me” she suddenly confessed. At the very sound of that, all of the girl’s immediately plopped down on the bed beside her, as if gravity had just forcefully pulled them all there, or as if Minsun was some sort of magnetic force.

She was then bombarded with questions, as she expected would happen “the do you mean he said he loves you!?” Choa exclaimed, “you were crying because he said he loves you?” Soyul commented, “this makes no sense” Gummi added, “are you on your period?” Ellin asked, genuinely concerned.

“Aish… this is why I didn’t want to say anything!” Minsun grumbled. “Yes he said he ‘loves me’ but that’s obviously not why I cried you idiot, and it isn’t going to make sense because I didn’t tell you the full story and I won’t either, and NO I’m not on my period!” Minsun yelled at the four.

“Yeah, we should go” Ellin nodded, picking up her things, the rest of the girl’s following. “Feel better, okay Minsun-ah” Gummi said hugging her before she quickly left the room since Minsun looked like she was about to throw everybody out the window.

“Where the heck do you think you’re going” Minsun called at her sister halfway out the door, the rest of the girl’s couldn’t help but die laughing, “I was just saying bye, geez” Choa said, quickly walking back inside and closing the door behind her.

 

Choa slowly sat next to her sister, “So, are you going to tell me the full story then?” Choa asked seriously. “No” Minsun replied, Choa shot her a confused and annoyed glare “what!? I’m your sister!”

“Give me some time Choa…can you just sleep next to me tonight…” Minsun mumbled, Choa sighed at those words. She put her hand on her sister shoulder and nodded “alright, but you know I’m always here when you want to talk, okay?” she said, giving her sister a warm smile.

 

The next morning, Minsun walked into the kitchen and saw non-other than Gongchan sitting at the table and eating breakfast, but she was fully prepared for this. Gongchan looked up at her, and felt the intensity rise once they locked eyes. Although his stare made Minsun’s heart sink a little she had trained herself to deflect all of these feelings from appearing on her face. She only met eyes with him for half of a second but her cold emotionless gaze seemed to hit Gongchan hard, Minsun still continued to act like she didn’t even care for his existence. Gongchan was in utter disbelief; he couldn’t believe what was happening, his eyes continued to follow her every movement and the more he looked at her the more he felt himself go insane. “Isn’t she going to say something to me? What the hell is this?” His eyes only detached from hers once Sandeul and Baro sat across from him. Soyul, Ellin, and Gummi also walked into the kitchen and greeted Minsun warmly.

 

“Gongchan, you seem a little… anxious? What’s wrong? Did you quickly chug down a cup of coffee or something?” Sandeul asked with a chuckle.

“Eh? No, I’m fine…never been better” he purposely articulated loud enough for Minsun to hear. All of the girl’s except Minsun turned their heads to look at him, giving him a dirty glare.

“I’m seriously going to throw this egg at him” Ellin whispered to Minsun, Minsun let out a laugh “Ellin-ah, don’t even worry about it! I actually have a date later tonight” Minsun said loudly enough for everyone to hear. At those words, Gongchan, as well as everyone else’s, eyes widened in shock or confusion.

“Gongchan… are you two playing some sort of game with each other… she’s joking right?” Baro asked, letting out a dry laugh. Baro was usually quick to sense situations but this one was just too random for him to even decipher.

“She’s… she’s lying” Gongchan said to him, but his gaze was still on Minsun who was also now staring back at him.

“Why do you look so shocked Gongchan, huh?” Minsun asked with a laugh, she crossed her arms and approached the table he was sitting at, “I mean, wouldn’t you expect a girl to move on from the guy she once liked after he leaves her out in the cold crying?” Minsun said with clenched teeth.

Gongchan was steaming now, he got out of his seat infuriated “wait what? You’re really going to play the victim now Minsun?” Gongchan yelled, Minsun just continued to stare at him without saying anything. “You said I was bullting after I confessed all my feelings to you, but yet you’re going to act like you’re the victim, you’re such- such a...”

“A ? Is that what you want to say? Yeah I’m a , are you just figuring that out now?” Minsun interrupted him, she was yelling now.

Gongchan shook his head at her in anger “what the heck Minsun! That wasn’t even what I was going to say!” Gongchan yelled back. “you always jump to conclusions, that’s all you ever do. If you just sat down to think things through once we wouldn’t even be having this conversation” Gongchan insulted.

 

“Damn, and I thought Choa and Shinwoo’s fighting was bad? That was child’s play compared to this” Baro whispered, nudging Sandeul.

“Should we like… stop them or something?” Sandeul asked as he watched the chaotic scene in front of him.

“Just leave them to fight it out…” Gummi added as she stood beside the two with her arms crossed in frustration. They both turned their heads to look at her “No Gummi, Minsun will seriously kill Gongchan at this rate” Baro said worriedly.

 

“How am I not a victim in this? Sure I was rude calling your feelings bull, but can you blame me?” Minsun retorted, “Are you serious right now?” Gongchan scoffed. “Answer my question then Gongchan, explain to me how the hell you could actually ‘love’ me and yet never show any sight of interest that you even wanted me to be your girlfriend!” Minsun asked, squinting her eyes at him mockingly.

“I don’t know, maybe because you’re so damn afraid of commitment? Maybe because you give the feeling that you don’t take relationships seriously? Everyone picked up the hints that I wanted you to be my girlfriend, everyone but you because you just ignore anything serious!” Gongchan replied angrily.

Minsun let out a deep sigh “men honestly make no damns sense! They not only expect you to just know how they feel but they also expect you to match to their emotions right away. I use to think you were different, but you’re just the same. Why did you even ditch Jinyoung? You’re just like him!”

“You’re going way to far Minsun!” Gongchan roared.

“And what, does a meteor have to hit you in the face for you to see I wanted to take our relationship to the next level? Everyone knows I like you, you know I like you. You’re honestly making no sense. Let’s just stick to your plan of never speaking to each other again!” Minsun shouted before she stomped out of the room.

 

Everyone stared at her as she left the room. Gongchan looked like he was on the verge of crying, he could barely hold himself up. “Yeah… maybe we should have stopped them…” Gummi finally mumbled to Baro. “Unnie… this is so bad… this is the worst fight I’ve ever witnessed in my life, they may honestly never make up” Ellin said worriedly.

“Aish…. Heo twins… let’s see what Choa thinks first, I’m sure she’ll have a plan…” Gummi sighed.

 

 

“So let me get this straight, they’re fighting because… because they both like each other but…but neither of them were showing it…? I’m- I’m so confused. How does a fight like this even happen?” Shinwoo asked, still not comprehending the situation.

“I don’t even know, apparently Minsun said Gongchan was bullting when he confessed that he loved her so I guess that triggered him to be rude to Minsun which triggered her to want to make him feel as ty as she felt last night…She must have agreed with what Gongchan said…” Choa suddenly realized.

“Wait… what?” Shinwoo asked, even more confused.

“Minsun… she would have chased after him right away and yelled at him or something but she didn’t. She sat in the cold and cried, that is not Minsun. He must have said something to make her feel guilty,” Choa explained.

“I can’t believe these two beat us at being the messiest couple from chrome high,” Shinwoo said, letting out a laugh.

Choa laughed along “You’re forgetting the messiest, Ellin and Jinyoung” Choa reminded. “But they aren’t a couple or close to being one” Shinwoo replied, “won’t be long until they are” Choa said.

 

 

Exams were fast approaching and Ellin had an essay that she needed books for so she decided to finally stop being lazy and head to the library. She stood between the bookshelves, lazily looking for the books she wrote on a list. “Finally, found one!” Ellin whispered as she put her hand on top of the book. She was about to pull it out until a hand came out from behind her and was placed on top of her hand that was on the book.

Ellin quickly flinched and turned around “J-Jinyoung? W-what the heck is wrong with you!” She said out of breath, her hand on her chest from the scare she just received. “S-sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you, are you okay” Jinyoung asked regretfully.

Ellin just looked at him before she shook her head and was ready to turn around. Obviously Jinyoung wasn’t going to let her get away that easily so he quickly put his hand on both of her shoulders.

Ellin’s heart sank, but it wasn’t because she was scared. “Jung Jinyoung…let go of me” she said, looking down at her feet. She couldn’t look him in the eyes for some reason.

“Why can’t you look me in the eyes?” Jinyoung asked. “B-because we’re too close! Why are you doing this to me Jinyoung!” Ellin asked out of breath. Jinyoung just stared at her for a moment. She looked nervous and he had never seen her like this. He knew something was up. “Why are you acting so strange? Why aren’t you yelling at me like before? Why are you so nervous whenever you talk to me” Jinyoung began to unconsciously move closer to her as he spoke “why are you so…” Ellin was freaking out now, their noses were close to touching and all of a sudden Jinyoung stopped talking. They looked at each other in dead silence and Ellin knew what was going to happen next, she could see it in Jinyoung's eyes and she didn’t know how to stop it until suddenly when Jinyoung put his hand on Ellin’s cheek, she spoke

“I have a boyfriend”