(ƒ) Mixed Feelings ♨

Senior year

It was still lunchtime and Ellin slowly walked over to the cafeteria to meet her friends. For some reason she wasn’t eager to tell them about what just happened. I mean, she wanted to tell them about what the teacher did but she didn’t want to tell them about the parts that involved Jinyoung. They would see that Ellin was beginning to trust him again and she knew they would have a problem with that. Even Ellin herself had a problem with that. Ellin was confused and angry and all these contradicting feelings were beginning to make her feel exhausted. Her mind told her she still hated Jinyoung but she knew deep down that she was beginning to see him as something other than the guy she hated. She was beginning to see him, not as a little boy she had a crush on in middle school, but as a man.

 

Either way, Ellin dragged herself to the cafeteria. “You have to tell them Ellin, they’re your friends!” Ellin convinced herself. She scanned the cafeteria until she locked eyes with Gummi, who was now waving at her to come over. Ellin quickly walked over and sat down. “Ellin, where did you run off to?” Gummi asked, worriedly. “Lunch is almost over dummy! Want me to go get you food?” Choa asked.

“No, no. I’m… I’m not hungry… I lost my appetite” Ellin refused. “Eh? Lost your appetite? How? You’re Ellin” Minsun joked.

“Guys… actually, I have something to tell you all” Ellin took a deep breath while her friends all nodded and were silently waiting for her to begin “I-” right when she was begin to speak, two people sat at their table.

“Aish, can’t you guys see we’re having a girl talk?” Minsun said, jokingly rolling her eyes at Shinwoo and Gongchan.

“Girl talk? So we’re excluded then? That’s unfair” Gongchan pouted. “Cry me a river” Minsun said, stuffing a piece of bread in his mouth.

“Aish, you two should just leave, clearly” Gummi pointed at Minsun and Gongchan. “And what about Shinwoo and my sister?” Minsun asked, crossing her arms.

“What are you talking about?” Choa asked, cluelessly. “Whether you two are aware of it or not, you’re both dating but it’s like a secret that everyone knows but the two of you and it’s really annoying!” Minsun said.

“You’re wrong Minsun” Shinwoo began, “it’s a secret everyone knows but Choa” Shinwoo said, making everyone laugh.

“Excuse me? We aren’t dating, sorry to break it to you” Choa rejected, rolling her eyes.

While everyone was laughing at the table, Ellin sat there with a blank face. She wasn’t even paying attention at this point. All that filled her mind were thoughts about what had just happened. Her friends weren’t paying attention to her anymore and a sudden feeling hit her heart that she didn’t want to admit; she wanted to see Jinyoung. He was the only one who knew and she wouldn’t have to go through the stress of explaining anything to him. She just wanted to be comforted by someone.

 

And then suddenly, something caught Ellin’s attention. Her head turned to the side and there he was, standing by the entrance doors to the cafeteria. He was staring at her, his gaze stayed set on hers for a while. Ellin felt her face get hot as the seconds went by. Jinyoung then slowly nodded at her, as if to tell her that he’d be waiting for her. Jinyoung was then out of sight, making Ellin snap out of her daze.

“I’m gonna go…” Ellin said under her breath, she got up and left. What Ellin didn’t know was that Gummi was watching her the whole time. She saw Ellin and Jinyoung’s ‘moment’ and knew that Ellin left to go see him. Gummi’s thoughts were now scattered in confusion. “What’s really going on?” she thought silently.

 

Ellin ran outside the cafeteria doors and scanned the halls to soon find Jinyoung leaning against a wall, waiting for her. The minute she saw him she began to regret running to meet him. “What am I doing here…?” she thought. Feeling afraid, she turned back ready run back to her friends.
“Ellin-ah, wait!” Jinyoung called, running to her and putting his hand on her shoulder, making her turn around to face him.

“J-Jinyoung, I’ll see you later okay” those words quickly fell out of Ellin’s mouth like a reflex. “Ellin, what’s wrong? Why do you seem so…uneasy? Is it because of that criminal? I’m not going to hurt you, don’t worry” Jinyoung assured, putting his hands on both sides of her shoulders.

Ellin quickly pushed his arms away from her, it’s not that she was angry at Jinyoung, she was afraid that someone would see them. “Jinyoung, don’t do this kind of stuff in public, people can’t know that we’re-“ Ellin suddenly stopped mid sentence because she didn’t even know what it was that her and Jinyoung were.

“We’re what Ellin? That we don’t hate each others guts anymore? That we’re not on bad terms?” Jinyoung asked, waiting for an answer, but Ellin just stared at him.

“Jinyoung… I- I want to go home…” Ellin suddenly said. “Will you take me home? I mean, I know school isn’t over yet and that you wouldn’t want to miss class but I just really don’t want to be in this school right now…and I don’t feel safe walking home alone” Ellin let out.

“Let’s go” Jinyoung said without hesitation. He grabbed her hand and pulled her outside.

 

They both ran over to a fence, hand in hand. “We have to jump over it…the main doors are closed” Jinyoung alerted. “I know, you think I haven’t skipped class before?” Ellin laughed. “True” Jinyoung replied, scratching the back of his head and letting out a dry laugh.

“I’ll help you up” Jinyoung said, crouching down and signaling Ellin to get on his back.

“What are you doing? I can get over by myself,” Ellin said confidently. She put her hands on the edge of the fence and tried to pull herself up. But she failed. “Aish” she raged, embarrassed.  “That’s why I’m telling you to get on my back, silly” Jinyoung laughed. Ellin gave in and awkwardly placed herself on Jinyoung back, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Is this some sort of trick?” Ellin joked, trying to break the silence. “No, I promise” Jinyoung chuckled.

Jinyoung stood up and stood beside the fence, allowing Ellin to easily get on top of the ledge. “How are you going to get up? Let me help you” Ellin offered, letting out her hand. “Don’t worry, I’ve done it before. Go down before someone sees you!” Jinyoung told. Ellin nodded and jumped down and was now waiting for Jinyoung to get to the other side.

Surprisingly, a few moments later Jinyoung stood in front of Ellin. “Well, you were a jumper in middle school” Ellin reasoned. “Still am” Jinyoung smiled. “Now let’s go” Jinyoung said, taking Ellin’s hand, but she quickly slid out of his grasp.

“Jinyoung, let’s just…walk normally…” Ellin said, showing discomfort to Jinyoung’s skinship. Jinyoung nodded in understanding “sorry…it just…happened” Jinyoung sighed.

The two began to quietly walk side by side. The atmosphere was awkward but neither of them knew what to say. Ellin just couldn’t wait until she got to her house so she could go home, make some tea, and snuggle in bed while thinking about all of the things that happened today. She desperately wanted to scream into her pillow.

“So…did you tell anyone what happened today?” Jinyoung suddenly asked. Ellin turned to look at him and let out a sigh “I was about to but…I got interrupted by those hooligans” Ellin said.

“Hooligans? What? Are Baro and Sandeul still sitting at your table? I should tell them that plan is off” Jinyoung said, letting out a laugh.

“No, not them, Gongchan and Shinwoo” Ellin said, Jinyoung’s expression quickly changing. Ellin could tell that Jinyoung was displeased. “You hate that they’re hanging out with us that much, huh?” Ellin smiled.

“I don’t know… it’s more complicated than that,” Jinyoung said. “What do you mean?” Ellin asked.

“Well…at first it was the fact that they betrayed me by hanging out with people who were my ultimate enemies… but now…I don’t view you girls that way. But I’m still bothered by it” Jinyoung confessed.

“I get it Jinyoung, but I can’t feel sorry for you” Ellin honestly replied. “I mean, you weren’t all that honest to them”

“You’re right…but you know my pride, I can’t just apologize and try to make things go back to the way they were… I’m just not good at that kind of stuff,” Jinyoung explained.

“Isn’t that why we ultimately broke up?” Ellin slipped, regretting bringing it up. “Sorry, it’s just a reflex at this point” Ellin sighed.

Jinyoung looked pained, any mention or reminder of what had happened felt like a jab at his heart. “Ellin-ah”

“We’re here” Ellin interrupted. “Thanks Jinyoung, for the trouble and all” Ellin awkwardly said. “Well… bye” Ellin patted Jinyoung on the shoulder before opening the gate to her house and running inside.

Jinyoung stood there, staring at her until she was out of sight. He let out a regretful sigh “can things really change between us” he whispered to himself.

 

Back at school the students were getting ready to hear the dismissal bell. Shinwoo couldn’t wait because Choa promised to take him to a restaurant after school to make up for the day he paid for dinner. Little did Shinwoo know, Choa had a few tricks under her sleeve. As soon as the bell rang, Shinwoo turned his head and smiled at Choa. Choa turned her head in his direction and rolled her eyes.

“I’m so hungry Choa!” Shinwoo whined. “That’s too bad, McDonalds may not fill your stomach, eh” Choa joked. “You would never. What, you hate that thought of both of us eating alone together that much?” Shinwoo pouted. “Alone…right…” Choa smirked. “Common, get up. Let’s leave, I’m starving too, and people are waiting” Choa said, whispering the last part. “Huh?” Shinwoo asked “oh nothing” Choa replied, hiding her laughter.

 

Two hours before:

“Yah, Minsun-ah, grab Gongchan and go to the seafood restaurant near our house” Choa told. “Eh? Why? You can’t force us to go on a date,” Minsun laughed. “I’m taking Shinwoo there today after school and I thought that we should make it a double date” Choa explained.

“Ha, so you’re just using me cause you don’t wanna be alone with him, huh? You’re that nervous around him? Too scared he’ll kiss you this time?” Minsun teased.

“Shut up, you’re going with me, got it! Don’t act like you don’t want to. I know you like Gongchan and want to be an official ‘thing’ with him. Take this as an opportunity to casually ask him out” Choa said, making a point. Minsun’s expression changed, showing that she had given in “Fine, but don’t think I’m not doing you a favor, you owe me!” Minsun said, sticking her tongue out at her sister before walking away to find Gongchan before the bell rang.

“Favor my , I’m your guardian angel” Choa laughed.

 

“Here’s the place” Choa alerted Shinwoo. Shinwoo let out a sigh of relief “it’s not MacDonald’s!” he said, making Choa laugh. “Don’t be too happy, you’ll be disappointed soon” Choa laughed, Shinwoo was about to ask her why until him and Choa walked into the restaurant, and there sat Minsun and Gongchan sitting happily at a table for four. “What the heck are they doing here? Is this a coincidence?” Shinwoo asked, looking at Choa and lifting up an eyebrow. “Coincidence… that’s it! It’s all just a coincidence” Choa smiled.

“Ha, don’t lie Choa. Choa thought it would be cool if we made this a double date…. Or whatever this is… since it’s not like we’re dating…” Minsun quickly said, scratching the back of her head, and avoiding Gongchan’s gaze that was now on hers.

 

“Idiot” Choa mumbled. “Let’s sit” Choa said, taking Shinwoo’s arm and pulling him towards a seat. He sat down and stared at Choa angrily as she sat down beside him “What?” Choa asked tiredly. “This doesn’t count, just so you know” Shinwoo said. “Huh? What do you mean?” Choa asked, annoyed. “I mean this doesn’t count. You’re going to have to take me out again” Shinwoo smirked. “Yeah whatever, we’ll see who pays the bill this time” Choa said, picking up a menu.

“I can feel this is going to be a lovely dinner” Gongchan joked. “I know right, we should have went to a different restaurant and left these two love birds alone,” Minsun whispered to Gongchan, but loud enough so that everyone could hear.

“Aish, why did I think this was a good idea” Choa sighed, “those are my exact thoughts” Shinwoo replied.

The waiter finally came to their table to take their order “Well, since Choa is paying, I’ll have seafood noodles, a seafood salad, deokbeokkie, hmmm what else…calamari and a Cesar” Minsun smiled to the waiter. “That’s for the whole table right?” the waiter asked. “No, it’s only for me” Minsun replied with a smile. The waiter stared at Minsun, confused as to weather or not she was joking.

“This crazy bi-“

“Just three more sea food noodles and that’ll be good for all of us” Shinwoo quickly interrupted Choa.

“Hey, how do you know Gongchan doesn’t want something else!” Minsun scolded once the waiter left. “Wait until we get home Minsun” Choa said to her sister, frustrated.

“Okay honey” Minsun chimed cutely, making the boys laugh. “Ah, so this is what it’s like to have a twin” Gongchan laughed.

“Yeah. It’s awful being the prettier one because your evil twin is always trying to ruin your life” Choa smiled, satisfied. “As if!” Minsun replied.

 

A few moments of fighting later, their food arrived. “Finally, food to make them stop fighting” Shinwoo said relieved. The four immediately began to chow down their food; all that fighting made them hungry.

 

After everyone finished eating, an awkward silence filled the table. Minsun then thought this was the perfect opportunity to make the atmosphere even more awkward. “So, when are you two going to make up with your friends?” Minsun asked. Choa kicked her sister’s leg from under the table “ouch” Minsun screeched.

“Seriously, we have to talk about this. I feel like if you two don’t make up with them, Jinyoung is going to make sure we don’t get into university or something,” Minsun sighed. “He couldn’t do that even if he wanted to” Shinwoo laughed.

“Why do you two want us to reconcile with them so badly though? I don’t get it” Gongchan asked. “Minsun talked to you about this too? Choa asked me this question before” Shinwoo informed.

“I don’t know but… I feel like Baro and Sandeul haven’t really done anything so…why should you be in a fight with them too? I heard you’ve all been close since freshmen year” Minsun asked.

“We have but, who cares? Baro and Sandeul decided to stay with Jinyoung, that’s why Gongchan and I aren’t talking to them” Shinwoo explained.

“What about you and Soyul?” Gongchan brought up, now Minsun was the one to kick Gongchan’s leg “ouch!”

“Don’t mention Soyul…I don’t want to talk about her, ever” Choa said, annoyed.  “Anyways, here’s the money to pay the bill, I’m going to go…bye” Choa said putting a $100 on the table.

 

 

“Idiot, do you know how bothered she’s been feeling cause of Soyul? Aish, clueless Gongchan” Minsun sighed, shaking her head. “Shinwoo, go-“ Before Minsun could tell Shinwoo to go to Choa she realized he had already left the restaurant. “What the heck, why are there two $100 bills on the table?” Minsun suddenly realized. She looked at Gongchan in confusion.

“Here, take it” Gongchan said, handing $100 to Minsun. Gongchan then got up and paid the bill. Once Minsun realized that Shinwoo had left $100 to pay for the food, it was already too late. “All done, let’s go Minsun-ah” Gongchan said pulling Minsun’s arm with a smile. “Yah, don’t smile at me like everything’s fine! Take this!” Minsun said, pulling out the $100 bill. Gongchan leaned closer to Minsun and grabbed her hand “Just keep it, for me, okay?” he grinned. He put Minsuns hand in her sweater pocket and then dragged her out of the store while she was still in a daze.

 

“Choa! Wait up” Shinwoo called, running up to Choa. Once he caught up to her he matched his pace to hers. “Choa, let’s talk for a second” Shinwoo requested. “I don’t feel like talking Shinwoo, go home, okay? My house is right around the corner” Choa told him without making any eye contact. The truth was, she wanted to talk to Shinwoo, she wanted to let out all of her frustrations to him and she wanted him to comfort her, but she just couldn’t let herself do that. She didn’t want to get any close to Shinwoo than she already was, she knew getting involved with some rich boy from school wasn’t a good idea, especially after Ellin’s history with Jinyoung. 

Shinwoo put his hand around Choa wrist and turned her around to face him “Why can’t you just tell me about your troubles, at least once” Shinwoo asked, frustrated.

“Why do you even care so much about my troubles Shinwoo? What do you want from me? Just leave me alone! Can’t you see I’m upset? All I want to do is go home to my mom!” Choa yelled. “Why are you so hot and cold? One minute I think we’re close and on good terms and then the other second it’s like you hate me again!” Shinwoo raged.

“Well sorry I’m not giving you everything you want Shinwoo. Sorry my mood isn’t always like how you want it to be! Sorry I’m my own person!”

In that second, Shinwoo did something he really shouldn’t have. He pulled Choa closer to him and kissed her. Choa quickly pushed him away “what the is wrong with you!? This is exactly why I can’t open up to you! You’re just another rich boy who can’t control himself and has to get what he wants. The minute I lose myself and trust you is the minute I choose a path where my life gets ruined by some rich jerk, just like what happened to Ellin!” Choa yelled, disgusted at what Shinwoo had just attempted

“So this is why you can’t say anything to me, because you think I’m exactly like Jinyoung. You’re so unfair Choa! Stop comparing everyone! I’m my own person too, you know?” Shinwoo yelled.

“Did you think kissing me in this moment to shut me up would be romantic and cool? Well, this isn’t a drama, you’re awful Shinwoo! Did you even listen to what I was saying” Choa fumed. “Let’s… just cut all relations from each other. I’m so sick of this ” Choa shook her head at Shinwoo in disappointment before turning around and running home.