That was then, this is now

Senior year

“Jinyoung…” Ellin finally began, Gummi sighed as she spoke his name, and she felt her blood boil “Jinyoung. I should have figured, what did he do Ellin?” Gummi asked.

“He told me why he was a coward on my last day of school… I don’t know what to do Gummi” Ellin said, tears beginning to fall down her face again. Gummi felt her face get hot, she remembered what she had said to Jinyoung that day in the kitchen and felt accountable for this.

“Ellin… how do you feel? What do you feel? Do you feel sorry for him? Or maybe you wish he’d never told you?” Gummi asked, trying to help Ellin figure out her feelings.

“I was so close Gummi” Ellin finally said, “so close to what?” Gummi asked confused.

“So close to no longer caring about him.” Gummi shook her head at Ellin. She was speechless. Gummi was never the type to get attached to a guy before so all of her relationships ended cleanly with no emotions attached.

Silence soon fell between them. It was a little strange to both of them though. Everything felt normal, like they were back to being close friends, but they both knew they still had unresolved issues with each other that had to be talked about. Ellin wanted things to stay this way but she knew that, come the next day, they’d be awkward with each other again.

“Gummi… what were you talking about with Jinyoung the other day” Ellin suddenly brought up. Gummi was confused about what Ellin was talking about “When?” she asked. “In the kitchen… you mentioned a journal…” Ellin replied, Gummi let out a deep sigh. She knew the journal wouldn’t make her feel any better, after all Ellin was crying because Jinyoung’s defense for his ty acts that were beginning to make sense.

“Ellin… what did you end up doing with that journal that I gave you…” Gummi asked. “The one after you broke into his house and poured over his head?” Ellin laughed at the reminder of that night. They were all so full of life back then, it made her sad to think about how they were now. “Yeah, that journal… did you end up reading it? I’m guessing you didn’t since what Jinyoung said to you today was new information” Gummi said.

“Wait… what do you mean? You said you didn’t read it” Ellin asked, a little frustrated.

“That was a lie, how could I not read his journal. I don’t have that much self control,” Gummi confessed.

“Wait so… you’re telling me the journal said all of this but you never told me?” Ellin asked.

Gummi turned to face Ellin and placed both her hands on Ellin’s shoulders “Ellin… read the Journal. You can get mad at me for not telling you later, but read it first, okay? I didn’t tell you for a reason, and I still treated Jinyoung like after reading it so it’s not some magical journal that’s going to make all his sins disappear. But read it, you have to or else you’re never going to find closure Ellin” Gummi sincerely advised. Ellin nodded her head “Okay…if I can find it” Ellin sighed.

“Didn’t you say you’d burn it, you didn’t actually do that…right?” Gummi asked worriedly. “Ha, no. I remember throwing it somewhere…it must be in my room or something…hope one of the maids didn’t throw it out” Ellin laughed, Gummi laughing along with her.

Ellin looked at Gummi seriously again, she looked like she wanted to take something off of her chest “later, Ellin” Gummi interrupted, knowing what Ellin was going to say “we’ll talk about it all together, with Minsun and Choa, okay?” Gummi encouraged. Ellin nodded her head.

 

As Gummi was walking out of her room, she ran into Soyul. Not giving it much attention, she simply nodded her head at her and proceeded to go to the kitchen. Soyul was a little stunned though, not because Gummi acknowledged her existence, but because Ellin had also just left Gummi’s room. She turned her head to look at Ellin, her nose scrunching up in confusion “I have a lot to tell you” Ellin sighed.

 

 

“So what the heck are you and Shinwoo? Are you dating yet?” Minsun asked as her and Choa sorted their laundry in the residences laundry room. “No, we’re taking it slow” Choa replied. Minsun let out a laugh “taking it slow? How the hell are you going to take something that didn’t even start slow?” Minsun questioned, continuing to laugh at her sister.

Choa’s eyebrows furrowed in annoyance “excuse me? I’m not ready to start a relationship with him yet and, unlike you, he understands!” Choa alerted with a satisfied smile.

“Shinwoo is truly a saint. But let me honestly ask you, why aren’t you ready? You’ve resolved everything, right? You’re on good terms, why not just consider yourself dating and take it slow from there?” Minsun advised. Choa looked at her sister for a few seconds, thinking about what she just said “I… I don’t know…” Choa realized.

Minsun sighed at her confused looking sister “What are you so scared of?” Minsun asked curiously. Choa sighed “I don’t know Minsun… I haven’t been in a relationship since grade nine, and it lasted like 3 weeks despite us also being good friends for a year before that… and we never spoke to each other again after that” Choa recalled.

Minsun suddenly realized why Choa was so reluctant to start a relationship with Shinwoo; she valued his friendship. After all, he did ditch Jinyoung to hang out with her and always stood up for her, although Choa did also feel sorry towards him for doing all those things. “Choa, it’s been four years, and Shinwoo is an individual person. Why would you think it’d end up the same way?” Minsun comforted.

“It’s easy to put it like that, but what if? Weren’t you hurt when Gongchan said you two couldn’t be together because of Shinwoo? Didn’t it remind you of when your boyfriend left you after Jinyoung’s orders?” Choa brought up.

Minsun sighed “Sure it did, but Gongchan and I got over that now, you know why? Cause we’re not 14 years old. Things don’t break as easily anymore. When we hear a rumor, we question it rather than spread it, when we see a fight break out, we report it rather than cheer it on. High school and University are totally different worlds. Although in our case we always did the former” Minsun smiled happily.

Choa laughed at her sister “alright, I’ll think about it okay? We’re going to the movies sometime soon, maybe my heart will change then” Choa informed. “It better, I told you I’d date him if you didn’t” Minsun joked making Choa laugh.

 

A few moments later Shinwoo walked through the doors in midst of Minsun and Choa talking about him. The twins heads turned in surprised “Wow, this fate” Minsun chuckled. Choa shot her a glare “What, were you two talking about me?” Shinwoo asked suspiciously. “No, we were talking about….Gongchan” Choa said, sticking her tongue out at her sister.

Minsun shot Choa a devious smirk “Oh, I just forgot! I left the oven on in the kitchen, gotta run!” Minsun laughed.

Choas eyes shot open “the building would have went on fire by now if you did that!” Choa yelled as her sister left the room.

Shinwoo laughed at Choa’s frustrated expression. “Still don’t like being in the same room as me?” Shinwoo said, pretending to be hurt. He sat beside her in place of Minsun. “No that’s not it…” Choa sighed. “What is it then?” Shinwoo asked curiously. “I- I don’t know how to do laundry” Choa admitted, scratching the back of her head.

Shinwoo laughed at her distressed expression “Well today is your lucky day then because I know how to” Shinwoosmiled  confidently. “Don’t you have your own laundry to do?” Choa asked.

“Yeah but I only have whites to do so I just need to throw it in” he explained. Choa nodded her head but still felt a little bad. Thank god we didn’t bring our underwear she thought in relief.

 

Choa watched where Shinwoo put in the laundry detergent but her focus soon went to his hands. She was strangely attracted to them.  Choa began to zone out into her own world and it was a few moments later until Shinwoo realized Choa was not paying attention to what he was doing, instead she was paying attention to him. He smiled at her without notice from her.

“Choa, you do the other batch” he suddenly ordered.

Choa's head shot up “W-what?” Choa said, snapping out of her daydream. , I didn’t catch a thing he just did she internally cursed herself. “Uhh…okay” Choa said unconfidently.

She looked at the dials on the washer and her head began to spin what the heck, why are there so many types of cycles she thought. Shinwoo began to laugh at her “don’t worry about it Choa” he said, taking the detergent out of her hands. “I- I can do it!” Choa lied, but she was too embarrassed to tell him she didn’t have a clue after seeing him do it. “I’m sure you can, I just want to do it, okay” he grinned, playing along.

 

“So about that movie offer…” Shinwoo reminded, changing the topic. “When are we going to do that? Don’t think I forgot about it!” Shinwoo smiled. Choa nodded “right, we can do it whenever you want” Choa offered. “So like…tomorrow?” Shinwoo asked.

“Tomorrow?” Choa repeated, that’s too soon, I’m not prepared to bring up the dating thing yet Choa thought, but she knew she couldn’t just let it drag on. Truth was, she would probably never feel ready so she agreed. “Sounds good…” she smiled, although she was completely freaking out on the inside.

 

 

Soyul roamed between the library shelves in search for books for one of her humanities courses. She browsed books for a while until she felt like she had enough to do her paper. “This will be enough…right?” Soyul thought as she looked down at the 4 books stacked in her hands. Suddenly she heard somebody call her name “Huh?” she looked up and saw Jinyoung through the gap of the book she had last took. “What the heck” she said in confusion before walking away from him without giving him any response. “Ya, Soyul-ah” Jinyoung called again. Once Soyul realized he was walking to her she quickly turned around in the other direction “what the hell does he want from me?!” Soyul panicked. She didn’t want to talk to Jinyoung, especially after what Ellin had told her.

 

Soyul thought she was finally safe behind the book shelf at the end of the hall until suddenly she felt her books lift off of her hands and into the hands of, non other than, Jinyoung. “Aish…” Soyul groaned “what the hell are you doing Jinyoung?!” Soyul whispered. “I need to talk to you…. Can we talk for a bit Soyul-ah?” Jinyoung pleaded. “I don’t want to be associated with you Jinyoung, so stop wasting my time” Soyul rejected.

She tried to get the books out of his hands but it was no use; he kept turning around and his grasp was far too tight on them “Aish! Jung Jinyoung!” She yelled, immediately putting her hands on since they were in a library. “I’ll give these back to you after you give me 5 minutes of your precious time” Jinyoung smirked.

“Stupid jerk” Soyul said, crossing her arms in defeat. “Fine, but let’s talk outside so I can scream at you in peace” Soyul said, walking ahead of him. Jinyoung quickly followed behind.

 

“What do you want Jinyoung?” Soyul asked, still annoyed. “H-how’s Ellin doing? You two are roommates right? I’ll assume she told you everything already…” Jinyoung hesitated.

“Yeah, she told me…” Soyul began “and I don’t know how she’s doing honestly. When I got to the dorm yesterday she was with Gummi. Apparently she saw her in the library crying and took her back to her dorm” Soyul revealed.

“Ha, now Gummi want’s to help her?” he let out, remembering how they ignored her before.

Soyul shook her head “it’s honestly not your place to be saying that Jinyoung. Aren’t you the king of being late?” Soyul reminded. Jinyoung’s head went down and he nodded in agreement “I know okay…I know I’m too late but I had to at least tell her!” Jinyoung defened.

“And now what Jinyoung? Now what are you going to do? Let’s say Ellin understood, are you going to ask her to be your girlfriend again and have history repeat? Accept it Jinyoung, we’re no match against our parents” Soyul sighed.

Jinyoung thought about Soyul’s question for a moment. He realized he didn’t really know what he wanted to do if she ever forgave him. “I… I just don’t want Ellin to hate me anymore. I know it’s selfish of me to ask but I want her to forgive me. I can’t live like this anymore Soyul, I can’t live being controlled by him anymore” he vented, now pulling at her sleeve in desperation.

Soyul was in shock. She had never seen this side of Jinyoung before. He always appeared tough and emotionless. “Jinyoung…I can’t help you” Soyul said, putting her head down “I have the same problem as you. But you know what? We’re in university now. Our parents don’t get called when we skip class, or when we are hanging out with the ‘wrong crowed’. We’re no longer attached to the messed up high school system. So just do what you want now. I know I will, and once I graduate, I’ll no longer need my fathers money anymore” Soyul confessed something to Jinyoung she had never told anyone before. Maybe it was because they were going through a similar dilemma. “Aish…I’ve said too much” Soyul mumbled.

Jinyoung smiled at her “no, you didn’t. Soyul, if you tell Choa and the other girl’s what happened, they’ll surely forgive you. All you have to do is tell them. I envy you” Jinyoung confessed.

“We’ll see” Soyul chuckled. “Well… seeya later Jinyoung. Actually, pretend like we didn’t have this conversation. The girls will not forgive me if they knew I just gave you advice” Soyul laughed.

Jinyoung let out a small laugh and nodded “don’t worry” he reassured.

 

The next morning, Gummi, Minsun, and Choa were all eating breakfast in the kitchen together. It was a typical morning to Choa and Minsun but they didn't know that Gummi had something in store for them. "Well, i'm done so i'm going to head back and get ready for my class" Choa informed, Minsun nodded in agreement with her sister.

"Wait!" Gummi suddenly exclaimed, giving the girls a fright. "What is it? Are you too scared to finish your breakfast alone or something?" Minsun asked. "I don't like eating alone, okay?" Gummi said. 

Suddenly Ellin and Soyul walked in. The twins and Gummi turned their heads and looked at them for a moment. Minsun and Choa's head turned back around to face Gummi's who was still watching Ellin and Soyul who awkwardly sat in front of the girls.

"Gummi...we're going to leave, okay?" Choa quietely alerted Gummi.

Ellin suddenly cleared "umm... we need to talk" she finally said. The twin's turned to look at Ellin and then immediately turned back to face Gummi, realizing she knew something they didn't. 

Suddenly Baro appeared against the Kitchen doors with Sandeul, Gummi nodded and they closed the doors. "What the heck is going on Gummi?" Choa asked.

"Didn't you hear Ellin, we're going to talk" Gummi repeated.

 


So it's been awhile and i don't really have an excuse except lack of motivation, but i'm back!