12

Nobodies

After BTS had finished eating, they all headed home except for Hoseok. He told the others to go home first since he doesn’t want Hana to go home alone. Of course, he didn’t tell the guys why he stayed. He only told them that he needed to pick up some things from the bookstore beside the café,

 

Meanwhile, Hana needed to stay for another hour since the guy who had the late shift called in sick. She didn’t really care because she had nothing else to do. Not a lot of people came in the café at this late hour so all Hana did was sit down and play games on her phone.

 

When it was time to close, Shin Ah needed to go home quickly since she hasn’t finished a couple of paperwork and gave the keys to Hana. Hana changed into some nike shorts and a plain black shirt. She grabbed her think jacket and walked out of the door. She then locked the door and hid the key under the mat of the café.

 

When she turned around, her face bumped into someone’s chest. Hana stepped back and looked up.

 

Hoseok?? She asked.

 

Hoseok looked to her and smiled.

 

Do you always work this late? And go home by yourself afterwards? He asked.

 

Hana shook her head.

 

The guy that was supposed to take the night shift called in sick. I had nothing better to do so I took it. Hana answered.

 

Hoseok nodded and pulled Hana with him back home.

 

Yah, I’m hungry. Let’s eat. Hoseok said as we walked towards a street food vendor.

 

Didn’t you eat like an hour ago? Hana asked.

Yeah, but I’m still hungry! Come on, I know you’re hungry too. I haven’t seen you ate since lunch. Hoseok replied.

 

Hoseok was right. She hasn’t eaten anything since lunch and she was quite hungry. Although she didn’t feel like eating, her empty stomach said otherwise.

 

When they arrived, Hana couldn’t stop salivating. There was spicy rice cake, blood sausages, japchae hotteok, odeng, and much more.

 

Which one do you want? I’ll pay.  Hoseok asked as he took out his wallet.

 

Hana shook her head.

 

I can pay by myself, Hoseok-ah. Hana said as she took out her wallet.

 

For a girl who had a part-time job, Hana had a pretty nice wallet. It was a Louis Vuitton classic brown wallet. She got that as a present from her grandparents a few years ago. She bought a matching bag right after she got the wallet. It was a small treat for herself. Hoseok noticed the expensive wallet and looked at it for a second.

 

Can I have a portion of those spicy rice cakes and one japchae hotteok please? Hana told the vendor lady.

 

Make that two japchae hotteok ahjumma. Hoseok added.

 

The vendor lady scooped some rice cake into a plastic bowl and gave it to Hana. Then she grabbed two hot japchae hotteok and gave it to Hoseok.

 

That would be 8,000 won sweetie. The ahjumma said.

 

Before Hana could open her wallet, Hoseok had already paid the lady.

 

Yah! I told you I could pay for myself! Hana yelled.

 

 You took too long! I could die of hunger while waiting for you to open your wallet! Hoseok yelled back.

 

Hana rolled her eyes. The ahjumma who watched both of them smiled.

 

Couples nowadays are so cute. How long have you guys been together? The ahjumma asked.

 

They both stopped glaring at each other and looked at the ahjumma, completely flustered.

 

Y-You’ve misunderstood ahjumma. We’re not a c-

 

Hoseok covered Hana’s mouth.

 

We’re so cute right ahjumma? Especially my lovely girlfriend here. We’ve been together for about 2 years. Hoseok interrupted.

 

Hana’s eyes widened and looked up at Hoseok. Her eyes were shooting daggers at him.

 

The ahjumma smiled at them.

 

Well, we have to go now. Goodnight ahjumma! Hoseok said as he started walking away.

 

When they were a bit far from the snack vendor, he took his hand back and sat at the nearest bench.

 

Hana who felt bewildered at his previous actions slapped his back.

 

What the hell was that?! She yelled.

 

Hoseok ignored her and took a bite from his hotteok.

 

Hana called him for a couple more times before giving up. Hoseok smiled when she finally shut up and stole some of Hana’s rice cake.

Before Hana could protest, Hoseok fed her his hotteok as she gladly took a bite. They continued eating for a couple of minutes before finishing the snacks.

 

Oh, that was delicious. Hoseok exclaimed.

 

Hana nodded in agreement and took a sip of her water. They sat still for a couple of minutes before Hana opened to speak.

 

Hoseok-ah, can I ask you a question? Hana asked.

 

Hoseok nodded.

 

Earlier, when the girls called you names and such, why did they do that? Was there a reason why they hate you? Hana asked.

 

Hana couldn’t get that thought put of her head since she started her shift.

 

Well, there’s no particular reason I guess. They just hate us. Hoseok replied, clearly lying.

 

Oh come on! There’s always a reason behind everything. Were they like your past lovers? If love starts with hate, then hate starts with love right? Hana asked.

 

Hoseok thought about it for a moment, contemplating if he should tell Hana the truth or not.

 

Well, if I tell you this, I’m scared that you’ll start to hate us too, especially me. Hoseok mumbled.

 

Hana heard what he had said and frowned. She took his hands in hers and squeezed it.

 

I won’t hate you guys, even you. No matter what you guys did, it’s impossible for me to hate you. Mistakes can always be forgiven. Hana assured.

 

Hoseok took a deep breath before telling her the entire story.

 

At the end of the story, Hoseok’s voice became weaker. Hana would furrow her eyebrows throughout the whole story. She couldn’t imagine what the guys must’ve felt. Their dreams falling apart because of one stupid rumor. A rumor that Hana believed was a set-up.

 

So that is why Bangtan Sonyeondan doesn’t exist anymore. And you’re right, hate does start with love. They loved us more than anything before, and now they hate us more than anything.  Hoseok concluded.

 

BTS will always exist. Maybe not out in the industry, but it’s still alive in here. Hana said as she brought her hand up to Hoseok’s chest.

 

And I’ll always dance to your songs every chance I get. Shin Ah eonnie and I. Hana added.

 

Hoseok smiled as his heart started pacing faster. Hana made him feel alive and humane again. She’s the first person who had comforted him after the incident. Hana started to become special to him.

 

Enough of the sadness Hana! We have to smile! Hoseok exclaimed as he stood up.

 

Hana was surprised at his sudden change and chuckled.

 

Yup! Sadness is not good for us. Smiling 100 times more better. Hana added.

 

They both suddenly forgot all the sadness and left it behind. It was already 9:40pm and the guys must be wondering where Hoseok was. They started heading home for real this time.

 

When they passed a couple of dark alleyways with random drunk guys, Hoseok pulled Hana closer to him. He noticed that Hana’s shorts were too short and her t-shirt was too thin.

 

Don’t ever wear something this short and thin again at night. Every guy here is starring at you. Hoseok whispered.

 

Hana rolled her eyes in reply.

 

I’m serious Song Hana. I swear I’ll kick your if you do. Hoseok whispered.

 

Hoseok stopped her and gave Hana his jacket before continuing their walk back home.