Page Five

Ending Page
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun was setting behind the horizon as the rays and the night sky made a transitional blend with each other, giving the sky a rainbow of colours.

“That’s it for today boys- and girl.” Kris announced, signalling them to go back inside for the night. They all cheered, glad that the day has finally come to an end so that they were able to rest.

Amber came out of the kitchen with a large plate sliced watermelons as the boys came into the dining area. Placing the plate carefully on the coffee table, she watched greedy hands fight for the watermelons as they disappeared within seconds.

“I take that you guys want seconds?” she laughed.

“YES PLEASE!” the boys shouted happily in sync. Giggling, Amber went back to the kitchen where Luhan was cutting up more watermelons to serve.

Turning around to head back into the living room, Kris’s sudden appearance startled her as he commented, “Thanks for helping out today.” Scared out of her life, Amber nearly dropped the watermelons but Kris caught them easily.

“Kris!” Amber stuttered, feeling her face flush with embarrassment, “you scared the life out of me!” Amber slapped Kris’s shoulder playfully, taking the plate of watermelons back.

“Sorry.” he laughed, walking alongside with her to the living room, “But you were a great help today. Thank you.” Amber set the plate back down on the coffee table as more hands had already started stealing slices off it.

“It’s the least that I could do for the duration of my stay.” Amber smiled, straightening herself. Kris smiled back sincerely.

A sudden squeak of the front doorknob caught Amber’s attention as an old lady emerged from behind the door.

“Halmoni. Welcome home.” the boys all greeted.

“Hello boys.” she smiled. Her attention averted to Amber and there was a surprised expression evident on her face. “Heavens. Child you’re up! I’m glad to see that you’re well.” She walked over to the coat rack next to the door and hooked her scarf and hat there like she always have when she got home.

“Good evening Halmoni.” Amber bowed deeply. “My name is Amber Josephine Liu. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“The child’s a girl. My apologies.” she apologized as she walked over to Amber and examined her features.

“It’s alright. I’ve been getting that a lot since I woke up.” Amber admitted, scratching the back of her head awkwardly.

“I’m Wu Hyun-Jae. But you can call me Halmoni like the rest of them do or Hyun-Jae if you prefer.” she told Amber kindly.

“You’re Kris’s grandmother?!” Amber asked in shock. She then turned around to face Kris. “You never mentioned you have a grandmother! I thought you were an orphan!”

“There’s only so much that I can tell you in one day. And the rest of them are the orphans. I only have one grandmother. No other relatives.” Kris shrugged and looked over his shoulder at his grandmother as if he was expecting some kind of reaction from her. Hyun-Jae was hesitant to respond his message but nodded in agreement.

“Take it easy child. You have only known us for a day. It’s natural.” Hyun-Jae smiled. Amber nodded understandingly. Hyun-

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter