Page Three

Ending Page
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amber fluttered her eyes open, finding herself lying on her back with a sore body. Carefully getting up, she swung her legs to the edge of the bed and started to examine her unfamiliar surroundings. She was in a what seemed like a cabin room. The room was made of nothing but hardwood with the air smelling like a wood finishing. Her left arm was put in a cast as well as several bandages covering up her wounds here and there including her head. She wanted to get up and out of the bed that she was lying in but her legs didn’t seem to obey her commands.

“Where am I?” she mumbled to herself. Her voice was weak but manageable. She wanted to think but her heart pounded in her mind, preventing her from remembering what happened. Suddenly, the opening of a door caught her attention.

“Oh! You’re up!” a young boy exclaimed excitedly. He looked no older than 20 with tanned skin, black spiky hair and little eyes. He looked like your typical Korean boy that you would meet on the streets who wore overalls with an ed right strap and white t-shirt stained with dirt and coffee. Amber raised an eyebrow in confusion, wondering who this boy was. She wanted to open and ask for his name but she didn’t have the energy nor voice to do so.

“My apologies,” he started, “must’ve been rude of me to burst in here without knocking or introduction right?” Amber nodded awkwardly. This boy seemed considerate and nice but she didn’t know for sure until she was completely comfortable with him. “My name is Huang Zitao but everyone calls me Tao.” he smiled, walking over and lifting up his hand for a handshake. Amber accepted the friendly handshake reluctantly. Not long after, Tao went over to the door and yelled down the hallway, “Yo Kris! He’s up!”

He? Referring Amber as “he” made her question this “Tao”. Surely he could tell that she’s a girl. Right?

Minutes later, there was another boy, a little older looking, rushing over to see what was going on. This boy had blonde hair that was a little longer than Tao’s and a kind smile, making Amber feel welcomed just by making eye contact with him. He wore jeans and a blue plaid shirt with sleeves rolled up to his elbows, also stained with dirt. His skin was a little fairer and immediately, Amber felt her face flush but she hid it easily.

“Hi! I’m Wu Yifan, but they all call me Kris,” he introduced himself, “Glad to see that you’re okay.” Amber nodded shyly as a greeting.

“T-thanks.” she managed.

“May I ask for your name?” Kris asked softly.

“Amber. Amber Josephine Liu.” she replied hesitantly.

“Amber Josephine Liu? So you’re a girl?” Kris asked in shock. Amber nodded awkwardly. So they have mistaken her for the wrong gender. “I’m sorry. I- well, we, thought you were a guy. S-sorry.” he apologized awkwardly. He scratched his head and looked away to Tao, both feeling like an idiot. Amber, on the other hand, couldn’t help but laugh and broke the awkwardness.

“It’s okay.” she giggled, making Kris and Tao feel a little more relieved and less guilty.

“You must be hungry, care to join us for breakfast?” Tao gestured her to the door. Amber nodded but she still hasn’t been able to get her feet to move yet. She felt awkward as she struggled to get up while the two waited patiently for her.

“You uh- need a little help?” Kris asked, not able to help but laugh at her. Amber gave Kris a frustrated look, annoyed that he laughed at her for being in the state that she’s in.

“Please.” Amber said in an annoyed tone.

“Sorry.” Kris giggled as he swung Amber’s arm and over his shoulder, hoisting her up. She slowly walked along next to Kris and Tao went on over first to finish setting up for breakfast. The kitchen, dining area and living room were all in the same place. The place was small for 6 boys. All not looking any older than 25, the same age group as Amber.

“Ah! He’s up!” a messy brown haired boy exclaimed, wearing a green t-shirt and navy jeans. He wore a bored expression, as if he didn’t want her in the room at all.

“I told you he’d be up within the next two days!” another boy nudged the messy-haired boy excitedly; but his response was to roll his eyes. The happier boy was wearing a white tank top and blue jeans with red-brown hair.

“Ahem. Guys, this is Amber Josephine Liu. A girl!” Tao introduced her to the other 4 boys in the room, making sure to emphasize the word “girl”.

Another brown-haired boy wearing a black t-shirt with a jacket slung over his shoulder took an orange and threw it at the boy messy-haired boy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter