FIFTEEN

Wrong Number

 

just ignore the title. lol.

 

 

 

 

Jaekyung stared at Minseok with a judging look as her lips forms a slight frown. “You’re already tired? What the heck. We haven’t even roamed around the whole place yet.” she complained at him who was sitting down on the sand while  breathing heavily.

 

Minseok looked up to her, exhaustion was evident in his face as he spoke to her. “My bag is heavy. And we’ve been walking and talking pictures for like two hours now. Isn’t that enough?” he asked her as he wiped his forehead with the back of his hand..

 

“Who told you to bring your bag? You should’ve just brought your camera.” Jaekyung started lecturing him. “I said that we’re just going to take pictures so that we could send them to Sangdo. Just why did you bring your whole bag? And now you’re the one who’s complaining.”

 

“I was telling you to wait for me but you didn’t even bother to look back. You really—” Minseok stopped halfway and just stayed quiet. He didn’t want to argue with her anyways. “Aish. Forget it. I’m just a piece of mandoo anyways. Right?” Minseok asked her as he slightly shook his head.

 

He’d be lying if he would say that he was not affected when Jaekyung said that he reminds him of mandoo. It’s like… he’s thinking of her most of the time and he never compared her t o anyone nor anything.

 

To him, Jaekyung was.. someone he’d probably want to keep by his side for the rest of his life. Yes, she may have a sharp tongue and sometimes she says the exact opposite of what she means, sometimes she acts all high and mighty but still, Jaekyung is Jaekyung. She may act all tough but in reality, she’s not. And he loves her. No matter what.

 

But she? She sees him as a piece of dough. And Minseok thinks it’s kind of unfair.. and sad. And.. he couldn’t just help but feel bad about it.

 

The girl he likes thinks of him as a piece of dough. Isn’t that just great?

 

Jaekyung eyed him as he continued talking, sensing that drama that was about to come.

 

“Yes. This piece of steamed white dough is tired. I know you don’t care since I’m just a piece of mand—“ he stopped talking when he felt a cold thing grazed at his cheek. And then he realized that it was a drink. From Jaekyung. He blinked at her. “What are you doing—what is this?” he asked, not knowing what to ask her.

 

Jaekyung gave him a small smile or maybe it was a smirk. He couldn’t really tell. “You’re tired. Right? It’s an energy drink.”

 

“Y-you’re giving it to me?” he asked. And he mentally cursed himself for stuttering and for asking so stupidly.

 

“Cut your mandoo drama and just drink it.” She took his hand and gave the drink to him before finally walking away. She left like that. She left coolly. How can she act so cool and all when he’s too puzzled and perplexed at the moment? Sometimes Yoo Jaekyung can be very unfair.

 

The can that she handed him was freezing cold. And even for a split second, when her hand touched his, he felt that her fingertips were unbelievably warm. And it was such a waste that it didn’t even last for a second. He couldn’t even imagine how would it feel like if he actually did hold his hand.

 

Minseok watched as she walked on further away from him. And he was surprised when she suddenly turned around to face him. She was looking at him. He couldn’t clearly see the expression in her face but she was looking at him. And as stupid as it may sound, it made his heart race.

 

“How long do you plan on staying there Kim Minseok-ssi?” she shouted at him sarcastically as she placed her hands on her hips.

 

Minseok stood up in an instant and quickly brushed away the dust in his pants.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was almost 6 when Jaekyung was finally contented with the pictures and decided to call it a day. But Minseok doesn’t want it to end yet. Not too fast. He still want to be with her. To talk to her. It wasn’t a day for him, yet.

 

“Since we’re here, should we collect seashells?” he suggested as he smiled at her awkwardly.

 

“You’ll be ruining the ecosystem if you roam around gathering seashells you know.” She told him as she gave him a look. “It’s all about marine ecology.”

 

Minseok’s smile widened. “Come on. Two or three shells wouldn’t flip this whole island over.” He encouraged her.

 

Jaekyung pursed her lips, thinking about what he said. Collecting shells didn’t seem fun to her. And she was partly tired. So maybe she’ll have to say no.

 

“Let’s have a contest!” Minseok suddenly declared. His eyes were gleaming in excitement and delight. “Whoever gets the most number of shells will be the winner.” He said.

 

Jaekyung’s brows slightly furrowed. “Hey, I thought we’re only getting two or three shells. What happened to marine ecology? Huh?”

 

But Minseok was already busy collecting shells when she said that.

 

“The one who gets the least number of shells will buy dinner!” he suddenly announced.

 

Who cares about marine ecology? Jaekyung thought as she immediately tried to find some sea shells. She didn’t want to buy dinner tonight anyways.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“6.” Jaekyung counted the sixth shell she collected with a loud sigh. “Is this really a beach? Why are there no shells around? Aish. If this continues I might end up buying dinner.”

 

Jaekyung looked around and saw Minseok from a far. He was carrying A LOT of shells in his hands.

 

What the heck. How did that guy manage to get all of those shells? Did he secretly meet a mermaid? Tch. Jaekyung thought as she made a face. “If he’s winning this game, might as well do everything I can to win too.” She thought as she smiled toothily and then gathered everything that she could see. Stones, sticks, everything. It wouldn’t matter.

 

She’d get away with these anyways. Jaekyung thought with a smirk.

 

She was just about to walk back to Minseok to show him the shells she has collected. But that’s when she heard people clapping. And there was someone speaking over the microphone. Jaekyung walked in closer from where the sound is coming from and it didn’t took her long to realize that it was a wedding. A beach wedding. Everything, everyone was covered in white and peach. Everyone was smiling, cheering, congratulating the new couple. And she felt.. helpless seeing those, seeing them. She felt empty. It was like there was a hole in her heart. She didn’t even know what to feel anymore.

 

“Hey. I’ve been calling you for a while now—“

 

It was Minseok. Of course. But when she turned to face him, she saw the look on his face. It was different. It was the same kind of look kids have when their favorite television show ended. When their moms would say that it’s time to go to bed. That same look was plastered on his face right now.

 

Jaekyung smiled at him. “How many did you get?”

 

His eyes were still focused on her, watching her every move, every twitch makes, every time her eye rolls somewhere, her every breathe. He could tell by just watching her that something is wrong. “Dunno. I didn’t count it.”

 

“Let’s count it then.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“16…23…37…42.” Jaekyung counted the last shell Minseok has collected. “42.” She tured to him with a smile. Minseok made a face at her. “Are you saying that I lost?”

 

She nodded at him ever so happily. “Of course you did. It was 56-42. I win. You lost.”

 

“But yours have sticks and stones and all the other stuff. And you even made some sand balls. Does those even count?” he asked her as if she’s done something so bad to him.

 

“It does. Marine ecology.” She smiled at him, showing all of her milky white teeth to him. It was weird but Minseok thought she looked cute.

 

“If you’re curious about earlier…” Jaekyung trailed off with a heavy sigh. “We planned to have our wedding by the beach too. I just.. remembered him when I saw the wedding. It’s stupid but..that’s it.” Jaekyung turned to him. “I just thought you’d wanna know. I mean, your face.. earlier.. whatever. Aish. Forget it.” She said as she took a deep breath and tried to relax.

 

Minseok didn’t know what to say.

 

What kind of comforting words should he tell her right now?

 

Does she even want to hear them?

 

“Since you lost in the seashell competition, I’m expecting the dinner to be such a feast. I’ll just go back to the hotel and change my clothes.” She said as she walked away not even wanting to hear his response.

 

 

 

 

 

“What took you so long?” was what came out of Jaekyung’s mouth as soon as Minseok stepped inside the room. Minseok took his shoes off and gently placed them to the side. He arranged Jaekyung’s shoes as well.

 

Jaekyung was sitting at the floor. No, it was more like she lying on the floor while watching TV. “It took so much time to cook the chicken. Sorry.” Minseok said as he walked towards her and plopped down to the spot next to her.

 

“Chicken? You bought chicken? That’s great!” she cheered happily. “…. is that.. beer?” she asked as her eyes widened, she took the plastic bag from him and took out the bottles. Her expression turned sour as she raised one bottle and turned to Minseok. “Why did you buy soy milk? Did you accidental grab this thinking that it’s beer?” she asked him.

 

Minseok shook his head with a smile. “No.”

 

“Why soy milk? You should’ve bought beer.”

 

“We shouldn’t drink. Just think of it as beer. The packaging is almost the same right?” Minseok grinned at her.

 

“Sehun called me while you were gone.” Jaekyung said as she started eating.

 

Minseo grabbed a chicken leg and started to eat as well. “What did he say?”

 

“To eat lots. To sleep early. And to drink milk. Sehun likes drinking milk.” Jaekyung mumbled as she gnawed on the chicken while shaking her head. “He’s still a kid isn’t he?”

 

“It seems that you and Sehun are so close.” Minseok told her. They were always together. And Sehun knows a lot about her. And they seem really really close. And he would always wonder how.. and why.

 

Jaekyung nodded at him. “We are. We’re from the same school and Sehun used to like me.” She said in a natural tone as if it wasn’t something that bothered her.

 

Minseok’s eyes widened at what she just said. He almost choked on the chicken that he was munching on. “He …what?” he asked in disbelief. Sehun as in Oh Sehun, that tall poker faced boy, the one who offered to help him with Jaekyung, he… liked her?

 

How? Why? When?

 

“Sehun used to like me before. He’d always follow me around school shouting ‘I love you Noona’ at me. And then, he’d be giving me a box full of sweets every week. Isn’t he cute? That went on for like.. two years.” Jaekyung told him as she opened the bottle with the can opener which came with it. 

 

That brat. He didn’t even tell me about this. So this is why he knows a whole lot of stuff about Jaekyung. I’ll kill him when we get back. Minseok thought as grabbed another chicken leg. Oh Sehun is so dead.

 

“Why are you silent? You couldn’t believe that there are other guys who can like me don’t you?” Jaekyung gave him a look.

 

Minseok shook his head in response as he cleared his throat. “That’s not it. Seriously. I didn’t even think of that.”

 

Jaekyung just laughed at him. He was always panicky. And it looked cute.

 

“You’re definitely laughing at me.”

 

Jaekyung shook her head while smiling. “I’m not.”

 

“Then what?”

 

“I was just thinking that you looked cute when you’re panicking.”

 

Minseok felt his blood rush up to his cheeks at the very moment. He didn’t expect her to just drop compliments out of nowhere. “I’m ..cute?”

 

She nodded at him. “You are.” Then she turned to look at the TV to watch the series on going. Minseok just looked at her. Her face. Her pointed nose. Her lips which was partly covered in chicken’s grease.

 

How would it feel like to actually kiss her? Jaekyung had kissed her before but it was too fast.  Too sudden. And he already forgot how it felt like.

 

“Jaekyung, look at me.”

 

Jaekyung turned to look at him with questioning eyes, as if she's talking to him asking 'what'.

 

“What do you see?”

 

“You. Why? Is there a ghost here?” she asked as she cautiously looked around. She didn’t actually like the idea of ghosts.

 

“No.” Minseok whined. “Just look at my face.”

 

Jaekyung did. She stared at him right in the eye which made Minseok feel a little conscious. But still, he didn’t stop. “I’m good looking right?”

 

“Food looking?”

 

“YOO JAEKYUNG!” he hollered at her.

 

Jaekyung chuckled in response. Messing with Minseok is really fun. “I was just kidding. Why are you always so serious? You'll age faster if you're like that”

 

“Just answer me.” He demanded.

 

Jaekyung leaned in a little closer to observe him and his features. “You are. You have a sharp nose. Cute cheeks. Thin lips. Your eyebrows are thick. And your eyes… yes. You’re good looking. Why?”she said as she continued staring at him. And she just realized that this guy is actually totally really handsome.

 

“If I’m good looking, then would you please just stare at my face all you want until you finally forget about that Jaehyun? Why don’t you fall for me instead? Everyday, look at my face and just fall in love with me. Forget about him. Will you?”

 

Jaekyung blinked at him. “W-what?”

 

“I’m good looking right? Then why don’t you consider looking at me until you finally fall in love with me? Jaekyung, just fall for me and forget about that guy.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Heh. <3