ONE

Wrong Number

 

 

 

 

 

“Ahjusshi, please deliver some chicken here.”

 

 

 

 

Xiumin’s brows lightly creased as he blinked at his phone twice before placing it beside his right ear. “I think you called the wrong number…” he mumbled in uncertainty, not knowing what to say. And before he can add anything else,

 

 

 

“2 …boxes of chicken please.”

 

 

 

The voice of the person on the other line was a bit unsteady and kind of muzzy. But it’s a girl because of her pitch and all. He was sure that it was a girl despite the tipsy voice and all the burps she has made. And from the looks of it, she seemed drunk.

 

Terribly drunk.

 

Xiumin bit his lower lip, trying to think of anything good to say. He has never encountered talking to a drunk girl asking him to deliver some chicken to her.

 

Ever.

 

So first things first, he needs to explain that she called the wrong number and then politely ask her to call a real chicken shop instead. He has to end this call quickly since he has much more important stuff to do and it definitely doesn’t include delivering chicken to some drunk girl. He thought to himself as he began talking. “You called the wrong number...”

 

 

 

“I’m at Hongdae. Please come here quickly while my beer is still cold. And please add lots of gravy to the chicken.”

 

 

 

She’s clearly not listening to me. He thought as he sighed. Minseok glanced at his watch. 11:45. It’s almost midnight. He has to hung up the phone and arrange all the drafts his officemates asked him to do since it’s due tomorrow.

 

“If you want I’ll just call a chicken shop and ask them to deliver chicken to you. Where do you live again?” he politely asked her.

 

He couldn’t clearly hear her voice earlier since the line was too noisy. Ear splitting music. Clinking of glasses. People chatting loudly. It seemed as if she’s drinking in a bar.

 

Minseok lightly shook his head. He really dislikes girls who drink. So he wanted to end the call as much as possible. “There’s no chicken here. Please call another shop instead.” he mumbled lazily.

 

 

"I said I want two boxes of chicken!"

"What’s so wrong about that?!"

"Why do you need to ask another chicken shop to deliver chicken to me?!"

"Are you rejecting me now?!"

"You’re rejecting me aren’t you?!"

"You’re definitely rejecting me!"

"You’re just like him then!"

"Why do you have to reject me too?!"

"What’s wrong with me? Huh?!"

"Tell me. Why is a chicken shop rejecting me too?!"

 

 

 

His eyes widened when she suddenly went on rampage and said things he couldn’t even comprehend. Her voice was so loud for she was literally screaming. What's worse is his phone was just right beside his ear. And Minseok was thinking if his ears were damaged or whatever. But she was saying things like she was rejected. That he’s just like him and all.

 

Before he could say anything to clear the commotion, he heard her sniffling. Her sniffles slowly turned into whimpers. And in a few more seconds, she was already crying.

 

Scratch that she was bawling loudly.

 

Damn. It was because of him. He knew it was definitely not his fault. But still, he couldn’t help himself but to feel anything but guilt.

 

As much as he hated her for randomly calling him and screaming right at his ear, he couldn’t help but think that he made her cry.

 

 

 

“I don’t understand it. We we’re okay aren’t we? Why did you suddenly decide to break up with me? Tell me! Tell me the reason why!”

 

 

 

Minseok scratched the back of his head in annoyance and confusion. He was annoyed of the bizarre situation he was in. And confused of what’s he’s going to say to this drunkard.

 

This girl never listened to anything that he said. First she mistook him as someone who runs a chicken shop and asks for two boxes of chicken. And now she’s thinking of him as her boyfriend.

 

Ex-boyfriend maybe.

 

 

 

“Jaehyun-ah, can’t we fix this?”

 

 

 

Her voice was pleading. And he couldn’t stand hearing or worse, seeing a girl cry. That Jaehyun’s definitely a jerk. He thought as he shook his head in displeasure.

 

How dare he make his girlfriend cry?

 

 

 

“Is it because of me? Tell me what did I do?”

 

 

 

Mnseok ran his hand through his hair as he tried to get the right words. “Please listen to me. I’m not your boyfriend. You called the wrong person.” He explained to her as clear as he could. And he wished that she would say yes and hung up the phone even though he felt a bit sorry for her.

 

But what he said caused him even more trouble.

 

 

 

“What now? You’re even lying to me saying that you’re not Jaehyun?! You think I’d fall for that? You rotten brat!”

 

 

 

Minseok rolled his eyes and sighed exasperatedly. What kind of bad luck is this?

 

 

 

 

“Yah! Come here quickly!”

“If I see you, I’ll seriously shave your brows!”

“I ditched all of my meetings and appointments today because of you!”

“….Jaehyun-ah,”

“………”

“Can’t we …talk for a bit?”

“Let’s talk. I’m at Hongdae. Okay? I’ll wait for you.”

“I’ll do everything you want.”

“Please …don’t break up with me.”

 

 

 

Slowly, her harsh words turned into pleas. Her loud voice turned into the quitest whispers. Minseok couldn't help but feel sad for her. This girl is desperately asking him to come back to her despite the fact that he broke up with her already. Does she love him that much? Minseok thought that these kinds of scenarios only happens in dramas.

 

So it does really happen in real life huh? Whatever. It’s not my problem. And it won’t happen to me. Ever. He thought in determination. There’s no way he’d cry like this and desperately ask someone to stay with him. He can’t picture that happening to him.

 

Ever.

 

 

Minseok noticed that he already wasted a lot of time for this girl. He should hang up now. Like seriously. He kind of pitied her but he doesn’t even know her. So she doesn’t matter that much. And he was sure that she’ll recover from her heartbreak soon. So there’s no need to talk to her anymore. He was sure that she can handle this mess by herself. That tomorrow, when she wake up, she'll be fine.

 

So for the last time, Minseok cleared his throat and spoke. “I’m busy. I’m hanging up---“

 

 

“If you hang up on me right now I swear I’ll really throw myself in the river or maybe I’ll run across the highway and have some car hit me.”

 

 

Minseok’s eyes widened in bewilderment because of what he just heard. She's literally telling him that she’s thinking of suicide. “Yah. You.. shouldn’t joke about those things. You----“

 

 

 

“Do you think I’m joking? If you don’t go to me right now, Jaehyun-ah, I’ll really kill myself.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Large.gif

 

Hiiiiiiii! I hope you liked the prologue. :>

 

 

 

Hearteu.