Fighting.

Last Genuine Smile

Saerum's P.o.V.

I opened my eyes with a white ceiling waiting for me. I looked around as I saw the nurse.

"Ma'am, what happened?" I asked her as she looked at me.

"Oh, you're awake. You collapsed in the classroom." She explained as she grabbed a set of papers.

"Now, narrate what had happen and we'll call the liable people at the principal's office." She said as she handed the paper to me. 

It is a Narrative Report for me to use in offenses.

I told them the whole story, from the start until I was saved. I left it on the bed where I laid and bid my gratitude and farewell at the nurse.

"Saerum!" A cheery voice shouted. I turned around as I saw Myungsoo.

"Hello!" I said as he smiled and approached me.

"The others came home. I have decided to stay so that someone would you home. How are you now?" He asked.

"Perfectly fine." I replied and smiled at me.

"O..oh. What about the lunch that I have prepared a while ago? Did you like it?" He asked as I nodded.

"Yes, I did." I said and smiled at him. It is somehow nice to have a friend like him; caring and easy-going. Just like...the Chanyeol...before.

"I'm glad." He said as we walked home. 

"Alright, let's separate from here." Myungsoo said and smiled at me.

"Annyeong!" He said as I responded. He walked a few meters as I saw Chanyeol in him; he's like the Chanyeol that asks how your state is each and every time. I was slightly annoyed before, but now? I miss it.

"Myungsoo!" I said. He turned around and faced me.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Uh..Thanks." I said and smiled sheepishly. He shook his head and smiled.

"It's nothing." He said and ran home. I entered my house and opened the door.

"What happened, Saerum? The clinic called me a while ago! What happened to you?" She asked as I shook my head.

"Nothing much." I said as she made a frown.

"It's not a nothing. Sit down and we'll talk." She said as I followed. She stared at me sharply as I sat in terror. Little did I know that I am now narrating how my classmates locked me up, how the K gang laughed at me, and how the M saved me, being the honest child I am.

"Let's go to Chanyeol and make him apologize." She said as I shook my head.

"Don't be scared." She invited.

"No, mom. I am afraid that he would just disrespect you. He's rude now, influence, I suppose." I said and smiled at her. I climbed up the staircase and did my usual routine.

Mrs. Kang's P.o.V. (Saerum's Mother)

It irks me to see that my child let things be the way it is. But I was also touched by her remarks. She does not want me to be answered rudely by Chanyeol, which made me smile just by thinking about it. I have raised my child well.

I was about to prepare myself to visit the neighbor when I heard a knock. I immediately opened it, only to see Mrs. Park.

I smiled at her, but I noticed the worried look on her face, and took her in.

"What makes you drop by, Mrs. Park?" I asked as she looked at me.

"Good afternoon. Actually...I want to talk to Saerum. But don't worry, I just want to inquire about a few matters regarding Chanyeol. I also want you to be present, Mrs. Kang." She said as I nodded. I called Saerum  as she went downstairs obediently. She was shocked to see Mrs. Park, but continued instead.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Park. How may I help you?" She asked and sat down.

"Good afternoon. I want to talk about my son, Chanyeol." Mrs. Park said as Saerum bent her head down. A frown was marked on her face with sadness mixed in it. She looked straight at Mrs. Park's face  and smiled a little.

"W...what about him?" She asked nervously.

"Chanyeol has been rude to us these past days. When he was assigned a few tasks, he would react angrily--before, he did things patiently. He also starts to answer me and my husband. I don't know why." She said, keeping her temper with her.

"He has been like that to me too. I..I.." She said and hesitated.

"Ah, don't mind it. He probably was influenced by his new friends. A day ago, he bullied a person, punched and kicked him, without that person doing anything. But little did he know that the person was beaten up in the house, and his tuition fee was being snatched by his father. I prefer not to tell you about the things he did to us...to me. But that’s one.” She narrated as Mrs. Park noticed her cheek while looking at her.

“What happened?” Mrs. Park asked and tapped her cheek, making Saerum bounce back in horror and wince in pain.

“S..sorry. Nothing, nothing happened here.” Saerum said, leaving Mrs. Park unsatisfied.

“Tell me. Chanyeol did it, did he not?” She asked as Saerum shook her head.

“No, ma’am. H-he did not.” She replied, stuttering.

“I figured. He really did it. The nerve of that child. Could you...do something about it?” Mrs. Park asked.

“I’m afraid I can’t, he hates me now too.” She replied sadly as Mrs. Park stood up.

“Thank you very much, Saerum.” She said.

“And thank you very much, Mrs. Kang.”

--

 

Saerum’s P.o.V.

I smiled back at mom.

“You did well, Saerum. You’re an honest kid.” My mom cheered as I smiled back at her.

“I’ll be going upstairs now, mom. I  will read the book dad gave to me.” I said as she smiled and let me. I have finished the task and have decided to sit by the balcony, reading the book peacefully.

I fetched the book and grabbed a chair. I opened it and smiled, staring at the chapter one.

I read it peacefully until I reached the fifth chapter, but was cut off when a noise from the other house came.

“Chanyeol!” A voice shouted.

“What’s your problem?!”

“How could you be such a rude child?!”

“Whatever!” He said and marched to his room. I shook my head and continued reading. It would be obvious if I hide, and that would make me look like I am eavesdropping.

“It’s all your fault, Saerum! If you did not just faint!” He said and took his steps near me, just in front of the balcony.

“If you did just help me.”

“And why should I?”

“Then why are you complaining that I fainted?” I said calmly as I flipped another page.

He grabbed me by my hair and pulled me up.

“Chanyeol!” A voice screamed—Mrs. Park’s.

“Release me!” I shouted and slapped it away, making my cheeks bump on the balcony.

“How rude! Say sorry to her!” Mrs. Park shouted.

“I won’t!”

“I’m sorry, Saerum.” Mrs. Park said as I nodded and went inside slowly.

“What have you done to our neighbor?! It is extremely discourteous!”

“Who cares?”

“Why are you being like that?!” Her mom shouted as mom approached me.

“Who did this?” She asked as she heard the screams from outside.

“Let’s go. I can’t bear seeing this now.” Mom said, still in a calm tone. She let me follow as she opened the door.

“Mrs. Park, could you please fix the behaviour of your son? My child has never done anything wrong! She has been hurt four times in a row! And it is all because of your child!” She defended and pulled me softly with her.

“See this?” She asked and pointed at my cheeks.


“This was done by your child. No, Chanyeol, you should be the one I should talk to. You were the one who did this. I know that you would answer no if I ask you if you care. Now, don’t act like you’re brave and such, that you will  be better if you continue on with that behaviour, because you won’t. Be lucky that you have parents who still support you. See the guy you beat up yesterday? He was abused by his dad, and nearly did not study. He worked himself up, just to feed his mom and his sister. He does not even eat, and uses his food money to study, and now, you’ll act rudely? Please, act courteously.” My mom said straight, making me gape in amazement.

“Whatever.” Chanyeol said and entered his room.

Mrs. Park bowed so many times in apology as we just nodded in understanding. We entered the house.

“Saerum.” Mom said, looking at me.

“What is it, mom?” I asked.

“The Park’s are close friends of mine, and it hurts me to see that they are losing their minds with that insolent brat. Could you think up of something?” Mom asked as I shook my head.

“I probably can’t do it, but I will try and try.” I said as she smiled.

“Thank you. Grip on, Saerum.”

“Grip on, mom.”