Head and Tail

Last Genuine Smile

Last Genuine Smile.

 

A certain sound took me up from my deep slumber. But even though I am not fully awake yet, I knew it was the sign for me to wake up. I have been used with this schedule for the past few years though, but since I have been skipping this routine for a while now, I felt that it was Greek to me. It was lonely, and I guess I will have to deal with it each day.

I sat down and proclaimed that I am already up. There, the continuous knock faltered. He must have been irritated since before, he leaves a comment after waking me up. Contented with the silence, I then recalled some reminders from yesterday—a few assignments, some tasks, and Sehun’s case.

It was not like I felt that I had no choice. I just narrowed the path in deriving the answer that would bring good to all. I felt that I made the most practical choice too, and I guess my mom respected me for that. Even though I felt it was not right.

It was sacrificial even, since my reputation is included. From here, I know that I will be hearing a few words the moment I step on the school’s premises.

I stepped out of the shower as I heard Chanyeol’s complains from the next window.

“Are you done? Just finish preparing you little girl. I even think I’m a nanny now. Waking you up and such.” He said as I fixed my school tie. I then nodded and smiled. After all, there’s still a little Chanyeol left in him.

“I’m done. But I guess you are not.” I said as he asked me why. There, I took my bag and opened the window for him to see me.

“Your identification card, the materials for the school’s foundation day, and your hair.” I said and tossed a comb which he caught on time.

“How did you know?” He asked as I smiled and placed my headband.

“Just guessing. And keep your hair down, since I will be checking the class’ attire later.” I replied and closed the window.

I rushed down the stairs as my mother and father greeted me with a warm smile. It has been my usual happiness post for the meantime, and I am glad for that.

“You seem happy today.” They said sarcastically as I frowned. After that, they laughed.

“Of course!”  I said as they chuckled again.

“Don’t stress yourself, my dear.” My father said as I nodded.

They went back to discussing how my father’s work is going well while I ate the sandwich on top of the table. It was good to see how they are going along.

 “I’m going out now. Goodbye!” I said and waved, heading to the door.

I was pretty shocked when Chanyeol stood up by the gate, but I was even more surprised that Sehun was standing beside him. It was pretty awkward, but I just made my way like my usual routine.

 


The flight was pretty good for them. As for me, I just kept silent the whole time, walking behind them and staring at the view. I just noticed that the environment is at its best when I am alone, or when I feel alone, rather.

“Saerum, over here.” Chanyeol said as I gave him a questioning look and walked towards him. I was pretty shocked that he still called my name, but I felt happy.

“Why?” I asked placidly as Sehun gave space for me to fit between them.

“Can I go with you during dismissal?” He asked as Sehun chuckled for the lame question.

“Yes, but I’ll be dropping by somewhere.”

“Alright.”

Silence fell as we continued our walk. But afterwards, I felt that Sehun went cold. He also kept on staring at the back and sidewards. He felt uneasy. Chanyeol knew it too, and asked Sehun on what the problem was.
 

“Bear with me for a second.” Sehun said as he slung his arm around me and continued walking casually. Chanyeol nodded and took distance for a while.

It was new to me that Chanyeol acted strange, but I guess it was about something, and I know what it is about.

Our school trip went pretty fine after Sehun instructed us to do something. I guess it was one of the things that made him start the conversation, and I admire him for having a talent like that. There, we started discussing about a few things—including our daily lives.

“Me and my sister visit the Lotte World every week. I’m starting to get tired of it, but she does that aegyo every time.” Sehun narrated.

I guess we will have to cease our fights for a while, seeing that we are in a condition where we should stick together.

“Koreans really can’t resist that.” Chanyeol commented as I nodded.

“That’s very cute. I wish I could meet her sometime.” I commented as they nodded.

“Me too.” Chanyeol said.

“Then let’s schedule a meet-up.” He said.

I was merely taken aback by his statement. Maybe it was because he was shocked, but seeing his face, he might be serious. I was pretty surprised that he will let an enemy meet his sister, or probably, it was because I will be helping him.

“Really?” Chanyeol asked.

I just remembered that Chanyeol really liked kids. I encountered this many times—while we were at the park, at the streets, and even at the school. It was really nice of him.

As for Sehun, I was shocked to see that he has a sister, and I just noticed that when it was discussed, the certain dark side of him turned upside-down.

“We could go on Saturday.” Sehun said as the two of us nodded again.

“I’ve got no schedule to do.”

“Same.”

 

We reached the gate when I took distance from the two of them. Since there are guards and we were covered by a large gate, I felt that there was no necessity for us to go with each other.

“I know you have to maintain your gangster look.” I said as they nodded.

“We’re sorry.” Chanyeol said.

“Thank you.” Sehun continued.

“I’ll be charging in first.” I said as they laughed.

I do think that I am good in terms with Chanyeol, but I guess that is when only the two of us are left. Meaning, when he is with his group, it can’t be helped that he will have no choice but to challenge and mock me. It was fine though, but it was good that the fights were stopped even for a second.

“Good morning.” I said as the class greeted me casually. Some were sitting on the floor, some were standing, and some were answering a few tasks.

It was not good in sight that is why I stood up on the teacher’s chair and called their attentions. There, they sat down on their respective chairs as I noticed Chanyeol and Sehun enter and join their gang.

“Alright. So we are complete. I just would like to announce that our homeroom adviser is not here due to influenza, and that I will take charge of the class for the meantime.” I said as they showed signs of victory.

“So, I’ll be checking your attires first. Boys, stand up.” I said.

“Socks.” I said and roamed around.

“No problem.”

“Identification Card. Lee, you left it?”

“I lost it.” My classmate said.

“I’ll be going with you to the treasurer for a replacement. Recess, maybe?” I asked as he nodded.

“Alright. Hair.” I said and looked around from my point of view.

“Chanyeol, Sehun, Kai, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Suho. Fix that.” I said as they laughed.

I see that after giving Chanyeol the comb, he fixed his hair again the moment he entered the school. That is probably why they came late.

“No way. I fixed this for twenty minutes.” Suho said as I smiled.

“Efforts get wasted when your goal is set on the wrong thing.” I said as the whole class started howling.

“Why? Mine looks alright.” Baekhyun said.

“It looks like a birds’ nest. Why do you keep on shuffling that?” I asked as he rolled his eyes.

“Bring your combs out.” I ordered as they followed. Then, I went near them and fixed their hair properly.

“You could always fix your hair in a manner that it would look decent.” I said as they nodded and sat down.

“Did you bring all of your costumes?” I asked as they all nodded. I then told them to bring them out and wear them.

 

“We will be having our general rehearsal.”

 

 

--

I did not tolerate their fight scenes that much, did I? I admit it wasn't that clear, since they still are talking with each other. But don't worry, expect something.