Grief and Happiness

Last Genuine Smile

Chanyeol's P.o.V.

I froze as I saw Saerum walk away escorting the boy I beated up.

"Nice man." Said Kai as I took a deep breath.

"I missed this." Suho said as I looked at him.

"You did those things before?" I asked as they nodded.

"We stopped when we got grounded. But now, who cares?" Said Baekhyun freely.

I separated from them after the event, I am now walking alone.

"You are not the Chanyeol that I used to know anymore."
Flashback

"I'm getting tired of this arcade!" Kyungsoo said as all of us nodded. We went outside as we walked without thinking of where we should go. Our feet were dragged to a certain street which  we do not know.
"See that man?" Kai asked, pointing at the boy, just around our age, walking silently, holding his books tight to his chest. His eyes are swollen, and it is vital that he cried not a long time ago.

"Yes, why?" I asked.

"Let's beat him up." He said.

"That's wrong!" I defended.

"Nah, just try it one time, and nothing will be wrong!" Kai said as they nodded.

"I have said those things before, but I enjoyed beating people up." Suho said.

"You start, Chanyeol." Baekhyun invited as I shook my head.

"Then I will." He said, clenching his fist, and running towards him. A small scream was heard after that. 

"You next." He said as I swallowed nervously. I looked away as I punched him next. But as time passed by, I enjoy beating him up. Every punch and kick I threw, it was filled with excitement and happiness. All of them screamed  and cheered as I looked away,

that's when Saerum came.


--End of Flashback--

I went home as I saw Saerum with the boy, at the front of her house. A medical kit was placed on her lap as she cured his wounds. I gritted my teeth in annoyance as I headed inside my house.

I'm dauntless now. I'm not the nerdy Chanyeol anymore.


Saerum's P.o.V.

"What did you do to them?" I asked the boy in front of me. I rolled the cotton bud on the wound on his right cheek as I examined his features. He's handsome, I must say. But his actions does not match his face. His hair is plain black, and he has small eyes, I suppose he should belong to the 'kingka' group, but based on the things he's holding, he's just like me, a nerd, or so they call. A ballpen that has its trunk scratched, a book that is famillar to me, and a notebook with its edges flapping out. Those are the things that a nerdy person, just like me, have. I am a bit different, because I know how to fight. But that does not mean that I am out of the league. Drifting away, his actions are modest and demure; soft like a feather.

"Oh, Saerum's my name, by the way." I said as he nodded.

"Myungsoo here." He said in a stammering tone.

"So, what did you do to them?"

"I..I was walking...down the street, and a punch was suddenly thrown in me." He narrated.

"So you did nothing that is not pleasing to them?" I asked as he shook his head.

"Nothing."

"B..by the way, thank you...for this." He said, stuttering.

"No problem. Why are you in that street? It's somehow abandoned, and only a few use it." I inquired.

"Actually." He said as a tear fell on his cheek.

"Hey, don't cry." I said as I wiped his tears with my hankerchief.

"Sorry." He said as I nodded.

"Go ahead." I invited as he gave me a little smile.

"My...father is a drunkard. He uses our money up for his own, he even used my tuition up for his vices." He narrated gravely as I nodded, letting him speak.

"I work on a house in that street as a butler, too young for the job, am I not? But I need money to support my mom and my little sister, and for my studies too."

"I see. You're working hard." I said as he nodded.

"Oh, is that Rhapsody? That's one of my favorite books!" I said, looking at the blue book with a blue cover and a few illustrations, as he smiled.

"Yes, I am going to read it later. I borrowed it from the library." He said as I smiled.

"Saerum, invite your friend to eat." My mom said as I followed.

"Let's go!"

"Uh...I'm owing you too much." He said awkwardly.

"You're not. We're friends now, right?" I asked him as he nodded happily.

"And you're my only friend, in this situation." I continued as I pulled him inside.

---

"So Chanyeol beated you up? He's living on the house beside this." Mom said as a terror look was painted on Myungsoo's face.

"Don't worry, I'm a black belter. I could beat him up if he dares come near you again." I teased as he smiled.

"Really?" 

"Yes."

----

"Thank you very much, ma'am."

"Visit us on your way to work, alright?" Mom said.

"Wait." I said as he stopped from opening the door. I told him to wait as I headed upstairs. I grabbed a red box under my bed as I flew downstairs.

"Here. You could have it." I said as he reached for it and opened the box.

"B...but....this is too much." He said calmly.

"Use it for your tuition fee, alright?" I said as he gave it back to me.

"But..it's yours. I can't accept it. You gave me too much already." He said as I shook my head.

"I think it's time for me to give my blessings, am I right? Accept it already. It's for your family too." I said, he cannot ignore anymore.

"Thank you very much!" he said as he smiled gratefully.

"No problem." Mom and I said as he went outside and walked to his home.

"How much is inside?" My mom asked.

"I don't know, I have been saving it up since I was eight."

"For six years already?! Man, that's too much."

"Nothing's too much." I said as she smiled.

"Aigoo, my child has a golden heart."

"Omma!" I shouted.

"And that Myungsoo's handsome too, really handsome. I like him, he works hard even with  that kind of situation. You know, when you get older, he'll return the red box to you...with a ring inside." 

"Mooom!" I shouted as she laughed.

"Regarding Chanyeol, did he really do it?" She asked as I nodded. I pointed my swollen cheeks to her.

"He did this too." I said as my mom's eyes widened.

"Oh my gosh. What just happened?"

"Friends, influence. The ones that dined in here yesterday, they were the ones who pushed Chanyeol." I said as she looked at me with disbelief.

"Jinja?" She asked.

"Yeah, mom."

"I thought he was a good boy."

"I thought too."

------
I headed upstairs as I placed my small bag neatly. I looked at the curtains as I exhaled. I went near it, and set it aside as I swung the door open.

I want to see Chanyeol.

"What? Looking at me again?" he asked.

"I'm just capturing fresh air." I defended, although pain struck me.

"But no thanks, the freshness will just rot with you in here." I said as I closed the door.

"You're crying now, aren't you? Don't deny it, I know you well. But I am sorry, I won't pity you anymore, nerd." He said.

"What happened to you now, Chanyeol?" I asked as I opened the door.

"I'm not crying, you don't know me well." I said and smiled at him.

"Good-bye." I said, stressing the syllables. I closed the door and released the curtains. 

I finished my tasks wholeheartedly as I sat on my bed. Tears escaped on my eyes, probably Chanyeol is hearing of it well. I wiped them as I opened the door, trying not to make a noise. I looked at his room, but it is now closed, with rock sounds coming from it.

You have changed, Chanyeol.