No

Last Genuine Smile

Saerum’s P.o.V.
A night passed, and the school gates will be opened again. I stared at Chanyeol’s door as a sigh escaped from my lips. I kept in my mind that he is not the Dobi, and the Yeollie that I knew—that he was Chanyeol in the present. A wild and a viscous schoolboy. I know that he would be popular in no time, and I will just be his wallflower—staying behind, and watching him from afar. He was not the Chanyeol who does not runs for fame nor dreams for his future anymore. Only a few days have passed, and his attitude was altered from top to toe.

I held my cheeks which are swollen by the events yesterday  as I went downstairs. Its color is not reddish anymore; it turned violet, and nearly black. I pressed it, suppressing the pain that jabs in me. I let it cool down for a while as I prepared for school.

“Annyeong, appa and omma!” I shouted as I wore my shoes and went outside. I looked at his house again, I guess it was counted as my habit not long ago. I continued walking with my head bent down. I reached the school as laughters raised up.

“So, what happened to the Top One now?? You’re being weak, Saerum.” A voice teased. I did not have to look at whom the speaker was, for I knew it was Kai.

“Yeah, too weak to even look at me straight in the eyes.” Another said. I faced them, clenching my fist as I stared up to the one speaking.

“I can look straight at you, Chanyeol. And don’t expect much, for your name will always be below mine.” I said as he chuckled.

“Acting brave, aren’t we?” He asked and tapped my injured cheek, pressing it harder and harder. I told myself to press on, and took a deep breath.

“I really am brave. You are the one who is acting brave. You bullied a helpless man, and is afraid to face me, who is a black belter, head on.” I said, slapping his hands away, and entered inside the room. Murmurs spread like wildfire, or should I be using that phrase in certain instances? But I just ignored it and sat down.

“I am not afraid of you, Saerum. I am just waiting for the right time.” He shouted.

“Yes, of course, I would spare you. I guess you need time to make the perfect plan against me.” I said, ignoring the pain that resides in me.

Jane and Mary sided with the self-proclaimed kingkas, leaving me alone. I guess I have no friends now, except for those boys.

I stared at the window beside me as I noticed a familiar figure walking down the street. He was wearing a creamy white blouse, which I think has been used for years, and a pair of black slacks with the seams flying around. I suppose that he is on his way to school. Although I want to greet him, I cannot dare shout because I am on the second floor, and it would capture attention.

The man walking stared directly at me as he smiled. I smiled back at him as I nodded. I guess I would not have the need to shout.

“Fighting, Myungsoo.” I wrote as he smiled.

“Jiayou~” He said and walked with a smile etched on his face.

I felt happy, because I know that I could lean on someone, although our distance is a bit far, but it’s not too much, I guess.

We continued on our discussions as I focused myself on it, forgetting about my problems. I have decided to think that it is not nice that I should bring my problems and not focus on the discussions. I cannot be weak in front of them, and I should be not.

I still have friends, my Taekwondo ones, and Myungsoo. It must not be a good sight for me hanging out with boys, but it left me no choice. Everybody—no, almost everybody, judges me, and I know that  I cannot please all of them.

“Miss Kang, please answer number one on the board, and Mister Park, please answer number two.” The teacher said as I stood up with Chanyeol, walking myself to the board.

I held the chalk as I wrote my solution to the board. Not long after that, Chanyeol came beside me and did what I did too.

“Sweetie, do you—“ he whispered and paused. He probably realized that he’s one of them now, and decided not to ask me anymore. He shook his head and proceeded with the solution. It hurts, I know, but I have to grip on.

Yes, grip on.

I took my seat as he took his.

“Mr. Park, your answer is wrong by one number.” The teacher said.

“Mian. That’s because you made me do so. Tsch.” He said.

“Who told you  to be-“ The teacher’s eyes burned in anger.

“Rude? Yes, I am rude.” He said and placed his feet on the chair across him.

“Rather discourteous, or ill-mannered, I must say.” I remarked.

“Sir, your anger should not be moved by a person who gives no importance in this world. Continue on, I suppose many students are waiting for you.” I explained as he nodded.

“You could call him later at the faculty room, sir.” I said as he proceeded.

“Do you think that you could capture the hearts of our teachers and let them make you on the top?” Chanyeol said and stood up.

“I do not, but I know how to respect. I am on the top because I have been studying hard! I push myself to the limits, I even sleep at twelve in the evening and wake up at four just to study! You, all of you may have not seen my efforts completely, but I know what I am doing! Each time! AND YOU PLAN ON PLAYING WITH ME? WHO ARE YOU KIDDING, CHANYEOL?!” I shouted as tears escaped my eyes.

“I am sorry for being rude and taking your time, sir. You could now proceed. I know that it is not nice to let a question hanging and unanswered, and that’s why I gave him mine.” I said patiently, wiping my tears away, as he continued with sympathetic eyes, focused on me.

As usual, nobody still dared to approach and comfort me. It is not like expect things such as that to happen, but I need something to lean on.

I grabbed my small towel and wiped my tears away.

“Saerum, a package came for you.” My classmate said as I nodded thankfully.

I opened the small brown box as it revealed a lunchbox. A letter was attached to it.

Grip on, Saerum. Fighting! Let’s work hard together~

Myungsoo”

I smiled at his sweetness as I ate the food, taking each bite with great appreciation.

“Saerum~” A voice said.

“Luhan!” I shouted as five heads popped behind him.

“EXO-M!” I shouted as they entered my classroom. The people in the room went outside the canteen to buy food.

“Hey, you’re gaining fangirls. It’s good. You have patient ones.” I said and smiled at them.

“Yeah. I’m happy.” Kris cheered as I stared at a few girls outside. They are taking silent glances at the six, and looked away, flustered.

“And see those six girls waiting outside? Each of us have one fangirl. It suffices, I say. Having at least one person who adores you so much. It’s a relief.” Luhan said as I nodded.

Having at least one person who adores you so much. I’m afraid I cannot have one.

“Entertain them, will you?” I said sarcastically as they shook their heads and smiled. I was portraying one good lesson, and I am glad they got it.

“I’m afraid I cannot.” Said Chen.

“Why?”

“If I would entertain them, I would just learn how to play with girls, and that would not be good. “ He explained.

“Yeah, me too.” Kris replied shortly.

“I would just deny them their love fates.” Said Lay.

“Your thinking’s deep, as expected. Elaborate, oppa.” I said as he nodded.

“If someone is fated to be with that girl, for example, a quiet, timid boy who likes her. If I would return her feelings, but not in a romantic way, the boy would probably give up, so better not mess, and know your place.” Lay explained as I smiled.

“You’re good.” I said as they smiled.

That is why I adore these guys. They know their places, and they know that hearts are not meant to be wounded, unlike the K group, who only knows how to break hearts like nothing, but just for their pleasures.

“You have been crying, haven’t you?” Luhan asked as I shook my head.

“Aniyo.” I said.

“Don’t deny it.” Kris said as they sent me sharp stares.

“Alright, alright. I did.” I admitted wholeheartedly.

“Why?”

“Because of me.” Chanyeol said.

“It’s already time, guys. Let’s go back to our classrooms.” I said, trying to stop the commotion building up.

“No.”